Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 12/09-11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I understand your concern. I don't know if computers in AZ know that they are not supposed to change. Most computers in any time zone will change for DST. You have an excellent question.

The last few times I've purchased a computer, "Arizona time" was a separate choice when setting up the time zone. Before that (maybe 2008, maybe earlier--and I can't remember what operating systems I was using when) I would have to set it on MST and then uncheck the box for Daylight Savings Time. So people who didn't uncheck the box would have had their computer on the wrong time for part of the year.

AZL and any of the other lawyers here, would you please explain the review process the AZ Supreme Court uses to determine whether or not they will hear a case?

I just don't understand the judge in all of this. Nurmi mentioned something in court the other day that he is waiting for the COA appeal and that he may bring the issue to the Supreme Court. I look at this as a complete stall and challenge tactic on his part to JSS. We never heard of a response from her on this, but it would seem that the chances of the Supreme Court reviewing the COA issue is slim to none. So why didn't she just make it clear that the case will proceed? She certainly could have done this, putting him on notice that if he and his client do not wish to proceed, then the State will present its case, followed by closing arguments, jury instructions and a verdict.

Even if she is being overly cautious about appeal issues, if she goes on record with something to this effect, then choice is on the defendant. Can she further protect the court from appeal issues by speaking directly to the defendant?

Based on that above exchange that I had not read in full until now it appears that Jodi DID do some pretty serious things to prompt Travis to go off on her like that. I am now convinced his reference to invading his privacy was also a reference to her recording their sex phone conversations. I think there are other things she did to Travis that may not yet be known. And I'm glad the entirety of the conversation is being shown to this jury it shows that Travis WAS addicted to the type of sex Jodi provided and Jodi knew it. It's also important to note that the only thing Jodi denies doing is slashing his tires (which get real we all know she did). She doesn't even try to deny stealing his journals or hacking into his email.

That's exactly what I was thinking just now!

But he also told the friend/family of friend during a Sunday dinner that if he didn't show up one Sunday it was because he was dead....or words to that effect. IMO Travis knew after that drawn out argument with JA that she was capable of killing him and was going to stick to his staying pissed at her without taking her back.

In other words, I don't believe (and never have) that he knew she was coming there that night and that he was waiting up for her.

MOO
BBM ~

Absolutely no way. She was going there on a mission. With all the trouble she went through to hide the fact that she was anywhere near Arizona, there's no way she would take the chance that Travis might tell someone she was coming!!!
Jodi Einstein is too smart for that.

Thanks to everyone for helping us understand a lot about these "ills".

I do have a question I have been wondering about.
Do people like Jodi (perhaps a bonafide sociopath?) hold grudges longer than normal people?

She had practically a week to come to her senses and realize it is a stupid idea to take her revenge out on Travis because she would probably get caught. But that week of time never fazed her, when most people would probably realize its a stupid idea to murder someone. But she held onto her grudge, and if anything, her rage got worse over time. So I wonder if holding grudges is a "trait" of people like Jodi?

Another case was similar with the NASA lady who drove non-stop for many hours with diapers to confront and try to kill the lady person in the love triangle. She also had ample time to come to her senses and if anything her rage got worse over time, so she held onto her grudge for a long time.
She too had been planning revenge for a long time it seems even before she traveled.

She spent pretty much a whole day with him. She slept next to him. She was intimate with him. She could have changed her mind even when he was in the shower but she didn't. She deliberately and cold-heartedly took pictures of him including the one where he seems to have realized that his life was in danger. It is incomprehensible to me that she actually went through with it. She probably did better than she had planned given that she almost decapitated him and then showered next to his body. Puzzling and frightening...

AZL and any of the other lawyers here, would you please explain the review process the AZ Supreme Court uses to determine whether or not they will hear a case?

I just don't understand the judge in all of this. Nurmi mentioned something in court the other day that he is waiting for the COA appeal and that he may bring the issue to the Supreme Court. I look at this as a complete stall and challenge tactic on his part to JSS. We never heard of a response from her on this, but it would seem that the chances of the Supreme Court reviewing the COA issue is slim to none. So why didn't she just make it clear that the case will proceed? She certainly could have done this, putting him on notice that if he and his client do not wish to proceed, then the State will present its case, followed by closing arguments, jury instructions and a verdict.

Even if she is being overly cautious about appeal issues, if she goes on record with something to this effect, then choice is on the defendant. Can she further protect the court from appeal issues by speaking directly to the defendant?

The review process is very subjective. Basically the court hears the case if they feel like it. :) Factors considered include whether the Ct App's ruling is correct, whether the Ct App's ruling is published, whether there is plenty of law on the subject already, whether different 3-judge panels of the Ct App have issued conflicting decisions, whether the issue is likely to keep coming up, etc. etc.

No, JSS can't protect the case from appeal issues by talking to JA directly about this. But I don't know if she agreed to the delay due to Nurmi's appeal threat. It seems like she said she would NOT delay for an appeal, then there was a sidebar. So who knows what secret reason she might have for the delay.

Very powerful. Thanks g-charles.
I have a hard time believing that TA let JA into the house that night.
How could he have, with such anger and frustration?
Wouldn't JA have been the last person he would have wanted to see?

But she had that payment check for the BMW that TA sold her...........of course it would have bounced. (her account balances had been shown during the trial and she made mention of getting the check back when interviewed by Flores)

I agree. They kissed and made up, he was made to feel like he'd overreacted, decided to part on good terms and they had one last roll in the hay. I think Travis was still done with her that day realizing she was just toxic and unstable, but decided to harbor no ill feelings toward her and maybe even felt sorry for her and succumbed, as he did, to her carefully crafted seduction. He was just too nice to cut her off completely from his life and he was addicted to the sex. And she knew it. She was highly aware of what she could get away with.

This exactly. Exactly. I will never believe that Travis knew what was barreling down the highway towards him that night. A woman so filled with rage she had little to no sleep and went to great lengths to make sure no one knew she was in AZ.

Reposting from previous thread for janx :)
---

Just read JA's letter to her 'VIP supporters', it seems like in a nutshell the only people she trusts are those who send her money, everyone else gets bashed. It's *all* about the money. My only question is, what will these supporters get in return - ever? She is very big on taking - their heartfelt support, money, kind words, donations, books, cash, whatever, but does she give anything in return except softsoap so they'll continue to keep her in candybars and funds labelled for appeal? Teeny tiny-script postcards full of the subcontext of 'Just send me dough? I'm embarrassed that fellow human beings support her in any fashion, how gullible can people be? I still find it hard to fathom that she can run this mini-empire from behind bars, there really should be a law against it.
---

"if" there were laws against the sham - Jodi and her DT would surely find ways to delay and get around them all until all of her supporters are financially exhausted - most likely stalling well past any one of us will live. Look at how long this has been drawn out ... and lets not forget - she was already convicted - this is supposed to be the penalty phase ...
And the beat goes on.

Is there an easy way to enlarge the text of the letter? Zooming in does nothing when I try it....

You can do what I did--just download the pages and then bring them up on your computer and zoom in to read. Hope this helps.

I went back and reviewed all of the time the jury was present in the courtroom. I took off 30 min each day for 2 breaks of 15 min ea daily - allowing time to leave & enter on 10 min breaks. Here is what I came up with:

Trial Days – Jodi Arias Retrial – Jurors present
10/21/14 9:30 – 12:15 & 1:45 - 4:30 (4 hrs)
10/22/14 9:45 – 12 & 1:30 – 4:30 (4:45h)
10/23/14 10 – 12 & 1:30 jury sent home (1:45h)
10/27/14 9:45 – 11:50 & 1:30 – 4:15 (4:15h)
10/28/14 9:30 – 12:05 & 1:30 – 4:00 (4:30h)
10/30/14 9:30 – 12:00 & 1:00 – 4:30 Pm witness secret (3pm doors locked) (5:30h)
11/3/14 1:30 – 3:30 (guessing since courtroom closed) (2h)
11/12/14 9:50 – 12:00 & 1:30 – 4:30 (4:45h)
11/13/14 10:15 – 11:50 & 1:00 – 4:00 (4h)
11/17/14 9:45 – 11:50 & 1:30 – 2:50 Emergent situation closed court end of day (3h)
11/24/14 10:00 – 12:00 & 1:30 – 4:30 (4:30h)
11/25/14 10:00 – 12:05 & 1:30 – 3:45 (3:45h)
12/2/14 9:45 – 12:00 & 1:30 – 4:15 (4:30h)

Jurors present 51:15 hrs in 8 weeks of trial to date

ETA: There were 10 more possible days of trial which could have added another 55 hours of jurors being able to hear testimony.

Thanks So Much, if it wasn't so sad, it would be amusing. Poor Jurors!

I would love to see what the Taxpayers were billed for that 8 weeks.

Yes, I understand. I thought I was helping lol. It doesn't matter what time of year it is in AZ, if a non-Navajo Nation computer is using a network time server to keep time and it is set to MDT it's time is incorrect.

:floorlaugh: ....or Hopi and Zuni Reservation!

Ok, this is the deal: We Arizonan's just don't believe resetting our clocks forwards or backwards gives us more or less daylight. We tried it for 1 year and it bombed. Miserably.
Maybe it takes some kind of "magical thinking" but I still don't "get it".:thinking:

For those who are struggling with reading Jodi's letter - someone kindly typed it up and posted that in the sidebar.

Ok, this is the deal: We Arizonan's just don't believe resetting our clocks forwards or backwards gives us more or less daylight. We tried it for 1 year and it bombed. Miserably.
Maybe it takes some kind of "magical thinking" but I still don't "get it".:thinking:

I dont like the time changes either. It seems all the hoopla and confusion every fall and spring is just not worth it.

I seem to recall a reason given for why the US started to do it was a "safety reason" for the kids waiting on school buses in the morning in the fall. That is what I recall as the excuse I always heard for the reason but since the days are so short in fall anyway I just dont see it being very beneficial at all.

JMO...Unless someone can slow the rotation of the Earth down and speed it up on demand, we ought to let things be. :)

The last few times I've purchased a computer, "Arizona time" was a separate choice when setting up the time zone. Before that (maybe 2008, maybe earlier--and I can't remember what operating systems I was using when) I would have to set it on MST and then uncheck the box for Daylight Savings Time. So people who didn't uncheck the box would have had their computer on the wrong time for part of the year.

Cool! If I had my way, we'd all just get up with the sun and go to bed after the sun retires. DST is a drag.

Now I understand your concern. I don't know if computers in AZ know that they are not supposed to change. Most computers in any time zone will change for DST. You have an excellent question.

Your computer WILL show Arizona as a separate choice when you set the time. Hence this box:
DLS.png

It's been that way on every computer I've owned since 2000, and as I recall, on the computers at work from 1991+.

This exactly. Exactly. I will never believe that Travis knew what was barreling down the highway towards him that night. A woman so filled with rage she had little to no sleep and went to great lengths to make sure no one knew she was in AZ.

Agreed! No way he knew she was coming. But she knew exactly what she needed to do to manipulate her way inside. She probably wasn't even worried about that part. Travis would never turn her out. She used his kindness against him, time and time again.

Cool! If I had my way, we'd all just get up with the sun and go to bed after the sun retires. DST is a drag.

I love that idea. Here is another very helpful hint that I invented (lol) that works for me....

In the fall, when you are supposed to turn your clocks back on a Saturday night before you go to bed.
Dont do it that Saturday night. And dont do it when you first get up Sunday morning. Just go about your normal routine Sunday and whenever you feel you would like to get another "free hour" to the day, then just turn your clocks back at that time. LOL :)

It works wonders and makes you feel like you really got a free hour to do more on that day. It comes in handy. This past fall, I think I finally turned my clock back somewhere around 4 PM Sunday when the day was nearing its end. It felt great to get that hour back. LOL :)

It's pretty antiquated. I personally think we should all go the way of AZ and do away with it all together. It was maybe relevant in a time when most people worked outside and didnt have electricity. But this is 2014 lol. What are we doing?

But she had that payment check for the BMW that TA sold her...........of course it would have bounced. (her account balances had been shown during the trial and she made mention of getting the check back when interviewed by Flores)

You mean the one that was found in the office? Wasn't the office downstairs and wasn't there testimony to the effect that TA had been up all night for some reason and after the call at 12:30pm or thereabouts was believed to have had a nap before he had to be up for something else later that day/evening(was it a church thing?)?

Imo, JA got there early, parked down the street, did her ninja thing into the garage or perhaps the doggy door and spent most of the day either in the garage where she reportedly still had some boxes of her stuff(household stuff from when she lived with DB, knives and books and such iirc) and then once TA had gone for his nap spent some time messing with the pc, perhaps saving pics she wanted to keep, mailing herself copies of documents, deleting stuff that might incriminate her, watched a couple of videos, activated some *advertiser censored* site viruses/cookies, stole the cash for his trip... left a new check(probably grabbed the bounced one), etc.

Once she heard TA get up and start the shower, it was a matter of moments before she could have got up into his bedroom(if she hadn't already been hiding in his closet by then), grabbed his brand new camera and starting taking her zoomed in night sight pics of him in the shower(like she had in the past of DB). He saw the flash, reacted and quickly sat down to cover himself as she came closer to take the face shot and then he may have pushed the door open to try and grab the camera but JA was ready.... I still believe all the pics except the shower ones are from another time because I just can't believe after all the words between them less than a week before, that TA would let her back into his life knowingly, let alone willingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member