Rebecca Zahau Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious. Have we heard whether NR has changed her opinion on RZ’s death, too? Sister DS changed her position. Very curious what it was that possibly changed both their minds? I know DS has said she doesn’t believe it was Adam, but what is her theory? In my opinion, the jury might find it a bit curious, too. What made the ex wife change her mind?

Snip -

"I think she committed suicide for sure," said Romano. "I think she was guilty. I think she felt guilty. In my opinion, I feel like she knew more than she disclosed."

"My thought was, ‘Oh my God she did know more than she admitted to.' That was my initial reaction. ‘Oh my gosh, what on earth did she do that she couldn't live with?'"

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15982091/exclusive-max-shacknais-aunt-talks-about-coronado-mansion-deaths

May I remind everyone that the throat was not put back into Rebecca's body as it should have been (there are prior links stating this should have been done - that I am not going to find myself). Dr. Wecht could NOT examine the one organ of the body that counted for a hanging- the throat/neck. Convenient. He did, however, weigh in on the first ME exam that showed she was strangled.

The SD ME was derelict in his duties not to put Rebecca's body back intact so that a second autopsy could view the most important part of her injuries. Just one more oops on the part of the county ME. Too bad we can't ask the doctor about it since he didn't show in court.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/medicin...em-examination

“The liver, pancreas, stomach, and esophagus are removed as a unit”

“After an autopsy, pathologists usually put the major organs into plastic bags and store them in body cavities unless they have written permission to keep them. Medical examiners must keep any organs or tissues needed for evidence in a legal case”

Was there any proof of written permission? The throat def wasn’t kept for a legal case as this was ruled as a suicide and performed before the zahau family had a chance to refute suicide

]

It was confirmed through Nina’s phone records and the accounts of the other people staying at Dinas that that phone call happened at 9:41, not 10:41.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15982091/exclusive-max-shacknais-aunt-talks-about-coronado-mansion-deaths

Here are the calls and texts on Rebecca’s phone bill that show she was there when Nina sent a text at 9:41.

attachment.php
What that bill shows is all relative. If you say 10:41 is really 9:41 then the other activity also has to be moved back an hour. One cannot say that Rebecca had freewill 48 minutes after her last text to Mary.

I think phone records are pretty sufficient. I think RZ was already spiraling into her suicidal depression. She could not handle anything more. In the San Diego paper about testimony about her personal messages...there was a quote “I have no one to talk to.” I can’t copy it because I’m over my limit for those articles.

So RZ even felt she couldn’t confide in her family. She must have felt very isolated.
Do you have a date for that note?

Do you have a date for that note?

Yesterday....though it may have been posted day previous. I googled for latest news and got that article I’d like to read it again myself. If I misread, please correct.

Yesterday....though it may have been posted day previous. I googled for latest news and got that article I’d like to read it again myself. If I misread, please correct.
I mean the date of Rebecca's note.

Curious. Have we heard whether NR has changed her opinion on RZ’s death, too? Sister DS changed her position. Very curious what it was that possibly changed both their minds? I know DS has said she doesn’t believe it was Adam, but what is her theory? In my opinion, the jury might find it a bit curious, too. What made the ex wife change her mind?

Snip -

[/FONT]

I think DR just wants peace. There’s no benefit to her continuing to be in this media storm. When she and her sister were dropped from the case, her last tie to JS was gone. He can battle this out alone.

DR’s child is dead. Even if, out of the media, she blames RZ...RZ is dead too. That’s all the “justice”she will ever get...because the authorities would not open her case again either.

Years have passed. She received a very generous divorce settlement...wasnt it millions of dollars? She can’t bring her little boy back. Why should she make public statements involving herself in what now is only a Shacknai-Zahau media and legal war?

She wants privacy. Only her closest family and friends know what she really thinks.

I wish DR peace and as much happiness as this life can provide her.

Dina has been apologized to by Greer and cleared. She is not a suspect, a murderer, or a mastermind.

Dina also believes Rebecca was murdered, just not by Adam. She also believes the death of Max and Rebecca's murder (as she believes Rebecca was murdered) are "linked".

Since she doesn't think Adam is responsible, I wonder who she things IS responsible? I'd love to hear her opinion on that question.

Ah, nothing more than spin then.

Well, the jury will have heard the details...if it was that night or whenever. I really hope the transcripts of this trial are available some day.

Maybe someone from WS was there yesterday.

I don't believe RZ's thoughts of suicide were instantaneous. I do believe her actions over several days are an indication that is where she was headed after Max's fall. She immediately sent her sister home. She took the dog to the kennel. Whatever Jonah's message said, I think that was the final straw. I also don't find it unusual he would choose to leave a voice message. Many people chose to not directly confront their partner and instead communicate via text or email.

Agree to disagree on this case.

I see my question wasn't answered so it's fair to assume we probably don't have this information.

Info from original post -
Jury Instructions were filed on Feb 26th.
Jury Instructions were withdrawn on Thursday Mar 22nd.
New Jury Instructions were filed by Defense, date unknown
Plaintiff's Objections to Defendant's Special Jury Instructions re. evidentiary value of death certificate and Autopsy Report were filed on Monday March 26th.

I'm going to make a guess that Plaintiff's objections were filed when Lucas failed to testify. I'm going to make a further guess that Lucas' failure to testify has given the Plaintiff cause to argue that the evidentiary value of the death certificate and autopsy report is reduced to nil in the suit, because the man that signed off on them did not testify to defend his sign-off on the manner and cause of death in a suit that disputes his findings.

