Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a Note: We don't really even know if Rebecca was charged with Max's care. I don't think it's impossible that dad went golfing and left him in the care of a teenage sibling. We do know Jonah was golfing and Dina was not to be found for hours after the accident.

The initial police report indicated Rebecca was in charge and all the recent reports say she was in charge. Dina didn't live there so where she was at the time really isn't relevant imo.

I don't know Cali records law but in my state, records are unsealed when LE close the case OR when news organizations make a request and the Judge grants it.

Just curious, are there reasons why 911 calls could be sealed permanently?

If so, do you know what those reasons could be?

TIA

@ MyBelle

What is the protocol on unsealing the recordings of the 911 calls to the public? TIA

Autopsy records as well as the search-warrant affidavit will be sealed during the course of the investigation," sheriff's spokeswoman Melissa Aquino said Friday morning

During Thursday's press conference authorities said a woman called 911 and reported the unidentified child, who is the son of Jonah Shacknai and his ex-wife Dina, had fallen from a staircase at the home. Police and fire department officials responding to the scene said the child was not breathing and did not have a pulse. He was eventually taken to Rady Children's Hospital.

Authorities said there was no information that indicated the child's fall was anything more than a tragic accident. Authorities said the woman's death and the boy's injury are not related.

http://www.10news.com/news/28534601/detail.html

BBM

Just curious, are there reason why 911 calls could be sealed permanently?

If so, do you know what those reasons could be?

TIA

You'd have to check Cali statutes and see if 911 calls are considered public record. If so, reasons to seal them permanently would be listed in the statute. One reason to permanently seal it, imo, could be if a minor made the 911 call. Just a guess because I'm not familiar with the statutes. Sorry.

The law requires ALL children require constant supervision. I really think it's time to stop being so dismissive of Maxie's death. He is a victim imo.

Can you provide a link to those laws.

All I find on supervision looks like 'neglect' is fairly contextually defined except severe cases.

Lack of Supervision

While State statutes vary, most CPS professionals agree that children under the age of 8 who are left alone for any substantial amount of time are being neglected.203 In determining whether neglect has occurred, the following issues should be considered:

• The child's age, physical condition, mental abilities, coping capacity, maturity, competence, knowledge regarding how to respond to an emergency, and feelings about being alone.
  • The type and degree of indirect adult supervision. For example, is there an adult who is regularly checking in on the child?
  • The length of time and frequency with which the child is left alone. Is the child being left alone all day, every day? Is he or she left alone all night?
  • The safety of the child's environment, neighborhood, and home.
http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/usermanuals/neglect/chapterfive.cfm

Posted online Monday evening, if I remember correctly.

ETA: included references to MS and "brain dead".

As I recall it, it was "injured" and asking for prayers. I don't recall anything about "brain dead."

The initial police report indicated Rebecca was in charge and all the recent reports say she was in charge. Dina didn't live there so where she was at the time really isn't relevant imo.

BBM

I would think that she would answer her cell phone or have it handy in case of an emergency, as any parent should......just saying is that considered possible neglect......if JS and DS had joint custody......the police even went to her house several times......

Ummm, why vacation a few blocks from your ex-husband (when he has the child) unless to be close........if an emergency arose......

I don't believe a single test is used to determine brain death.

There appears to be a couple of tests doctors current use....

Confirming Brain Death
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Many physicians request additional, confirmatory tests before pronouncing brain death. The two most common are the electroencephalogram (EEG) and the cerebral blood flow (CBF) study.

Once a patient fulfills this medical criterion, nothing can be done for the patient. The patient can still be maintained physiologically on the ventilator, but there is no hope of any kind of recovery, even to a state of irreversible coma

Families of a brain dead patient must, by federal regulations, be provided the option of organ donation. If the family consents, the regional organ procurement organization is involved. If the family refuses, the mechanical ventilator, medications and fluids are discontinued, after which the heart stops

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/brain-death5.htm

I think it's rather obvious there is no law that the child can not be left alone for any period of time. Otherwise you couldn't even put a child to bed into his or her own bedroom, or let them go to the bathroom by themselves.

I think it would be a bit odd especially in this case to think it was neglect if she went out of the room for a minute. What about parents who go outside to argue, have bad enough fights to call police, get dog bites because of arguments, and whatever (slapping one or the other?) I guess that is not child neglect, it's just a little rough patch.

There appears to be a couple of tests doctors current use....

Confirming Brain Death
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Many physicians request additional, confirmatory tests before pronouncing brain death. The two most common are the electroencephalogram (EEG) and the cerebral blood flow (CBF) study.

Once a patient fulfills this medical criterion, nothing can be done for the patient. The patient can still be maintained physiologically on the ventilator, but there is no hope of any kind of recovery, even to a state of irreversible coma

Families of a brain dead patient must, by federal regulations, be provided the option of organ donation. If the family consents, the regional organ procurement organization is involved. If the family refuses, the mechanical ventilator, medications and fluids are discontinued, after which the heart stops

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/brain-death5.htm

Hi,

Not so in California - if I read you correctly, you say that once a family has been approached for organs - if they refuse - their family member would no longer be provided with life-giving care...THIS IS JUST NOT TRUE. Healthcare professionals in Cali allow for the fact that some people can recover from devastating brain trauma. We aggressively rehab our head injury patients...It is up to the family to decide if they wish to allow their loved one to pass on...or if they want to have care and rehabilitation considered. Most go for the Rehab, and today, many of these patients recover. They may not function at the level they did pre-injury-but the family and the patient have gone on to lead fulfilling lives. You would be amazed...

My 2C

Hi,

Not so in California - if I read you correctly, you say that once a family has been approached for organs - if they refuse - their family member would no longer be provided with life-giving care...THIS IS JUST NOT TRUE. Healthcare professionals in Cali allow for the fact that some people can recover from devastating brain trauma. We aggressively rehab our head injury patients...It is up to the family to decide if they wish to allow their loved one to pass on...or if they want to have care and rehabilitation considered. Most go for the Rehab, and today, many of these patients recover. They may not function at the level they did pre-injury-but the family and the patient have gone on to lead fulfilling lives. You would be amazed...

My 2C

Thank you.

I have a question please. How do you rehabilitate a patient who has been declared brain dead? Doesn't that mean there is no brain activity?

Hi,

My 2C

NO, was giving examples of testing used to determine "brain dead". I was replying to another post about testing and organ donation.

I so totally agree with you and rehabilitation. I worked with traumatic brain injuried individuals and do believe in treatment and have seen those that are glad to be alive and the decisions made. I have also worked with families that did not want their loved one to be on a vent.

Sorry, if I mislead........:truce:

As previous stated, I don't want to get into the decision as to "when" to take someone off life supports........How I feel today may not be how I feel if faced with the decision.

I think the final proof may have been his inability to breathe without a ventilator.

I think all of our perspectives are skewed by personal experience by some degree or another. I have a brother who had a traumatic brain injury and was in a coma for nearly 3 months. It's been a long time so I don't remember all the details. I know it took us about 15 hours or more to get to where he was. We had NO idea what was going on in the first weeks! He was on a vent and a feeding tube for a long time. When I first spoke with his doctor on behalf of our parents I said "we under no circumstances want life support discontinued" The doctor very kindly indicated it was a Catholic Hospital and as such we didn't have to worry about that. We were told he would be in a permanent vegetative status, while he's permanently disabled, he's very much an active part of our family.

Given our personal history, I have to wonder what was said, and indicated by hospital staff - as well as how hard organ donation was pushed. It's seems awfully fast to me to make the decision to donate organs, and (perhaps) I'm assuming discontinuing life support.

As previous stated, I don't want to get into the decision as to "when" to take someone off life supports........How I feel today may not be how I feel if faced with the decision.

Such a permanent decision - for someone else.

I wonder if legal custody was 50/50 or if one parent made the final decision, and the other took the only revenge they could think of, by killing RN.

I think both parents had to agree to turn off life support. Otherwise one that didn't agree could have gone to court.

I think all of our perspectives are skewed by personal experience by some degree or another. I have a brother who had a traumatic brain injury and was in a coma for nearly 3 months. It's been a long time so I don't remember all the details. I know it took us about 15 hours or more to get to where he was. We had NO idea what was going on in the first weeks! He was on a vent and a feeding tube for a long time. When I first spoke with his doctor on behalf of our parents I said "we under no circumstances want life support discontinued" The doctor very kindly indicated it was a Catholic Hospital and as such we didn't have to worry about that. We were told he would be in a permanent vegetative status, while he's permanently disabled, he's very much an active part of our family.

Given our personal history, I have to wonder what was said, and indicated by hospital staff - as well as how hard organ donation was pushed. It's seems awfully fast to me to make the decision to donate organs, and (perhaps) I'm assuming discontinuing life support.

BBM

I have wondered the same.....why so soon?

Thank you for sharing your story. MIRACLES do happen :innocent:

Here is is some general info.....there are a lot of web sites devoted to TBIs.

I wonder what he scored on the Glasgow...

http://www.tbirecoverycenter.org/treatment.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member