Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/5 - 2/9 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People have BPD and live a healthy, fulfilling life. Just because one has a disorder (I like to call it an inbalance); they still make choices.

JA chose to go to Mesa on Jun4, and she had already convinced herself she was going. Kinda like cause and effect. So, to me, she made that choice and she should have to pay the price, it's not really related to his BPD.

She never in good faith got help for whatever ails her brain. If she had, there might be some mitigation.

But if Nurmi was the one objecting to Juan's direct, wasn't it clear that he would be the one to cross DeMarte?

IIRC, first KN said New Zealand was in Europe! (Didn't JM kick in an objection that said: "Geography"?) He didn't even get to the colony part except as a "correction"! This all strikes me as bizarre. I mean his prime "witness", W1, lives in New Zealand. You'd think he'd look it up on a map. Terrible education, lack of awareness of the world, too much interest in sex.

JW also strikes me as having had a very mediocre education. There's no sign of rigor in her CV as far as I can see (i.e. not just a degree), no awards, no honors, no thesis, no law school journal editor, and her use of language is very sloppy. It's very important for attorneys to have a good sense of language and its implications, since their work revolves around precision in language. JW has obviously never been in a competitive academic environment: she would have been pushed by her peers. She might have got all A's, but this doesn't mean facility: it often reflects lack of competition and it very often reflects failure to take challenging classes.

Demarte, on the other hand, developed in a very competitive environment. You can tell by how she talks. She's bounced ideas around and been challenged by peers; this teaches you how to think a few steps ahead and anticipate implications. You have to slow your brain down a bit so you don't get thrown off and have a chance to state your point (note JW charges into a sentence and then it all goes kind of flaccid. Breathy as well.). Batting around stuff with peers also teaches you how to notice flaws in other people's logic, and to synthesize ideas on the fly. Demarte has also sought out contexts where she's taken on additional challenges, and she must have acquired a lot of confidence from that.

It's interesting, though, that I'm not sure DeMarte would be a great personal therapist. She really excels at evaluation and data and she's great at talking. I'm not sure the data point stuff and the style of talking would work very well in a therapy session, except maybe where someone needs a lot of structure.

It could also be that she is good at switching roles; the situations require different skills and attitudes. IMO, just because she's a cool customer meeting forensic challenges does not mean she is that way with her clients in therapy. Just another perspective. Also, the secret to finding a sympatico therapist is a good fit.

Actually I would be more concerned about Fonseca, Geffner and Alyce LaViolette as therapists than Demarte.

:(:(:(
In AZ, the judge can't change the verdict either way. But juries don't "sentence" people; judges do. So as soon as she is sentenced, she will be taken to death row, yes. But the jury verdict is not a sentence. Much like the jury verdict in the guilt phase is technically not a "conviction."

Now if the jury says "death," there's nothing for the judge to consider, so JSS could immediately announce the sentence if she wants to. And even if they say life, she could immediately announce LWOP/LWP. But typically sentencing hearings are set a month or two down the road.

In this case, perhaps she will sentence JA immediately just to start the clock running on all the post-trial motions Nurmi will want to file lol. :) Since she knows for certain that those motions are coming, and there will be no problem with jurisdiction for the omnibus motion until those motions are resolved, she might as well get things started.
Bummer, I was really hoping for verdict, last SWAT bus leaving the courthouse and first escourt out of Estella headed to Perryville the next day. No last visits with Maria. Just one last one with Nurmi, and I hoped it was on one of those nine out of ten days he doesn't like her.

Can someone post the song Margaritaville with lyrics by Jimmy Buffet? I think Jodi was familar with this song. Its where she got the name Margaritaville from. IMO

1. Male
2. Dog owner
3.The felon deserves the DP.

PS: I websleuth at work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

But if Nurmi was the one objecting to Juan's direct, wasn't it clear that he would be the one to cross DeMarte?

I think JW actually did jump in with a couple of objections as well.

Seems like the few of us hanging around today are enjoy a day free of the disgust that is Nurmi & Co. It is so peaceful here this afternoon :)

I have been reading the 13th Juror's posts today and the "Curious George" (Georgette?) in me has been trying to figure out if any of the commenters on his site are members here. Hope that doesn't sound stalkerish - it's just that I feel like I've gotten to know so many of you the past two years and I often wonder what you're like in "real life".

My son teases me about my "cat-lady " club (this forum!!!) but I wear that label proudly. Based on comments and avatars, I'm certain more than a few of my fellow WS'ers are also pet-people, and most certainly ladies. What a blast it would be to have an evening of brilliant, thoughtful, emotional conversation with all of you (adult beverages and Tex-Mex's food included!) I have no doubt that most of us have a lot more in common than just our desire to see justice served. Weird as it may sound, I am proud to be part of such an amazing group of smart, strong and incredibly caring peeps. Hope my "geeking-out" doesn't offend anyone.
Cait
Thanks for such a cheery, positive, and refreshing message. Much needed. In my household: dogs and cats...living together....

Just playing around and found this.
Is anyone familiar with Health-grades?
This is a Patient Satisfaction feedback on their experience with Dr. Janeen A. Demarte, PHD
Over all - below national average
Staff friendliness- below national average
Total Time wait- shorter than national average
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort,,etc,- above national average
Ease of scheduling, urgent appointments- below national average
Level of trust in provider- below national average
How provider explains medical conditions - below national average
How well provider listens and answers questions- below national average
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients- below national average

This site wouldn't let me read the reviews because that part is confidential.

I was surprised.

http://www.healthgrades.com/provider/janeen-demarte-366p9#tab=patient-ratings&scrollTo=TopOfMain

Those reviews were probably entered by Jodi's coterie or the gangs of the other DP-ers Dr. JD has testified against. Plus, she often works with convicts. Dr. JD almost certainly has a lot of haters. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in "healthgrades".

Yes I do believe you are correct on that. For some reason I keep thinking her name was Laura but dont quote me.

I think that young woman and her mom were on Nancy Grace or one of those shows. I was under the impression that this all took place at "Jodi's house" in Palm Desert.

And would that have caused an immediate mistrial or would they have called in an alternate in their place?

I don't believe that would be true. Why would they have grounds for a mistrial when a juror was not truthful? It does happen frequently that jurors report incidents. It has happened in this trial and the retrial a couple of times. Not unusual and basically it is up to the judge what they decide to do, not the jurors.

About what Nurmi might be feeling. I'm going to invalidate him by referring to him as a position rather than Nurmi the person.

So, no wonder JA's defense atty is feeling plenty pizzy right about now. He's spent years defending a client who not only doesn't listen to his advise, but who insists upon a strategy he knows for a fact will blow up in his face every step of the way. He's pretty sure if not entirely confident that had she dropped her ridiculous claim of self defense he would have had a good shot at persuading the jury she snapped. No first degree conviction, and certainly not the PITA of having to continue representing her in a retrial.

His client during the first trial was near impossible to bear, now she's a flat out nightmare. Pushing mental illness is his best and maybe only chance to not lose this round, but she just won't go there.

Enter DeMarte. By all rights it should be HIS expert on the stand plying BPD. Instead he has to try to undermine the very testimony he not only knows to be true but also helpful to his client.

Forget it's Nurmi. Wouldn't anyone feel kinda grumpy too?

Honestly, given Nurmi like behaviour and attitude in anyone, their angst would leave me cold (and that includes Nurmi). IMO, he is not that good of a lawyer and his expedient moral compass is unforgivable.

I think the comment was more Jodi listening to the cross that morning (no matter who gave it) and realizing there is no impeaching Dr. D. She couldn't let her followers believe it was a no win for the defense so she blamed Nurmi.

Can someone post the song Margaritaville with lyrics by Jimmy Buffet? I think Jodi was familar with this song. Its where she got the name Margaritaville from. IMO

Margaritaville is also a chain of restaurants started by Jimmy Buffet
http://www.margaritavillelasvegas.com/restaurant.html

MOO: I think JA told Ryan Burns she cut her finger at Casa Ramos and described the restaurant to him as "like Margaritaville" but he probably wasn't paying close attention. She talks a lot. Who remembers all of her babble?
It looks a lot more low-key than Margaritaville http://casaramos.net/

ETA: Hm. There is, or was, a Margaritaville location in Cancun...
http://www.margaritaville.com.mx/en/

And Jodi's NOT a "small girl". She's 5'8" or 5'10", I believe.
I think Ziggy said in one of her posts that Jodi's legs looked shorter than she had imagined but her arms and fingers were long. Lol

Haha no, that's not how I read it. I read it as "UTAH" [code word for "what I did on my trip"] was amazing, followed by FIVE exclamation points just to emphasize the amazingness of "UTAH," followed by a detailed hour-by-hour alibi recitation with very little overt amazingness whatsoever mentioned. :thinking: So the amazing part was the part not specifically recited, apparently.

Yea, I had the impression the "adjustment" she didn't want to talk about was probably the "amazing" part.

I think that young woman and her mom were on Nancy Grace or one of those shows. I was under the impression that this all took place at "Jodi's house" in Palm Desert.
You are right about that.

I'm just looking at the logic. Like this.

JA has BPD. BPD is considered a mental illness. Therefore JA is mentally ill. TRUE

JA has BPD and is mentally ill, therefore her BPD should be mitigating. FALSE. That she is mentally ill may be factually true, but whether or not it should be considered mitigation is a subjective decision made by the jury.

JA premeditated the murder and Travis' murder was especially cruel. Because of the premeditation and cruelty, JA cannot be considered mentally ill. (Sanders) FALSE.

JA can be (and is, IMO) both mentally ill and guilty of a premeditated and cruel murder. As was DeWalt.

I don't think that one can reduce such multi-faceted and complex decision making to a syllogism.

Okay, still only a 3 inch height differential, and I wouldn't classify her as petite. Besides I think even an armed petite woman could take down somebody much larger.
My daughter is 5'6" and so am I. But she could take me down in a minute! And she is smaller built than me.
When i was a teenager I used to fight with my dear sister who was very petite and she used to tell me "dynamite comes in small packages." she was right!

Daisy, you may be right but I think Jodi would have told Wilmer that and it would have come out in cross. I think the lyrics to the song is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli