Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a list of the American or other international companies that have not decided to temporarily pause their business dealings in Russia? I doubt that Koch Industries is the only one, and each one has their own reasons if they decide to pause their business dealings or not. Even Germany is still buying oil and gas from Russia. We'll never get 100% across the Board sanctions from every country and business. JMO.
March 11 2022
Lots more detail at link.
The Western firms that have not cut Russia ties over Ukraine
''A shrinking number of well-known companies are still doing business in Russia, even as hundreds have announced plans to curtail ties.

Burger King restaurants are open, Eli Lilly is supplying drugs, and PepsiCo is selling milk and baby food, but no more soda.''

''Take Japanese clothing chain Uniqlo, which drew negative attention after the CEO of its parent company told the Nikkei newspaper in a story published on Tuesday that the reason to keep nearly 50 Russian stores open was that: “clothing is a necessity of life”. By Thursday, Uniqlo said it would close the stores.

“There’s potentially a big downside of companies to be on the wrong side of this,” Lovely said.''

''The response from industrial food producers has been complicated by Russia’s role as a major exporter of wheat and other commodities.

Bunge, which has assets of $121m in Russia, said on Thursday that its Russian oilseed plant will operate and serve the domestic market, but that it has suspended “any new export business”. Farm equipment maker John Deere said it has stopped machine shipments to Russia; it is monitoring a Russian plant that makes seeding equipment and its dealer network in the country “day by day.” Cargill and ADM, other agriculture companies, have not responded to questions.''
INTERACTIVE_COMPANIES_LEAVING_RUSSIA-04.jpg

<snip>
Even Germany is still buying oil and gas from Russia. We'll never get 100% across the Board sanctions from every country and business. JMO.

To be fair, Germany has no choice but to buy Russian oil and gas, they would soon be unable to heat their homes, drive their cars, or produce the energy needed for industry. Same goes for other countries who do not have their own natural resources.

Boycott of Russian gas and oil ‘could cause mass poverty in Germany’ | Germany | The Guardian

China Doubles Down on Support for Ukraine, Backs Peace Talks to End War

China's Foreign Ministry is standing by a bold statement by its ambassador to Ukraine— who pledged Beijing's economic and political support for Kyiv—but is still refusing to rebuke Russia openly.

The envoy, Fan Xianrong, told officials in Lviv that China and Ukraine were "strategic partners" celebrating three decades of formal diplomatic relations.

"China is a friendly country for the Ukrainian people. As an ambassador, I can responsibly say that China will forever be a good force for Ukraine, both economically and politically," he said, according to state news agency Ukrinform.

"We will always respect your state, we will develop relations on the basis of equality and mutual benefit. We will respect the path chosen by Ukrainians because this is the sovereign right of every nation," he said on Monday.

On Thursday, at a regular press briefing in Beijing, the Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said: "China of course supports the statement by the Chinese ambassador. China supports all efforts that are conducive to easing the situation in Ukraine and a political settlement."

Muscovites Say Goodbye To McDonald's

I hope that link works, it’s a video of Russians explaining why they’ll miss McDonalds. One man comments that you just don’t see young people laughing and having fun in Russian cafes, others note the unique atmosphere and have fond memories with their friends.

Seems like apart from fast food McD’s also brought a bit of Western atmosphere and culture with it, in terms of social behaviours.

Interesting (riveting) story.

A Ukrainian Town Deals Russia One of the War’s Most Decisive Routs

VOZNESENSK, Ukraine—A Kalashnikov rifle slung over his shoulder, Voznesensk’s funeral director, Mykhailo Sokurenko, spent this Tuesday driving through fields and forests, picking up dead Russian soldiers and taking them to a freezer railway car piled with Russian bodies—the casualties of one of the most comprehensive routs President Vladimir Putin’s forces have suffered since he ordered the invasion of Ukraine.

Ukrainian officers estimated that some 100 Russian troops died in Voznesensk, including those whose bodies were taken by retreating Russian troops or burned inside carbonized vehicles. As of Tuesday, 11 dead Russian soldiers were in the railway car turned morgue, with search parties looking for other bodies in nearby forests. Villagers buried some others.

Final ETA. I think I misunderstood carbonized vehicle, thinking it was a way to "carbonize" bodies. I think they just mean burned out military vehicles. Sorry.

Last edited:
China Doubles Down on Support for Ukraine, Backs Peace Talks to End War

China's Foreign Ministry is standing by a bold statement by its ambassador to Ukraine— who pledged Beijing's economic and political support for Kyiv—but is still refusing to rebuke Russia openly.

The envoy, Fan Xianrong, told officials in Lviv that China and Ukraine were "strategic partners" celebrating three decades of formal diplomatic relations.

"China is a friendly country for the Ukrainian people. As an ambassador, I can responsibly say that China will forever be a good force for Ukraine, both economically and politically," he said, according to state news agency Ukrinform.

"We will always respect your state, we will develop relations on the basis of equality and mutual benefit. We will respect the path chosen by Ukrainians because this is the sovereign right of every nation," he said on Monday.

On Thursday, at a regular press briefing in Beijing, the Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said: "China of course supports the statement by the Chinese ambassador. China supports all efforts that are conducive to easing the situation in Ukraine and a political settlement."

The poet, Mary Howitt wrote in 1829:

Said the cunning spider to the fly, "Dear friend, what shall I do,
To prove the warm affection I've always felt for you?
I have, within my pantry, good store of all that's nice;
I'm sure you're very welcome – will you please to take a slice?"
"Oh no, no!" said the little fly, "kind sir, that cannot be,"
I've heard what's in your pantry, and I do not wish to see."

MOO

Last edited:
Fair question.... but how to answer?? I just don't think we have lived in this tumultuous a time, with media coverage...... EVER. This is such unchartered territory and horror.
I, for one, have found Al Jazerra to be pretty solid showing multiple views, but I do not follow them constantly .... but I am posting a recent post of theirs to keep engaging your question.. I would appreciate others opinions to Aljazerra, AND your more global question......

Mariupol shelling resumes after talks produce no ceasefire deal
My opinion about Al Jazerra. I'd trust its reporting way before the dailymail.

Muscovites Say Goodbye To McDonald's

I hope that link works, it’s a video of Russians explaining why they’ll miss McDonalds. One man comments that you just don’t see young people laughing and having fun in Russian cafes, others note the unique atmosphere and have fond memories with their friends.

Seems like apart from fast food McD’s also brought a bit of Western atmosphere and culture with it, in terms of social behaviours.
I am sorry that young Russians can't laugh and have fun now that McDonald's is gone. They can blame Putin for that. This is Putin's doing.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1504561685054439430?t=-kVRk5x9c-C7wWEmB993Pw&s=19

UN humanitarian convoys cannot enter #Sumy and #Mariupol, the head of the World Health Organization said at a meeting of the #UN Security Council. https://t.co/lVsJDSgoKG

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1504551264243363848?t=hlXy6n3LeZLBoIY2IVdKSg&s=19

2,000 Mariupol residents managed to evacuate in their own cars today. 20,000 evacuated Tuesday

Those who walk on foot will be taken by bus 15 km away,–PresidOffice КИРИЛО ТИМОШЕНКО Kirill Timoshenko

️byMP: In damaged cars people are trying to leave Mariupol,6pm Log in or sign up to view https://t.co/h4My2Agick

UN Security Council meeting regarding humanitarian concerns:

(Russia is spouting lies as usual).
ETA: Russia ended their presentation by stating that they will request another meeting to discuss "US biolabs"

Last edited:
My opinion about Al Jazerra. I'd trust its reporting way before the dailymail.

Al Jazeera is a Qatari media company and has been criticised in the past for being biased against some other Arabic nations and putting a favourable slant on Qatar and it’s friends.

However, for non-Arabic international news, I agree, they’re way ahead of the sensationalistic, headline grabbing, scoop hungry, fact shy, revenue spinning British tabloids.

*Except for the photos. I always have to add this disclaimer ;)

'This year is different' - Irish landmarks to light up blue and yellow for Paddy's Day

Irish landmarks will be lighting up with the colours of the Ukrainian flag this St Patrick's Day.

The Office of Public Works (OPW) today (Wednesday March 16) announced the change from the typical green Ireland is known for to blue and yellow to express solidarity with the people of Ukraine.

The OPW has for many years symbolically "greened" Ireland's most iconic heritage sites on St Patrick's Day, but called this year "different"

In a statement released today, Minister for the Office of Public Works and Flood Relief, Patrick O’Donovan, said, "This year is different, however, and even as we look forward to marking St Patrick’s Day with our friends and loved ones, we think of the people of Ukraine whose lives, safety and sovereignty are at risk.

"For them and for the eyes of the world, we send a message of solidarity by illuminating 41 Irish landmarks across the country in the colours of Ukraine tonight and over the St Patrick’s Day weekend to underline that the people of Ireland stand with Ukraine."

(I also wore blue and yellow today rather than the usual green and loads of other people did the same. The local St Patrick's Day parade was full of Ukrainian flags.)

Meanwhile in Ukraine...

Ukrainian soldiers wish Ireland a 'happy St Patrick's Day' from the trenches

Attachments

• FN-f1-wWUAU0TGF.jpeg
    FN-f1-wWUAU0TGF.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 42
There is a Ukraine woman (zoomed) on our morning news (Friday morning here).

She spent 42 days undergoing civilian training with the Ukraine military immediately prior to Russia's attack.

She says that Russia thought they were going to be fighting the Ukraine military. Little did they know that they would be fighting every man, woman, child, elder, that they encountered in Ukraine.

Source: Ch7 TV news

UN Security Council meeting regarding humanitarian concerns:

(Russia is spouting lies as usual).
ETA: Russia ended their presentation by stating that they will request another meeting to discuss "US biolabs"

"Humanitarian" doesn't exist for Putin nor his inner circle. Will Russian troops ever acknowledge what they are doing?

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member