Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/10 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the problem is what she is saying. She is making it sound like the jurors DISCUSSED the testimony of JA. And that would be a big NO NO--possibly resulting in a mistrial.

I suppose the jurors DID find it strange to return after lunch and the whole courtroom, usually filled or nearly filled, was suddenly empty. I would think I'd be looking around at the other jurors with a look on my face that showed I was wondering, "Where did everyone go while we were out to lunch?" I would think all the jurors were thinking, What happened?

Laws can be changed, overturned, interpreted and re-interpreted by activist jurists.

'Life' is full of non-guarantees.

The law "Life is Life" is clear that there will be no re-interpretation. It requires no early release from "natural life" imprisonment for convicts like JA. The law removes any ambiguity about what she can expect:

“Life Means Life,” increases the maximum sentence for second degree murder and eliminates the possibility of early release for those convicted of premeditated first degree murder or first degree murder of a law enforcement officer. Supporters of the bill attended a ceremonial signing by Governor Janice K. Brewer at the State Capitol this morning.

“Victims of crime in Arizona have a constitutional right to a final conclusion of a case after a sentence. Permitting a convicted first degree premeditated murderer to seek release even after 25 years betrays the guarantee of finality,” remarked Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery, who attended today’s signing ceremony. “These changes to our sentencing laws will go a long way toward honoring the rights of victims of crime and safeguarding society from those who commit the worst of crimes.”

Sponsored by Representative Eddie Farnsworth (R – District 22), who chairs the House Judiciary Committee, HB 2373 increases the maximum sentence for second degree murder and from 22 to 25 calendar years and from 25 to 29 calendar years if aggravating circumstances are proven. The legislation also mandates a sentence of death or natural life for adults convicted of first degree premeditated murder or first degree murder of a police officer, thereby eliminating the possibility of release from confinement.

I find LuLu's post rather interesting particularly her choice of words. 'Jody and Travis : The Perfect Storm.' Weren't those very words used this morning in a post?

I found her to be a lot like ALV and stilted/stagnated in her views. She has let her personal experience with her ex-husband cloud her judgment. She comes across as having the same 'hater of all men' attitude that I saw ALV present in court.

She seems to be the type of woman I have seen from time to time over the years who cannot let go of the past and brings the baggage forward with her when deciphering anything to do with another male and another woman who is 'claiming' abuse. Sadly, some women will just believe another woman if they just claim abuse..... especially if they too were abused by another male in their lifetime. They will believe it even though the evidence shows otherwise and doesn't support it.

QUOTE SNIPPED FOR SPACE

Hi there,

It definitely seems that her personal experience has had a profound effect on how she views this case. Abuse does change women. And to some extent, I think many of us take our own life experiences, whatever they may be, and apply them to the cases we discuss. I know Lulu from some other cases and she's not an insensitive person, although I understand how her insinuation of Jodi suffering abuse would upset people. I don't agree with her views on that. These topics are ultra-sensitive and understandably, people are passionate about them. But I also believe we can discuss them from different sides of the fence as long as the commentary remains respectful.

I just posted my response to her on my blog and figured I'd share it here. There may be a few things in my post that people don't agree with, and then again, some will. Jodi is the worst of humanity, basically a violent animal that should never see the light of day. I can't state it any simpler than that. But I also think it's ok to look at the entire situation surrounding this case including Travis, religion, pyramid schemes, family issues, etc etc... for the purpose of learning. What happened with both of them was pretty messed up and perhaps there's a cautionary tale there. To some extent, I do agree that what happened in Mesa was the perfect storm. Here is my response so you can understand what I mean:

I appreciate your thoughts. They’re not the popular ones out in the public, but I appreciate you being brave enough to say them. There are some items I agree with and some I don’t. I do believe that Travis had some issues of his own that were not resolved. I think it goes a little beyond him just being a single guy who was a player. The bigger issue was that he was living a lie – preaching to groups of people and pretending to be living a Mormon life and he wasn’t. Nobody’s perfect, hey, we all do things we know we shouldn’t. But there’s a difference when you are preaching to a group of people and expecting them to live a life that you are lying about.

With that said – I do not believe that he abused her at all. He was pretty darn clear that he wasn’t going to marry her and she kept pursuing him. She wanted sex with him so bad whichever way she could get it. He didn’t make her do anything she didn’t want to. She even moved to AZ after they broke up even though he told her not to. His mistake was that he continued to sleep with her. You wave sex in front of a single man and most of them are going to take it. So I get that and cut some slack. But when he found out she was hacking his accounts, stalking him & his girlfriends, slashing tires, etc… he was crazy to continue to sleep with her. That’s just simply unexplainable, and seems to show his deeper seeded issues.

At the end of the day – Jodi is one insane, evil, beyond-repair criminal. I have no sympathy for her. Whatever she gets, she deserves. Was Travis responsible for his death? No, absolutely not. Did Travis make some very unfortunate, foolish mistakes that played a part in the grand scheme of what happened to him? Yes. Let me be clear. That does not mean he caused his death. I just wish he made different choices. We can learn from this.

The thing that's hard about discussing this case with many people is that emotions are exceptionally high and people tend to be radically on either side of the fence. Myself, and Nick, believe that you can have a civil conversation about all of it without being a supporter, hater, troll.. and whatever else some may call you. I have been called a hater and a supporter online, which is outlandish. Nothing could be further from the truth. Interrogating people and the decisions they make is important in life. It helps us to understand humanity and be better people. Again, thanks for being honest and brave about how you feel. I disagree about LaViolette and about the abuse, but respect that you have a different opinion. Chat soon.

I suppose the jurors DID find it strange to return after lunch and the whole courtroom, usually filled or nearly filled, was suddenly empty. I would think I'd be looking around at the other jurors with a look on my face that showed I was wondering, "Where did everyone go while we were out to lunch?" I would think all the jurors were thinking, What happened?

ABSOLUTELY. And hopefully that is exactly what each juror said in chambers. We were shocked, surprised, looked at each other for a second, then the explanation came from the Judge and we sat and listened to the testimony. No harm, no foul.

What about the lights?
On Day 32 when Demartes testified she stated;

“One incident references that Travis Alexander was upstairs in his house with Lisa Andrews. The lights suddenly went out,” DeMarte explains. “Travis went downstairs to investigate and he turned the circuit breakers back on. He did not admit until later to Lisa that he discovered Arias downstairs.

Willmott has been handling the computer stuff so far, hasn't she? If she is out for any type of emergency I would assume that means Smith will not be testifying. I do think, even if she is there, Nurmi will whine and complain about notice, time to prepare, reports, etc. I would be willing to bet there is no court the rest of the week.

It's been so long I forgot who was doing the computer stuff. I thought KN was the one arguing to keep Smith out. If JW has been handling that, then I bet you're right and they end up blowing off the next two days as well.

FWIW.....Before it becomes conventional wisdom that JA diverted some of Travis' PPL sign ups into her own account. I've not only not heard of that, anywhere, but I also flat out don't believe it.

Not because she wouldn't be capable of it, but because there's zero reference to this in his journal, by his friends, or in the blow-up text on May 26.

Travis was meticulous with his business record keeping. He wouldn't have missed her stealing his sign ups, and he wouldn't have looked the other way.

Last, JA went to PPL meetings and conferences because that was fun. Other than that there is very little evidence she even pretended very hard she was actually trying to sell the product. Her mind just wasn't on PPL.

There was talk about it. If you look at the minutes it was sealed by defense but they allowed JA to bring in about her deverting her clients to TA to help him. I was outraged about it but that has been going on all thru this trial. Just look at the minutes and see how many exhib. have been sealed. ALL BY THE DEFENSE. TA's bank records are one of those. Too predjudical. I say BS

I'd be thinking, who do this Jodi Arias think she is? Someone special? Everyone kicked out of the room. I can't believe they took this all the way up. I guess Nurmi forgot his Constitution of the United States handbook.
Throwing the public out didn't work out so well for him.

I
It is still an issue if this juror says that she and another juror discussed the secret testimony. She seemed to imply it was a possibility when she said ' WE WONDERED what was happening.' If she and another juror said anything about the testimony, it would be a problem.

But I don't think anyone did. She is just a sloppy blabbermouth, imo.

Is she friends with the defense team? I guess anything is possible.

Virtually all that evidence has been introduced this time around. There have been hacked bank account rumors around since the first trial....not sure if they're true, and don't know how to begin figuring it out without knowing how Travis did his banking.

She isn't a genius hacker. She just snooped and found and/or figured out passwords to his online social accounts. That's pretty different than gaining access to his bank accounts.

Sorry again Hope4more, but everything did not come in this time. Look at the minute entries, they just kept getting stuff sealed and if you have been watching you have to remember the latest with Abe, NO MAGIC PANTIES. JSS has limited Juan on what he could present all along. Look at the Minute entries.

So, does JA have to answer to the 3 juror questions?

If so, i'll bet one of them is: "Have you ever sought help for your mental illness?"

Does Nurmi still have motions for prosecutorial misconduct (other that the most recent one re: 1/26/15) hanging out there or has everything been ruled on? He just keeps delaying the inevitable IMO. He was citing Mielke (sic?) early on and now cites Seachrest (sic?) and I wondered if this has to do with DeMarte or something else. Any thoughts?

Judge Judy wouldn't give a rat's *advertiser censored* about 95% of the drivel that comes from Nurmott's table.

lol That's funny. My daughter said the same thing today! "They gotta get Judge Judy in there...she wouldn't put up with any of that crap!" haha

She did not turn off his circuit breakers. That was erroneous information reported by Paul Sanders. T did not find her in the basement near circuit breakers. She was in the street level part of his house then fled.
Since this is information so easy to check on I am not going to correct you here.

I

Is she friends with the defense team? I guess anything is possible.

No. I don't think she is purposely trying to help the DT. I think she is trying to save face and extend her 15 min of fame/shame. So she is being interviewed about ridiculous things. She should wait until the sentence is determined and then she can blab all she wants.

Does this mean Jodi must be cross examined now?

Not as long as she refuses to get back up to finish her testimony iirc. I would like to know just how the DT will justify/explain her refusal/aversion to finishing her testimony in open court, while maintaining she is able to stand up and give her allocution... or maybe they can't and therefore she won't?:thinking:

AZL question? Recently I attended a fairly high profile Trial in Detroit twice. I recruited a newbie to Trials to attend with me LOL One of my BFF's. We were on the elevator riding up with probably a dozen people. One could tell some were Lawyers etc. I did see 2 who wore badges stating "Juror". My Gal Pal whispered to me oh look Jurors I'm going to ask if they are on the Bashara Trial. I whispered NO don't ask them anything. Don't even ask if they think it's cold outside. BFF asked later why and I said best not to chance getting hauled into Judges Chambers over a benign query. Thinking perhaps a Defense Atty. may be riding with us. Am I being paranoid? LOL TIA

What about the lights?
On Day 32 when Demartes testified she stated;

“One incident references that Travis Alexander was upstairs in his house with Lisa Andrews. The lights suddenly went out,” DeMarte explains. “Travis went downstairs to investigate and he turned the circuit breakers back on. He did not admit until later to Lisa that he discovered Arias downstairs.

Oh! I missed the part of the circuit breakers, I thought the lights went out because it was a motion sensor type light. :doh:

AZL question? Recently I attended a fairly high profile Trial in Detroit twice. I recruited a newbie to Trials to attend with me LOL One of my BFF's. We were on the elevator riding up with probably a dozen people. One could tell some were Lawyers etc. I did see 2 who wore badges stating "Juror". My Gal Pal whispered to me oh look Jurors I'm going to ask if they are on the Bashara Trial. I whispered NO don't ask them anything. Don't even ask if they think it's cold outside. BFF asked later why and I said best not to chance getting hauled into Judges Chambers over a benign query. Thinking perhaps a Defense Atty. may be riding with us. Am I being paranoid? LOL TIA

No, you were absolutely right. Do not speak to the jurors about anything. That juror may be kicked off for even the most innocent discussion. Better to just smile and walk on by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper