Rebecca Zahau Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The “replacement” ME for the original ME Lucas cannot answer personal questions. I believe it would be considered hearsay? Mr. Greer cannot ask the “replacement” ME why Lucas left Rebecca’s body exposed for 12 plus hours. He cannot testify to what ME Lucas was thinking or doing. This is one reason to remove Lucas as a defense witness, in my opinion.

Lash, I agree. I also think the missing piece of throat is very, very relevant. We never found out if it was common to dispose of. Given the nature of her death, that piece of throat is an important bit of evidence that has been made to "go away". Without the ME on the stand, this can't be asked about.

Also, they had to go all the way to KY to find a "replacement ME"? Give me a break.

There were 2 autopsy’s. One performed by Wecht and one by Lucas. Wecht showed up to explain his findings and conclusion, Lucas did not do the same. With that said, the jury would put more weight into the findings of wecht, who actually performed an autopsy to an outside expert who just read the findings of someone else.

Wecht is also the Plaintiff's expert and was paid. The jury is comprised of residents of that community. They've--and the Judge--have listened to their LE investigators testimony who also concluded it was suicide. The same LE cleared Adam. They've now heard from an expert witness who concurs with their LE and the ME. That's powerful. I do not see how the majority of the jury will disregard all of it and instead conclude not only did their trusted LE and ME get it totally wrong and that Adam was responsible.

I guess I'm confused. This is a wrongful death lawsuit isn't it? Either it is proved Adam caused the death or not. The jury isn't deciding whether it was homicide or suicide.

I guess I’m confused then.......if the jury finds that Adam did cause Rebecca’s death than her death wasn’t a suicide.

Lash, I agree. I also think the missing piece of throat is very, very relevant. We never found out if it was common to dispose of. Given the nature of her death, that piece of throat is an important bit of evidence that has been made to "go away". Without the ME on the stand, this can't be asked about.

Also, they had to go all the way to KY to find a "replacement ME"? Give me a break.

Even if it is common to not put the throat back into place (and I'm not saying that it is), you would think that the ME would want to ensure that there were no questions about the one organ that was so crucial in the findings, wouldn't you? Suspicious.

Wecht is also the Plaintiff's expert and was paid. The jury is comprised of residents of that community. They've--and the Judge--have listened to their LE investigators testimony who also concluded it was suicide. The same LE cleared Adam. They've now heard from an expert witness who concurs with their LE and the ME. That's powerful. I do not see how the majority of the jury will disregard all of it and instead conclude not only did their trusted LE and ME get it totally wrong and that Adam was responsible.

The defenses expert was paid. Not so sure I would say “trusted” would be an accurate way the community would describe their LE. I will agree to disagree on that.

For anyone who's been in the courtroom: What's the make-up of the jury, gender-wise, please and thank you?

The defenses expert was paid. Not so sure I would say “trusted” would be an accurate way the community would describe their LE. I will agree to disagree on that.

From the handful of locals here on these threads, the opposite seems true. They appear to have little to no trust in local authorities (or media).

Does anyone know what type of knots chisnall said was used?

Does anyone know what type of knots chisnall said was used?
Don't know but he had to practice 50 or 60 times before he could do it it was that simple :waitasec:.

I think Wecht's evolving conclusion from "inconclusive" on Dr. Phil to "homicide" at trial would raise a few concerns with the jury. It sure would with me.

I think Wecht's evolving conclusion from "inconclusive" on Dr. Phil to "homicide" at trial would raise a few concerns with the jury. It sure would with me.
It doesn't help to mischaracterize Wecht's evidence. There was some information that was not immediately available to him. I forget what it was now but if need be I can look back through the threads to find it.

Even if it is common to not put the throat back into place (and I'm not saying that it is), you would think that the ME would want to ensure that there were no questions about the one organ that was so crucial in the findings, wouldn't you? Suspicious.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/medici...d-procedures/medicine/post-mortem-examination

“The liver, pancreas, stomach, and esophagus are removed as a unit”

“After an autopsy, pathologists usually put the major organs into plastic bags and store them in body cavities unless they have written permission to keep them. Medical examiners must keep any organs or tissues needed for evidence in a legal case”

Was there any proof of written permission? The throat def wasn’t kept for a legal case as this was ruled as a suicide and performed before the zahau family had a chance to refute suicide.

It doesn't help to mischaracterize Wecht's evidence. There was some information that was not immediately available to him. I forget what it was now but if need be I can look back through the threads to find it.

Wecht was interviewed by Ashleigh banfield on the crime & justice podcast after his testimony and he explained this.

Wecht was interviewed by Ashleigh banfield on the crime & justice podcast after his testimony and he explained this.
Thanks, I was wondering where I heard him discussing that and you've reminded me.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/medici...d-procedures/medicine/post-mortem-examination

The liver, pancreas, stomach, and esophagus are removed as a unit

After an autopsy, pathologists usually put the major organs into plastic bags and store them in body cavities unless they have written permission to keep them. Medical examiners must keep any organs or tissues needed for evidence in a legal case

Was there any proof of written permission? The throat def wasn’t kept for a legal case as this was ruled as a suicide and performed before the zahau family had a chance to refute suicide.

Briit, this is hugely important in the case. So glad you found it!

If only the throat was missing (I believe), that fact corresponds to a bad ME finding that ensured no recourse upon litigation or criminal proceeding. IMO

For anyone who's been in the courtroom: What's the make-up of the jury, gender-wise, please and thank you?

The makeup of the jury seems to be a great cross-section of people. Old, young, middle-aged, different ethnicities, mix of male/female. I am glad you asked because at the time it struck me as a very good mix of people.

I wonder which woman was released due to vacation plans. There was also one woman tearing up during the 911 calls.

How did Wecht explain it when Webb pressed him on it? The news article I read didn't go into detail.

I would assume photos were excluded. However the autopsy report released to the public was 19 pages. First 3 pages are the investigative report signed by DG. Next includes 15 pages of an autopsy report. The last page is the toxicology report.

www.scribd.com/doc/64114521/Reports#

ETA - Remember, Rebecca’s autopsy was also revised the day of the SDSO press conference on 9/2/2011.

YES -- I knew it wasn't 40 pages! Also, the "Investigative Report" has AS dragging the table, cutting RZ down, removing blue gag, and performing cpr BEFORE calling 911.

By the way, did Dr. G. Davis actually say Rebecca's neck was broken?? Or is that a misinterpretation by the author of the San Diego Union Tribune article??

Was anyone in court, that heard him say that??

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-knots-20180326-story.html

Because if he really said that, Greer is going to shred his testimony, IMO.

Great earlier assessment on the substitute ME K_Z! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

And OMG yes, if he really did state that RZ’s neck was broken it will be absolute carnage on the stand ... and rightly so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member