Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 16s

Trial for #jodiarias is expected to last until Dec 12th

:gasp: That is a sentencing trial of two months then...someone help me with my math that cannot be right!

Monica Lindstrom ‏@monicalindstrom · 3m
No #JodiArias trial on Oct 9,10,13,29, Nov 10,11,26,27

iirc a long time ago there were trial calendars on WS... for us to keep up with dates. I'm finding I'm wandering to other places to get better information these days. :stay: don't wanna leave here but would like to know where now after the upgrades that place is to keep track and documentation of this type of stuff.

mods? anyone?

:gasp: That is a sentencing trial of two months then...someone help me with my math that cannot be right!

I'm going to take a guess. The jury selection starts on Sept. 29th and I'm thinking they are estimating it will take two weeks. That brings us into October, say around the 12th. It appears they have scheduled two months ahead for the courtroom before another trial starts in that courtroom. Does not mean the retrial will take two months. But then, again?

Also, don't forget they have to get this jury up to speed with reviewing what was testified to in the trial.

I'm going to take a guess. The jury selection starts on Sept. 29th and I'm thinking they are estimating it will take two weeks. That brings us into October, say around the 12th. It appears they have scheduled two months ahead for the courtroom before another trial starts in that courtroom. Does not mean the retrial will take two months. But then, again?

Also, don't forget they have to get this jury up to speed with reviewing what was testified to in the trial.

Oh, AND, there is no court in Arizona on Fridays, correct?

iirc a long time ago there were trial calendars on WS... for us to keep up with dates. I'm finding I'm wandering to other places to get better information these days. :stay: don't wanna leave here but would like to know where now after the upgrades that place is to keep track and documentation of this type of stuff.

mods? anyone?

Hey ATL!
Yes, we used them extensively to keep up with hearings during the Anthony case. To be honest, I haven't checked on the calendars since the upgrade. I'm posting from my phone now & I don't navigate too well from this small device. :iamashamed: As soon as I can fire up my laptop I will check on the calendar function and update you guys tonight.

It would be against the to advocate anyone doing what I just did. FYI, though, I called St. Jude's to protest her donation in Travis' name.

They are getting a LOT of calls and are "concerned" about the donation and "investigating" how to handle it now that they know who Travis is and that his murderer made the donation.

The person I spoke with said they were grateful for the calls. ;)

I'd forgotten about having to rehash the evidence from the original trial. That's guaranteed to be lengthy and filled with endless arguments. Sigh. So maybe 39 days isn't a surprise.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ·45 secs
1 tid bit we learned today was Def wants a cell phone, possibly Travis's? State said it was at court ready. More Mon I hope #jodiarias

:grouphug: beach. I went to another site which tracks trials and calendar dates... it was skeeeeeeeeeeeeeery! tx for helping
Okay, I did a quick check from my phone and all appears to be the same. There is a Calendar tab at the top between FAQ & Community.

If you guys would like we can keep up with hearings, jury selection, etc dates & times here. HOWEVER, we need a mod/admin to do it otherwise it can get confusing when too many people are working on it (time zones, etc). If someone can PM me the Scheduling Order or, in the alternative, a good reliable link where these events, including dates & times are located, I will be happy to enter them and keep up the docket calendar.

I'd forgotten about having to rehash the evidence from the original trial. That's guaranteed to be lengthy and filled with endless arguments. Sigh. So maybe 39 days isn't a surprise.

But can defense argue if they are videos of testimony already given and ruled on?

I don't believe they can rehash a whole lot. It'd probably be something to throw at AzLawyer, but I understand the verdicts from the previous 2 phases are probably about all the jury is going to get from the previous trial........I think the time allotted is because CMJA has "witnesses" this time around......and maybe more of the Alexander family will be making statements?

MC Superior Court ‏@courtpio Sep 15
Next Court dates in State v. #jodiarias are 9/16/2014 at 10:30 and 9/22/2014 at 10:45.

I don't believe they can rehash a whole lot. It'd probably be something to throw at AzLawyer, but I understand the verdicts from the previous 2 phases are probably about all the jury is going to get from the previous trial........I think the time allotted is because CMJA has "witnesses" this time around......and maybe more of the Alexander family will be making statements?

Sadly, this isn't accurate. The new jury will be given a summary of all the evidence and testimony from all previous phases. How they will get that summary is still a mystery. I think AZLawyer said elsewhere that this summation alone may take 2 weeks. By witnesses? Stipulation? Dunno......

The summary is essential. No, this is not a retrial of the whole shebang, BUT:

1. The law allows jurors to find mitigation in ANY evidence/testimony from ANY phase of the trial. They have to have access to all of it to weigh mitigation.

2. Mitigation also can be found in the "circumstances of the crime" as well as CMJA's "character" and " propensities." Ditto needing access to it all.

Sadly, this isn't accurate. The new jury will be given a summary of all the evidence and testimony from all previous phases. How they will get that summary is still a mystery. I think AZLawyer said elsewhere that this summation alone may take 2 weeks. By witnesses? Stipulation? Dunno......

The summary is essential. No, this is not a retrial of the whole shebang, BUT:

1. The law allows jurors to find mitigation in ANY evidence/testimony from ANY phase of the trial. They have to have access to all of it to weigh mitigation.

2. Mitigation also can be found in the "circumstances of the crime" as well as CMJA's "character" and " propensities." Ditto needing access to it all.

Thanks, H4M!
sherlock-smiley.gif

Delving back into this case has already got my head aching.

The new jury is allowed to consider any evidence from the first trial that's relevant to mitigation or to whether the mitigation is sufficient to balance out the aggravating circumstance. A lot of the evidence from the first trial would be relevant to those issues, so it will have to be "rehashed" to some extent.

I can't believe we are so close. I have a horrible feeling though that it won't go to plan on sept 29...

I have totally been neglecting you all,busy month here

The new jury is allowed to consider any evidence from the first trial that's relevant to mitigation or to whether the mitigation is sufficient to balance out the aggravating circumstance. A lot of the evidence from the first trial would be relevant to those issues, so it will have to be "rehashed" to some extent.

Does this mean Jodi could take the stand again? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member