Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Russian Lab Explosion Raises Question: Should Smallpox Virus Be Kept Or Destroyed?

I'm not very concerned about bio research labs that partner with the US and are kept safe, secure and guarded.

What I've worried about long, long before Covid is about Russia being one of only two countries in the world to have stored samples of smallpox.

As smallpox is the only virus ever to have been fully eradicated, I've never quite understood why samples are contained at the CDC in Atlanta and at a lab in Siberia. But I’m not a scientist, and I know that scientists have debated for decades whether or not these samples should be destroyed.

Also for decades, I’ve read about much of the world being concerned that the USSR, now again called Russia, would be one of the countries to have it. That’s due to mistrust in the various leadership of the country.

This article is from 2019 regarding the explosion that occurred in the Russian lab housing the smallpox sample. The article therefore is not about the present tragedy in Ukraine.

I’m posting it because in light of this present discussion about bio labs and Putin promising to do something drastic, this would be my actual fear. I cannot imagine that even Putin would unleash something like smallpox because he could not control the spread if he decided to let it loose. But one never knows what he may do.

IMO this talk about Ukraine planning a bio warfare attack is complete Russian disinformation. It’s junk talk. But in real life,Putin does have access to smallpox.

What I really wonder is whether smallpox vaccines are still available. Although, if old stories about "variolation" are to be believed, it is pretty easy to vaccinate, if you have a needle, a thread and the liquid contents of smallpox blister.

'They were shooting civilians': Ukraine refugees saw abuses | AP News
As more than 2 million refugees from Ukraine begin to scatter throughout Europe and beyond, some are carrying valuable witness evidence to build a case for potential war crimes.

[...]

He heard gunshots as he crossed and saw corpses along the road.

“The Russians promised to provide a (humanitarian) corridor which they did not comply with. They were shooting civilians,” he said. “That’s absolutely true. I witnessed it. People were scared.”

[...]

“Yes, I saw corpses of civilians,” said Ilya Ivanov, who reached Poland after fleeing a village outside Sumy where Russian forces rolled through. “They shoot at civilians with machine guns.”

[...]

Russian- and Ukrainian-speaking trained psychologists are badly needed, Vitorino said, as more traumatized witnesses join those fleeing.

[...]

("Barbaric" "Evil" "Unfathomable" ... We are going to run out of adjectives for what is being done to the people of Ukraine. :( MOO)

O/t but I was just looking at a satellite map of Odessa, and further south west there is a really long strip of land between the Black Sea and a few inland lagoons, must be 50 miles long. I love little quirks of geography. Here’s a bit of it, looks beautiful:

View attachment 336115

Odessa, the "pearl at the sea", the city of unique culture and mixed ethnicities, is renowned for one major thing, the humor of its inhabitants. It is really funny, lots of writers, poets and standup comedians came from Odessa, but the regular population is also very humorous. And - this is the first thing everyone remembers when Odessa is mentioned.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 26 minutes ago
Humanitarian crisis deepens in Mariupol. Humanitarian aid has not been able to reach the besieged southern city for the 6th day in a row, mayor Vadym Boychenko said in a video appeal. The evacuation of Mariupol’s civilians has failed as well due to incessant shelling.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 9 minutes ago
Russian air strikes hit Dnipro, Lutsk, Ivano-Frankivsk early on March 11. Three airstrikes by Russian forces hit residential areas in Dnipro, killing one person, according to Ukraine’s State Emergency Service.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
Explosions were reported in western Ivano-Frankivsk near its airport, according to the city’s mayor Ruslan Martsinkiv.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
Four explosions were also reported near an airfield in the northwestern city of Lutsk, according to the head of the Volyn Regional State Administration, Yuriy Pohulyayko.

NEXTA on Twitter - 31 minutes ago
The situation in #Mariupol is critical, with the city being bombed every half hour. #Russian aviation is firing shells mostly at residential areas. Mayor Boychenko told that the occupiers use banned weapons.

NEXTA on Twitter
After a series of explosions something caught fire in #Lutsk. Presumably the Motor plant. There is also information about explosions in #Dnipro, #Rivne and #Volyn regions.
FNirTovVgAYJpw7
FNirTqjVQAU0R4X
FNirTsOVIAc_WAe
FNirTurUYAIC84B

NEXTA on Twitter - Video (so awful...)
Around 06:10 in Novokodatsky, a district of #Dnipro, there were three #airstrikes on the city, namely a hit near a kindergarten and an apartment building, and a hit on a two-story shoe factory with subsequent combustion. Preliminarily one person was killed.

WOW
Mariupol is only about 37 miles (~60 km) from the Russian border right there on the Black Sea. It borders the Sea of Azov, which is totally bordered by Russian land (if you also consider the Crimean Penninsula to be Russian)

I honestly don't know how Ukraine can hold it. Russia can very easily attack it from the air, from land, and by sea and as Russia is controlling the northwestern Black Sea it's really impossible for the Allies to provide any air or maritime support without overflying Ukraine or the "Russian" international waters as drawn from the Crimean penninsula.

The more I look a the geography, the more I'm convinced Putin has been plotting this war since he took Crimea in 2014
Perhaps its's time to consider surrendering it to save all those lives

My dad said there would be war with Ukraine in 2013, watching clashes between the police and Maidan in Kiev. I didn't believe him, blamed it on his old age.

It is very concerning to me that so many people fall victim to conspiracy theories, misinformation, and outright propaganda. Please be wary of where you get your news. I have found the following to be reliable:

BBC
PBS
DW
AP
Reuters
NYT
WP
WSJ
The Guardian
ITV NEWS

I think that the following are usually factually accurate, but I do not care for their sensationalism (ETA and bias).

ABC
NBC
CBS
SKY
CNN

Good for pictures, but not much else:

Daily Mail.

ETA: Guide from the library service at CUNY's school of journalism on evaluating news, facts, and news sources.
CSI Library: Misinformation and Disinformation: Thinking Critically about Information Sources: Definitions of Terms

I mostly read SVT news it is Swedish state owned news funded by tax payers. I find them reliable and trustworthy.

Sveriges Television (SVT)

This is of course Swedish so not useful for most of you.

From English sources I like
BBC and Reuters mostly I find them reliable and also DW ( Deutsche Welle) is German state owned news agency which has English website I like them lots too.

I found an interactive map for the world's deadly germ studies:

A New Interactive Map Reveals Where the Deadliest Germs Are Studied

jmo... I think the bio research facility talk is a mole hill that became a mountain due to Russian lies and dumb twitters (QAnon).

According to the map Ukraine doesn't have a bio research facility, at least not ones that make biological weapons. Belarus has 1 and Russia 2. If there is one and I don't believe that, certainly not a US lab, it must be a secret one. So far Russia is spitting out accusations, but as far as I understood, they were not able to proof the existence of it. Which would be easy if Russian soldiers stumbled on to it, as is said by Russia. So where is it?

Last edited:
This from 2005

Threat Reduction Program Extends Reach to Ukrainian Biological Facilities

Threat Reduction Program Extends Reach to Ukrainian Biological Facilities | Arms Control Association

U.S. cooperation with Ukraine under the Nunn-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction (CTR) program was expanded Aug. 29 with an agreement to use U.S. CTR funds to improve security for pathogens stored at biological research and health facilities in the former Soviet republic.

The agreement was signed during the visit to Kiev of a high-level U.S. delegation led by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) and Senator Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

Among the facilities in Ukraine intended to receive security upgrades are those once linked to the Soviet-era anti-plague network, which continue to store libraries of naturally occuring pathogens for the purposes of research and public health. Andy Fisher, spokesperson for Lugar, told Arms Control Today on Sept. 15 the anti-plague facilities “were threats and they are threats,” given the risk that poor security could allow terrorists access to pathogens. Fisher also cited the possibility that outdated operating procedures and equipment could result in the unintentional leakage of pathogens from these facilities, endangering the public health of the region.

Completely bizarre. 'Twijfels in Rusland over verloop invasie' • Ministerie Oekraïne: 108 miljard euro schade

AN HOUR AGO

Putin: Middle East volunteers allowed to fight for Russia

President Putin has given thousands of fighters from the Middle East the green light to fight against Ukraine. At a meeting of the Russian Security Council, he said Russia should welcome them and make sure they reach the areas where they are most needed. "If you see that there are people who want to come of their own accord, not for money, to help the people in the Donbas, then we have to give them what they want and help them reach the conflict zone."

According to the defense minister, 16,000 volunteers are ready to fight alongside the Russian troops. Earlier, The Wall Street Journal reported that Russia is recruiting Syrians who have extensive experience fighting in urban areas.

Of people coming from other countries to help Ukraine, Putin said: "We are aware of this and it goes against all norms."

'Fear and lies': How Putin wants Russia to see the war

"It’s smarter to be free and to try to report something from abroad, than to sit in jail," says Tikhon Dziadko, editor in chief with Dozhd, an independent TV station that until earlier this month was able to broadcast from Moscow.

Now he is sitting with his colleagues in Istanbul, Turkey, having fled his own country.

On Thursday 3 March, everything changed for him, when Russia announced strict new laws including a potential 15-year jail term for those who questioned its invasion of Ukraine.

(...)

"Vladimir Putin, I think, he decided that all the games in democracy, all the games in pretending that there is some sort of law in Russia, all these games are over," said Mr Dziadko, speaking to French station ARTE.

"This is a brand new world, I don't like this world, but that's what I have to face."

(...)

The bombing of the children's hospital in the southern Ukrainian port of Mariupol this week was dismissed by Russian officials as "fake news". Russia claimed the former maternity hospital had long been taken over by troops.

(...)

"The majority of Russians get their news from state-controlled TV channels," says Olga Irisova, editor-in-chief of the website Riddle which seeks to explain Russia to the outside world.

She argues that Russian authoritarianism rests on three pillars: a relatively stable economy that is currently being shaken by biting sanctions, leaving two final pillars, "fear and lies". (BBM)

(...)

"The main narrative of Russian state TV media are now pushing is that the West provoked Russia, is that the West actually implemented the so-called 'Nazi' regime in Kyiv and this Ukrainian regime has been engaged in genocide of Russian speaking people in Eastern Ukraine for eight years," she says.

She says people in Russia are very sensitive towards this narrative "because in almost every Russian family there are some relatives that were killed during the Second World War and unfortunately most of the TV viewers, they buy this narrative".

She says the narrative also seeks to portray the Russian military and its soldiers and "liberators" of Ukraine, opposing the nationalists there. They are also denying that they are targeting civilians.

Instead, she says the Russian state-controlled media says: "The Ukrainian army are using people as live shields…That's how they are trying to frame what’s going on."

As unbelievable as this may seem to people who are used to a more free and questioning media in the West, she says many people will continue to buy into this narrative, particularly when the alternative is too terrible to contemplate.

"That's an important psychological part of this process," she says, even for those who feel deep down that something is not right:

"For Russian society, the older generation especially, it's really hard to believe that Russia could have attacked Ukraine. In that situation, we are the invaders, we are the bad guys and from a psychological point of view, it is just easier to believe the official narrative, that we are liberators, fighting for a good cause."

(...)

"The Russian media system has moved from a place where there was a limited and constrained spectrum of views to unanimous propaganda," says Felix Light, a journalist with the Moscow Times who has now left the capital, along with much of the foreign media there.

(...)

Mr Light says that whilst he lived in Moscow, there were always two camps of so-called 'independent' media in Russia: the ones implacably opposed to the system "who would go after Putin's family and report on corruption"; and the ones who were "liberal, independent and opposition minded, but also who had made their compromises with the system and still had their connections".

"They had friends in high places in the Russian political system but what this war has meant that all of that is not any use. Even these people are fair game for repression now."

(...)

Russia's Novaya Gazeta newspaper, whose editor Dmitry Muratov was a co-winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize, said last week it would remove material on Russia's military actions in Ukraine from its website, because of the censorship.

However, the newspaper said it would continue to report on the consequences that Russia is facing, including a deepening economic crisis and the persecution of dissidents.

(...)

On the day of Russia's invasion of Ukraine last week, he told the BBC: "Our peace-loving Russian people will now feel the hatred of the world because we are starting a third world war in the centre of Europe."

Ms Irisova says the fact that this publication is remaining, in some capacity is important.

"It's a very hard choice. It's either you are closed down completely, or you are repeating the lies of Russian propaganda," she says.

She says Novaya Gazeta announced its new editorial policy alongside a picture of a nuclear bomb, which was "very telling" and a message she says readers of the publication would understand.

(...)

Earlier this week, Russian actor Jean-Michel Scherbak wrote on social media that he was ashamed his country had started a war in Ukraine.

He said his mother, a long-time supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin, blocked him online.

The 30-year-old actor who is based in Europe says: "She texted me on Facebook saying that I was a traitor and that I had made my choice."

The falling out between families over this conflict is something Olga Irisova says she is also aware of. "The younger generation is more aware of what is going on in Ukraine," she says.

"Russian society is very polarised and divided right now, and I have also heard from my friends that unfortunately their relatives, their parents, they became victims of propaganda. Some of my friends who also live abroad and not in Russia, they also got messages from their relatives asking, 'Are you ok? We've heard that Russians are being beaten in Berlin or in London just for being Russians, and that's actually another narrative that Russian propaganda pushes."

She says that some parents have told their Russian children living abroad: "You don't know about Nazis, you are brainwashed by Western propaganda."

(...)

In almost every area of Russian society, there has been division over Russia’s invasion.

In the western region of Kostroma, police detained a Russian Orthodox priest, Father Ioann Burdin, over his church sermon against the war and a link he had posted to an anti-war petition.

However, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill has voiced support for Russia’s "special operation", saying Russian values were being tested by the West, which offered "only excessive consumption and the illusion of freedom".

(...)

An opinion poll published by Russian state polling agency VTsIOM last weekend, found Vladimir Putin’s approval rating had risen 6 percentage points to 70% in the week to 27 February, as the invasion of Ukraine began.

FOM, which provides research for the Kremlin, also said President Putin’s rating had risen 7 percentage points to 71% in the same period.

OpenDemocracy.net says it is important to note that Russian opinion polls are often used by the Kremlin to claim that the invasion is supported by the Russian public and it is not clear how the pool of people to poll is chosen.

(...)

Journalist Felix Light says it would be a mistake to believe that there is little Russian support for the war: "It isn’t one man’s war in that there is a very real body of opinion among part of the Russian public that is sort of supportive of this," he says.

(...)

This week, Russia’s finance ministry announced it would spend an additional 455 billion roubles (€3.25 billion) from the state budget on pay-outs to families with children aged between eight and 16, as well as increases to pension pay-outs.

What is interesting about this, is that it comes at a time when Russia can least afford this additional spending, as the cost of war mounts. It could be seen as a sign that the Russian leader is worried about his popularity at home, after his gamble of a quick and successful territorial grab in Ukraine failed to pay off.

This is new territory for Vladimir Putin, says Felix Light.

"Despite being an authoritarian leader, he’s always been very careful to make sure he’s on the right side of the public opinion.

"He was not expecting the reaction from the world and the economic damage that has been done. If he thought this was his final gift to the Russian people, he was very much mistaken."

(...)

"Unfortunately, these sanctions they hit not only oligarchs, they hit ordinary Russians including those who have opposed Putin for all these years," says Olga Irisova who says some Russians are already struggling to access both their savings and some medicines that they need.

(...)

Whilst no one can ever truly know what Vladimir Putin thinks, it was clear from his diatribe in his address to the nation just days before the invasion began, that he wanted Russia to be able to re-assert its imperial greatness in Ukraine.

"Clearly he miscalculated," says Irisova.

(...)

(Very long, interesting read at link)

'Twijfels in Rusland over verloop invasie' • Ministerie Oekraïne: 108 miljard euro schade

3 HOURS AGO

Now also fighting and attacks in Western Ukraine

Russian troops have launched an attack on two military airfields in western Ukraine. The airports in Lutsk and Ivano-Frankivsk have been "decommissioned", Russia's defense ministry said. A water installation and an aircraft repair factory in Lutsk are said to have been destroyed next to the airport. Dnipro, in the east, has also come under fire.

Two people were killed in the attacks on Lutsk, local authorities said.

The attacks are confirmed from the Ukrainian side. "Ukrainian major cities are again subjected to devastating blows," the presidential adviser tweeted. "Russia's devastating war against civilians and major cities continues."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper