Revisiting the Hot Body Contest/"Ugly Coping"

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the WESH news piece, Baez may try to blame Casey's actions after Caylee disappeared on "Ugly Coping", as it seems to be called.

But he's probably hoping that people will look at the "poisoned" aspect of the case that was overturned.

Did I understand Nancy correctly that there is a new document dump the defense has with Amscot photos? If photos exist of KC messing around in that car or trunk, JB knows it is over.

JB really makes me nervous. I am afraid that if KC is convicted, she could get a new trail over him. I have never in my life seen such a joke of an attorney. How he passed the bar, I will never know.

Is it possible that JB is creating exactly what he is claiming by showing this case? It occurs to me that maybe he is making media appearances, statements, claims, etc. knowing that it could be used to show ineffective counsel and grant KC a mistrial. I am afraid he may be trying to allude to his tactics. Talking about his defense "strategy" may be his defense strategy. Does that make sense?

If he knows he can't win against the evidence, then his best hope as an attorney is to make room for appeals or mistrials.

Tonight At 11: Casey's Defense?
WESH 2 News reporter Bob Kealing investigates possible strategies for Casey Anthony's defense team.

http://www.wesh.com/video/19309812/index.html

In this teaser video for tonight's news on WESH, Bob Kealing talks about there being similarities between Casey and Cynthia Sommer's case and that it was Baez that told him of this case.

Here is a news article about Sommer's case:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-poison29nov29,0,702496.story?coll=la-home-center

She was convicted of murder and it was later overturned and dismissed due to new testing related to the cause of death. The only similarity to Casey's case is that Sommer partied hard and had casual sex partners in the time period after the death. This was presented at the original trial which her appeals attorney later argued unfairly prejudiced the jury and should not have been allowed.

One question this raises for me is will Casey's partying (Fusian pictures) and illegal activities (Target shopping spree) after Caylee was last seen be allowed at trial? Do you think Baez is right to draw a parallel to the Sommer case?

I've also heard KC compared to Sam Shepherd. He was, after his death, found innocent based on new tech.

Neither of these comparisons seems valid, IMHO. We now HAVE the tech, The cutting edge of which is being used, in this case.

But....but....what about hocus pocus and bad science?:bang:

Oh well, baez may as well try this avenue now.:rolleyes:

imo

This was a hotly debated topic even after she was released There are those that still think she is guilty Click here for the WS thread and points of view

Baez's point is that many people had convicted this woman in the public and in court because of her behavior and she turned out to be innocent. The comparison is that even though there may be evidence that ca be construed as damning,things aren't always what they seem. Read the linked thread. He is just trying to cast doubt into people's minds.
Worth a shot. Don't think it'll help much.

Just watched the WESH news piece, Baez may try to blame Casey's actions after Caylee disappeared on "Ugly Coping", as it seems to be called.

But he's probably hoping that people will look at the "poisoned" aspect of the case that was overturned.

I just saw that too. It seems like "Ugly Coping" might be a good title for this whole case. :confused: I just re-watched an interview where Cindy said on LarryKL that only ONE of the photos circulating was confirmed to be taken after Caylee went missing. I know Cindy may be lying (bc her lips are moving :rolleyes:) but...does anyone know if that's true?

I'm just curious- I know there are people who can say she went out partying w/them but as to the photos--is it only the blue dress photos that were taken after the fact?

Several aspects of this case are worrisome to me- I think Jose might have been better served by (CLOSING his mouth OR) mentioning the Ramona Krotine case. The similarity being that things done after the death by the one closest to victim were HIGHLY suspicious but there was not a lot forensically. Ramona's husband-- had a mistress, didn't want to report her missing- just went to work, changed the carpet in the bdrm, hired a $2,400 cleaning crew, and then sawed the headboard up and burned it in the fireplace. :eek: He got off. :furious:

Okay - so this is yet another San Diego case I followed. Darn, there are too many cases close to home. I knew she didn't do it, it was so obvious, yet she was convicted (and eventually released). The cases could not be more polar opposite!

This young marine died of a heart arrythmia. She was convicted because she spent his insurance money a bit too tad fast, and didn't seem the grieving widow. She was arrested 3 YEARS after he passed on. I always believed this to be a political move and nothing else.

Regardless, On January 30, 2007, a jury found Cynthia guilty of murder, which carried with it a sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Suprisingly, Sentencing was postponed. On November 30, 2007, Judge Peter Deddeh granted a new trail, based on ineffective assistance of counsel during her first trial. The new trial was scheduled for May 14, 2008.

So if we want to find a tad bit of comparison - we can go for ineffective counsel, but that's about it (ARE YOU READING THIS JOSE)~

While I don't condone her behaviour, she was a woman who was on a downward spiral. Heaven forbid you have surgery for breast augmentation, have a few sexual relationships, have some loud parties at your house or go on a party trip to Tijuana with some friends.

The big difference is when her husband collapsed, she called 911 immediately and he died in the hospital. He wasn't killed and dumped in a wooded area.

All I can say is - JB you crack me up!

I think it's wonderful that JB is comparing these two cases.
It tells us
(a) He's trying desperately to find a way to exclude those pictures of KC partying; and
(b) This is the best thing he's found.

Good luck JB!

I've also heard KC compared to Sam Shepherd. He was, after his death, found innocent based on new tech.

Neither of these comparisons seems valid, IMHO. We now HAVE the tech, The cutting edge of which is being used, in this case.

Actually, the SS case is still quite controversial. His son was unsuccessful in "officially" clearing Sam's name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Sheppard

I think JB is stuck between a rock and a hard place with the fusion pics. On the one hand, if he allows them to be admitted they could possibly be unfairly prejudicial. On the other hand, if he excludes them, it will be a glaring absense to the jury. Everyone has seen these pics on tv. He would be hard pressed to find a jury who didn't know about them. If the pics are excluded, the jury may wonder what else is also being kept from them. Sometimes, hiding things from a jury and leaving them to speculate about it turns out to be way worse than just letting it in in the first place.

Is it possible that JB is creating exactly what he is claiming by showing this case? It occurs to me that maybe he is making media appearances, statements, claims, etc. knowing that it could be used to show ineffective counsel and grant KC a mistrial. I am afraid he may be trying to allude to his tactics. Talking about his defense "strategy" may be his defense strategy. Does that make sense?

If he knows he can't win against the evidence, then his best hope as an attorney is to make room for appeals or mistrials.

If this case goes the way of his other case then he may as well apply for a job at McDonalds. No one is going to hire an attorney that has two trials behind him where HE screwed up so bad the client may get another trial. Casey is going to hang regardless if it with Baez as her attorney or someone else. Baez won't be doing her any favors by messing the trial up on purpose. She will just sit in jail for another year waiting for her new trial. It doesn't make any sense to me. It isn't like the Pros will say "turn her loose..we aren't going to retry her." She isn't going to get away with the murder of that beautiful little girl.

Can someone tell me who will be the lead defense attorney of this case if Baez can't try a death penalty case? Linda Baden????????? :eek: :eek:

I just saw that too. It seems like "Ugly Coping" might be a good title for this whole case. :confused: I just re-watched an interview where Cindy said on LarryKL that only ONE of the photos circulating was confirmed to be taken after Caylee went missing. I know Cindy may be lying (bc her lips are moving :rolleyes:) but...does anyone know if that's true?

I'm just curious- I know there are people who can say she went out partying w/them but as to the photos--is it only the blue dress photos that were taken after the fact?

Several aspects of this case are worrisome to me- I think Jose might have been better served by (CLOSING his mouth OR) mentioning the Ramona Krotine case. The similarity being that things done after the death by the one closest to victim were HIGHLY suspicious but there was not a lot forensically. Ramona's husband-- had a mistress, didn't want to report her missing- just went to work, changed the carpet in the bdrm, hired a $2,400 cleaning crew, and then sawed the headboard up and burned it in the fireplace. :eek: He got off. :furious:

That was a "mis-statement." Definitely more than the blue dress pic. There was one night on Larry king, I believe, where cindy said there was only ONE picture and as she was saying it there were about 6 pictures being flashed behind her.LOL.:crazy:

There is a big difference here. Sommer's wild behavior occurred after her husband died. Casey's goes to her state of mind from the day her daughter went missing until Cindy called 911.

As was mentioned before, Casey lied to LE about her activities during those times.

Then, there is the "little detail" that her husband didn't die by poisoning. There was contamination in the lab!

I can see where JB is going to check out the tests thoroughly. What are the chances all the forensic matieral tested in this case will be contaminated just as badly?

My opinion would be there is NO chance the forensics in this case will be contaminated. I feel that with this case being SO high profile. And EVERYONE wanting to do right by Caylee, they were extra careful. Just my opinion, as always though.

Did I understand Nancy correctly that there is a new document dump the defense has with Amscot photos? If photos exist of KC messing around in that car or trunk, JB knows it is over.

I'm really hoping that is what the photos are. I don't think photos of JUST the car being there or being towed will do much good, as we already know those dates. So, seeing that action couldn't help. the only way I see this could possibly make any difference is, if KC is seen with the trunk open and messing in there.

However, on the other hand, hasn't she already gotten rid of the body (please forgive me saying the body. I hate to say Caylee in that way) by the time she ditches the car at Amscot?

And dang, when are these docs coming out? JB has had them for over a week now. I thought once he has them they have to be filed with the clerk's office at the same time. Whay the hold up this time? Anyone have any ideas, why?

Can someone tell me who will be the lead defense attorney of this case if Baez can't try a death penalty case? Linda Baden????????? :eek: :eek:

from everything I have read on this, JB does not have to do anyting differently, as long as he has DP qualified attorneys on her defense team. It may only be a matter of paper and having another name as "lead". I could be wrong here. This is how I understand it though.

Correct me, any of our legal eagles here though.

Okay - so this is yet another San Diego case I followed. Darn, there are too many cases close to home. I knew she didn't do it, it was so obvious, yet she was convicted (and eventually released). The cases could not be more polar opposite!

This young marine died of a heart arrythmia. She was convicted because she spent his insurance money a bit too tad fast, and didn't seem the grieving widow. She was arrested 3 YEARS after he passed on. I always believed this to be a political move and nothing else.

Regardless, On January 30, 2007, a jury found Cynthia guilty of murder, which carried with it a sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Suprisingly, Sentencing was postponed. On November 30, 2007, Judge Peter Deddeh granted a new trail, based on ineffective assistance of counsel during her first trial. The new trial was scheduled for May 14, 2008.

So if we want to find a tad bit of comparison - we can go for ineffective counsel, but that's about it (ARE YOU READING THIS JOSE)~

While I don't condone her behaviour, she was a woman who was on a downward spiral. Heaven forbid you have surgery for breast augmentation, have a few sexual relationships, have some loud parties at your house or go on a party trip to Tijuana with some friends.

The big difference is when her husband collapsed, she called 911 immediately and he died in the hospital. He wasn't killed and dumped in a wooded area.

All I can say is - JB you crack me up!

sorry, I'm responding to so many posts this am. This is a really interesting thread and the posts are great.

Here's another silly tidbit they used against Sommers. On the way to the hospital, she asked whoever was driving to stop and get a pack of cigarettes. they person who too her made a HUGE deal out of that. Saying if you truly were worried about your loved one, would you really need to stop and get cigarettes? UHM......YES! If anyone here smokes, you know it doesn't matter what is going on, if you're out of smokes, expecially in a stressful situation, you need to have them. I don't know how much she smoked. However, if it were like me, I would definitely be making that stop, even if my loved one was in the hospital. LOL! it's an addiction so deep that it does control all else. And especially, I don't think anyone in Sommers situation could really wrap their brain around the fact, he could die. I feel for me, it would just seem. ok, he's at the hospital now. He's very sick. but he's going to be ok now.

Just my 2 cents.

Resp. snipped:
On November 30, 2007, Judge Peter Deddeh granted a new trail, based on ineffective assistance of counsel during her first trial.

All I can say is - JB you crack me up![/QUOTE]

There seems to be more similarities in JB and CS's attorney than with KC and CS!! (bolded by me)

There is one common thread here, imo:

* Todd Sommer died in Cynthia's arms and she knew that no amount of grieving would bring him back...

* Caylee Anthony died at Casey's hand and Casey knew there was no amount of searching that would bring her back.

hmmm...

RE: IAC in the Sommer case -

While most of us agree that JB represents the word "ineffective", I have doubt about whether any judge would grant a new trial in the Anthony case based on this argument.

For one thing - does anyone think JB would take the stand and testify that he was indeed ineffective, the way Robert Udell did in the Cynthia Sommer case? umm, I don't think so. Too much ego there, imo.

"Sommer got a tattoo with her husband's name, birth date, date of death and the Latin words semper fidelis, or "always faithful," the Marine Corps motto."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-poison29nov29,0,702496.story?coll=la-home-center

There is something else the two have in common. They memorialized the death with a pretty tattoo!

Jose is anxious about the partying that she did afterward isn't he? He is looking for any angle he can find to keep that out because he knows that normal ordinary people are going to find that despicable, and the jury is likely to be filled with normal ordinary people. He has told us 2 things with this little tidbit. His client was behaving like a flooz directly after her daughter died and he may very well be ineffective counsel. Otherwise? NO WAY Jose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaggieX