DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Jeff Gold:

Jeffrey Evan Gold @jeffgoldesq · 11s 11 seconds ago

"@SKrafftFox10:

#JodiArias judge tells defense they can either let their mystery witness testify in public, or call witnesses out of turn."

Here's another choice: "The defense rests."

Shouldn't JSS tell Nurmi when SHE expects the trial to end instead him telling her when he will end it.

Hi Rose :loveyou:. For over two years now, and against my better judgment and great restraint , I have refused to even entertain the idea that Judge Stephens might give her LWP.

But after the many, many weak justifications I afforded Judge Stephens during the guilt phase of the trial, coupled with this latest legal debacle and the obvious part the Judge has played in it, I have no choice but to reach the obvious conclusion that there is a persistent pattern on the part of JSS to be inexplicably weak with the DT. So yeah, imo there is real possibility she could give LWP. Which is so very disappointing for me.

I don't think Stephens is weak with the defense because she favors them. Although I do tend to think based on her off the cuff remarks and her body language to Juan that Juan is not her cup of tea in how he presents his cases. I think Stephens is overcompensating and being wishy washy because she doesn't want her decisions to be overturned on appeal. She really only needs to worry about decisions that would actually overturn Jodi's conviction. And so far I don't think she's made one that would hold any water with the appeals court.

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 1m 1 minute ago

Not only did Nurmi blame the media he blamed Juan for not letting #JodiArias get a fair trial #3tvarias

he really should re-think his career as a lawyer and try stand up comedy

BBM: :hilarious:

And yes, Nurmi should really re-think his career after that comment that HE and Willmott would be scrutinized as defense attorneys :doh:

:seeya: Hi Josie !

Maybe Jodi wants one more shot at the blue ribbon in Sheriff Joe's Christmas Talent Show so she asked Nurmi to stall til January

Like I said yesterday, the plan is to go however long it takes to get five more jurors to bail. And then we start over.

I think his end of January is an outset date.. not rational date. It depends on a lot of things..

Sounds like it started in open court and then reverted to sidebars. Again, what is the basis for a sidebar about something like this, right after you basically get slapped down for insisting on secret proceedings? And delaying the trial for over a week with no reason. I guess we'll hear the spin tomorrow when she has to address the jury and you know Nurmi will be insisting that she in no way indicate the DT is to blame-even though they ARE. And no one in the public or media would even know if she were lying or stretching the truth since it was all decided in secret.

Honestly, if I were the news media in AZ I'd be back at the Ct challenging a lot of her orders regarding media access and sealed proceedings. I think this case calls out for a "special" proceeding in the higher court to get this trial on track, open the courtroom doors and ensure all is conducted in public unless there is an appropriate basis for a sidebar. Alas, there is no such proceeding but that is what ths case is crying out for, not the secret trial Nurmi thinks it's calling out for. It's like the DT lives in "opposite world".

I was just reading about the original media restriction and even that order refrenced secret proceedings. So, the media wants access and the Judge says no based on "reasons addressed in previous sealed proceedings". If there is such a compelling reason to limit trial coverage I would think it essential for the reasoning to be released so the public knows why it is not permitted to watch the justice system it pays for in action. I also think it's setting up an appeal issue. If, as I assume, the reason was proffered by the DT and probably consisted of anti-Jodi sentiment linked to televising the trial which means there is no video coverage allowed now because the public found her and her crime to be so reprehensible. Constitutionally, I say "so what"? There is no evidence that televising a trial impedes fairness. Most jurisdictions allow some televising. But since JS now limited it, during the sentencing phase, doesn't the DT get an argument that, see JS conceeded televising was prejudicial to the administration of justice and thus wouldn't allow it during the sentencing re-trial so imagine how much more prejudicial and unfair it was to the defendant during the guilt phase? We deserve a re-trial conducted on a deserted island.

Code:
Judge Stephen released a ruling stating that video will only be allowed after the verdict, reports KTAR News.

"The Court is mindful of its obligation to allow public and media access to the trial. That access should not include live broadcast of the trial prior to a verdict for the reasons addressed in previous sealed proceedings," reads court documents from the ruling.
http://www.latinpost.com/articles/2...y-scared-heading-into-death-penalty-trial.htm
BBM - When she first made that ruling, the first thing I thought was that she just handed the defense an appeal issue on a silver platter because she reversed herself and disallowed the televising of the sentencing phase retrial.

