Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it....just don't speak it. Russia is sounding more and more paradise-on-earth.

In reality, I'm curious if the population there is used to this authoritarianism on steroids, and/or if this is just becomes more evidence to the everyday Russian citizen that's something's really rotten in Denmark, aka Ukraine.

Sounds like Putin uses language and concepts to turn people on their heads; to believe the opposite of what is true.

"One of the most innovative aspects of A Clockwork Orange is the language Burgess’s protagonists employ.

Much like George Orwell with his ‘Newspeak’ in Nineteen-Eighty Four (1949), Burgess aimed to create a timeless language to depict his dystopian future, perhaps the reason why the novel has had such longevity. The language also removes the action of the novel from geographical location, and the city it is set in could stand for anywhere from Manchester to Leningrad, London to Los Angeles, or other even more distant locales."
A Clockwork Orange and Nadsat - The International Anthony Burgess Foundation

Bombadier Jet # 9742 MMAVP is in Male' in the Maldives.

Flew in yesterday from Moscow 8 hour, 3500 mile flight

Belongs to A. Rotenberg, according to Jack Sweeney

BFF of Mr. Putin and has been the object of US sanctions multiple times.

The airport in Male' looks like it takes up about half the island with the other half totally back-to-back buildings. It's not going to hold all that many private jets, especially if they are going to sequester their Boeing 737's there

Re A Rotenberg as mentioned above
This is the summary from a BBC article earlier today which I have just linked in another thread about Who’s Who in Russias inner circle

Billionaire brothers Boris and Arkady Rotenberg, who were childhood friends of the president, have long been close confidants too. In 2020, Forbes magazine named them as the richest family in Russia.

BBM

Russia-Ukraine war: Alex Ovechkin finds sympathy from Capitals GM amid invasion

It's sad that so many Russian citizens are being caught up in the frenzy. At our university, we are working closely with Ukrainian students, faculty, and staff, including visiting faculty, who have ties with Ukrain; and also with Russian students, faculty and staff, including visiting faculty, who have ties with Russia. We are providing support to all, regardless of viewpoint. At this week's faculty senate meeting, a resolution was passed against the Russian invasion of Ukraine, however we did have some abstentions, which is understandable since we have faculty and students from all over the world that represent many of the world's geopolitical divides.

As we are democratic countries...shouldn't there be a referendum so that the "people" can have a say in the choice of intervention by Nato or not.
The problem is @Bit of hope , you , I and the many good people here on WS , know probably more than the average as to what’s happening and the pro’s and con’s of this. But many do not and they’re will be given the vote too, quite rightly, but they may not fully comprehend or understand the consequences of their vote if it is for NATO to intervene. And that could most certainly mean WW3 because Putins biggest fear or concern rather is NATO engagement and he’s so irrational right now that it may force his hand to hit the nuclear button….

Watching all these private flights and large carrier flights to exotic places is making me want to stay at home even more.

I can't imagine flying to a foreign country for pleasure right now and now way at all would I get on a cruise ship.

Bunker mentality, I guess.

Last edited:
As we are democratic countries...shouldn't there be a referendum so that the "people" can have a say in the choice of intervention by Nato or not.

Please don’t get Brits involved in a referendum. We’ve had two in recent years, one ended with us divorcing Europe and the other with Boaty McBoatface.

No. We’re not to be trusted.

Finally found the video link of the security council meeting. But I’m still looking for the article referencing potential ill health concerns and change in behaviour displayed. Ukraine conflict: Who's in Putin's inner circle and running the war?

I've seen a number of articles discussing that Putin may be ill, but it's always "top secret" with speculation. No one has named the reason that he may have suddenly gone mad.

Ukraine, USSR, Russia, territory, war.

"It was during a bizarre meeting of Russia's security council, three days before the invasion, that Mr Patrushev pushed his view that the US's "concrete goal" was the break-up of Russia.

The session was an extraordinary piece of theatre, showing the president holding court behind a desk as one by one his security team walked up to a lectern and expressed their opinion on recognising the independence of Russian-backed rebels in Ukraine.

Nikolai Patrushev passed the test. "He's the one who has the chief battle cry, and there's a sense in which Putin has moved towards his more extreme position," says Ben Noble."
Ukraine conflict: Who's in Putin's inner circle and running the war?

Please don’t get Brits involved in a referendum. We’ve had two in recent years, one ended with us divorcing Europe and the other with Boaty McBoatface.

No. We’re not to be trusted.

And, if by referendum, you mean a nationwide vote in the USA.

Please, just don't Go There.

We're still trying to forget the last election fight.:eek:

Last edited:
I thought yesterday on flighttracker that I had seen a Vulcan over Poland or one of its neighbours with its very distinctive shape. But I haven’t seen it more recently. So I googled Vulcan just now to find out more about it and it seems that there aren’t any in flyable condition. I think it was American on flighttracker. Am I getting muddled or having hallucinations?

ETA: I voted for Boaty McBoatface - it made me laugh so much, although my husband fails to see the funny side.

I've seen a number of articles discussing that Putin may be ill, but it's always "top secret" with speculation. No one has named the reason that he may have suddenly gone mad.

"It was during a bizarre meeting of Russia's security council, three days before the invasion, that Mr Patrushev pushed his view that the US's "concrete goal" was the break-up of Russia.

The session was an extraordinary piece of theatre, showing the president holding court behind a desk as one by one his security team walked up to a lectern and expressed their opinion on recognising the independence of Russian-backed rebels in Ukraine.

Nikolai Patrushev passed the test. "He's the one who has the chief battle cry, and there's a sense in which Putin has moved towards his more extreme position," says Ben Noble."

I'm surprised that at his age, Putin hasn't realized that old adage: You can't go home again.

You just can't make it like it used to be. You can't become the child you used to be. You can't undo the divorce. You can't bring your parents back. You can't re-create Imperial Russia unless you make it into a Disneyworld Theme Park, and even then, the park closes and everyone takes their costumes off and goes home.

Life changes and you have to move on. Every country in the world is dealing with this, especially as instant global communcations means we don't wait for months for news from Poland or weeks for a ship bringing our tea from India.

I thought yesterday on flighttracker that I had seen a Vulcan over Poland or one of its neighbours with its very distinctive shape. But I haven’t seen it more recently. So I googled Vulcan just now to find out more about it and it seems that there aren’t any in flyable condition. I think it was American on flighttracker. Am I getting muddled or having hallucinations?

ETA: I voted for Boaty McBoatface - it made me laugh so much, although my husband fails to see the funny side.

I think there would be chatter on Flightradar24 about it if a recommissioned Avro Vulcan showed up under a USA badge, and I haven't seen anything like it.

There is a UK fighter plane that has a triangle icon on FR24. I can't remember the exact model but on the screen it looks triangular, like you'd expect a Vulcan to be, but it is not a true stealth-type design. I recall today that it was one of the guard planes for the RAF surveillance plane operating in eastern Romania.

Right now they are probably all tucked into bed in their base in Cyprus.

Last edited:

This was an article I read and it named the US dignitary who had some form of relationship with Putin whereby he had multiple dealings with him and he came out of a meeting and specifically said that he was authorised to say this and this only, no more details would be discussed. I am trying to find it because it was either aBBC article or a WS approved article but there are that many in circulation every 24 hours that I have to painstakingly go back through my internet search history

Finally found the video link of the security council meeting. But I’m still looking for the article referencing potential I’ll health concerns and change in behaviour displayed. Ukraine conflict: Who's in Putin's inner circle and running the war?

Maybe this one.
Russia President Putin's behavior raises mental health questions - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
BY LAURA KINGSTAFF WRITER
FEB. 28, 2022 4:03 PM PT

''Is he genuinely unbalanced, they ask, or just letting everyone think he is? Or some combination of the two? Or something else?
Some veteran observers are wary of drawing conclusions from afar.''

March 2, 2022
''But others who have kept a close eye on the 69-year-old Russian leader during his more than two decades in power believe some fundamental personality shift has occurred — whether because of physical illness, drawn-out isolation prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic, the insularity and sycophancy of Putin’s inner circle, or a burning sense of historical insult coupled with aspirations of imperial grandeur.

In recent photos and footage, he even looks different — puffy-faced and sometimes seeming to move stiffly.''

“I personally think he’s unhinged,” James Clapper, the former director of national intelligence, said Sunday on CNN. “I worry about his acuity and balance.”

Last edited:
@ZekeJMiller

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1499540979564654606
KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian government official says smoke visible from Europe’s largest nuclear plant as Russia attacks city of Enerhodar.

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Plant spokesman says Russian troops have begun shelling Europe's largest nuclear power station in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro