*~* Questions for our locals *~*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi, I think it is an isolated hinterland of sorts as it is devoid of any commercial zoning I can see and draws from it's surrounding towns to the west along Hwy 26 for shopping. Teeny little Burlington down on Hwy 26 on the way to Linton seems to have more commercial then I have seen on that Skyline hill area.

But the area is filling in. Not far from Skyline school there are small developments of new McMansions. It is woodsy, but barely outside of the urban city. Only minutes to downtown.

But the area is filling in. Not far from Skyline school there are small developments of new McMansions. It is woodsy, but barely outside of the urban city. Only minutes to downtown.
Hi Gwen, Do you mean St of Dreams type home developments or commercial ones? Does that hill pretty well funnel off 185th to get to the freeway and shopping at Tannesborne? Ta

I saw lots of nice new BIG fancy houses on Cornelius Pass in the Germantown Rd area. Small developments of homes not quite Street of Dreams, but close to it. Definitely in the $1M range.

And yes, you could stay on Cornelius to get to Hwy 26 for shopping or take Germantown down to 30 and head into downtown, with pretty light traffic compared to other areas.

lol at your edit.. that is MY department! :D

Hee hee.

<snip>
It is key, I think, that the Skyline school dist feeds into Lincoln HS, which is right in downtown Portland.<snip>

Yes I noticed that and thought it was telling.

<snip>It's just on the edge of rural, and people unfamiliar with the UGB might not appreciate how different the designation can be.

Actually, it's really hard to explain!</snip>

Yes, I think I get it but it's really hard to explain to folks who don't know the area.

I think I'll say: the *school* community is tight.. the 300 or so families interact via school (much like we would ID the school 'community' at any of our city schools). There is no central meeting area I'm aware of, it's a high car-use area, big shopping center lots etc, have to use freeway or bigger roads, lots of new housing developments. I would say all sense if community identity you've read about is related to the school community.

Thanks for this--I had speculated about that. I also read on the neighborhood website that there is a grange hall. I kind of have a list of things a place needs to be a capital p Place: School, church, grange, fraternal organization (more in the past than now), and store/gas station, and possibly a tavern. Since the church no longer has a congregation, it doesn't quite reach critical mass. I bet folks who have lived there a long time remember it having more of a community feel in general, vs. just the folks involved with the school.

(from Scandi)
Hi, I think it is an isolated hinterland of sorts as it is devoid of any commercial zoning I can see and draws from it's surrounding towns to the west along Hwy 26 for shopping. Teeny little Burlington down on Hwy 26 on the way to Linton seems to have more commercial then I have seen on that Skyline hill area.

Yeah, both of your replies give a good perspective. I get the feeling people think we are talking about the middle of a wilderness or something. Coyotes, tumbleweeds, that sort of thing. Really it's like any cul-de-sac development without stores nearby, but with bigger space between the houses and more trees. :)

I never thought the Willamette Valley was all that complicated before this. :waitasec:

Thirty large billboards with Kyron's smiling, bespectacled face, the words "Endangered Missing," and a phone number to call have started popping up throughout the region, written in English (10), Spanish (10) and Russian (10)

The billboards were donated by Clear Channel "to help get the message out to bring Kyron home," according to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

One tip arrived in the mail written on a postcard, Lindstrand said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kyron-horman-plea-missing-endangered-billboard-campaign/story?id=10936101

Questions for locals:

Okay, on June 16th the billboard article was out.

So, perhaps, right from the beginning, there was a focus on the landscaper, if suspected of being an immigrant.

Is there a large Russian and Spanish population in the areas of the billboard locations?

Perhaps a local could shed some light on this subject, it is interesting to me, because from what I have found, Portland is predominately English Speaking, yet 2/3rds of the Billboards were in another language.

I will post the locations of the billboards in my next post.

Thank-you.

Map of Billboard Locations:

http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2010-06/1276/36091/3113_001.pdf

1 080383 SW 11th Av 60 ft S/O Jefferson St WS F/N-1 Portland - Westside N English - Kyron Horman

2 080940 NW Murray Blvd 347 ft S/O Cornell Rd ES F/N-1 Port (Washington Cty) Y English - Kyron Horman

3 082089 SW Macadam Av 0.14 mi N/O Hamilton St ES F/N-1 Port - Westside Y English - Kyron Horman

4 083286 SE 17th Av 100 ft N/O Tacoma St WS F/N-2 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

5 084947 SE 82nd Av 100 ft S/O Tolman St ES F/N-1 Portland Y English - Kyron Horman

6 085336 SE Foster Rd 150 ft W/O 51st Av SS F/W-2 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

7 085743 SE 122nd Av 185 ft S/O Harold St WS F/N-2 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

8 086404 SE Division St 225 ft E/O 112th SS F/E-1 Portland Y English - Kyron Horman

9 086652 SE Division St 200 ft E/O 162nd Av SS F/E-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

10 087235 SE Stark St 125 ft E/O 216th Av NS F/E-2 Gresham Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

11 087709 SE 162nd Av 175 ft N/O Stark St ES F/N-1 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

12 088042 SE Stark St 175 ft W/O 119th Av SS F/W-2 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

13 088245 SE 82nd Av 10 ft S/O Madison St WS F/S-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

14 088410 NE Glisan St 50 ft E/O 67th Av SS F/E-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

15 088945 NE Halsey St 100 ft E/O 114th Av SS F/W-3 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

16 089091 NE Sandy Blvd 100 ft W/O 105th Av NS F/W-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

17 089715 NE Killingsworth St 5 ft W/O Cully Rd NS F/W-2 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

18 090574 SE 7th Av 100 ft S/O Stark St WS F/S-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

19 091536 SE Powell Blvd 100 ft E/O 13th Av NS F/W-1 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

20 091899 SE Grand Av 50 ft N/O Mill St ES F/S-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

21 092222 NE Broadway St 85 ft E/O 19th Av SS F/E-1 Portland Y English - Kyron Horman
22 093365 N Interstate Av 100 ft N/O Kilpatrick St ES F/N-1 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

23 093546 N Lombard St 100 ft W/O Gravenstein NS F/W-1 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

24 094063 NW St Helens Rd 50 ft N/O 56th Av WS F/N-2 Port- Westside Y Russian- Kyron

25 094168 NW St Helens Rd 500 ft N/O 31st Av WS F/N-2 Port - Westside Y English - Kyron

26 094416 NW 18th Av 5 ft N/O Thurman St ES F/S-1 Port - Westside N English &#8211; Kyron

27 094618 NW Glisan St 100 ft W/O 4th Av NS F/E-2 Port - Westside N English - Kyron

28 094821 N Interstate Av 125 ft N/O Graham St WS F/S-1 Port English - Kyron Horman

29 097124 NE St Johns Rd 330 ft N/O 82nd St WS F/S-1 Vancouver Y Spanish - Kyron

30 097334 Minnehaha St 0.11 mi W/O NE St James NS F/E-2 Vancouver Y Russian- Kyron

I'm in Oregon but not Portland, but many things in print here, when available in more than one language, are in Spanish, Russian and also Vietnamese and other SE Asian languages. Though they are still in the minority, Oregon has relatively large populations of folks who speak these languages and there is a significant Russian population in Portland. If I had a minute, I'd look up percentages. But I have to run. Wikipedia often has good demographic information.

Maybe the local locals have something more specific. Good question. In my own opinion, it's just covering all their bases and also because Portland is progressive as far as including immigrant populations. I don't think it has anything to do with a possible suspect, but I could be wrong. MOO. Locals?

Yes, Portland does have a large Russian population as well as lots of Spanish speaking. There are a lot of Spanish speaking migrate farm workers.

Thirty large billboards with Kyron's smiling, bespectacled face, the words "Endangered Missing," and a phone number to call have started popping up throughout the region, written in English (10), Spanish (10) and Russian (10)

The billboards were donated by Clear Channel "to help get the message out to bring Kyron home," according to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kyron-horman-plea-missing-endangered-billboard-campaign/story?id=10936101

Questions for locals:

So, perhaps, right from the beginning, there was a focus on the landscaper, if suspected of being an immigrant.

Is there a large Russian and Spanish population in the areas of the billboard locations?

Perhaps a local could shed some light on this subject, it is interesting to me, because from what I have found, Portland is predominately English Speaking, yet 2/3rds of the Billboards were in another language.

Thank-you.

I was very curious about the locations of the billboards too..

But then I thought, who is providing the billboard "space"? Clear Channel..
They obviously had the billboard locations picked out to target Clear Channel customers and I'm sure "rented" the space on these billboards months and months ago.. (or they own them.. not sure how that works)

And when Kyron went missing they "donated" that space previously designated to target Clear Channel customers, to post the Kyron information..

*eta
But yes the Russian/Spanish parts still interest me, I just am not sure using the locations will lead to anything..

Here's a great page from Lewis & Clark College summing up the local Russian resources:

http://www.lclark.edu/college/departments/foreign_languages/russian/opportunities/local_communities/

I believe there is a large concentration of Russian speakers in SE Portland and the above link bears this out. I don't know if this corresponds with the location of any billboards.

And here's more great demographics info about Portland's immigrant populations:

http://www.interculturalorganizing.org/unitingcultures_report.pdf

looks like starting on page 12 is the most useful--there are maps.

I was very curious about the locations of the billboards too..
But then I thought, who is providing the billboard "space"? Clear Channel..
They obviously had the billboard locations picked out to target Clear Channel customers and I'm sure "rented" the space on these billboards months and months ago.. (or they own them.. not sure how that works)

And when Kyron went missing they "donated" that space previously designated to target Clear Channel customers, to post the Kyron information..

*eta
But yes the Russian/Spanish parts still interest me, I just am not sure using the locations will lead to anything..

They look broadly distributed throughout the city.

Map of Billboard Locations:

http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2010-06/1276/36091/3113_001.pdf

1 080383 SW 11th Av 60 ft S/O Jefferson St WS F/N-1 Portland - Westside N English - Kyron Horman

2 080940 NW Murray Blvd 347 ft S/O Cornell Rd ES F/N-1 Port (Washington Cty) Y English - Kyron Horman

3 082089 SW Macadam Av 0.14 mi N/O Hamilton St ES F/N-1 Port - Westside Y English - Kyron Horman

4 083286 SE 17th Av 100 ft N/O Tacoma St WS F/N-2 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

5 084947 SE 82nd Av 100 ft S/O Tolman St ES F/N-1 Portland Y English - Kyron Horman

6 085336 SE Foster Rd 150 ft W/O 51st Av SS F/W-2 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

7 085743 SE 122nd Av 185 ft S/O Harold St WS F/N-2 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

8 086404 SE Division St 225 ft E/O 112th SS F/E-1 Portland Y English - Kyron Horman

9 086652 SE Division St 200 ft E/O 162nd Av SS F/E-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

10 087235 SE Stark St 125 ft E/O 216th Av NS F/E-2 Gresham Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

11 087709 SE 162nd Av 175 ft N/O Stark St ES F/N-1 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

12 088042 SE Stark St 175 ft W/O 119th Av SS F/W-2 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

13 088245 SE 82nd Av 10 ft S/O Madison St WS F/S-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

14 088410 NE Glisan St 50 ft E/O 67th Av SS F/E-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

15 088945 NE Halsey St 100 ft E/O 114th Av SS F/W-3 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

16 089091 NE Sandy Blvd 100 ft W/O 105th Av NS F/W-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

17 089715 NE Killingsworth St 5 ft W/O Cully Rd NS F/W-2 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

18 090574 SE 7th Av 100 ft S/O Stark St WS F/S-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

19 091536 SE Powell Blvd 100 ft E/O 13th Av NS F/W-1 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

20 091899 SE Grand Av 50 ft N/O Mill St ES F/S-1 Portland Y Russian- Kyron Horman

21 092222 NE Broadway St 85 ft E/O 19th Av SS F/E-1 Portland Y English - Kyron Horman
22 093365 N Interstate Av 100 ft N/O Kilpatrick St ES F/N-1 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

23 093546 N Lombard St 100 ft W/O Gravenstein NS F/W-1 Portland Y Spanish - Kyron Horman

24 094063 NW St Helens Rd 50 ft N/O 56th Av WS F/N-2 Port- Westside Y Russian- Kyron

25 094168 NW St Helens Rd 500 ft N/O 31st Av WS F/N-2 Port - Westside Y English - Kyron

26 094416 NW 18th Av 5 ft N/O Thurman St ES F/S-1 Port - Westside N English – Kyron

27 094618 NW Glisan St 100 ft W/O 4th Av NS F/E-2 Port - Westside N English - Kyron

28 094821 N Interstate Av 125 ft N/O Graham St WS F/S-1 Port English - Kyron Horman

29 097124 NE St Johns Rd 330 ft N/O 82nd St WS F/S-1 Vancouver Y Spanish - Kyron

30 097334 Minnehaha St 0.11 mi W/O NE St James NS F/E-2 Vancouver Y Russian- Kyron

Portland is divided into quadrants: NE, SE, NW and SW. Kyron went missing from the NW. The Willamette River separates the east quadrants from the west quadrants. You can identify the quadrants in the above because all street names will begin with the quadrant. There's also N Portland, which is (oddly) NW of NE Portland, but still on the east side of the Willamette. That will sound very confusing, but there you have it. :innocent: I see in the above list that they also included a handful of billboards in other places: Gresham, an E side suburb of Portland, and Vancouver, which is across the Columbia River from Portland (north). Hope that helps.

a couple of years ago I wanted to get some billboard space donated where I live in another state.

There was a company that I knew owned the billboards. I was wrong.

When I called, I found out that the billboards in our community are mainly owned by Clear Channel.

a couple of years ago I wanted to get some billboard space donated where I live in another state.

There was a company that I knew owned the billboards. I was wrong.

When I called, I found out that the billboards in our community are mainly owned by Clear Channel.

Wow! Hey thanks! I wasn't sure how those billboards work.. interesting..
and thanks for that tidbit! =)

Hmmm.. wondering how we would find out who owns the Portland area billboards? (I'm not good at sleuthing)

As if it turns out a majority of them are owned by Clear Channel, I would LOVE to know who helped them decide on locations...

eta:
Link for Clear Channel outdoor advertising but still could not find all locations of ALL their boards along w/demographics
http://www.clearchanneloutdoor.com/markets/portland.htm#demographics

This billboard thing has always interested me..

There's also N Portland,

AKA The Fifth Quadrant, lol
Great explanation, thanks!

Hmmm.. wondering how we would find out who owns the Portland area billboards? (I'm not good at sleuthing)

As if it turns out a majority of them are owned by Clear Channel, I would LOVE to know who helped them decide on locations...

This billboard thing has always interested me..

It's a bit of a racket; CC does own the majority. If you do some googling for WW articles going back a way, you'll find some explanations. I remember quite a bit of it around the topic of 'murals' if you need another search word.

How the language ones were allocated would be interesting to know, but I see that the majority of the Russian ones are in SE, which is consistent with where that immigrant population is in town. They seem to make geographic sense to me (IE don't see anything jumping out as odd).
There's also a population of Russian speaking Old Believers (multi generation in the US) toward Woodburn, just FYI.
Spanish speakers are in pockets everywhere now.

I don't know if this has been asked, so forgive me if it has. And this might a stupid question, but where I'm from is totally flat, lol. I notice in some of the pics that Portland seems mountainous. Are there any caves in the area, or abandoned mines? I'm not thinking there is because I probably would have heard about places like that by now, but I was curious. I'm just trying to think of places he could be hidden or taken shelter in, and when I think of mountains, I think of caves and possibly mines.

I also noticed a rock quarry? Is there one or two? For some reason I got the shivers when I saw there was a rock quarry. It also looks like you have ravines and valleys as well as thick forest. Geez, there's no telling where Kyron may be...

Questions for locals:

Thank-you.

I saw a big one on Hwy 30 and it had Russian writing. Coming down to Portland it was facing me as I approached a curve. It was somewhere near Linton I believe. I don't see on on Hwy 30 so maybe at that point it is called St Helens Rd. It was before you hit the industrial area of NW Portland on the left. xox Quite impressive I must say.

But then, I saw the banner hanging on the Sylvan bridge which was so poignant at the time I almost started crying to see it there. Right by the Portland Zoo .

This has to be the one I saw: 24} 094063 NW St Helens Rd 50 ft N/O 56th Av WS F/N-2 Port- Westside Y Russian- Kyron

I don't know if this has been asked, so forgive me if it has. And this might a stupid question, but where I'm from is totally flat, lol. I notice in some of the pics that Portland seems mountainous. Are there any caves in the area, or abandoned mines? I'm not thinking there is because I probably would have heard about places like that by now, but I was curious. I'm just trying to think of places he could be hidden or taken shelter in, and when I think of mountains, I think of caves and possibly mines.

I also noticed a rock quarry? Is there one or two? For some reason I got the shivers when I saw there was a rock quarry. It also looks like you have ravines and valleys as well as thick forest. Geez, there's no telling where Kyron may be...

I don't think there would be any mines in the area--Oregon has coal (!) and gold but they are in other parts of the state. I'm thinking no caves as the geology is wrong. Though if the quarry is a rock quarry there might be caves. Real locals--is the quarry a gravel or a rock quarry? Forgive if this has been answered, I'll Google it in a sec.

Parts of Portland are fairly flat and Sauvie Island is a river bottom, but the Skyline area is indeed mountainous:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tualatin_Mountains[/ame]

If you click on the coordinates in the upper right corner of the article, there is a large selection of maps. I'm looking at a USGS topo map right now...

ETA: Day-um that is some steep terrain.

I don't think there would be any mines in the area--Oregon has coal (!) and gold but they are in other parts of the state. I'm thinking no caves as the geology is wrong. Though if the quarry is a rock quarry there might be caves. Real locals--is the quarry a gravel or a rock quarry? Forgive if this has been answered, I'll Google it in a sec.

Parts of Portland are fairly flat and Sauvie Island is a river bottom, but the Skyline area is indeed mountainous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tualatin_Mountains

If you click on the coordinates in the upper right corner of the article, there is a large selection of maps. I'm looking at a USGS topo map right now...

ETA: Day-um that is some steep terrain.

There are lots of caves on the Oregon Coast - Sea Lion down South, caves off Depoe Bay where it is said the gold from a Spanish Galleon was hidden . . . actually there are caves wherever the ocean waves wash onto a basalt waterfront.

None in Portland that I have heard of. but maybe in Central Oregon where there are many unique geological formations. Rocks balancing permanently on huge boulders, etc.

There could be many dug out cellars in that rural area of Skyline where years ago farmers kept their vegetables for the winter and maybe even like we find up in southern Wa, where hooch was stored during proabition {sp}.

I would doubt there is anything possible on this order where Kyron would have been put, knowing the area. It is not simple enough for a body disposal IMO, although I appreciate your thoughts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back