Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Beth Karas' Facebook page, just posted:
https://www.facebook.com/BethKarasInsession

I'll be covering the Arias penalty phase retrial through a new website called Karas on Crime at
https://karasoncrime.com/. When you go to the site, you'll see an introductory video where I describe my plan. I will give you a live report on the website every night along with updates, photos from the courtroom pool camera, analysis, and more. I've already posted some documents and analysis, a timeline from the first trial, etc. This is a members-only subscription site. If you want all the details from the retrial, please join!

I tried to sign up. It went thru pay pal and was accepted.......then nothing! Didn't take me anywhere to set up username/password etc. I don't know what to do, I don't have facebokk or twitter.

And it costs $6 per month :mad:

So if the re-trial lasts through December, that's less than 3 months. Even 3 months would only be $18. I'd say worth it to not have to listen to NG or read the standup comic wannabes and fashion police tweets. jmt

I tried to sign up. It went thru pay pal and was accepted.......then nothing! Didn't take me anywhere to set up username/password etc. I don't know what to do, I don't have facebokk or twitter.

Check your email for a confirmation link? Good luck! Tell us if it's awesome. :)

I'm not sure any rulings on evidence from previous phases matter here. This phase is different in 2 ways, the burden of proof is on her, and the normal rules of evidence don't apply. The statute says "the prosecution or the defendant may present any information that is relevant to any of the mitigating circumstances included in subsection G of this section, regardless of its admissibility under the rules governing admission of evidence at criminal trials".

But it also says "The prosecution and the defendant shall be permitted to rebut any information received at the aggravation or penalty phase of the sentencing proceeding." IF these letters are allowed in, I would think JM's expert is in too, along with any other shenanigans that went on surrounding them...but then JSS constantly surprises, doesn't she? Hopefully AZ lawyer will fill us in on her read of today's happenings...

So if the re-trial lasts through December, that's less than 3 months. Even 3 months would only be $18. I'd say worth it to not have to listen to NG or read the standup comic wannabes and fashion police tweets. jmt

LOL! Those are great selling points. I think the trial is easily going to go into next year, but you're right, the price is still not that bad. I want to hear what members have to say about it. I will probably subscribe.

Totally! She would probably make more money allowing free access to the site and placing ads on it instead. I'm sure she'd get lots of traffic.

It actually takes weeks for Google to approve a site to use their ad sense program. And I think it's something like 1,000 visitors a day = $1. For a trial that will only last 2-3 months, a subscription system is more benefitial. (IF there was enough interest in this case, which there isn't.)

I really don't understand why a news network hasn't offered her the moon and stars to work for them. Or to go back to work for them. Nobody expects Beth Karas to work for free, I know that. But this is a bad idea.
Beth Karas has got to be advertising gold at some TV network, right?

I agree. She really is great at what she does and I really like her.

I am surprised that a network hasnt started another CourTV type show with live trials. It seemed there was a lot of interest in them when they had that channel.

And the way criminals keep murdering people and other crimes, there is always the next big case. As well as reruns of popular cases.

I signed up. Along with 49 other people. What can I say? I like to support the little man. And she does deliver great work. The site is kind of glitchy though.

Skimming through some of the tweets on twitter today. I was at work and can't catch everything on breaks.
Does anyone know if this was discussed today.
KTAR News on 92.3 ‏@KTAR923 6h6 hours ago

#JudgeStephens has denied #jodiarias motion to preclude expert witnesses; namely Dr. Demarte

If she gave you a link for the website and it has "facebook" in any part of the link, then maybe you have to have a facebook account to view the site. You would know if the link to it has like HTTP://...xxxx.facebook....xxxx where facebook is part of the link.

Hopefully you will get an email with instructions.

I dont have a facebook ID and there are many facebook sites that I cant view because of the privileges the people set on them. Certain other ones I can view even without an ID. So if hers is part of facebook, i am thinking you would have to setup a facebook id.

ETA: when i tried to click on the link, it does seem to exand to one that has "facebook" as part of the HTTP... link so maybe that is it. If that is the case, you would think she would make it clear to say that though.

Jodi supposedly was the recipient of these letters. Somewhere along the way, they were scanned into a computer. All Arias has to offer for analysis of the copies. Handwriting analysts have to work from the originals.

IMHO, they are cut and paste from the diaries Jodi stole from Travis.

Wasn't it discussed here that Matt may have done them up. There never were original letters.

Jodi supposedly was the recipient of these letters. Somewhere along the way, they were scanned into a computer. All Arias has to offer for analysis of the copies. Handwriting analysts have to work from the originals.

IMHO, they are cut and paste from the diaries Jodi stole from Travis.

Wasn't it discussed here that Matt may have done them up. There never were original letters.

She disgusts me.

I signed up. Along with 49 other people. What can I say? I like to support the little man. And she does deliver great work. The site is kind of glitchy though.

I did too! I agree with everything you've said here. I'm pretty sure Ms. Karas spent a lot more setting up the site than she's made so far. I wish her luck. I still dislike paywalls, but whatchagonnado. I have on my browser, so I'd be essentially ripping her off if she were relying on ads.

Minutes read:

Counsel for the Defense withdraws their objection to the State’s Motion to Preclude.
IT IS ORDERED granting the State’s Motion to Preclude the Letters.

Ah, ok yes, it was granted. Thanks.

But it still sounds like the defense withdrew the letters. The withdrew their objection to Juan's motion. Why would they do that unless they withdrew the letters? And it was widely reported that the defense withdrew the letters because they knew they were forged and didn't want to risk their jobs. It still sounds like the motion was granted because the defense stopped fighting it. And the judge was simply left with granting the motion.

Portion of text messages between Travis & Arias for the date of January 22, 2008 are available & of real interest. That was the day he purportedly got violent & broke her finger, when she went to his house. At 3:36 pm, she writes "I'm gonna need a ride! I'm off at 4 pm. Txt me." At 4:04 pm, she texts, "Scratch that. They're keeping me here til 5 pm. Can you pick me up then? The lunch offer from my voice mail still stands." He replies at 4:08 pm, "Sure". At 4:39 pm, Arias writes, "I'm almost off! Yea! Are U eating? If so, just sit at the counter."

On the preceding day (supposed walking in on him), she tells him, "I have a really bad headache. I can barely move." That's at 7:36 pm. He replies, "Alright, get it tomorrow then." This, at 9:11 pm. He is referring to the car she wants to borrow, I believe, although she also asks if he has made a deposit to her account on the 22nd & he has. I think he is referring to his car though, not a deposit.

I think there was a conversation about trading cars and a brief mention of a deposit made from Travis to Jodi. This was purportedly made on the same day Jodi claims Travis asked HER for money and when she refused he got violent.

This text exchange doesn't get talked about much this is HUGE evidence to me. Why would he beat her up over not giving him money when she had JUST received money from him? She flipped the script.

In today's twitter feed, there was this:

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ
Defense says his witnesses can't say for sure Travis wrote those letters

So not only can they not prove they're real, there are no witnesses to testilie about them. IOW, there is no evidence of anything other than her mother's attempts to give (sell?) them to media before trial! But Nurmi objects to an expert witness being allowed to rebut their authenticity? We are definitely down the rabbit hole with this "trial"...:scared:

Yes, Dr. DeMarte diagnosed Arias with co-morbid conditions: transient stress related paranoid ideation. She also characterized her as a manipulative liar & a narcissist. But for all that, her conditions did not impel her to murder. That was a decision she came to well in advance of her crime. She thought she had planned cleverly, to avoid detection. It was a sustained and evil urge. After fleeing to Yreka, she packed a gun & knives for yet another getaway. That is consistent with her preferred method of attack, seen in her premeditation.
Exactly. Even with her undiagnosed conditions, she was destined to be a killer.

Didn't her own mother even say in the Det. Flores interviews that someone called to say Jodi needed to get help? I can't remember now.

Well. as much as I dislike Jodi, the part about Judge Stephens inadequacies doesn't seem all that unrealistic to me. The only reason this trial turned into a circus is because Stephens didn't keep a tight rein on those lawyers. She needs to learn when to tell Nurmi and Wilmott to sit down and shut up,
and I haven't known her to do it a single time.

When asked if they can approach the bench for yet ANOTHER sidebar........the answer should be "NO, we have talked enough, move on."

There are a whole lot of judges out there that wouldn't put up with the kind of games and manufactured drama that Jodi's defense team brings into the courtroom. It makes our entire judicial process look like a big joke.
I think JSS is treading lightly because this is a DP case, and some people oppose it.

She should of sequestered the first jury.

And, IMO, the media has turn this trial into a gong show. And, lookie, lookie shows that covered the Arias trial are now getting cancelled.

Imagine if JSS allowed live stream for this one? Good Lord.

I think JSS is treading lightly because this is a DP case, and some people oppose it.

And, IMO, the media has turn this trial into a gong show. And, lookie, lookie shows that covered the Arias trial are now getting cancelled.

I think the Twitter media is much more of a circus than the live stream. At least when we had live video, the trial was center ring. Now it's the reporters. Meta New Journalism.

I don't think the judge really can sequester the jury. AZ doesn't have the budget for it and a jury hasn't been sequestered in the state in decades. I don't really think she has a choice there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay