Questions for CNN reporter Jim Spellman - Q & A Only **NO DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, that would explain the change in tone, huh?

So they learn LE is looking for a deceased baby and they hire a lawyer. Hmmm. . .

I know this is a no discussion thread but wanted to clarify....

Ashley Irwin had a UMKC law professor sit in. While he represented them, I don't think he was "hired" in the traditional sense in that I doubt any money changed hands. He was quickly off the case.

And I don't think there was an official "announcement" like there was with Short and Tacopino and Picerno.

anyone know how to see if Dane Greathouse REALLY has a daughter??? I find that lil tidbit of info very interesting especially since there didn't seem to be a female around the house when Jim Spellman got invited in

Or if Zach Greathouse has a daughter? I think Jim actually spoke to Dane's brother Zach and Zach said the crying baby was his (Zach's) daughter. Unless I am misunderstanding Jim's post...

Or if Zach Greathouse has a daughter? I think Jim actually spoke to Dane's brother Zach and Zach said the crying baby was his (Zach's) daughter. Unless I am misunderstanding Jim's post...

You are correct, it is Zach who said the crying child was his daughter.

I know this is a no discussion thread but wanted to clarify....

Ashley Irwin had a UMKC law professor sit in. While he represented them, I don't think he was "hired" in the traditional sense in that I doubt any money changed hands. He was quickly off the case.

And I don't think there was an official "announcement" like there was with Short and Tacopino and Picerno.

I wasn't referring to the law professor. I was going off of this. . .

10/7
**Per the great grandfather (see the end of the following video at the 1:16 mark)

The GGFather then says "they are supposed to...with their lawyer offer some kind of statement to the press at a later time...(-00:19)

Then the reporter then says "...as you just heard, the couple has now hired a lawyer .....

http://www.fox4kc.com/videobeta/1276...er-Cooperating

Jim, do you know when the lawyers were hired?

10/7
**Per the great grandfather (see the end of the following video at the 1:16 mark)

The GGFather then says "they are supposed to...with their lawyer offer some kind of statement to the press at a later time...(-00:19)

Then the reporter then says "...as you just heard, the couple has now hired a lawyer .....

Link not working for me. ??

You are correct...Zach's kid...thats what he told me.

Hi Jim-Do you know anything about the KCPD saying it was not necessary for Jeremy to take a LDT? Thank you

Hi Jim, Do you have any info on the alibi for Jeremy that night and just how comfortable LE was with that alibi. Was it just cameras at the restaurant? Parking lot? Were there others working with him? Thanks!

10/7

I dont recall exactly but it shouldn't be too hard to find...it was well covered. Tacopina came to town and had a press conference in the front yard of the other house.

Hi Jim, Do you have any info on the alibi for Jeremy that night and just how comfortable LE was with that alibi. Was it just cameras at the restaurant? Parking lot? Were there others working with him? Thanks!

SO, this was reported by other CNNers in the first couple days...before I was assigned to the story, but basically KCPD said they accounted for him and someone reported that there was security cam footage of him at work. I dint do that reporting first hand but next time I check with KCPD i'll go over it with them. Deann might know more about it.

Jim, can you tell us which Starbucks it was that JI was working at that night?

SO, this was reported by other CNNers in the first couple days...before I was assigned to the story, but basically KCPD said they accounted for him and someone reported that there was security cam footage of him at work. I dint do that reporting first hand but next time I check with KCPD i'll go over it with them. Deann might know more about it.

October 7 - Jeremy is the only one who has ever mentioned he had an alibi, and then he was quoted from that point on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/07/lisa-irwin-missing-deborah-bradley_n_1000232.html
"The main problem I think that we're facing is that everybody (else) has an alibi," Irwin said. "I was at work. I've been cleared. All these other people we were worried about ... the FBI said they've been cleared. The only one you can't clear is the mother that's at home when it happens 'cause there's nobody else there."

Yes. Bill Stanton went to all the different media outlets offering this up with the condition that he not be named as the source. I don't work like that. If he wanted to present this information on the record as a family representative then maybe I would report it.

You ask if it is credible. I would use the word accurate.

Is it accurate? I have no way of knowing because i'm getting it second hand or possibly third hand so I cant ask follow up questions or figure out what if the source has some other interest going on.

For instance, in that article it says that Samantha's kid saw Lisa at 6:30 or 6:40. So my question is how did she know it it was 6:30? 4 year olds cant generally tell time. I've met that kid and spent a little time with her. She's just a little younger than my own daughter so i'm pretty clued into kids that age and I just don't how well a little girl that age could asses a situation. Did she know it was 6:30 because she saw a clock she could read like a digital clock radio? Did she know it was 6:30 because Dora or some TV show just ended? Did someone tell her it was 6:30? Did they tell her at the time or later, maybe the next day? Did she know Lisa was of because Lisa was walking or crawling or crying or did she just assume the bundle was Lisa?

This is all theoretical...but I hope you get my meaning and see why I don't easily report material with this kind of sourcing. IF it was Bill Stanton on the record then he would be accountable for what was said. Same with all these people like James and Shane...I knew the gist of their info long before i reported it because until i speak to them I don't know for sure what the story is AND they are then accountable for what they say.

If any of you followed my reporting in that first month or so you'll know I vary rarely report anything off the record. Occasionally we choose not to name someone for various reasons...for instance for a while we referred to the Brandos as just the next door neighbors, and we didn't name Dane's last name. Mostly this is if, in the context of the news, we are implying someone did something wrong.

Also there was a whole thing about who Mike Thompon named in a photo line up, but the whole process was so flawed that we didnt feel like it was solid..BUT it was part of the story and part of the investigation so we reported on it and even after i tracked down the guy he named and that guy denied it we didn't name him.

Also occasionally I describe someone as " a family member". This is a compromise where I feel the person is given the protection they want to be able to have, yet the viewer understands their motives and maybe their prejudices about the case.

You may have heard me use this language when describing a division in the family over the Tacopina strategy if not doing media.

I may also sometimes just say LE or KCPD as shorthand for one or more cops. Usually it;s KCPD spokesman Steve Young...no secret, just that more people understand that way.

ALso, various people have told me things off the record and they all know that I have maintained that still. If any of them read this I hope they know how much it has helped.

Sometimes the way off the record info helps is that it can set us in the right direction then we can confirm it through other sources.

So, anyway 99% of the time I don't deal with off the record information...i instead try to work hard to get it on the record...so that Bill Stanton time line just isn't going to work for me.

But let me say that many very good journalists come to different conclusions on these sorts of questions all the time. I always suggest getting info from as many sources as possible

So totally worth a bump. Jim, thank you so much, I hope you always maintain this integrity in reporting. So many do not.

Has KCPD ever verified to you that all 3 phones quit pinging at the same time?

Have you even been informed of an affair between SB and ML?

Did you confirm that Zach Greathouse has a child? I looked on casenet but didn't see any paternity or custody stuff.

Apparently your aware of a lady calling LE on the night in question saying that she saw someone throwing something off "the bridge". Are you trying to find her and possibly interview her?

Hi Jim,

On HLN with Mike Brooks, it was mentioned that the dog didn't bark and I believe MB assumed it was because the dog got to know you. I thought that was VERY interesting.

What kind of dog is it? Is it the Irwin family dog or a neighbour's? Have you witnessed the dog barking at strangers at any time? Will you and Mike be doing more on site coverage?

I would love to see a recreation of the crime scene, if possible. The back of the house makes the most logical sense (the garage) if an intruder took Lisa.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back