Of course my guesses could be wrong.
Tortoise, I am very curious about these new filings also. The sdcourt doc site for civil image files is down for maintenance. I can't even get to the ROA page to see if they are available. Lash or K_Z might have the old jury instructions from 2/26.

Re your comment on the balcony rail...

To the best of my recollection and after checking my notes, during testimony when the lead detective was asked about fingerprints on the balcony rail she said there were no fingerprints taken on the balcony rail.

(The police apparently returned several weeks later to seek additionally evidence, but did not to lift prints from the balcony rail then either, as she explained that the weather would have probably degraded any available prints ( as it was outside)

When asked about the footprints she said “ no proper analysis was done of the prints”. When asked why she said it was because “ they looked consistent with RZ’s foot size” and also said it was felt unnecessary as ‘there was no indication of a physical struggle’

However, the balcony rail was apparently swabbed for DNA, but there was found to be none present when it was tested.

She was then asked about the 11” gap in the thick film of dust on the balcony rail, and was the body checked for any transfer, she said not to her knowledge and referred to the medical examiner.

Also, during the motion experts testimony, a demonstration showed that RZs center of gravity was too low for her to gain enough impetus to fall over the balcony of her own volition, also compounded when combined with her legs being bound.

( There had been a ‘demonstative’ of the balcony floor and rail set up in the court to show the jury.) The expert had said/ demonstrated it was a scientific / physical impossibility for her to get over with her hands and feet bound.

The defense then argued that RZ could ‘lay her weight’ on her belly and ‘roll’ herself forward’ and over the balcony, when she had gone far enough forward, eventually, she would roll beyond a tipping point, and by kicking her tied legs up behind her she could gain enough impetus to go over the rail.

However, in redirect by Greer, photographic visuals of RZ naked torso were then shown to the court. RZ’s belly and hip region shows no superficial scraping injury which would be evident if the ‘rolling and scraping’ motions as were suggested to get over over the rough balcony rail were played out. ( close up images of the balcony rail were shown and they looked quite ‘ragged’ and uneven in places.) her front belly/torso was also totally clean and showed no dirt or dust of any description.

(It was suggested in the testimony process by Greer that the missing rail dust could have been a result of wiping )

So there was no bodily injury, superficial or otherwise, no dirt transfer, no DNA on the rail, no analysis of the footprints - and the rail was not tested for fingerprints.

I will leave you to draw your own conclusions of the balcony rail evidence.

( paraphrazing from my recollection, my notes and my opinion of what was presented)

The balcony was only 3” high. The height of a yard stick. Rebecca had no problem at all leaning over it and then failing.

The Defense had a woman and replica of the railing ready to go to show the jury how easily Rebecca could have gone over, but Greer objected to it being used. Why would he object it it was so hard to do?

No matter what Greer says, it was easy for her to go over that railing and the 11” disturbance shows she leaned over till she fell.

I’m sure the jury is wise enough to understand a woman of Rebecca’s fitness level would have no problem at leaning over that 3’ railing.

I think DR just wants peace. There’s no benefit to her continuing to be in this media storm. When she and her sister were dropped from the case, her last tie to JS was gone. He can battle this out alone.

DR’s child is dead. Even if, out of the media, she blames RZ...RZ is dead too. That’s all the “justice”she will ever get...because the authorities would not open her case again either.

Years have passed. She received a very generous divorce settlement...wasnt it millions of dollars? She can’t bring her little boy back. Why should she make public statements involving herself in what now is only a Shacknai-Zahau media and legal war?

She wants privacy. Only her closest family and friends know what she really thinks.

I wish DR peace and as much happiness as this life can provide her.

Though Dina once suspected that Rebecca had been involved in Max’s death, she doesn’t believe that now. “I don’t have reason to believe that Rebecca killed Max,” Dina said in June. “Who would assault a six-year-old boy?” Dina thinks that there may have been someone else in the house whom the police never investigated.

Nor does she believe that Rebecca killed herself or that Adam was responsible. Rebecca’s death, she says, was the result of what attorney Anne Bremner called “rage and planning,” and there is no evidence that Adam knew her well enough to hate her. For her part, Nina wonders, “Does Adam know more than he’s saying? I just don’t know.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...6/shaknai-deaths-mystery-coronado-california/

What makes you think DR still blamed RZ? In the above interview DR says the opposite. Have you spoken to DR personally to have this knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica2012
Thank you but that is hearsay. Do you have a document or MSM you can point me to? TIA

Thanks guys for feeding back my info. Yes, the lead detective did state this in her testimony. It will appear in the trial transcript.

Important info...

You will also see in the trial transcript that the lead detective stated that upon arrival she viewed the scene as a homicide. She then described the scene as being that of a ‘suspicious death’, and in her career experience the circumstances were ‘unfamiliar’ to her - and she had (quote) “ never seen anything like this...”

She testified that AS was an immediate person of interest and a potential suspect.

I think this is an important factor to consider. Contrary to the supposition of many that this was ‘obviously a suicide’, the lead detective - with 27 years experience apparently - didn’t concur.

Exactly, Lezah. The detectives and Medical Examiner originally thought it would turn out to be a homicide. The evidence told a different story. You can’t fake the DNA which said only Rebecca was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz