Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 19 - Shortest Court Day, EVER

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nurmi is like a toddler who keeps testing for boundaries, finds there are none, and so pushes further and further.

He has nothing to lose and a mistrial to gain, so why not. No mystery there. Why JSS would allow an expert witness to go nameless, though, is beyond me.
Jumping off your post...

Why would she allow JA to testify in secret? I keep shaking my head over that one. Won't be surprised with whoever gets to testify in secret. She allowed DB to testify without his face showing and then he did a media interview right after. Secret testimony, fake names, hiding of faces...only for those who are "scared" to come out in public after the fact. Can't make this stuff up.

I think this penalty phase in general, and the handling of the computer issue in particular, is a mess. IMO JSS should have started the first computer hearing with announcing that she didn't want to hear anything unless it was about Travis viewing child *advertiser censored* (the only relevant kind) and/or about the State deleting evidence of child *advertiser censored*. And all witnesses should be named and should testify in public. I have no separate opinions as a WSer; my personality is entirely integrated. ;)

There is no chatter in the legal community about this case, except weeks ago when the judge forgot about the 1st Amendment for a while.

Thank you SO MUCH! Very interesting and funny to boot! We are really so lucky to have you- I know you hear it all the time- but I wanted you to hear it from me!

I am going to work hard to change my frame of mind to being interested in what happens next, and so on and so on and so on. I am really interested to understand as I watch the process unfold, when I stop being frustrated by it all!

Practically the only thing I am certain of at the moment is that Juan has got this- no matter what they throw at him.

MC Superior Court @courtpio · 1m 1 minute ago
Possible telephonic status conference with attorneys tomorrow at 4pm in the state v JodiArias.
MC Superior Court @courtpio · 7m 7 minutes ago
State v. #JodiArias will not be in trial tomorrow.

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 31s31 seconds ago
Case seems to have no end. "@courtpio: Possible telephonic status conference with attorneys tomorrow at 4pm in the State v. #JodiArias."

Possible telephonic status conference with attorneys tomorrow at 4pm in the state v Jodiarieas

Hehehehehe... possible... Wow!

Going to work on that frame of mind thing- NOW!

Really? I didn't know that. So, nothing she does sets a precedence for future cases?

No. Thankfully, the only precedent set thus far is that the AZ Court of Appeals said no more secret trial.

Thats exactly what it seems like to me, I just read Juan's motion and he is literally speaking in circles, anything and everything is placed on mr who sall not be named. He's supposed to be in charge of finding this bombshell *advertiser censored* and yet he has no answers or ideas what his fellow teammate did. BS I really hope he is held in contempt and brought up on charges. I couldn't see myself risking my career over someone like Jodi, there isn't a paycheck big enough. Its just not worth it. Even Ray Charles can see what's going on here Heck i'll throw in Stevie Wonder and Hellen Keller too! its just that obvious.

In hindsight, this all makes that handshake he gave JA and all of his blustering to Juan all the more mind boggling. What a foolish arrogant man!

I'm seriously still baffled you guys. The COA made it more than clear when secret testimony was allowed in a criminal case; grave danger etc etc Yet we seem to still have another future witness that's referred to as "Pseudonym" in official court documents and can't be named in open court. The COA released it's ruling and the secrecy continues as if nothing happened. Unbelievable.

Timestamps are MST
1:51PM
@HenleMark#jodiarias defense attorneys seek another trial delay http://t.co/h9cExGtlfZ via @azcentral http://t.co/RKbRY6ugmhTwitter
3:03PM@LakerFan443224@william_pitts IMO #jodiarias def needs 2 stop with blame the media. #jodiarias brought the media in with her interviews 48hrs ID ect Twitter
3:12PM@michaelbkiefer#Jodiarias witness interviews being conducted behind locked doors. Will they be unlocked when Judge Stephens convenes with attorneys? Twitter
3:13PM@michaelbkieferJodi Arias defense attorneys seek another trial delay http://t.co/QHLiAaRPiY via @azcentral Twitter
3:32PM@michaelbkieferThe #JodiArias lawyers have been in closed court all afternoon as Juan Martinez interviews the computer expert he calls "Pseudonym." Twitter
3:33PM@michaelbkieferMartinez filed motions to interview forensic expert Bryan Neumeister's two assts. When he learned one will testify, he filed to preclude. Twitter
3:34PM@michaelbkieferOh, by the way, there is no trial tomorrow in #JodiArias. Twitter
3:35PM@michaelbkieferAnd doesn't the name "Pseudonym" sound like an arch-villain in a Batman comic book? #JodiArias
Twitter
3:35PM@courtpioState v. #JodiArias will not be in trial tomorrow. Twitter
3:37PM@william_pittsLooks like I have to actually work tomorrow then... “@courtpio: State v. #JodiArias will not be in trial tomorrow.” Twitter

1st BBM: Respectfully disagree ... the buck stops with JSS ... it is her courtroom and she has NO IDEA how to run an efficient and FAIR courtroom !

2nd BBM: JSS knows the rules -- and you do NOT let a witness testify in secret, especially a killer who was found guilty of 1st Degree Pre-Meditated Murder !

JSS understands the COA ruling -- and again, she chose to ignore it.

3rd BBM: Yes, Juan does follow the rules ... and I feel for Juan and the Alexander Family having to put up with the never-ending NIGHTMARE !

4th BBM: The defense will continue to play legal games til the cows come home because JSS ALLOWS IT ! JSS is weak and has no backbone, and CMJA and her DT know this !

:moo: :moo: and :moo:

If JSS is choosing to ignore the CoA ruling then isn't that a sign of having a backbone and being stubborn, which is contradictory to your 4th point? It seems when JSS wants to, she will stick to her guns. For instance how many times has the DT asked for the DP to be removed from consideration? A dozen or more. Has JSS caved in? Nope.

JSS can't stop the defense team from "playing games." They have the legal right to introduce motions and they are doing so with wild abandon. The judge has to consider those motions, she can't just trash them and tell the defense no more.

As for the secret witness testimony, there's no reversible error for pissing off the media and spectators and keeping something hidden until the judge is ready to release it. It's not constitutional but then again do we actually know why (or is this more speculation?). I've been wondering if this delay is not so much because of JSS but because it simply takes a long time for the court reporter to complete the court transcript (I know a couple court reporters and it takes longer than you'd think to get it all scoped, proofed, formatted, double-checked, and ready for publishing). It's a very labor intensive process and I've seen it first hand.

Possible telephonic status conference with attorneys tomorrow at 4pm in the state v JodiArias.
This is ridiculous. They had all this time since the break to get this carp accomplished. This is NOT fair to the jurors. Period. I don't mind all the legal wrangling, but this is really outrageous. I feel so bad for the Alexander's. They travel all the way to Arizona today for this? Probably planned to be here for the week. I can't imagine. When do the victims and the jurors time become valuable to this court?

If JSS is choosing to ignore the CoA ruling then isn't that a sign of having a backbone and being stubborn, which is contradictory to your 4th point? It seems when JSS wants to, she will stick to her guns. For instance how many times has the DT asked for the DP to be removed from consideration? A dozen or more. Has JSS caved in? Nope.

JSS can't stop the defense team from "playing games." They have the legal right to introduce motions and they are doing so with wild abandon. The judge has to consider those motions, she can't just trash them and tell the defense no more.

As for the secret witness testimony, there's no reversible error for pissing off the media and spectators and keeping something hidden until the judge is ready to release it. It's not constitutional but then again do we actually know why (or is this more speculation?). I've been wondering if this delay is not so much because of JSS but because it simply takes a long time for the court reporter to complete the court transcript (I know a couple court reporters and it takes longer than you'd think to get it all scoped, proofed, formatted, double-checked, and ready for publishing). It's a very labor intensive process and I've seen it first hand.

"it's not constitutional but...."
Really? What makes JA so special that the constitution can be trashed? Unbelievable..

In hindsight, this all makes that handshake he gave JA and all of his blustering to Juan all the more mind boggling. What a foolish arrogant man!

You'd think this was a Kingpin Mafioso trial...with all witnesses in protected custody!! For mitigation?!?!

I calmly, lovingly and in christ-like manner, brushed my hair and donned on my pretty street clothes to defend my life once again today. Then I was told there will be no court until further notice, possibly until next month. Love it. Love it. Love it. I love love love delays. ps. No jury will ever sentence me.

Does it sound like what Arias would write in her journal for today?

Regarding your first point - I think the defense is getting worried. They had to think pushing it past Christmas would get a bunch of jurors to bail. None did (the timing on #3 was a coincidence). They still need to lose 4-5 jurors, but it's looking like the jury is going to stick it out, which CANNOT be a positive development for the defense.

The jury doesn't have to sit in court every single day and when there are days off due to whatever excuse, the jurors simply go back to their regular lives. They are not stuck in a hotel somewhere and away from their friends and families. So they have no need to leave the case. They could travel during the holidays as those days were dark, they can work any day they're not in court, their lives are not as impacted as imagined. Every day the defense drags their feet is just another regular day off for jurors. Sure it's probably frustrating to have this going on and on, but remember, they're not sitting on a forum tapping their foot and pulling out their hair. They are going about their own lives and they are only in the courtroom or in the courthouse when there's actually something going on, for the most part (with some exceptions).

Hm. I dunno. This is an online store in Germany?

Yeah, I just realized this. But JA likes to use words that are deceiving. It was just a hunch, not intended for a "for sure." You'll have to ask "Pseudonym" that. :giggle:

So is Pseudonym going to come to court with a bag over his head so no one can identify him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeaimee