Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/13 thru 2/18 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would he testify to??? I've never heRd his name before?

I believe he testifies to how she will fare in prison, how death row is horrible and would be detrimental to the defendant, blah blah blah.

This isn't Club Med. It will be lousy and uncomfortable for JA? Glad to hear it.

Jodi loved photo shop. I always noticed the same thing in all her selfies. Her teeth appeared perfect. When she was crying to Flores about her wedding photo shoot and those of her sister and brother she said," Photo shop works wonders." She wa nted to know when she would get her camera back.

I look at at the pics of JA with Travis at the Falls and wondered if she photoshopped herself In them. Something just doesn't look right in most of the pics of the two together. I don't know. I am just suspicious of everything now.

I look at at the pics of JA with Travis at the Falls and wondered if she photoshopped herself In them. Something just doesn't look right in most of the pics of the two together. I don't know. I am just suspicious of everything now.

BBM

Hopefully the jurors feel the same way!

Jodi loved photo shop. I always noticed the same thing in all her selfies. Her teeth appeared perfect. When she was crying to Flores about her wedding photo shoot and those of her sister and brother she said," Photo shop works wonders." She wa nted to know when she would get her camera back.

I'm curious whether Travis' computer had PhotoShop on it because those 6 pics uploaded to Flickr on 6/2/08 had been processed in some manner (possibly just to crop) through PhotoShop, think that was the night she stayed over at Matt's.

I believe he testifies to how she will fare in prison, how death row is horrible and would be detrimental to the defendant, blah blah blah.

This isn't Club Med. It will be lousy and uncomfortable for JA? Glad to hear it.

Whaaaaat? That's absurd. Maybe they ditched that strategy b/c they realized how easy it would be for Juan to make them look stuuuuupid.

Ie, asking DeMarte if ALL inmates are "mentally ill & depressed" simply b/c they are inmates!

I really don't think we can base the results of this case by comparing it to another case. Different cases and different juries. Also different Prosecutors.

Jodi deserves death as much as this women did or WA which Juan did put on death row.

ETA: Ah now I learn she didn't even have a trial. She did a plea deal to save her life and that is not going to happen in this case. JM would never plea with JA. Seems like this woman was pretty sure if it went to trial she would get death.

Jodi herself offered a plea deal with Juan, to second degree manslaughter :giggle:
Then she yacks on and on about how much she wanted to plea, but the prosecution would have no part in it. Now, because of JM, she HAD to drag TA through the mud. It was HIS fault, don't cha know?

T-shirt business:
Vol.2,P.59
Sunday Nov. 18/07
"I'm getting a little ahead of myself on my excitement about T-shirts. I've come to realize that the T-shirt business is very much a "Me, too" business, which is fine, I guess, because that means me, too! But it looks like I'll have to forgo(sic) that until after the New Year." (gee, does this T-shirt business include panties?)

"Today I've spent a bit too much time on the computer, but it was mostly a lot of research for my future business ventures."

Saturday Nov. 24/07 P.63(TA's grandmother is ill, not sure if he's gone to see her at this point and is not home...)
"I haven't written since Wednesday. For Thanksgiving"...
blah blah blah
"Then I went home & grabbed my computer & went to Travis' house. I got my ring and then stayed and watched the Secret. Then Dustin & a girl named Rebekkah came over and we watched Rain on Me. I fell asleep there."
"Yesterday I touched up a painting I made 10 years ago for my Grandma Caroline. She'll be getting that for X-mas this year.
"
blah blah blah
"Right now I'm photoshopping/organizing photos and catching up on my scriptures."

Monday Nov. 26/07 P.65 Talking about her cat...
"Being able to bury her gave me a solid sense of closure, which I would not have otherwise had."

Ok, that's enough for tonight.:gaah:

Why do I think that poor cat came to an untimely death??? Normally cats can live a very long life, and I remember she told Flores she had numerous scratches from her cat. And she told one of the shrinks she had squeezed a cat so hard it passed out. Just ugh.

And on the t-shirts, guess the Survivor t-shirt satisfied one of her goals, just as her smiling face at the Shakespeare festival was also a goal. Really pathetic. NO PTSD there.

Trying to catch up,has anything happened since Thursday/Friday?

I have norovirus so been doing nothing but sleep and be ill

I am no fan of JSS, but about that appeal thing. If JA gets the DP she will exercise all her rights to appeal, and at some point she'll file for HC relief with the 9th Circuit of Appeals.

The 9th Circuit as a whole is actively anti-DP. The Supreme Court has chastised the 9th on numerous occasions for what amounts to twisting the law in pursuit of an agenda. The 9th overturns DP convictions/sentences, the Supreme Court rebukes the 9th.

Late Dec 2014 the 9th struck again, in Mann v Ryan. Here's the thing. Defendant Mann received a fair trial. After the verdict, his attorney received a continuance to put a mitigation case together. During the sentencing phase Mann's attorney did present and argue a list of mitigators. Mann received the DP.

Every AZ court upheld the verdict and sentence. Enter the 9th. The 9th granted relief based on ineffective counsel during sentencing. The notion of ineffective counsel was based on Mann's attorney not bringing in a specific piece of new evidence during sentencing (hadn't been introduced in guilt phase).

AZ State courts ruled that the evidence Mann's attorney did not introduce would not have changed the sentence imposed. If I understand correctly, the 9th seized on the wording of that single phrase to argue that the State courts had applied an incorrect standard of proof. The 9th asserted the State had applied an impermissible "more likely than not" standard rather than the correct Strickland standard of "reasonable probability" in deciding what difference the new evidence might have made in sentencing. State courts, however, specifically cited Strickland as their standard of proof; only the wording of their reasoning could be construed as "faulty.'

In essense, the 9th accepted the defendant's absurd claim of ineffective counsel based on a purposeful misreading of AZ State court decisions, and despite the fact Mann's attorney had in fact presented a full mitigation case.

If she gets the DP, maybe JA's appeals will go absolutely nowhere. If JSS is looking westward to San Fran, though, it sounds like no amount of caution would be excessive.

But Jodi was never offered to be given Life and Death taken off the table if she plead guilty.

Only a jury can sentence to death. Oddly enough, SCOTUS made that ruling based on an Arizona case -

Supreme Court Declares Defendants Have a Right to Jury Determination of Eligibility for Death Sentence
In a 7-2 decision in the case of Ring v. Arizona, the U.S. Supreme Court held that a defendant has the right to have a jury, rather than a judge, decide on the existence of an aggravating factor that makes the defendant eligible for the death penalty. In its decision, the Court held that a death sentence where the necessary aggravating factors are determined by a judge violates a defendant's constitutional right to a trial by jury. (Associated Press, June 24, 2002)

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/us-supreme-court-ring-v-arizona

I'm curious whether Travis' computer had PhotoShop on it because those 6 pics uploaded to Flickr on 6/2/08 had been processed in some manner (possibly just to crop) through PhotoShop, think that was the night she stayed over at Matt's.

GEEVEE Do you have a link to those photos? I would love to see which six you say we're photoshopped!
I am a firm believer that most of their photos were altered.

Trying to catch up,has anything happened since Thursday/Friday?

I have norovirus so been doing nothing but sleep and be ill

Nothing has happened. JM's response to Nurmi's motion (Geffner, arm flailing, etc.) is to be released today-perhaps. Haven't looked yet.

Hope you feel better!

We've all wondered what exact event could have triggered Travis toward the end: maybe her threatening to go forward with the (probably doctored) sex tape or maybe something else. I thought maybe it was that Travis finally learned the extent of her doing things to make it look like it was him. He knew she was monitoring his messages - it seemed like he was taunting her a bit in that regard. And he knew she was sending messages to herself as him and nasty letters to others as herself. But maybe he only learned a week or so before she killed him that she was sending messages to others making it look like they came from him. If he hadn't realized she was trying to wreck his life by spoofing messages to Lisa, Deanna, Mimi, whoever ... that would have been devastating for him to find out that had been going on for months.

Re: surveillance timeline

Detective Mendes testified that he was contacted by Mesa on July 11th and told that a team from Mesa would be coming. He was asked to find out where she was, etc. and mentions finding her staying at her grandparents and working @ Case Ramos - they were probably keeping an eye on her too, knowing an arrest was coming. Maybe not constant surveillance, but they knew what she was indicted for, and that another agency had asked for their help. I don't think she was going to go too far...

Re: surveillance timeline

Detective Mendes testified that he was contacted by Mesa on July 11th and told that a team from Mesa would be coming. He was asked to find out where she was, etc. and mentions finding her staying at her grandparents and working @ Case Ramos - they were probably keeping an eye on her too, knowing an arrest was coming. Maybe not constant surveillance, but they knew what she was indicted for, and that another agency had asked for their help. I don't think she was going to go too far...

That makes sense. Jodi got a murder indictment for her 28th birthday July 9, 2008
:Happybirthday:

Good point about those trips being some more of JAs lies and embellishments. Seems like if they were, it could be proven with his credit card statements. They drove everywhere. Even if she could get by with saying he paid cash for gas/food, hotels require credit cards as a back up.

JA gives all kinds of detail not germane to stall testimony, but none for the trips she and Travis supposedly took. Nothing like the cute little hotel/cafe and what was ordered. No details of conversations during the hours in the car or specifics of the sites they supposedly visited. No other Mormon couples they ran into and had interesting conversations.

I always thought that was weird, but assumed it was just ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966