Related Issues and Food for Thought

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ancient articles on DM retrieved through the library system (so citations instead of links)

VERY COOL: [Final Edition] The Record [Kitchener, Ont] 11 Sep 1999: I04.

FLY GUY:

Dellen Millard of Toronto really is a "fly" guy. On Aug. 30, his 14th birthday, Dellen became the youngest person in the world to fly a helicopter. To mark his b-day, he took his first solo flight in a Cessna, landed and then climbed aboard a helicopter as pilot. The amateur aviator has only been taking flying lessons since June 30 - talk about fast learner! The real challenge for Dellen will be getting his driver's licence two years from now. Up, up and away.

DM's massive achievement as a teenager only took 2 months' worth of effort.

Teen flyer sets world records as he follows in family tradition: [Final Edition] The Record [Kitchener, Ont] 31 Aug 1999: A03.

Moments later, Dellen Millard, 14, celebrated his birthday by making it three generations of flying Millards as he successfully made his first solo flight in a Cessna 172.

Flight instructor Marilyn Daigle took him up for three circuits then stepped out of the single-engine plane and gave him the go- ahead to take off.

"He's a fine pilot . . . full of desire," Daigle said as Dellen made his circuit and landed smoothly on the tarmac, the flight lasting only a few minutes.

Ten minutes later, the Toronto teenager flew a 590-kilogram Robinson helicopter, becoming the world's youngest person to fly solo in a whirlybird and a fixed-winged craft on the same day. He's also believed to be the youngest person to solo in a helicopter.

Another 14 year old girl achieved the record for youngest fixed-wing pilot alone.

"It was a great flight," he said, moments after landing the Cessna and receiving applause from family members. "It went by a lot faster than I thought it would."

Dellen's helicopter flight went as smoothly as his Cessna ride.

With both flights complete, Grandpa Millard gave Dellen an heirloom clock.

"My grandmother gave it to me when I was flying for Trans-Canada Airlines (1944-1955) to wake me up in the morning," Carl said. "So now Dellen can use it."

Dellen also received a trophy commemorating his flights and a traditional free breakfast from the Brampton Flying Club for all pilots making their first solo runs.

Hmmm, that clock didn't turn DM into an early riser....

Young pilot reaches new heights ; Believed to be youngest to fly helicopter solo: [1 Edition] Mitchell, BobView Profile. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 30 Aug 1999: 1.

"We've been told Dellen will be the youngest person to ever fly solo in a helicopter and the first person to take both solo flights on the same day," said his father Wayne, a former Air Canada pilot.

At 85, Grandpa Millard is still flying and is believed to be Canada's oldest commercial pilot still in the air.

Dellen, who enters Grade 10 at the Toronto French School next month, has been taking flying lessons since June. He took his first helicopter lesson on June 30 and now has more than 40 hours of helicopter flying under his wings and another 30 hours behind the controls of a Cessna.

"I don't know if I want to be a professional pilot one day, but I know I'll have the ability to do that if I choose to," said Dellen, who was 8 when his father let him steer a commercial flight en route to Grand Rapids, Mich.

Wayne Millard said it costs $300 an hour for helicopter flights and about $100 an hour for Cessna flights.

"It's kind of funny, but it will be another two years before my son can get his driver's licence and the age to legally drive any boat is being raised to 18 in September," he said.

"Even when he turns 16, he won't be able to drive a car without another person with him, but he could fly by himself from St. John's to Vancouver."

"He's a natural, way above average," Jacques Sevenig, his helicopter instructor, said.

"From the first day that I flew with him, I knew he would be a good pilot."

So 40 h x $300 for the helicopter, 30 h x $100 for the plane...WM spent $15,000 over 2 months to allow DM to set his piloting record.

So 40 h x $300 for the helicopter, 30 h x $100 for the plane...WM spent $15,000 over 2 months to allow DM to set his piloting record.

Yes , it can be pricey , I paid for my own training in the 1980's and it cost the equivalent of buying a small house

Today a turbine rated commercial helicopter pilot can easily spend $80k to $100k .... and still be unemployable because they only have 100 hours of flight time (Most companies like to see a minimum of 1000 hrs) .... often the new pilot will pay even more money to become flight instructors to build flight time , and then eventually get a "real job" to earn some money back

Often the first job is living in a tent the North Wilderness flying geologists around .... or you could end up On Top of The World doing this stuff ....

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/483614-top-world-photos-nepal.html

SnooperDooper .... great articles on Dellen's early training , thanks .... I think CTV has the full 1999 TV interview video with DM WM MB and CM ... I wish they would put the whole thing on YouTube.

Here is one for you girls .... anyone remember Dini Petty and her afternoon Canadian talk show ??

I really like Dini , she is a cool gal .... and good looking too !!

How many of you know she flew helicopters in her early career .....

Talk about "Pretty in Pink" .... enjoy .....

dini petty pink 269.jpg Dini Petty pink  Hughes 269 .jpg

Yes , it can be pricey , I paid for my own training in the 1980's and it cost the equivalent of buying a small house

Today a turbine rated commercial helicopter pilot can easily spend $80k to $100k .... and still be unemployable because they only have 100 hours of flight time (Most companies like to see a minimum of 1000 hrs) .... often the new pilot will pay even more money to become flight instructors to build flight time , and then eventually get a "real job" to earn some money back

Often the first job is living in a tent the North Wilderness flying geologists around .... or you could end up On Top of The World doing this stuff ....

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/483614-top-world-photos-nepal.html

Well the $15k WM spent would be $21k in today's dollars...it's stunning to think how much this skill costs to earn. It gets better, right ;)?

Ancient articles on DM retrieved through the library system (so citations instead of links)

Teen flyer sets world records as he follows in family tradition: [Final Edition] The Record [Kitchener, Ont] 31 Aug 1999: A03.

Another 14 year old girl achieved the record for youngest fixed-wing pilot alone.

Young pilot reaches new heights ; Believed to be youngest to fly helicopter solo: [1 Edition] Mitchell, BobView Profile. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 30 Aug 1999: 1.

It touches me.
How could his life come up to this point, where it is now? He really had all options.

A bit of an investigative timeline:

May 17, 2013: Police reopen their investigations into LB’s disappearance and WM’s death.

Police say Toronto homicide detectives have reopened their investigation into the death of Wayne Millard last November.

The death, which took place at the home shared by Wayne and Dellen Millard, was originally ruled a suicide.

Police also say Laura Babcock, a 23-year-old woman last seen in Toronto’s Roncevalles neighbourhood in June 2012, is now a part of the investigation.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/investi...s-in-connection-with-dellen-millard-1.1286519

The death of Wayne Millard, operator of the family aviation company Millardair, was originally declared a suicide.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...osma_killing_charged_with_2_more_murders.html

May 31, 2013: ABro's Declining Dynasty article alleges LE mistook a murder for a suicide:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/m...-bosma-murder-suspect-started-to-dismantle-it

July 30, 2013: Use of MCM and PowerCase initiated

After Ancaster man Tim Bosma’s burned body was discovered in May 2013, police started a multi-jurisdictional major case management of the investigation, pulling together officers from Hamilton, Toronto, Brantford and Waterloo under the Ontario Provincial Police’s direction.

The team, led by Det.-Insp. Dave Hillman, formed on July 30 and continued to probe the deaths of Bosma, Millard’s father, Wayne, and missing Toronto woman Laura Babcock after Millard was first charged with Bosma’s murder nearly a year ago.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2..._thank_for_additional_arrests_police_say.html

October 3, 2013 "Investigative link" and use of MCM revealed in media

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...s_to_dellen_millard_added_to_joint_probe.html

It touches me.
How could his life come up to this point, where it is now? He really had all options.

It touches many people as to how someone could be so evil to murder three innocent people in such a nefarious fashion by shooting them, maybe chopping them up and burning them. It takes a real warped and evil person to do such deeds.

Well when someone is greedy, perhaps sick in the mind and thinks they are above the law, that the law will not catch them because they're so intelligent, believe they are invincible and have no compassion for others with no sense of guilt or shame, that's how these things happen IMHO.

At this point we're still not sure if he had all options. IMO DM murdered his father for the money, CM/WM's estate, DM's inheritance. ALL MOO.

It touches many people as to how someone could be so evil to murder three innocent people in such a nefarious fashion by shooting them, maybe chopping them up and burning them. It takes a real warped and evil person to do such deeds.

Well when someone is greedy, perhaps sick in the mind and thinks they are above the law, that the law will not catch them because they're so intelligent, believe they are invincible and have no compassion for others with no sense of guilt or shame, that's how these things happen IMHO.

At this point we're still not sure if he had all options. IMO DM murdered his father for the money, CM/WM's estate, DM's inheritance. ALL MOO.

I recently read this article, How to keep your kids from blowing the family fortune, http://business.financialpost.com/p...heirs-from-blowing-through-the-family-fortune

70 per cent of wealthy families lose their wealth by the second generation, and a stunning 90 per cent by the third, according to the Williams Group wealth consultancy.

Now the M family fortune made it safely from the first to the second generation in large part because CW passed when WM was in his 60's.

Meanwhile, the third generation, DM, is itching to buy a Tesla for the second generation's ex wife:

When I asked financial planners why the wealthy are so poor at passing along money smarts and why second- and third-generation heirs turn out to be so ham-handed, the answers were surprisingly frank.

A sampling: “Most of them have no clue as to the value of money or how to handle it.” “Generation Threes are usually doomed.” “It takes the average recipient of an inheritance 19 days until they buy a new car

Do you think DM would be willing to stand by until he was in his 60's in order to gain full control of the family fortune? He was/is at an age where parents, even wealthy ones, expect their children to display financial independence.

bbm

Logically. Me too.

It touches me.

Ryan Lucas, a former football player with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, now coaches troubled teenagers in the gang prevention program.

"The one phenomenon I've found out here that's unique ... is that it's not just at-risk kids from poor families getting sucked in," Lucas said.

"More and more there are kids who come from affluent families who have the same draw and pull as the kids doing it out of necessity."

"Everybody wants to be a gangster type-of-thing. When I was a kid, I used to look at a gangster. I'd be like, he's driving a nice car, he's wearing nice clothes, he's got a nice watch on," said Terrence, 18, whose name has been changed.

"You kind of get lured into it. 'Why can't I have that,' right? You don't weigh out the consequences. You don't see what they had to do to get there, how many times they probably went in and out of jail."

For a period in his early teens, Terrence was repeatedly arrested for cellphone and store thefts. He didn't get along with his middle-class parents, and instead was influenced by much older friends who were committing crimes.

"I know some guys who are still doing it. They're good guys at the end of the day, they're just into the wrong stuff."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pursuit-of-glamour-behind-shootings-in-metro-vancouver-police-1.2432886

I would say DM got involved with the wrong kind of people, but no one put a gun to his head, as these ^ kids say.

He was a willing participant and if he were innocent the charges against him would have been thrown out during the judicial pretrial waaay back on October 22, 2013.

Instead the legal process advances again: 30 weeks to trial (27 weeks to xmas, and jury selection should occur just before that.)

When I read all of this, I am personally left with the impression that DM must have been not only ambitious, but also organized, dedicated, patient and intelligent. Whether it was his idea or not, it was certainly an ambitious plan, especially when you consider that he only had 2 months to learn and train before the deadline of his birthday.

Logging in all those hours of flying in such a short time would have required considerable organization and dedication and patience, something rarely ever seen in 14 year olds from my experience. It would also require an extremely large amount of focus and drive, for someone of any age.

And he would have had to have possessed pretty strong intelligence to have gained not only the technical knowledge required to fly two completely different types of aircraft, but also the ability to think clearly and rationally under pressure with a speed of thought necessary to deal with the emergency situations that might arise when he was alone.

Many 14 year olds today get driven to school by overprotective parents, but DM's family encouraged him to fly solo thousands of feet in the air without a safety net. Obviously they had a lot of confidence in him and trusted him enough to put a considerable amount if money into the endeavour.

To me, this all still supports the idea that DM is patiently waiting for trial like his lawyers told him to, even if it goes against his desire to tell the world his story and clear his name publicly, according to the one and only interview with him by that fresh young reporter, Molly Hayes. She's still the only media source to have spoken to him, from what I recall.

"I want to talk to you…but I just can't," Millard said,

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4075078-exclusive-jail-visits-with-bosma-s-accused-killers/

So what happened to his ambition? He never even finished any program or schooling in anything.

DM's "ambition" ended after age 14 IMO. Then he just kept trying to get away with stuff.

So what happened to his ambition? He never even finished any program or schooling in anything.

Well with the flying training DM had his parents right there, driving him to the airfield, coaching him on, no doubt forcing him to stick to a schedule and attend every day.

This is definitely not something DM took on on his own at the age of 14 as WM pointed out, he couldn't even drive himself to the airfield.

DM achieved at 14 because his parents forced him to...it was not free will or personal inspiration. A kid who was self-motivated and self-driven would NOT say, "I don't know if I want to be a professional pilot one day, but I know I'll have the ability to do that if I choose to"...that is something someone on the fence would say, not someone burning with desire to become a pilot.

I think once the parents lost physical control of him (i.e., being able to drive him to the airport and force him to do something meaningful) and DM was free to chose how to spend his days, he didn't even want to go to school.

When I read all of this, I am personally left with the impression that DM must have been not only ambitious, but also organized, dedicated, patient and intelligent. Whether it was his idea or not, it was certainly an ambitious plan, especially when you consider that he only had 2 months to learn and train before the deadline of his birthday.

Logging in all those hours of flying in such a short time would have required considerable organization and dedication and patience, something rarely ever seen in 14 year olds from my experience. It would also require an extremely large amount of focus and drive, for someone of any age.

And he would have had to have possessed pretty strong intelligence to have gained not only the technical knowledge required to fly two completely different types of aircraft, but also the ability to think clearly and rationally under pressure with a speed of thought necessary to deal with the emergency situations that might arise when he was alone.

Many 14 year olds today get driven to school by overprotective parents, but DM's family encouraged him to fly solo thousands of feet in the air without a safety net. Obviously they had a lot of confidence in him and trusted him enough to put a considerable amount if money into the endeavour.

To me, this all still supports the idea that DM is patiently waiting for trial like his lawyers told him to, even if it goes against his desire to tell the world his story and clear his name publicly, according to the one and only interview with him by that fresh young reporter, Molly Hayes. She's still the only media source to have spoken to him, from what I recall.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4075078-exclusive-jail-visits-with-bosma-s-accused-killers/

Well after the parents forced him to achieve the flying record, DM graduated from high school (after his parents forced him to). Any other achievements we know of?

DM's "ambition" ended after age 14 IMO. Then he just kept trying to get away with stuff.

Maybe, his ambition was not to get bored and after his flight licenses there was not enough for him re action/success/acceptance/... and so on. NO excuse to become a criminal, of course.

^ Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun has written that the murder of TB must have been a thrill kill, for kicks, since the beginning. JW is close to LE and wrote the first articles on the incinerator and the chop shop. He has never changed his position and I wonder what makes him so sure this was all for excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadstrangepod