Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Just something to think about...

So many of our everyday products could be affected by sanctions, restrictions, oligarch-partnered companies. One example is International Paper (who has been doing business in Russia and China for many years) involving wealthy Zakhar Smushkin (Ilim Group). How many US companies purchase paper/pulp products from International Paper and their subsidiaries (like Hammermill)? Where do we and our offices, schools, hospitals, restaurants obtain our printer paper, disposable cups, napkins, diapers, etc? I don't the answer but this is just another example of how Putin is affecting everyone's lives to a degree. However, this is absolutely nothing (to say the least) compared to the price Ukrainians are paying... as Putin is horrifically taking their lives.
all jmo

<Modnsip: Not an approved source>

https://www.internationalpaper.com/...stimarksutton20170717en.pdf?sfvrsn=aad3a033_2

Press Release of International Paper Company

A very valid point, IMO, and we should have learned our lesson when Covid started.

Remember how we didn't have enough masks and had to get them from China? And so many other medical supplies that we outsourced and had trouble getting? And everyday things like toilet paper?

There was so much talk two years ago that America had to stop outsourcing the manufacture of vital supplies to other countries that cost less. Where did that idea go?

We really really need to seriously manufacture our own vital supplies here. Even if it costs more. Look what happens when we need foreign oil, paper, medical supplies etc. IMO we end up paying so much more, financially and morally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russia Is Now Claiming the US Trained Birds to Deliver Ukrainian Bioweapons

For example, the Kremlin’s latest claim is that the U.S. has trained an army of migratory birds to carry bioweapons developed by the Ukrainian army, and that said birds are preparing to fly into Russia and deploy those bioweapons.
This message wasn’t seeded on some fringe message board by a conspiracy theory-addled extremist: It was boosted by Major General Igor Konashenkov, the chief spokesman for the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, who was speaking on camera Thursday about this outrageous (and entirely fictional) plot.
There’s no point really engaging in this delusion, but, for the record, birds cannot be trained to attack targets in Russia, or anywhere else, with bioweapons.
Pigeons were famously used in both World Wars for sending communications and there was also Project Pigeon, a U.S. Army experiment in which pigeons were trained to sit inside missiles in an attempt to guide the weapons to their targets. It never worked.

(To be strictly accurate I don't think the Russians ever claimed the birds would be 'trained', more that migratory birds would be infected and used. Still silly nonetheless)

I knew he put his daughter in a Skinner box
I didn’t know about the pigeons

It's a bird! It's a plane!

Pigeon pilots

Attachments

• 86F52ED4-5E96-4FF0-85BA-05332CCA077A.jpeg
    86F52ED4-5E96-4FF0-85BA-05332CCA077A.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 8
I love boxing, pull up fights on U T and watch, watched a Fight the other nite, Vitali Klitschko from Ukraine. I didn’t know he is the Mayor of Kyiv.

Kyiv's mayor learns from the IDF how to defend Ukraine

https://m.jpost.com/international/article-700968

The former World Boxing Organization heavyweight champion knocked out dozens of boxers from around the world during his first career.
But Klitschko, who then shifted to politics and has been the mayor of Ukraine’s capital since 2014, has never faced a fight like the current one against Russia.
O/T
Did you know his brother shares a child with actress Hayden Panettiere?

I shared a couple of PBS Frontline documentaries yesterday. Since then, I have found some more, under the heading "The Putin Files." Here is the PBS YT playlist link:
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_pPc6-qR9Zzqyps3_JmrNG6h2kMXGfEE

I've only watched one of them so far, and that is the one with Julia Ioffe. It's long, but I thought it gave a fascinating insight into Putin, and the events that have led up to this war. Although it was uploaded 4 years ago, the information and opinions are still relevant IMO.

Some information about Julia Ioffe:
Julia Ioffe - Wikipedia

<RSBM>
Analysing social media (interpol.int)
“Once terrorist information is shared at the global level, every traffic check, passport control or random search holds the potential for a break in a terrorism investigation or to foil a plot.”Jürgen Stock, INTERPOL Secretary General''

I see that Interpol has now restricted Russia from directly entering data into the global police organisation network. Anything they want to enter will be vetted first.

Interpol is restricting Russia’s ability to input information directly into the global police organization’s vast network, deciding that communications must first be checked by the general secretariat in Lyon, France.

The French Foreign Ministry said Friday that the beefed-up surveillance measures follow “multiple suspicions of attempted fraudulent use” of the Interpol system in recent days, but it did not elaborate.

Interpol stressed in a statement Thursday that it is maintaining its pledge of neutrality amid war between two of its members, triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. But it said that “heightened supervision and monitoring measures” of Moscow’s National Central Bureau were needed “to prevent any potential misuse of Interpol’s channels” like targeting individuals in or outside Ukraine.

Interpol: Russia’s ability to input info into global police network restricted

Attack on Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant much more serious than first reported!

Video analysis reveals Russian attack on Ukrainian nuclear plant veered near disaster

There's a terrorist attack being planned by Russians at Chernobyl, according to Ukraine Ministry of Defense.

"Russian forces in control of the plant "refused to grant access to the station to Ukrainian repair people," Ukraine's Ministry of Defense said in the statement on Friday. Among the engineers sent from Belarus, it claimed, were Russian "saboteurs" pretending to be nuclear scientists who came "to organize a terrorist attack."

Ukraine says Russia's Putin has "ordered the preparation of a terrorist attack" on Chernobyl nuclear plant

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20220311_185745.jpg
    20220311_185745.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 31
@Reevellp

Grim development from one of the southern Ukrainian cities under Russian occupation. Ukraine says the mayor of Melitopol, Ivan Fedorov, who had insisted the city remained Ukrainian, was kidnapped by Russian forces today- CCTV shows him led away. He has been charged with terrorism

https://twitter.com/Reevellp/status/1502427476194123779?s=20&t=Qs7I2yhvXoDgPTUwnKKXsg

I can see, somewhere down the line, this poor man being used in a diplomat/prisoner trade with Ukraine or someone. Being used as some kind of bargaining chip.

Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine (cnn.com)
''17 min ago rbbm.
Explosions heard near Kyiv as Russian troops press closer to Ukraine's capital

CNN teams in Kyiv reported hearing explosions in the early hours of Saturday morning, with chief international correspondent Clarissa Ward describing "a nonstop volley ... of just heavy booms in the distance," continuing for several minutes.

It's not clear whether the explosions were Russian or Ukrainian strikes, she said.

Fighting is continuing on the outskirts of the Ukrainian capital, with the city's administration saying areas to the north remain the most dangerous, including the suburbs of Bucha, Irpin and Hostomel, as well as the district of Vyshorod further north of Kyiv. Fighting has also escalated in Brovary, across the Dnieper River, east of the city.

As Russian forces press in from several directions, "the worry becomes ... that the intention is to fully surround the city, to starve the city, to bombard the city and then ultimately to try to overthrow (Ukrainian President Volodymyr) Zelensky's government," Ward said.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko told CNN the city currently only has resources — including food and medical supplies — for one to two weeks.

CNN's Ward added that "Ukrainian forces are everywhere" in Kyiv. "They have dug up defensive positions along all the main thoroughfares leading into the city, they've put tank traps around. This is a heavily fortified city now. And even if Russian forces are enable to encircle it, it will still be an almighty battle for them to get to the heart of it."

''55 min ago
UK Defense Ministry: Russian airstrikes have targeted cities of Lutsk and Ivano-Frankivsk
Russian air and missile forces have conducted strikes against the western Ukrainian cities of Lutsk and Ivano-Frankivsk in the past 24 hours, the UK Ministry of Defence said in its latest intelligence update on Friday.

"The staunch resistance of the Ukrainian air defence forces is compelling Russia to rely on 'stand-off' munitions to conduct attacks against targets deep inside Ukraine," the ministry said.
The ministry added that Russian tactical aircraft supporting ground forces are relying on "unguided 'dumb' munitions," which are "relatively inaccurate and indiscriminate and their use significantly increases the likelihood of civilian casualties."

This is one lay what led Russia to invade:

West made mistake in promising Ukraine NATO membership: Borrell

This professor called it and blamed the West in 2015 after Russia invaded Crimea:

He explains the situation very clearly. I’m not sure I agree with all he says. But at this point I’m thinking the best bet is if Ukraine agreed not to join NATO/EU with conditions. Maybe Putin will leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper