Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/10 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For fun during the break, here's a short video for fans of the lovely Dr. DM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCveq7OwXxY

I found this video extremely offensive. It runs with an overtly sexual rock song tagging Dr. Demarte as "irresistible", features her attractiveness and not her brains, zooms in on specific body parts (e.g. a flash of thigh and a tightish blouse), and sexualizes her gestures. The offensiveness is enhanced by using slow-motion on moments that would otherwise be barely noticeable and by the way the court video is cut.

Dr. Demarte should be praised for her qualities as a brilliant young woman and an expert in her field. Highlighting her appearance is extremely demeaning and disrespectful (not to mention extraordinarily sexist), much like cat-calling a woman who is out there sharing her prodigious brains in the name of justice.

:seeya: I totally agree with you, katydid !

I am surprised, however, that Nurmi has not screamed for a mistrial on this when it happened because no doubt, the defense and their minions monitor social media. JMO but this dismissed juror wanted her "15 minutes" ... MOO !

Now, as to yesterday, I think something big time happened, but of course, it could be another attempt by the defense to get a mistrial as they are "sneaky" and "conniving" !

But JSS called in each juror to speak with them individually ... then nothing ... no news, no updates, nada, zippo !

So what REALLY happened, or is it a dt tactic ?

:gaah:

I think it had to do with a question. There were three left for Jodi to answer when she re took the stand, but she didn't, or at least hasn't yet, and one of them wants to know why? Could Jodi of been answering them one by one? To weed someone out?

lol....the reason the case is even before the Supremes is because of Sherry!! That pesky constitution she chose to ignore....

Not only that, but there is no oral argument, so NO reason for Nurmi et al not to be in court today.

I found this video extremely offensive. It runs with an overtly sexual rock song tagging Dr. Demarte as "irresistible", features her attractiveness and not her brains, zooms in on specific body parts (e.g. a flash of thigh and a tightish blouse), and sexualizes her gestures. The offensiveness is enhanced by using slow-motion on moments that would otherwise be barely noticeable and by the way the court video is cut.

Dr. Demarte should be praised for her qualities as a brilliant young woman and an expert in her field. Highlighting her appearance is extremely demeaning and disrespectful (not to mention extraordinarily sexist), much like cat-calling a woman who is out there sharing her prodigious brains in the name of justice.

Oh, oh... I missed the thigh!

What happened to my keen powers of observation?

(Guess I'll have to go back and watch it several more times to see what else I missed.)

ETA: http://youtu.be/WCveq7OwXxY?t=1m9s

I think she's stating her name in super-slow motion, and she was probably just settling into the witness chair.

Unlike JA, I don't think it was an attempt to leverage what her mama gave her, or what a cosmetic surgeon implanted semi-symmetrically.

I read in the comments on the State vs. Jodi FB page that there is NOT a psychologist on the jury. They are saying that someone on the jury has a MOTHER that is a psychologist but not the person on the jury. Not sure what to think in this trial by tweet.
Also can you picture this trial being gone over in years to come? It's probably one of the first "trial by twitter" and it definitely is trying to be the longest trial ever, and it definitely JMHO has the WORST lawyers ever and the worst defendant ever. And it's one of the first trials I have witnessed that has allowed SO much trashing of the dead victim it is disrespectful and disgusting. A lot of "firsts" in this trial. First trial to ignore the constitution. I am sure there are more.

Why is it the second there is any delay in the trial there is a jump on the bandwagon, gang up to bash JSS mentality???? She got blamed for the Christmas holidays and the Super Bowl. This delay is because the DT had to go before the Supreme Court for their appeal. Nothing to do with how JSS runs her courtroom!

You're wrong about today. Nurmi and the defense are NOT infront of the Supreme Court today. There are no oral arguments, the Supreme Court is reviewing the case on their own, without counsel.

I'm not proud of our nation's use of the death penalty but I think a lot of citizens are for it only because there is often not an acceptable alternative. We still have many states where Life doesn't mean life and even in the states where it does, those laws can be and often are changed. Time after time violent offenders that we thought were locked up forever are let out into society, some after festering for a dozen or more years behind bars. Just imagine your loved one falling victim to a monster that your community thought had been put away for good, and when you check into how that came to pass you are told it was due to prison overcrowding!

While I do not usually like imposing the death penalty except in extreme cases (such as terrorists who kill or plot to kill many, or monsters who prey on children) I would like to see it handed down for Arias, mostly because the alternatives leave open the possibility (albeit remote) of her being freed someday. And if that happens, she will kill again--I do not doubt that for a minute.

BBM

Do hogs wallow?

OMG! Didn't know this. So Jodi actually did make some money off PPL, just not her own?? That's not how a pyramid scheme works.

I remember her saying she gave her clients to TA. Wish I could find it. So she was covering her basis. Evil

OMG! Didn't know this. So Jodi actually did make some money off PPL, just not her own?? That's not how a pyramid scheme works.

Juan fought to get in banking information during the trial but it was ruled too prejudicial. She hacked into his accounts. She illegally recorded him. She broke into his house. No one can prove she slit the tires, but most believe she did. She stole his diamond ring and his journals. If Juan could have brought to the jurors all the things she did that would have resulted in a criminal record then they would not have been able to present her as a law abiding citizen. Too bad they did not file all the charges against her before the murder trial. They probably could not.

Our Justice System needs an overhaul!

Lulu believes JA was physically, emotionally, and sexually abused by Travis, that ALV is more credible than DM, and that JM isn't very intelligent.

Hope thinks Lulu's opinions are a tad bit skewed. Even the hung jurors of yore didn't believe the physical abuse lies. As for JM not being intelligent...words fail.

Well. Okay then. Let's lock these two wackos in the same cell.
Martinez not intelligent? :floorlaugh:

You're wrong about today. Nurmi and the defense are NOT infront of the Supreme Court today. There are no oral arguments, the Supreme Court is reviewing the case on their own, without counsel.

Linas may have a point. There will be no arguments. But I bet Nurmi asked JSS to close court today so he could await the SC ruling. He didn't want to face his scowling client when she hears the SC turned the defense down. IMO.

Btw, supreme court hearing was at 2 PM AZ time. That's now. Anyone hear anything, please Post.

Does anyone know when we will hear something from the AZ Supreme Court?

Yes, and some even photograph the evidence.

I'm envisioning porcine hooves inadvertently kicking a camera, and an oh-so-smart image-deleting piggy heading toward a washing machine with a camera strap in her mouth.

I lost all respect for ALV when she came at JM with "are you mad at me?" in that small sentence she showed no professionalism period!

That was so weird! It was kind of funny, but I was laughing *at* her. She was being so overtly maddening—trying to evade and maneuver around the obvious answers, which would have been "yes" or "no" if she'd been honest at all. It was a big manipulative fail, too, because she thought she would make Juan look bad since he was yelling at her. What a fruit loop. So glad she's not back (not that Geff and Dr. M-F are much better!)

For any who might be concerned about LWP vs LWOP:

County Attorney Praises Passage of “Life Means Life” Law

PHOENIX, AZ (July 30, 2012) – Convicted murderers will now be required to serve longer prison sentences for certain first and second degree murder convictions thanks to changes to state sentencing statutes enacted in Arizona’s last legislative session. HB 2373, also known as “Life Means Life,” increases the maximum sentence for second degree murder and eliminates the possibility of early release for those convicted of premeditated first degree murder or first degree murder of a law enforcement officer. Supporters of the bill attended a ceremonial signing by Governor Janice K. Brewer at the State Capitol this morning.

“Victims of crime in Arizona have a constitutional right to a final conclusion of a case after a sentence. Permitting a convicted first degree premeditated murderer to seek release even after 25 years betrays the guarantee of finality,” remarked Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery, who attended today’s signing ceremony. “These changes to our sentencing laws will go a long way toward honoring the rights of victims of crime and safeguarding society from those who commit the worst of crimes.”

Sponsored by Representative Eddie Farnsworth (R – District 22), who chairs the House Judiciary Committee, HB 2373 increases the maximum sentence for second degree murder and from 22 to 25 calendar years and from 25 to 29 calendar years if aggravating circumstances are proven. The legislation also mandates a sentence of death or natural life for adults convicted of first degree premeditated murder or first degree murder of a police officer, thereby eliminating the possibility of release from confinement.

http://www.maricopacountyattorney.o...y-Praises-Passage-of-Life-Means-Life-Law.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela