Remembering Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily
@RoyalFamily

The Queen Consort is pictured with some of the 1,000 teddy bears that were left in tribute to Queen Elizabeth, which will now be donated to @barnardos
The bears have been scrubbed up to look their best ahead of arrival at their new home.

Attachments

• E99761BC-7F93-4A70-A386-3336476EECC8.jpeg
    E99761BC-7F93-4A70-A386-3336476EECC8.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 15
In some cases, the word "consort" has a negative connotation. I would like very much to see the word "consort" dropped in Camilla's title following the coronation. I have never liked hearing the word "consort" used in reference to Camilla. I realize that, as a noun, it simply means that she is the spouse of a reigning monarch, but as a verb, "consort" implies that Camilla is someone disapproved of by others. JMO

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

con·sort

noun

/ˈkänsôrt/
  1. a wife, husband, or companion, in particular the spouse of a reigning monarch.

verb

/kənˈsôrt,ˈkänˌsôrt/
  1. habitually associate with (someone), typically with the disapproval of others.
    "you chose to consort with the enemy"

Last edited:
In some cases, the word "consort" has a negative connotation. I would like very much to see the word "consort" dropped in Camilla's title following the coronation. I have never liked hearing the word "consort" used in reference to Camilla. I realize that, as a noun, it simply means that she is the spouse of a reigning monarch, but as a verb, "consort" implies that Camilla is someone disapproved of by others. JMO

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

con·sort

noun

/ˈkänsôrt/
  1. a wife, husband, or companion, in particular the spouse of a reigning monarch.

verb

/kənˈsôrt,ˈkänˌsôrt/
  1. habitually associate with (someone), typically with the disapproval of others.
    "you chose to consort with the enemy"

There are three kinds of Queens in Royal families.

There is a Queen Regnant, blood Princess who becomes Queen upon the death/abdication of a Monarch.

There is a Queen Consort, wife of a King with equal status but not power unless acting as a Regent. No negative connotation, simply the wife of a reigning King.

There is a Queen Dowager, the widow of a King. If they had children, they can be called the Queen/King Mother, although it’s a rarer title.

Camillas proper title would be Queen Consort, as such she would be anointed and crowned.

I seriously doubt Consort will be dropped, it would be an incorrect title.

That article is from the DM, anything to sell papers…lol

Last edited:
There are three kinds of Queens in Royal families.

There is a Queen Regnant, blood Princess who becomes Queen upon the death/abdication of a Monarch.

There is a Queen Consort, wife of a King with equal status but not power unless acting as a Regent. No negative connotation, simply the wife of a reigning King.

There is a Queen Dowager, the widow of a King. If they had children, they can be called the Queen/King Mother, although it’s a rarer title.

Camillas proper title would be Queen Consort, as such she would be anointed and crowned.

I seriously doubt Consort will be dropped, it would be an incorrect title.

That article is from the DM, anything to sell papers…lol
I think what is meant is that at this point, Queen Camilla is often referred as “Queen Consort”, likely as a consequence of her, err, “unique” journey to this title and the resulting delicacy in treading around public sentiment regarding it.

The other European queens consort (is that grammatically correct?) are virtually never referred to as such, but simply as “Queen Maxima”, “Queen Letizia”, etc. I believe that is what the aim is for with regard to Queen Camilla, too, in time.

I think what is meant is that at this point, Queen Camilla is often referred as “Queen Consort”, likely as a consequence of her, err, “unique” journey to this title and the resulting delicacy in treading around public sentiment regarding it.

The other European queens consort (is that grammatically correct?) are virtually never referred to as such, but simply as “Queen Maxima”, “Queen Letizia”, etc. I believe that is what the aim is for with regard to Queen Camilla, too, in time.

Yep, I get it but a lot of people have long memories and the late Queen declared that Camilla would be Queen Consort. Only time will tell.

Mind you, Charles has sold the late Queens horses already…..lol

Last edited:

Also Queen Mary, aka Mary of Teck, HRH Queen Elizabeth's grandmother; and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum. Both were Queen Consort, technically. IIRC there is a nice scene in The Crown where a staffer looks confused while speaking with a young HRH Queen Elizabeth (Queen Regnant) outside Queen Mary's room. HRH Elizabeth explains it, something like, "yes, we have several Queens, and it is confusing. Queen Mary is a Queen as her husband was King, and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother as well, while I am The Queen."

I agree that Queen Consort Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall will ease into the role of Queen as she eased into the role of Duchess of Cornwall over the years.

I have a wonderful photograph of a cousin in Wales during World War II. She is in a church kitchen, gloves in hand, handbag on arm -- standing next to The Queen Mum, also holding gloves with handbag on her arm.

Here in the USA, I am ethnically Welsh & happy with our Prince & Princess!

jmho ymmv lrr

Yep, I get it but a lot of people have long memories and the late Queen declared that Camilla would be Queen Consort. Only time will tell.

Mid you, Charles has sold the late Queens horses already…..lol

Well which ones???

The racing stables? Fell ponies?

And how does he think the State Coach will work out during his Coronation???

Hmmm -- Enquiring Minds Wanna Know!

I agree about Camilla.

IRL there is a great anecdote about Palace staff putting HM the Queen Mother through to HM the Queen on the phone & letting her know who is on the line when she picks up : “ Your Majesty, Her Majesty Your Majesty”

If you google the other European Queens, they are referred to as Queen Consort of the Netherlands and Queen Consort of Spain on Wiki.

That is the proper title for all women married to a reigning King.

I think in a relaxed or daily conversation, its likely they drop the word ’consort’ for those queens.

As you say, Camilla has had a ‘unique journey’ to the throne.

I remember when people were tossing bread rolls at her and calling her names.

JMO, IMO, Camilla has been called lots worse than ‘consort’.

JMO, she’d be smart to be content with Queen Consort, they won’t have a long reign and have started out with a great wave of popularity.

Why risk wrecking it?

Im not sure that the public will be so quick to forgive or forget but her title is not based on popularity.

Yes, I’m aware that the “proper” or formal, title of the European queens, except the Queen regnant of Denmark, is “Queen consort”. Per my comment above, most, from what I have seen, are styled, informally, in news articles, blog posts, etc., as “Queen…”, sans “consort”. Except Queen Camilla. I do think that that is due to her unique journey to title, and a certain delicacy is felt regarding Queen Camilla vs. other European Queens Consort due to that unique journey.

Here is Wikipedia regarding Queen Max wherein nowhere in the first paragraph is it mentioned that she is “Queen Consort” (in fact, she is called “Queen of the Netherlands), yet in the Wikipedia entry for QC it’s in the second sentence.

Vs.

If you google the other European Queens, they are referred to as Queen Consort of the Netherlands and Queen Consort of Spain on Wiki.

That is the proper title for all women married to a reigning King.

I think in a relaxed or daily conversation, its likely they drop the word ’consort’ for those queens.

As you say, Camilla has had a ‘unique journey’ to the throne.

I remember when people were tossing bread rolls at her and calling her names.

JMO, IMO, Camilla has been called lots worse than ‘consort’.

JMO, she’d be smart to be content with Queen Consort, they won’t have a long reign and have started out with a great wave of popularity.

Why risk wrecking it?

Im not sure that the public will be so quick to forgive or forget but her title is not based on popularity.
JDG,
I think I misread your comment. My apologies if my comment was a bit frosty. Mea culpa.

Yes, I’m aware that the “proper” or formal, title of the European queens, except the Queen regnant of Denmark, is “Queen consort”. Per my comment above, most, from what I have seen, are styled, informally, in news articles, blog posts, etc., as “Queen…”, sans “consort”. Except Queen Camilla. I do think that that is due to her unique journey to title, and a certain delicacy is felt regarding Queen Camilla vs. other European Queens Consort due to that unique journey.

Here is Wikipedia regarding Queen Max wherein nowhere in the first paragraph is it mentioned that she is “Queen Consort” (in fact, she is called “Queen of the Netherlands), yet in the Wikipedia entry for QC it’s in the second sentence.

Vs.

Look right under Queen Maxs photo, it states she is Queen Consort…..

anyway, enough of this, it is the correct title.

Camilla was smart enough to NOT use the title of Princess of Wales, seeing as she was his mistress during his first marriage.

I hope they do not push too much, keep riding the wave of popularity for the sake of the Monarchys long term survival.

Charles has not come to the throne at a good time, economically nor world situation etc. His job is to not rock the boat. lol

Look right under Queen Maxs photo, it states she is Queen Consort…..

anyway, enough of this, it is the correct title.

Camilla was smart enough to NOT use the title of Princess of Wales, seeing as she was his mistress during his first marriage.

I hope they do not push too much, keep riding the wave of popularity for the sake of the Monarchys long term survival.

Charles has not come to the throne at a good time, economically nor world situation etc. His job is to not rock the boat. lol
I don't see the word "consort" associated with Queen Máxima on the Dutch Royal Family website. Wiki is crowd sourced info, so not as reliable as royal family websites.

My impression, after looking at several Royal Family websites is that the husbands of blood queens are princes, and the wives of blood kings are queens. The British Royal Family website uses the term "consort" for Camilla, but perhaps that term will be dropped after the coronation.

It seems that: if there is a king, he is a blood king. If there is a queen, the title of her husband indicates whether she is consort or blood queen.

Camilla is not a queen in her own right. That's all.

I don't believe all European countries can be compared equally on how titles are treated. imo

Camilla is not a queen in her own right. That's all.

I don't believe all European countries can be compared equally on how titles are treated. imo
We know that Queen Camilla is queen by marriage, just like Queen Máxima is queen by marriage.

I'm curious to see whether the term "consort" is dropped from the British Royal Family website after the coronation. It almost seems redundant to use the term "consort" when everyone knows that King Charles is the blood king.

Of note, the British and Dutch royal families are related, so it would not be surprising that they have similar traditions and protocols.

"King Willem-Alexander is a distant relation of Queen Elizabeth II, with the pair thought to be fifth cousins, twice removed. And the connection all starts with Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau."

Revealed: King Charles III makes poignant return to Balmoral to thank the soldiers who guarded the Queen at the castle before her death

1666065362342.png

King Charles is accompanied by his loyal guard - Major Johnny Thompson.

:)

WHAT???? Camillas ex is now in the Court Circular doing official duties??

Not a Princess (Yorks) to be found anywhere?

If the hourly rate is high enough, I’d be happy to do some. :cool:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back