**Q&A ONLY** Ask the MODERATORS your Forum Questions **NO DISCUSSION**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I go to a subscribed thread, I can click on a "first unread post" button which takes me to the place where I left off.

However, when I have more than one subscribed thread, I often only have time to look at one on that visit. When I come back later to read the second subscribed thread, the thread title no longer appears in bold (indicating there are unread posts), and there is no "first unread post" button. It's as if the forum assumes I've read everything on the previous visit.

Is there a fix for this?

Can I ask this again, please? My question got swamped by the Yellow Peril.

The situation now - three threads were highlighted. I have to go out now, so I've only opened this thread, but when I come back, the other two won't show as unread, and won't take me to the last unread post, because the board seems to assume I'm opening them now, iyswim.

Either "that color" has gone (for good? -- dare I dream??) or I have gone yellow blind if there is such a thing.

I think it's just gone, thank goodness! I don't see any more yellow ick anymore either and I'm pretty sure I can still see that color... lol.

When I go to a subscribed thread, I can click on a "first unread post" button which takes me to the place where I left off.

However, when I have more than one subscribed thread, I often only have time to look at one on that visit. When I come back later to read the second subscribed thread, the thread title no longer appears in bold (indicating there are unread posts), and there is no "first unread post" button. It's as if the forum assumes I've read everything on the previous visit.

Is there a fix for this?

The situation now - three threads were highlighted. I have to go out now, so I've only opened this thread, but when I come back, the other two won't show as unread, and won't take me to the last unread post, because the board seems to assume I'm opening them now, iyswim.

Can't anyone advise me on this? Is there a better place to ask?

Cherwell, I'm not familiar with this so I am alerting on it so that maybe someone from Admin can come in an answer it.

Is there a fix for this?

Cherwell, so sorry for the delay! I saw where (our tech guy) read this thread on the 10th after you bumped your original post. I assumed he addressed this. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I know of no solution at this time. Maybe it has something to do with the recent update, but honestly I'm unsure. Since I don't personally navigate that way, I wouldn't know if that is a new change since then.

I will alert and see if he can be of more assistance to you. Thanks for your patience.

Cherwell,

I susbscribe to this thread so I get notices when someone posts in here. I want to make sure I see if a member posts a question here. I don't Mod it so if I can't answer the question I will alert on it. So I'm sure everyone that is a Mod here just missed it and didn't see your question. That's why I alerted. They all missed your question obviously.

Are we moving closer to a time when we can opt out of seeing certain forums's posts on the New Posts list and thus again streamline our look-see according to preference, as before?
Shall try this one again.

Hi Cherwell,

I'm going to ask my tech person Dave to come on the board and look into this for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Tricia

Hi!

Pages are loading very slowly. It takes 2 minutes before a page appears.

This may have something to do with googleads ..... ???? however, after waiting 2 minutes every time, I am no longer inclined to look at the ads.

I only have this problem at WS, I surf to different websites while WS is loading ad return after a while to see if it is done.

:waiting: :waiting:

There are 3 options that VB can use when marking posts read.

1- Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2- Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3- Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive

My guess is that option 1 is being used. It would be up to admins if they decided it was worth dedicating more server resources towards this issue.

Dave

Hi!

Pages are loading very slowly. It takes 2 minutes before a page appears.

This may have something to do with googleads ..... ???? however, after waiting 2 minutes every time, I am no longer inclined to look at the ads.

I only have this problem at WS, I surf to different websites while WS is loading ad return after a while to see if it is done.

:waiting: :waiting:

Things are better!
But the how and why remain unclear.

:dance:

Thank you, Dave. So it's just the way the forum is set to operate?
I just thought there might be some way I could work round it, but it sounds like there isn't.
Thanks anyway.

Things are better!
But the how and why remain unclear.

:dance:

It would not surprise me that it was a bad ad, but not a google ad. Actually the ads that are google are servered thru a third party, that is where the issue would lay if it was an ad.

At this time I do not yet have the credentials to dig too deep and give you a better answer.

Cherwell, the settings really should be changed. On a forum this size you really should have the settings to what happens to be the most server intensive. If it requires more server than so be it ;). If it is about usability, which it is, then it should be set to option 3.

Are we moving closer to a time when we can opt out of seeing certain forums's posts on the New Posts list and thus again streamline our look according to preference, as before?
Perhaps.

Right click on each one and open in a new tab. The items expire based on time since you looked at the list.

I have tens of tabs open when I do this. The alternative method is too much load for our current server configuration.

Sorry, only just seen this. Yes, that's what I do if I'm going to read more than one topic in a session. There's no problem if I have time to read them all then.
The problem arises when I defer reading a topic until the next time I visit the website.

Is there a way to keep the games forum from being included in the new posts list?

Could the length of the 'subject' line atop posts be extended, perhaps back to its previous space-count? The lack of space leads to lessening of interest to the reader as conveyed by info in this header.

Is there a way to keep the games forum from being included in the new posts list?

Hi Victory,

As far as I know there isn't a way to keep the game forum from being included in the new post list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand