Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This whiney logic has ALV written all over it to me.

She is nothing more than an overgrown whiney baby just like KN. When she spouted off that Juan needed a timeout, I thought 'lady, you need a permanent timeout that prevents you from ever testifying again.' Ugh

imo

so all this talk and speculation about why JSS found it necessary to close the courtroom and …. it was all because nurmi doesn't like live coverage and EXPERT witnesses, whose testimony SHOULD be scrutinized by all and sundry don't want anyone to hear what they say? Was there more that I missed? I'm very disappointed in the judge. I believed that she had good reason.

Well, we were all at least hoping there was a good reason. I don't see one. Hoping we hear that the judges open the courtroom and this gets done and over with. We can all send Jodi on her way to Perryville. We all want closure.

Nurmi needs to take a pamprin with his cheese and wine. I think he is more critical of himself and JODIS supporters than the vast majority of the world. People with common sense understand KN witdid the best he could with the case he was handed. Get over yourself KN. secondly, if an expert witness testimony cannot be held to even a little bit of scrutiny they are no expert, and certainly shouldn't be a witness.

DGC :seeya:

I need a drink! :needdrink:

Here ya go:

th

After that mess, serving up drinks for all !

th

Just want to add that if Nurmi doesn't like tweeting, he should address this with Maria and Keifer.

Expert witnesses especially need to be id'd and their testimony scrutinized by the public. Otherwise, they can say anything without fear of being outed/corrected by other experts reading about their erroneous assertions. A juror question to ALV was whether JA's so called being pushed/kicked by TA was more "abusive" than the multiple stabs, gunshot, neck slicing JA inflicted on him. Her answer, "No." I think the public deserves to know about AVL and similar "experts" in court whose testimony affects juries.

Right. And there very well could be someone present in the courtroom that could realize a lie is being told and have proof that it is a lie. That person could then be called to testify and prove it was a lie.

Without public hearing what is said at the trial, that is taken away. The lies go unchecked.

I have a wonderful idea, Nurmi, quit worrying about what people, the public, the media has to say, just do your job....Be a defense attorney.
The Lawyer for Perry March, and now who is representing on of the defendants in the Holly Bobo case doesn't give two squats about the media, in fact he uses the media to make his case as well.
He opens his mouth every chance he gets. and doesn't apologize for it.
Put your big boy pants on and get on with it.
The trial is over, and in my opinion you let the public outcry and interest in this case, get to you. You are the one who let it embarass you.....
You have the trial of the century and you are crying foul?

If this is ALV - she did not write a report for the court in the first trial and so she had to testify on her findings. Since, there is no written report - she would have to testify on her findings for mitigation factors in this trial. She would be the one to ask for these "protections" IMO - but then again . . . there is always Gus Searcy with his non-existent Atty representing him from his prestigous firm PPL and the mystery person in the car.

While we wait, I just have an observation I have been wondering about.

Is this phase going along where the Prosecution gets to go first and bring in all their witnesses first, and then the defense will get their turn, and then the Prosecution gets to call final rebuttal witnesses?

The reason I am wondering is it seems Juan is bringing in a lot of witnesses that are going through lots of the same things from the first trial and couldnt some of that have waited until he saw what the defense was going to bring into the trial and then just bring his in on rebuttgal?

Maybe he knew the witness list from defense first and then maybe it makes sense because he knew where defense was heading and was cutting them off at the path.

This phase sounded so simple a month ago. She is guilty. Decide her punishment and try not to rehash the guilty/not-guilty part. But we all knew it would be a rehashing of the 1st trial and I am wondering why the proscution is getting roped up in bringing in so many witnesses that are heading down the path of rehashing the trial.

I love Juan and am just confused how the trial is proceeding if its the prosecution doing all the calling of witnesses.

The prosecution was just presenting evidence regarding the nature of the premeditation and cruelty. That part was necessary because we have a new jury. Now we are truly into the mitigation phase and the defense is calling witnesses.

A few questions for AZL:
- If some 'normal' person was the super secret witness and they were within's the court's jurisdiction, they would need to offer some sort of proof of why they needed a closed hearing, correct?
- And JSS would scrutinize that, e.g. if a witness said, "I fear for my life if I testify," then the Judge would say something like, "Show me the police report that was filed and the evidence you turned over to them." Right?
- Can you imagine what JA could offer that would suffice in lieu of the above?
- Would you guess that JM was aware in advance that this request would be made? I mean well in advance, not five minutes before.
- Since JSS is trying to do everything possible to avoid appeal issues, are you expecting to see "surprises" like witnesses that violate discovery coming from the defense? It seems quite obvious that the judge would allow such testimony no matter how egregious the violation seems to be.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. No, because if he had been aware of it there would not have been so much chaos and contradictory rulings--the issue would have been decided previously and not while the jury was waiting.
5. I expect JSS to continue to try to avoid appeal issues, but not to give in to the defense where no successful appeal would be possible.

I edited my post to add the two tweets I saw, JM did object but it's really neither here nor there as JSS denied the stay motion. I do think as an emergency appeal the court will hear it soon, where did the 25th date come from, do you know?

The 25th is the date on the Ct App scheduling order for consideration of the merits of the special action (appeal). Today they just heard the argument for a stay of the secret testimony.

AZLawyer, sorry, it's probably going to be a busy day for you!

Question - what difference is there between the DT accusing Ms. Flores of releasing sealed material on SM as prosecutorial misconduct, and the Arias family and justus4usall releasing the supposed secret witness name? TIA

EBM: to clarify, does the prosecution have any recourse here?

First of all, we don't know if Justus did release the correct name. The Arias family as far as I know did not, and claimed not to know who was on the stand. The judge is not going to waste time IMO trying to track down any leak unless the defense accuses the prosecution of the leak and demands a mistrial.

My 2 cents...

<respectfully snipped>

Question... if something happens during the retrial that actually leads to a mistrial... does that only affect the retrial? or does it affect the conviction also? TIA

MOO

Just the retrial.

If she gets death it certainly wont be anti-climatic for me or for the Alexander family who has waited for 6 long years.

From what I have read if she gets death the State of Arizona pays for the first appeal........then she is on her own.

Maybe AZL can clear that up.

imo

Either way she would get a "free" appeal, plus I believe free counsel for post-conviction relief proceedings, which are like appeals but address different issues (e.g., ineffective assistance of counsel).

When they said they are standing out in the hall waiting, that is what they mean.
Every time I have had jury duty they call you from the jury pool area to the courtroom.
And every time I have been called there are NO seats out in those halls that I have ever found. I mean NO place to sit except the floor. So give these people some credit for doing this.

I always dressed for jury duty. I no longer do so because you are sitting on the floor after you have waited to be called into the courtroom. You can only stand so long.

There are benches in that hallway. Or chairs--I can't remember. But I think long benches.

@TrialDiariesJ: Lawyers need to be at the appeals hearing so #jodiarias is postponed till 1:15pm MST

That's one way to get a stay. :)

Does JSS go to the Appeals Court as well, since it was her decision?

How does an Appeals Court overturn a sitting judge's order, when they are not there?

Did JSS anticipate this would happen when she ruled on the closed court issue? TIA.

No, trial judges are not allowed to defend their rulings on appeal.

So ... the appellate court will either agree with JSS's decision -- or -- they will overturn it ...

But ... IF the appellate court overturns JSS's decision, will Nurmi appeal that decision to the Arizona Supreme Court ?

:gaah:

He could, but they could decline the case, and when they do it often takes them less than a day to say so.

How many attorneys are representing the media, and every citizen of the country? I am curious how well versed they are in this type of trial case. Especially with the C.O.A which from what I understand is a different type of litigation. I am also curious how many times KN has been in front of COA

David Bodney is like a 1st Amendment god around here. Rest assured he made the best possible argument that could have been made.

Does it sound like Judge Howe has already made a decision? Not an absolute? Hmmm

No, he just likes to play devil's advocate.

From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 56s 56 seconds ago

Judge Howe "closing the courtroom is a very drastic thing" he says to Nurmi.

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 5s 6 seconds ago

Judge Howe doesn't seem to like the idea of a closed proceeding for a witness. #jodiarias

See? ;)

@TrialDiariesJ: Judge Orozoo says he's troubled by this argument because witnesses could be harassed after trial #jodiarias #3tvarias

Judge Orozco is female. lol

Steve Krafft &#8207;@SKrafftFox10 2m2 minutes ago Phoenix, AZ
#JodiArias defense attorney says he wants media out of courtroom to protect expert witnesses testifying about Jodi.

Are you serious? If this is an expert, I...just...:gaah:

I don't know why I am stunned that JSS went along with this crap, but I am. She has subpoena power.

I don't know why I am shocked but this is even extreme for her to cave into such illogical nonsense. Now all hired guns will want their testimony to be in secret to protect their so called reputations.

IMO

Loooooooong time lurker here, and a follower of this case since the beginning. Still working up the courage to jump into the discussion completely, but just wanted to say hello.... :wave:

It's sounds like Nurmi considers anything negative about him on twitter or online to be a 'threat'. I think the guy that chooses to defend the types of clients that he does (and that include the bottom-feeders from his private practice too) needs to suck it up and put on his big boy pants and accept the criticism. If his expert witnesses can't do the same, then too bad for them. Oops, did I just make a threat?! :facepalm:

I'm late and won't be staying too long (not feeling well at all day). But goodness, it has been so busy already! Will try to catch up to ya

Next we'll hear that the "expert " being protected is that nutjob testifying from New Zealand. It's about that absurd.

ALV got what she had coming because she does not know S*** about domestic violence. IMO!!!!!

It would of been different ofr ALV if she has done her job. But she didn't. She chose what she wanted to beleive. What pissed me off was the Travis and the abuse he and his siblings suffered made him an abuser, but the "abuse" Jodi endued didn't make her one. And that no, Travis wasn't a victim of abuse when Jodi killed him.

I want proof of any allegations from Nurmi about CURRENT death threats. The previous trial is OVER. This is the new trial. Where is proof of what you are saying Nurmi?

JA is secure in jail and is not going to be harmed by anybody.
More BS from Nurmi. He just wants to make a scene in any way he can. Delay, Cause Disruptions, etc.

BBM
IF this secret witness turns out to be Jodi, it's kinda ironic that the person who slaughtered Travis is the one supposedly worried about death threats.

If allowed this will be an excuse for any defendant in any trial.

this too is my concern. will this open the door for every other trial after this? will courtrooms go dark because experts don't want anyone to see them be experty? will defense teams cry foul when a judge refuses to gag Lady Justice so they don't look bad to future clients?

If there was sound reasoning for the ousting, I'd have been okay with it but not because of the reasons given today. What was the Judge thinking when she granted this to the defense? did they threaten to not give their side if she didn't do as they wanted and that was her reasoning?

Justice isn't just for one, it is public for a reason.

Loooooooong time lurker here, and a follower of this case since the beginning. Still working up the courage to jump into the discussion completely, but just wanted to say hello.... :wave:

Welcome :seeya: Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members