Related Issues and Food for Thought

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or could it be MS's murder charges look pretty weak but his involvement in other areas are not so weak. The Crown wants to keep him in jail until trial, thus the additional charge? This charge stems back to when CN was arrested and the additional charge of LB's murder was laid against MS. Was MS trying to reach out to someone who could prove an alibi for him for the date LB was murdered? Perhaps his family has turned their backs on him and he felt the only person he could reach out to was his girlfriend?

In DM's case, LE have solid evidence of the three murders against him, they don't feel the need to charge him. Perhaps he was charged, we just didn't get that memo ;) Or as Snooper said, maybe his attempt failed? Or did CN turn DM's correspondence into LE? Former girlfriend. :thinking: MOO.

RSBM, BBM

Personally, I doubt that a breach charge was needed to keep MS in jail when he already has 2 murder charges. And as such, I doubt that DM's 3 were enough that they thought, 'Nah, no need to bother with more charges.'

Bolded: It is not MS's job to go trying to 'prove' an alibi from jail, that certainly makes it seem like he's fishing for an alibi. If he really had an alibi, all he would have to do would be to tell LE so that they could clear him, or tell his lawyer so that his lawyer could secure an unadulterated statement instead of one that would surely be tainted now.

And again, if it were CN who turned in correspondences from DM from prison, there would be enough to charge him with that as well as MS. I refuse to believe that LE are playing favourites between the two in respect to breach charges, personally. So if they weren't, than that would mean to me that there are no breach charges for DM am because there is no evidence that he breached, despite that story about him trying to contact his cousin. Perhaps that really was nothing but a story, because I am sure that if a reporter had evidence of a crime being committed, they would bring that evidence to the attention of LE, surely.

All of this is my opinion only.

We have no idea. I have never read anything that says he himself used drugs. MOO

Maybe someone else has found evidence to the contrary, not the 'drug fueled party' media hype type of evidence, but actual evidence. TIA

I don't remember DM having any drug charges against him, unlike the other suspect.

Having drug charges and doing drugs aren't the same thing. JMO

Having drug charges and doing drugs aren't the same thing. JMO

Thats right. In this case it seems we have proof of one accused being a drug user/drug charges but not of the other. MOO

It proves Mark Smich is a lousy criminal. Millard got away with it for years. JMO

It proves Mark Smich is a lousy criminal. Millard got away with it for years. JMO

We have no idea whether or not anyone has got away with anything. It's easy to form opinions based on a dislike of someone that was formed by media coverage.

It could well be that DM has not used/sold drugs. He may have known people who did, which is a fact as it happens. From the evidence to date DM is no more a drug user or drug trafficker than he is Santa Claus JMO

From what I know, for a breach charge, proof of an attempt is all that is needed, it doesn't matter if the attempt was successful or not for that charge to apply.

I doubt that CN's accessory charge could stem from communicating with DM when he was in jail, since the dates of the charges are from when he was still a free man, before his arrest, from what I remember.

No, between April 10 and July 31, 2014, which is after CN's arrest last year when both DM and MS had been in a cell for a year.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5262706-co-accused-in-bosma-murder-case-faces-new-charge/

It's funny that some don't think that he'd be so brazen as to write a letter from jail, yet the same people regularly push the idea of him being brazen enough to kill unprovoked. That is an odd condradiction to me, personally.

Brazen I mean impudent or cocky or shameless or not following your lawyer's instructions or willing to break the law regardless. And you're right, there's no predicting that he would not write a letter to CN and slip it in with something else to someone else...and the guards were monitoring all of his mail. Maybe he really was that stupid, because he was stupid enough not to know his mail was being monitored. It could have happened.

So that would also mean to me that if DM might not be brazen enough to risk a breach charge, but MS was, perhaps MS is the brazen one of the two, the one more likely to be brazen enough to kill unprovoked, following that pattern of logic, in my opinion only.

Or, instead of trying to figure out who is the cockier guy, imagine what would happen if two very cocky guys went out on a mission together...

When it came to seeking thrills, DM had the means to be an adrenaline junkie. He had fast cars and trucks, jet skis, and big boy toys, airplanes and helicopter, the means to travel and do things like skydiving or sailing to relieve his adrenaline cravings, but what means did MS have to express his need for a thrill? Drugs and a spray can?

Actually I would say that MS had DM as a means to a thrill: DM was renowned for footing the bill for others so no doubt without DM, MS was pretty financially limited in available thrills.

We have no idea whether or not anyone has got away with anything. It's easy to form opinions based on a dislike of someone that was formed by media coverage.

It could well be that DM has not used/sold drugs. He may have known people who did, which is a fact as it happens. From the evidence to date DM is no more a drug user or drug trafficker than he is Santa Claus JMO

Why did LB go to DM for drugs?

Ask yourself that. If DM has nothing to do with that sort of thing...why did DM tell SL that LB came to him for drugs?

RSBM, BBM

Personally, I doubt that a breach charge was needed to keep MS in jail when he already has 2 murder charges. And as such, I doubt that DM's 3 were enough that they thought, 'Nah, no need to bother with more charges.'

Bolded: It is not MS's job to go trying to 'prove' an alibi from jail, that certainly makes it seem like he's fishing for an alibi. If he really had an alibi, all he would have to do would be to tell LE so that they could clear him, or tell his lawyer so that his lawyer could secure an unadulterated statement instead of one that would surely be tainted now.

And again, if it were CN who turned in correspondences from DM from prison, there would be enough to charge him with that as well as MS. I refuse to believe that LE are playing favourites between the two in respect to breach charges, personally. So if they weren't, than that would mean to me that there are no breach charges for DM am because there is no evidence that he breached, despite that story about him trying to contact his cousin. Perhaps that really was nothing but a story, because I am sure that if a reporter had evidence of a crime being committed, they would bring that evidence to the attention of LE, surely.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way FYI Juballee. MS is in jail until after the trial. From there he will either go to prison or be released. One is not excused from the charges or jail because there could be an indication they didn't commit murder. HTH.

IF MS was feeling desperate to get in touch with the person who could provide his alibi, and after many failed attempts, to get in touch with his lawyer, that most certainly could be a reason for him to breach court order.

Looking at the big picture though, the breach is minor and could once again go to show MS's choice of petty crimes. Wonder why he wasn't charged with theft over and forcible confinement like DM was? All MOO.

Birds of a feather flock together. ;)

Only so much can be drawn from a social media presence, but what online persona left of Mr. Millard after his arrest does not present him as a typical CEO. On Twitter, devoid of context, one of Mr. Millard’s friends made references to an edgy lifestyle, perhaps jokingly.

“I’m either going to sleep or doing heroin,” the friend quoted Mr. Millard as saying a year ago.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-was-always-a-little-different-classmate-says

A former acquaintance of Millard's, who says she had attended almost two dozen parties at his home in the Toronto suburb of Etobicoke, told CBC News that Millard and Noudga were dating.

"But [Millard] and Laura [Babcock] were just fooling around," she said. "He kept Laura around and gave her drugs."

The source asked CBC not to use her name because she said she was "terrified" of Millard. She described many of his parties as fuelled by cocaine and the drug MDMA and recalled several times when large brawls broke out.

"It's disturbing," she said. "I've been alone in a house with him."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...a-death-faces-2-more-murder-charges-1.2605741

And he blew cash on massive parties that became renowned among his friends.

"I aspired to that image in some ways because people wanted that of me," he says, pulling up his orange sleeves, revealing large tattoos across both arms reading, "I am heaven sent" and "Don't you dare forget."

"I threw some parties. I tried to make that a reality for my friends."

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4...dellen-millard-says-he-didn-t-kill-tim-bosma/

He used his family’s earlier Toronto hangar to host a rave and take photos of a naked woman for a 2005 online album entitled “Cockpit.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rge-in-mysterious-bosma-case/article12757899/

Mr. Millard, who is being investigated in relation to Ms. Babcock’s disappearance, later told Mr. Lerner that she had been asking him for drugs and a place to stay, which Mr. Millard said he declined.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rge-in-mysterious-bosma-case/article12757899/

Rave
1) n. any gathering of people centered around listening to and dancing to electronic music, as played by a set of live djs. Originated in 1989 in the UK as underground, often illegal gatherings in abandoned warehouses. Often characterized by the positive, psychedelic atmosphere, influnced often (but not always) by drugs and casual sex.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rave

Why did LB go to DM for drugs?

Ask yourself that. If DM has nothing to do with that sort of thing...why did DM tell SL that LB came to him for drugs?

From the media reports I've read LB was calling many people around that time. A drug user will ask anyone they know if they have a way to get what they want. If DM told SL that LB was asking him about getting hold of drugs, obviously DM didn't have a problem stating that. I have known people walking a downtown street get asked where someone can find marijuana, from a total stranger.

I think LB probably asked many people if they could get drugs for her JMO. DM obviously was not able to provide or sell her any or he would have told SL that the last time he saw her he was delivering the goods. In my opinion LB's disappearance is nothing to do with DM, that assumption has come from the insinuations given to the police by another.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way FYI Juballee. MS is in jail until after the trial. From there he will either go to prison or be released. One is not excused from the charges or jail because there could be an indication they didn't commit murder. HTH.

IF MS was feeling desperate to get in touch with the person who could provide his alibi, and after many failed attempts, to get in touch with his lawyer, that most certainly could be a reason for him to breach court order.

Looking at the big picture though, the breach is minor and could once again go to show MS's choice of petty crimes. Wonder why he wasn't charged with theft over and forcible confinement like DM was? All MOO.

MS's gf could have made a surprise phone call only to affirm her love and support and belief it would all work out in the end, and if MS didn't hang up the second he recognized her voice, he would be in breach. The penalty is up to 2 years (but more practically and routinely it seems to be something like 30 days, from lawyer's sites)

The lawyers sites seemed to suggest that all breaches are a bad thing, because there tends to be a penalty, it tends to be non-negotiable (no benefits or breaks from pleading guilty), and it's a real black mark that indicates you are uncooperative towards the law. It makes it harder to get bail in the future.

The ironic thing is MS has all these small time crimes on his record, graffiti, DUI, drug peddling, breaches so he's the real criminal whereas DM is charged with theft over $5000, forcible confinement and 3 counts of first degree murder and all signs are that he is a law-abiding citizen.

I do believe it has been said previously by certain people that they (accused) should not have a right to silence in the matter of murder etc . DM or MS should just speak to LE and tell the truth so that this whole thing can be over.

Now it's the opposite ?

So even if MS or DM had of told the facts of any innocence to LE they would have got nowhere ! This is exactly what several people have been saying, from what I have read. This is why people do have the right to remain silent, so that it cannot be used against them.

:thinking: :fainted:

DM obviously was not able to provide or sell her any or he would have told SL that the last time he saw her he was delivering the goods. In my opinion LB's disappearance is nothing to do with DM, that assumption has come from the insinuations given to the police by another.
<rs&bbm>

I don't think it's obvious at all. All we know is that is DM told SL he did not give Laura drugs. I don't think that equates to it being obvious he didn't provide them.

Why would one believe DM on this issue but choose not to believe others who have stated that DM supplied LB with drugs?

From the media reports I've read LB was calling many people around that time. A drug user will ask anyone they know if they have a way to get what they want. If DM told SL that LB was asking him about getting hold of drugs, obviously DM didn't have a problem stating that. I have known people walking a downtown street get asked where someone can find marijuana, from a total stranger.

Because, you know, there are legitimate places to go http://www.yelp.ca/biz/roach-o-rama-toronto-2?osq=cannabis+cafés

LB was using harder drugs than that.

I think LB probably asked many people if they could get drugs for her JMO. DM obviously was not able to provide or sell her any or he would have told SL that the last time he saw her he was delivering the goods. In my opinion LB's disappearance is nothing to do with DM, that assumption has come from the insinuations given to the police by another.

Well what I gather is that these are party people. It's not that DM is a dealer but that he has a party, playboy lifestyle. Maybe he just didn't want to foot the bill for her.

MS's gf could have made a surprise phone call only to affirm her love and support and belief it would all work out in the end, and if MS didn't hang up the second he recognized her voice, he would be in breach. The penalty is up to 2 years (but more practically and routinely it seems to be something like 30 days, from lawyer's sites)

The lawyers sites seemed to suggest that all breaches are a bad thing, because there tends to be a penalty, it tends to be non-negotiable (no benefits or breaks from pleading guilty), and it's a real black mark that indicates you are uncooperative towards the law. It makes it harder to get bail in the future.

The ironic thing is MS has all these small time crimes on his record, graffiti, DUI, drug peddling, breaches so he's the real criminal whereas DM is charged with theft over $5000, forcible confinement and 3 counts of first degree murder and all signs are that he is a law-abiding citizen.

bbm

I would have thought, persons on the Do-not-contact-list aren't allowed too, to have contact to the remand prisoner - or is it only the other way round?

bbm

I would have thought, persons on the Do-not-contact-list aren't allowed too, to have contact to the remand prisoner - or is it only the other way round?

MS is the one with the conditions (no contact list) so if there is any contact, no matter who initiated it (he contacts her or she contacts him), it's exclusively his problem/his punishment. The gf would not face any charges.

He is supposed to go to court and request a change in his no contact list (DM tried but failed to get a person off his no contact list - maybe MS can't afford to fight that fight)

I do believe it has been said previously by certain people that they (accused) should not have a right to silence in the matter of murder etc . DM or MS should just speak to LE and tell the truth so that this whole thing can be over.

Now it's the opposite ?

So even if MS or DM had of told the facts of any innocence to LE they would have got nowhere ! This is exactly what several people have been saying, from what I have read. This is why people do have the right to remain silent, so that it cannot be used against them.

:thinking: :fainted:

Back up Tamarind. Reread my previous posts if that helps. You're taking something out of context and seem confused. Maybe I can help to clarify your confusion here and now if that would help. I have (we have) been speaking about MS's breach, not about when he was first arrested. (When he could have and may have or might have decided to use his right to remain silent. It's called interrogation. ;) ) OK so back on track...

MS had already spent almost a year in jail when he was informed he was charged with LB's murder. IF he had no idea LB was murdered, but all of a sudden he's being charged with her murder, that certain would come as a shock to him and may cause him distress, distress enough to breach court order by trying to contact his girlfriend. It was way too late at this point to tell anything to LE. HTH, comprendre? :) MOO.

No, between April 10 and July 31, 2014, which is after CN's arrest last year when both DM and MS had been in a cell for a year.

Brazen I mean impudent or cocky or shameless or not following your lawyer's instructions or willing to break the law regardless. And you're right, there's no predicting that he would not write a letter to CN and slip it in with something else to someone else...and the guards were monitoring all of his mail. Maybe he really was that stupid, because he was stupid enough not to know his mail was being monitored. It could have happened.

RSBM, BBM

When I said that I doubt that CN's accessory charge can stem from communicating with DM after his arrest because of the dates, I meant the dates LE say that CN was helping DM, which as I recall where in the week before DM's arrest. I didn't mean the dates that MS is charged with breaching, I'm not sure what those dates would have to do with DM and CN?

And bolded: I'm not sure what this means, does it mean that it was strongly predicted that DM would breach by writing CN, and now people are disappointed that he didn't? How is it stupid that he didn't write to CN? Sure, it could have happened, but we have no charges saying that it did, as we have against MS, which leads me to strongly believe that although it could have happened, it didn't happen.

In my opinion, the word brazen can certainly be applied to murder if it can be applied to letter writing.

RSBM

I didn't know that prisoners can now receive phone calls, is that a new thing? I'd be very surprised if it was, because then how could the prison monitor who was calling that the prisoners were not allowed to contact? Do the guards sit around all day waiting for calls to come in for the prisoners. No, that would be silly, in my opinion. From what I know, prisoners with phone privileges have a limited list of approved numbers that they may call at approved times and for restricted lengths. They must call out collect, and the person being called must accept the charges, that is one of the ways that they ensure that prisoners are not calling and harassing people they should not. Those calls are also monitored, just like the mail, to ensure that the prisoners are not creating alibis, ordering hits on witnesses or continuing with their illegal trades while in jail.

In my opinion, the fact that one has been a criminal for years versus the fact that one has never been charged with a crime previously makes a difference in the probability of one being more likely to be guilty than the other, or to at least be the instigator. It's not just me, it's only human to look for patterns, and to expect more trouble from previous trouble makers. Police keep people's criminal records on file instead of shredding them because to LE it is way more probable that crimes are committed by repeat offenders than by law abiding citizens who have never been convicted of a crime.

And in my personal opinion, selling cocaine and DUI are things that have the potential to kill people, that is one of the reasons to why they are illegal. Perhaps if one does not know anyone who has ever died from a drinking and driving related accident, or anyone who has ever died from a drug overdose, than those would be minor, petty crimes, but to many who have suffered from the related effects of those two crimes, they are serious, not small time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members