It's becoming very obvious to me what Nurmi's strategy is here. Muddy the waters, be as disruptive as possible, delay stacked onto delay..................what does that equal ? Everybody eventually just gives up and Jodi is sentenced to Life in prison. Death Penalty is gone.

My very own tweet on this:

There really needs to be some sanctions coming down in #jodiarias trial. This is beyond the scope of a fair trial. It's a tantrum from DT.

Wouldn't it be nice to hear JSS say: "Mr Nurmi, if you refuse to proceed you can stay in jail for contempt without pay until you are ready to call your next witness. Bailiff, please remove Mr Nurmi. Ms Wilmott, it's your turn. Are you going to call a witness or are you going to join Mr Nurmi?"

I mentioned in another post that I'm typically not pro-death penalty unless the crime fits the justification. Manson murders, Arias both fit for me.

However, if it meant Travis' family being able to move on sooner, I would have been for a deal to avoid this phase, giving her life without parole.

Now, I am terrified of Arias getting life because I wouldn't put it past this judge to give her life with the possibility of parole... which would be an utter disaster.

I mostly don't think she would give her a shot at parole but I'm sad to say I'm not 100% that she wouldn't. And the fact I can't be 100% says a lot about what I think of Judge Stephens. The good news is that even if Stephens gives her a chance at parole there isn't a parole board alive who would give it to her. But it would be a travesty for Travis's family to have to attend any parole board meeting and relive this all over again.

I'm sure that all of the judge bashing on twitter is just fueling Nurmi. The media and social media is a double edged sword and he is definitely eating it up. :twocents:

Wouldn't it be nice to hear JSS say: "Mr Nurmi, if you refuse to proceed you can stay in jail for contempt without pay until you are ready to call your next witness. Bailiff, please remove Mr Nurmi. Ms Wilmott, it's your turn. Are you going to call a witness or are you going to join Mr Nurmi?"

We have a better chance of winning the lottery---5 times!

Maybe Jodi wants one more shot at the blue ribbon in Sheriff Joe's Christmas Talent Show so she asked Nurmi to stall til January
Well, now that she's a convicted first-degree murderer housed in closed custody (with the worst of the worst in other words), no more singin' contests for her! :happydance:

To me this is not one of those times you say that. Now that he can not have his super secret witness he gets time to regroup. I don't have an issue with that. Now if by monday there is still no plan and activity, then yes..

I actually think that it not being televised this time is creating more shenanigans than before.

It's becoming very obvious to me what Nurmi's strategy is here. Muddy the waters, be as disruptive as possible, delay stacked onto delay..................what does that equal ?

Everybody eventually just gives up and Jodi is sentenced to Life in prison.

Death Penalty is gone.

:seeya: I agree, except for the BBM:

I truly believe that JSS will NOT sentence CMJA to LWOP ... she does NOT have the guts to sentence her appropriately !

:moo:

Shouldn't JSS tell Nurmi when SHE expects the trial to end instead him telling her when he will end it.

No you would think. But this is a sentencing trial where a life is on the line. The defense will get as much or as little time they need to present their case.

But yes in other cases a time limit is often set for the sides. In the cases I had in federal court we were often given so many hours to present or defend our case. And no joke a stop watch had to be brought in by our team to keep track of how much time was spent doing cross and direct.

She can file appeals til the sun goes down but with the way JSS has run the case there will be no grounds. That matters to me a lot.

Making sure people get their Constitutional rights met is not coddling.

I don't agree.. I am grateful that she has taken many appeal issues away from JA.

What about the first amendment and the public and medias right to a public trial? Are those not constitutional rights?

To me this is not one of those times you say that. Now that he can not have his super secret witness he gets time to regroup. I don't have an issue with that. Now if by monday there is still no plan and activity, then yes..

I actually think that it not being televised this time is creating more shenanigans than before.

I agree it is causing more drama but only because the defense is acting like toddler who is testing the boundaries to see just what they can get away with. Unfortunately Stephens has indulged the defense a little too much in some regards so now all hell is breaking loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne