Rebecca Zahau Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautifully said. And yes, impartiality is key. JS wealth should not be an advantage...or a disadvantage.

I gave up watching Law and Order years ago...the evil one always attended a posh private school, was a CEO, or lived in a luxurious penthouse. There has been a purposeful cultural animus cultivated against “wealth and privilege.”

Justice really needs to be blind...in every respect.

Do you really think big money and power get the same "justice" as the average joe?

You make some very thoughtful points.

But if there was any evidence of this, the Shacknai billions would be on the line in this trial....Jonah would be named in the suit. But in all these years, no one has been able to tie him in or find any evidence of anything that implicates him.

I don’t know that JS would have done anything different after RZ’s death. My opinion only is that he moves on from women easily.

You are right. Jonah Shacknai had an air tight alibi. He was staying at the hospital where there are plenty of cameras as opposed to his mansion 15 mins away.

Hi Jessica2012 :wave:

BBM - Could you provide a link to the accounts of other people staying at the house?

TIA

Attorney Greer stated that Nina’s son and two of Dina’s friends were staying at Dina’s in his video apology to the sister’s for accusing them of murder for 6 years.

^^^This. According to the SDSO and defense theory, not only did RZ become suddenly suicidal in the middle of the night due to an alleged VM from JS, but she got bizarrely suicidal. Honestly, if she became suddenly suicidal over Max's condition and quietly overdosed, I wouldn't be here, because the probability of that scenario is exponentially higher than what SDSO/defense claims happened.

RZ's murderer overplayed his hand staging her "suicide." In the end, he made the murder he committed look exactly like one.

Agree 100%.

I think Rebecca was bound and gagged to keep her from escaping/screaming while she was briefly interrogated over what happened to Max. Then strangled and then lifted over the balcony by a gloved and prepared killer(s) who were much bigger and stronger than the 100lb Rebecca.

MOO

I think phone records are pretty sufficient. I think RZ was already spiraling into her suicidal depression. She could not handle anything more. In the San Diego paper about testimony about her personal messages...there was a quote “I have no one to talk to.” I can’t copy it because I’m over my limit for those articles.

So RZ even felt she couldn’t confide in her family. She must have felt very isolated.

Here is the quote:

Defense attorney David Elsberg asked Berman about reports that Zahau had been fondled by her school principal when she was young, and why that might put her at risk for suicide.

“Sexual abuse can be devastating to the abused,” Berman answered. “It produces a sense of shame, as if they are to blame; low self-esteem.”

Similarly, victims of domestic violence often feel anxious, potentially helpless and distrust in relationships, he said. Zahau reportedly suffered mental abuse, threats and attempted strangulation at the hands of her husband, before she divorced and met Jonah Shacknai.

The ex-husband, Neil Nalepa, testified in a videotaped deposition that Zahau had three affairs with other men during their marriage.

Also, writings found on Zahau’s phone showed her to have doubts about her relationship with Jonah Shacknai. Notes that “I feel this incredible emptiness,” and “I have no one to talk to” suggested depression, Berman said.

Topping off her state of mind was a fall that her boyfriend’s 6-year-old son, Max, suffered while Zahau was looking after him on July 11, 2011. He fell from a two-story stairwell landing at the house.

After he was rushed to a hospital in critical condition, Jonah Shacknai told Zahau it was best for her to stay away, since the his ex-wife, the boy’s mother, would be there. Berman interpreted this as rejection from the family at a time of tragedy.

“At this point she's at very high risk for suicide,” said Berman, calling Max’s fall “the straw that broke the camel’s back” for Zahau’s emotional state.

He added, “To a reasonable degree of scientific certainty, she did die by suicide. That is my opinion.”

A second expert testified that two autopsies conducted on Zahau revealed no evidence of manual strangulation, but supported a conclusion that she hanged herself.

Dr. Gregory Davis, a forensic pathologist from the University of Kentucky Albert B. Chandler Hospital, testified Monday and Tuesday that he saw no injuries on Zahau that suggested homicide.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-defense-20180327-story.html

Rebecca was texting with Mary at the time Nina was there, a little before 10 pm. She would have heard Nina’s call and seen Nina’s texts that she was sending. She purposely ignored her. Why would she ignore Nina when Max was in the ICU?

Because Rebecca's source of info was Jonah. Not the sister of the EX she wanted to avoid. If I had been in Rebecca's place I would have ignored Nina too. But certainly not Jonah. In fact Rebecca had tried to call Jonah earlier. It appears he didn't pick up.

Tortoise, I am very curious about these new filings also. The sdcourt doc site for civil image files is down for maintenance. I can't even get to the ROA page to see if they are available. Lash or K_Z might have the old jury instructions from 2/26.

Hi Watergirl62 :wave:

FWIW - I have not seen the ROA Documents. However, IIRC, it has been a looonnnng time, the defense attempted to keep Rebecca’s AR out of the entire case. I cannot recall why. It may even have started back when the case was in Federal court.

Exactly, Lezah. The detectives and Medical Examiner originally thought it would turn out to be a homicide. The evidence told a different story. You can’t fake the DNA which said only Rebecca was there.
Nor is one able to "fake DNA" when it has 'scrubbed'. For sure wouldn't be the first time.

IIRC, very early on, sooo many things were scrubbed. ;-)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

You are right. Jonah Shacknai had an air tight alibi. He was staying at the hospital where there are plenty of cameras as opposed to his mansion 15 mins away.

So was Dina, but that didn’t stop the Zahaus from accusing her of murder.

Nor is one able to "fake DNA" when it has 'scrubbed'. For sure wouldn't be the first time.

Can you expound on tell me how anyone would “scrub” their DNA but not Rebeccas?

How did they not leave one hair, one skin cell? How did they know where Rebecca’s DNA even was to NOT “scrub” it?

Did Adam have a microscope with him?

Because Nina wasn't at the hospital and Jonah was. RZ would have been communicating with him if there were any developments. She had already spoken for quite a while with Nina earlier in the day when she picked her up at the airport. RZ was engaged in a conversation with her sister, giving her updates.

Most likely, once she finished texting with her sister, she went to take a shower and get clothes ready for herself and JS for the next day. Based on evidence & blood patterns, Keith Greer thinks RZ took her shower. Put on the towel and left the bathroom to go into the master bedroom. Something caused her to go to the bedroom door and, based on blood patterns on the carpeting, she stood there for some time talking to someone (probably Adam, he was the only other person on the property). At that point, RZ was forced down the hallway to the back bedroom. She struggled again at the door to that room where her towel was pulled off. More blood stains were found on the carpeting there in the hallway where the towel dropped. Farther into the balcony bedroom, more blood was found on the carpeting, indicated she was laying there, nude for a while, probably when she was tied up.

Greer estimates she could have been killed by 11:30 pm

attachment.php

Source: Tricia's podcast with Keith Greer just before the wrongful death trial began

I think this shows Rebecca was confronted very soon after she got out of the shower. No time to even put a tampon in. I mean why else wouldn't she?? Can anyone think of any reason she would not unless she got detained?

How did they not leave one hair, one skin cell? How did they know where Rebecca’s DNA even was to NOT “scrub” it?

Are you sure Rebecca's DNA was found at the spots that were cleaned?

How does one "scrub" just some DNA yet leave identifying DNA behind? RZ's DNA was left behind.

Do you really think big money and power get the same "justice" as the average joe?

I do. My interest in “true crime”began with being an “insider” in the Duke Lacrosse Hoax. From the start, big Media presented the most biased, inaccurate and one sided coverage...literally a media lynch mob.

Their power to drive a narrative was frightening. Of course, eventually the DA was disbarred and spent a night in jail, the False Accuser set fire to an apartment , got off...and then murdered the man who was supporting her. She is now in jail.

Yes, the Zahaus have had much power...since the prime time autopsy.

I've asked the same question. It sounds scientifically impossible, imo.

Was Rebecca's DNA found at the spot where the door had been wiped?
No. Not the knob either. Oh wait, perhaps shes a 'non shedder', just as AS is? [emoji1]

MyBelle: Unfortunately he didn't have any opponents run against him in 2014. As a local, crossing my fingers he will be voted out on June 5, 2018. Enough of the corruption within SDSO!!!

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...molens/sd-me-smolens-gore-20180221-story.html

Hi Tiffanie :wave:

The very same week Rebecca’s civil trial began, he chose not to attend a *scheduled* public debate. The heavily promoted 20/20 episode was to air the following day. Any chance he was concerned he might be asked questions about Rebecca’s case?

Challenger brings cardboard cutout of San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore to debate

Jermaine Ong Mar 2, 2018

Snip-BBM

[FONT=&amp]SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - A debate between candidates for San Diego County sheriff did not go as planned Thursday night.

County Sheriff Bill Gore and candidate Dave Myers were scheduled to face off in a public debate at Clairemont High School, but Gore's office said he could not attend due to a scheduling conflict.

https://www.10news.com/news/challen...-san-diego-county-sheriff-bill-gore-to-debate

[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members