Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to give out a big Thank You to everybody here who is constantly finding information on what is happening in and about Ukraine and posting it. I don’t know where y’all are finding it all but it is much appreciated by myself and, I’m sure, a lot of others.
This is my go-to place for information on what’s happening in near real-time. Y’all are providing a wealth of info.

Biden will call out Putin for "premeditated and unprovoked" invasion of Ukraine in State of the Union address

From CNN's DJ Judd

US President Biden in [URL='https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/01/politics/sotu-biden-2022/index.html']his first State of the Union address
tonight will blast Russian President Vladimir Putin for a “premeditated and unprovoked” war, according to excerpts released by the White House.

“He rejected efforts at diplomacy. He thought the West and NATO wouldn’t respond,” Biden is expected to say. “And, he thought he could divide us here at home. Putin was wrong. We were ready.”

[/URL]
Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine and Vladimir Putin news

Interesting article, thanks. The Borg bit at the end made me laugh. He makes lots of good points.

(...)

Maclean’s spoke to Dr. Eric Ouellet, a professor at the Royal Military College’s Department of Defense Studies in Toronto and an expert on insurgencies. Ouellet broke down what might be in store for the Russians and why, if Putin is at all rational, he should avoid it at all costs.

(...)

Q: Why do you think a Ukrainian insurgency will be so costly for the Russians?

A: Well, the best way to understand what the Russians face is to look at what makes an insurgency successful. There are three main ingredients. One is legitimacy. The insurgent force has to be seen as legitimate by the population. That way they get all the logistics support they need—hiding weapons, hiding people, helping with transportation, money, recruits, etc. So that’s one aspect that makes Ukraine very strong from the get go.

The second characteristic is the insurgency’s actual capacity to inflict damage. In Ukraine, they have a very high level because of the military training they have received from countries like Canada, as well as the fighting in the Donbas region, where you have had independent Ukrainian battalions made up of volunteers. These people are still around, and they have real military experience.

The last characteristic of a successful insurgency is external support. Again, Ukraine is really starting at a very high level. The international community has shown that it is ready to back a long-term insurgency. All the pieces are in place. If the Russians try to go all the way–take Kyiv and Kharkiv and the rest of the country–and put a puppet government in place, that government will have zero legitimacy; it will face a very well-organized insurgency that has deep support.

(...)

Q: Can an insurgency win here? Or what does winning look like?

A: One of the things a lot of people often misunderstand about an insurgency is that it is not about winning militarily; it is always about politics. The goal of the insurgents is to change the strategic thinking of their enemy.

(...)

Q: It’s hard to imagine the Russians didn’t consider an insurgency. In fact, President Joe Biden warned back in December that the U.S. would support an insurgency if Russia occupied Ukraine. So what was Putin thinking?

A: I think he just made errors in calculation. First, he really underestimated the Ukrainian military. He really thought Russia would do a blitzkrieg and it would be over. He was like the Borg in Star Trek, saying: You will be assimilated; resistance is futile. That was the first miscalculation.

The second miscalculation was he underestimated the west’s ability to unite in its actions against Russia. Again, Russia is an autocratic country so decision making happens with Putin and his close buddies. Errors of calculus become more likely when there are fewer people involved in thinking through an issue.

(...)

Why Russia should fear the coming insurgency in Ukraine

Sounds like the generals are maybe having a meeting? Is that a big transport plane or just a two seater?

It's a big plane, but it looked headed to Krasnodar, which probably has an air base. Several flights have been on the same route south from Moscow to various points, and they all make a 45 degree turn to the west about 100 miles north of Putin's lil cabin.

Last edited:
OOOh.

Russian Air Force RA 23049 just popped up on the screen, in a little town north of Putin's Palace. It looks like the town is called "Adler".

It has no call sign, craft type, elevation or air speed notated yet.

And a second Russian n Air Force RA 23012 is at the same airport.

I think 23049 might be lining up on the runway.

It's about 2 am there.

Last edited:
The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·36m⚡️Ukraine’s Air Force, along with units of the army and territorial defense, destroyed a large Russian military convoy near the city of Bashtanka in Ukraine’s southern Mykolaiv region.
Military bloggers reported that the convoy contained up to 800 vehicles.

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·13m⚡️Russian forces fired a cruise missile at an apartment building nearby Zhytomyr’s Pavlusenko hospital. 2 people are confirmed to have been killed & 3 injured.
Adviser to the Interior Minister Anton Herashchenko says the missile was aimed at the base of Zhytomyr’s 95th Brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmjordan75