Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, hey, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Remember that most of what we heard from the jurors was soundbites and their response to media questions. The focus during those interviews was mostly on Jodi Arias.

But regarding Dr. Marte, I don't really have an opinion one way or another on how she was perceived. It would be purely speculation. Some people prefer "folksy" people. I remember the foreperson saying JM was condescending towards them during his closing while I didn't get that feeling at all.

The trial jury was older on average than this one, so ALV probably had some connection with some of them whereas with this younger jury it may be tougher for her or Geffner to connect. That's a generalization of course and just my opinion.

Yes! Great observation. I do wonder if it will come up during cross by JM that JA has always claimed it was self defense. It probably will. So if it was self defense, why do we need to take all this mental anguish and snapping into consideration!? I think it's tricky because they can't NOW accept that it was premeditated murder, that would mean saying that the verdict was just and correct and you know that JA (and her parents) have been claiming she's been wrongfully convicted.

Either it was premeditated due to this snapping - which means she planned to shoot and stab him in the cruel matter than she did.
Or
It was self defense and she wasn't in snapping-mode and was perfectly fine mental wise.

They cannot combine the two and I can't wait to see how JM will present this to the jury.

Yep. How they thread that needle is one of the very few things I can say I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing.

And her forced words of regret during super secret testimony may have upped the ante. She says she wishes she could do (just) that one day over. No mention of wishing she'd gone to seek help rather a gun and knife and all those gas cans.

DT has some 'plaining to do.

I liked everything about Demarte and found her to be approachable and down-to-earth. The only thing that I was not too happy about was her BPD diagnosis and her 'Arias is like an immature teen' examples. Now, of course, I'm no professional but I did read a great article (I'm not able to find it today) written by a psychologist about Demarte's BPD diagnosis not quite being accurate. I guess professionals disagree amongst themselves.

Based on the jurors' questions last year they were very impressed with Demarte. And, as a bonus, JA gets visibly upset when Demarte is in the house!

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 5m5 minutes ago
#jodiarias penalty phase retrial back 9:30 MST.Dr. Geffner finally returns. Direct should wrap up. Juan will attack

rbbm ..
I may be in the minority, but I hope JM doesn't "attack", which is how he came across in the Geffner clip above. JM seemed unnecessarily mean and hyperbolic imo, especially in contrast to the unemotional, almost ruefully smiling Geffner. Maybe it's my Southern sensibilities, but JM's seeming hostility detracts from his excellent cross. I hope JM keeps the jury's attention on the damning facts and Geffner's bias and not on his own combative courtroom style which doesn't work with Geffner's savvy meekness.

Happy Birthday Doggonecute!!! Hope you have a great day!

And thanks for all you do on WS. It's sooo appreciated!

WTH

1/20/2015 002 - ME: Hearing Vacated - Party (001) 1/20/2015

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa....rtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2008-031021

A “vacated” or “scratched” hearing or case means that a court order or judgment has been cancelled or rendered void. Cases are sometimes vacated at the preliminary hearing stage which may mean that the formal charges were not filed or that the prosecutor has chosen to present it to the Grand Jury for indictment. They may also choose to vacate if additional charges are anticipated and they want to consolidate the matters.

http://azlawhelp.org/viewquestions.cfm?sc=98&mc=13&qid=11081

I liked everything about Demarte and found her to be approachable and down-to-earth. The only thing that I was not too happy about was her BPD diagnosis and her 'Arias is like an immature teen' examples. Now, of course, I'm no professional but I did read a great article (I'm not able to find it today) written by a psychologist about Demarte's BPD diagnosis not quite being accurate. I guess professionals disagree amongst themselves. !

Sounds like this one: http://kristinarandle.com/blog/jodi...i-arias-have-borderline-personality-disorder/

Yep. How they thread that needle is one of the very few things I can say I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing.

And her forced words of regret during super secret testimony may have upped the ante. She says she wishes she could do (just) that one day over. No mention of wishing she'd gone to seek help rather a gun and knife and all those gas cans.

DT has some 'plaining to do.

hope4more, i couldnt agree more she wishes she could go back and do that day over again. 2nd time around she'd take that dang camera with her and have plenty of gloves on hand.

The trial jury was older on average than this one, so ALV probably had some connection with some of them whereas with this younger jury it may be tougher for her or Geffner to connect. That's a generalization of course and just my opinion.

That's a good point. One of the previous jurors said explicitly that the divide on the jury was age-based. Older jurors apparently were more susceptible to believing Travis was emotionally abusive, which of course was what ALV was peddling.

rbbm ..
I may be in the minority, but I hope JM doesn't "attack", which is how he came across in the Geffner clip above. JM seemed unnecessarily mean and hyperbolic imo, especially in contrast to the unemotional, almost ruefully smiling Geffner. Maybe it's my Southern sensibilities, but JM's seeming hostility detracts from his excellent cross. I hope JM keeps the jury's attention on the damning facts and Geffner's bias and not on his own combative courtroom style which doesn't work with Geffner's savvy meekness.

It's always a fine line I suppose, but Juan wants to make the jury realize this guy wasted a week of their time with a bunch of BS. The jurors should be mad about that, and so Juan is expressing it for them. If they thought all was fine and dandy with Geff then it's already a lost cause and nothing Juan does will matter.

Good morning!

Happy Birthday DGC - hope you have a wonderful day and thank you for taking the time to post tweets for us!:bdsong::bdsong:

I agree with Hope that to show mercy or not is a matter of the heart. Then, of course, with the DP at stake, there are the 'stealths', whether they recognise that in themselves or not.

To quote a now famous judge, we have a 'zealous' prosecutor. He doesn't pull at the heart strings - far from it - he rips through unwarranted sympathy and brings everyone back to the heinous nature of the crime. Will it work this time around? I cannot for the life of me see any redeeming features in Arias, but no doubt someone will.

Happy Birthday DGC!! Thank you for all that you do! :)

I've been gone for awhile and got caught up (for the most part) over the weekend. I sure didn't miss much in the last month. :gaah:

WTH

1/20/2015 002 - ME: Hearing Vacated - Party (001) 1/20/2015

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa....rtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2008-031021

A “vacated” or “scratched” hearing or case means that a court order or judgment has been cancelled or rendered void. Cases are sometimes vacated at the preliminary hearing stage which may mean that the formal charges were not filed or that the prosecutor has chosen to present it to the Grand Jury for indictment. They may also choose to vacate if additional charges are anticipated and they want to consolidate the matters.

http://azlawhelp.org/viewquestions.cfm?sc=98&mc=13&qid=11081

What does this mean? Is today's hearing scratched?

What 'hearing' is cancelled today? Does that mean testimony or something with this DT nonsense? I'm confused!

I agree with Hope that to show mercy or not is a matter of the heart. Then, of course, with the DP at stake, there are the 'stealths', whether they recognise that in themselves or not.

To quote a now famous judge, we have a 'zealous' prosecutor. He doesn't pull at the heart strings - far from it - he rips through unwarranted sympathy and brings everyone back to the heinous nature of the crime. Will it work this time around? I cannot for the life of me see any redeeming features in Arias, but no doubt someone will.

I have faith that not one juror will find anything redeeming about her. She's incapable of expressing genuine remorse, and the jurors would all have to be brain dead to miss the fact that her entire mitigation case has been about blaming the man she slaughtered for his own death.

What does this mean? Is today's hearing scratched?

I'm hoping it's just housekeeping from JSS' ruling last week. She did deny a lot of motions... I would think that some of them may have had further hearings scheduled that after "Sue's" testimony she may have found redundant.

It's always a fine line I suppose, but Juan wants to make the jury realize this guy wasted a week of their time with a bunch of BS. The jurors should be mad about that, and so Juan is expressing it for them. If they thought all was fine and dandy with Geff then it's already a lost cause and nothing Juan does will matter.

I don't have a problem with the way Juan conducts the questions. It is his job to cut through all the bull as soon as he gets up to cross.

I don't think the younger jury will be offended in the way Juan crosses witnesses. He shows righteous indignation in order to show what bull the defense experts are trying to get the jury to believe. He would be remiss in his duties if he did not expose these witnesses and their past behaviors in other cases.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member