Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlighting this BBM

The Kremlin is intentionally spreading outright lies that the United States and Ukraine are conducting chemical and biological weapons activities in Ukraine. We have also seen PRC officials echo these conspiracy theories. This Russian disinformation is total nonsense and not the first time Russia has invented such false claims against another country. Also, these claims have been debunked conclusively and repeatedly over many years.

Russia has put regime critic Alexei Navalny's press secretary Kira Yarmysh on a list of internationally wanted people.

As SVT reported earlier today, Alexei Navalny has called on Russia's residents to demonstrate on Sunday against the Russian invasion of Ukraine.”

Kriget i Ukraina

WOW
Mariupol is only about 37 miles (~60 km) from the Russian border right there on the Black Sea. It borders the Sea of Azov, which is totally bordered by Russian land (if you also consider the Crimean Penninsula to be Russian)

I honestly don't know how Ukraine can hold it. Russia can very easily attack it from the air, from land, and by sea and as Russia is controlling the northwestern Black Sea it's really impossible for the Allies to provide any air or maritime support without overflying Ukraine or the "Russian" international waters as drawn from the Crimean penninsula.

The more I look a the geography, the more I'm convinced Putin has been plotting this war since he took Crimea in 2014
Perhaps its's time to consider surrendering it to save all those lives

i agree with you 100%:
""The more I look at the geography, the more I'm convinced Putin has been plotting this war since he took Crimea in 2014.""

If he can be this brutal, he has always known what he was doing... even when "looking" like he was acting more friendly with the West. He just knew how to suck in enablers for his long game.

It just makes me sick, sick, sick how we all truly took our eyes off the ball..... I personally think we were trying to believe in the Russian people.. How accepting we have been---even with all the rich, loud, West-loving oligarchs in all our countries.

Putin has been the "Wizard of Oz" for a very long time>

moo ...of course.

At the height of its expansion, the Russian Empire stretched across the northern portions of Europe and Asia and comprised nearly one-sixth of the earth’s landmass; it occupied modern Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Finland, the Caucasus (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia), Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan), the Baltic Republics (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia), and significant parts of Poland and Turkey.

The Russian Empire (1721-1917) - VoegelinView

Hope he isn’t working on reclaiming what was once.

Jmo

Putin claims 'positive shifts' in Russia-Ukraine talks

Conflict will end when West takes Russia seriously - Kremlin

The Kremlin has said that the conflict in Ukraine would end when the West took action over Russia's repeatedly raised concerns about the killing of civilians in eastern Ukraine and NATO enlargement eastwards.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, asked by reporters how the crisis could end, set out Russia's position and said he believed that Ukraine was discussing Moscow's demands with the United States and other allies.

"Russia formulated concrete demands to Ukraine to resolve those questions. As far as we understand, those demands are being discussed by the Ukrainians with their advisers, primarily the United States and European Union countries," he said.

"Let's hope. That needs to be done. Then it will all end," Mr Peskov said.

Putin claims 'positive shifts' in Russia-Ukraine talks

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that there were some "positive shifts" in talks between Russian and Ukraine.

"There are certain positive shifts, negotiators from our side reported to me," Putin told his Belarus counterpart Alexander Lukashenko during a televised meeting in Moscow.

He added that negotiations are "now being held on an almost daily basis."

Russian and Ukrainian negotiators have held several rounds of talks since Putin sent in troops to the country on 24 February.

(...)

Putin did not elaborate, but said in the televised remarks that he would go into more detail with Mr Lukashenko.

(...)

This is an informative piece written 2 days before the Russians invaded Ukraine. It answers a lot of questions about "the Luhansk and Donetsk people’s republics", as Putin calls them. It's certainly is a web of want, corruption, betrayal, some switching of sides and crazy enough, repressive Stalinism supposedly being welcomed. The piece does stop though at a point where you'd very much like it to continue on with more. A good read.

Donetsk and Luhansk: What you should know about the ‘republics’

After reading that last post I did from Al Jazeera talking about importing Middle Eastern fighters into, what sounds like, only "the Luhansk and Donetsk people’s republics" regions and supplying them with captured Western forces weaponry could be seen as a move of retreat maybe be coming? This sounds to me like keeping "the Luhansk and Donetsk people’s republics" are thought to be THE objective now (besides of course continuing to blow up Ukraine's cities, towns and villages on the way out). Let's populate with seasoned fighters and keep the valuable energy and metal sources under Stalin-like rule. Nobody gets out. Western arms flowing into Ukraine "uncontrolled", lets strengthen the Donbas western front...is it time to panic they might lose what they started with? AJMO and speculation.

"...defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, said there were 16,000 volunteers in the Middle East who were ready to fight alongside Russian-backed forces in the breakaway Donbas region of eastern Ukraine..."

...proposed that western-made Javelin and Stinger missiles that were captured by the Russian army...should be handed over to Donbas forces,...with other weaponry...portable air-defence systems and anti-tank rocket complexes..."

“...the delivery of arms,...western-made ones...fallen into the hands of the Russian army,...I support the possibility of giving these to the military units of the Luhansk and Donetsk people’s republics,” Putin said..."

Shoigu said western arms were flowing into Ukraine in an “absolutely uncontrolled” way...the Russian military planned to strengthen its western border after what he said was a buildup of western military units there.

“The general staff is working on, and has almost finished, a plan to strengthen our western borders, including, naturally, with new modern complexes,” Shoigu said.

Putin said the question of how to react to moves by Nato countries needed a separate discussion."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...n-use-of-middle-east-fighters-against-ukraine

'Fear and lies': How Putin wants Russia to see the war

"It’s smarter to be free and to try to report something from abroad, than to sit in jail," says Tikhon Dziadko, editor in chief with Dozhd, an independent TV station that until earlier this month was able to broadcast from Moscow.

Now he is sitting with his colleagues in Istanbul, Turkey, having fled his own country.

On Thursday 3 March, everything changed for him, when Russia announced strict new laws including a potential 15-year jail term for those who questioned its invasion of Ukraine.

(...)

"Vladimir Putin, I think, he decided that all the games in democracy, all the games in pretending that there is some sort of law in Russia, all these games are over," said Mr Dziadko, speaking to French station ARTE.

"This is a brand new world, I don't like this world, but that's what I have to face."

(...)

The bombing of the children's hospital in the southern Ukrainian port of Mariupol this week was dismissed by Russian officials as "fake news". Russia claimed the former maternity hospital had long been taken over by troops.

(...)

"The majority of Russians get their news from state-controlled TV channels," says Olga Irisova, editor-in-chief of the website Riddle which seeks to explain Russia to the outside world.

She argues that Russian authoritarianism rests on three pillars: a relatively stable economy that is currently being shaken by biting sanctions, leaving two final pillars, "fear and lies". (BBM)

(...)

"The main narrative of Russian state TV media are now pushing is that the West provoked Russia, is that the West actually implemented the so-called 'Nazi' regime in Kyiv and this Ukrainian regime has been engaged in genocide of Russian speaking people in Eastern Ukraine for eight years," she says.

She says people in Russia are very sensitive towards this narrative "because in almost every Russian family there are some relatives that were killed during the Second World War and unfortunately most of the TV viewers, they buy this narrative".

She says the narrative also seeks to portray the Russian military and its soldiers and "liberators" of Ukraine, opposing the nationalists there. They are also denying that they are targeting civilians.

Instead, she says the Russian state-controlled media says: "The Ukrainian army are using people as live shields…That's how they are trying to frame what’s going on."

As unbelievable as this may seem to people who are used to a more free and questioning media in the West, she says many people will continue to buy into this narrative, particularly when the alternative is too terrible to contemplate.

"That's an important psychological part of this process," she says, even for those who feel deep down that something is not right:

"For Russian society, the older generation especially, it's really hard to believe that Russia could have attacked Ukraine. In that situation, we are the invaders, we are the bad guys and from a psychological point of view, it is just easier to believe the official narrative, that we are liberators, fighting for a good cause."

(...)

"The Russian media system has moved from a place where there was a limited and constrained spectrum of views to unanimous propaganda," says Felix Light, a journalist with the Moscow Times who has now left the capital, along with much of the foreign media there.

(...)

Mr Light says that whilst he lived in Moscow, there were always two camps of so-called 'independent' media in Russia: the ones implacably opposed to the system "who would go after Putin's family and report on corruption"; and the ones who were "liberal, independent and opposition minded, but also who had made their compromises with the system and still had their connections".

"They had friends in high places in the Russian political system but what this war has meant that all of that is not any use. Even these people are fair game for repression now."

(...)

Russia's Novaya Gazeta newspaper, whose editor Dmitry Muratov was a co-winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize, said last week it would remove material on Russia's military actions in Ukraine from its website, because of the censorship.

However, the newspaper said it would continue to report on the consequences that Russia is facing, including a deepening economic crisis and the persecution of dissidents.

(...)

On the day of Russia's invasion of Ukraine last week, he told the BBC: "Our peace-loving Russian people will now feel the hatred of the world because we are starting a third world war in the centre of Europe."

Ms Irisova says the fact that this publication is remaining, in some capacity is important.

"It's a very hard choice. It's either you are closed down completely, or you are repeating the lies of Russian propaganda," she says.

She says Novaya Gazeta announced its new editorial policy alongside a picture of a nuclear bomb, which was "very telling" and a message she says readers of the publication would understand.

(...)

Earlier this week, Russian actor Jean-Michel Scherbak wrote on social media that he was ashamed his country had started a war in Ukraine.

He said his mother, a long-time supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin, blocked him online.

The 30-year-old actor who is based in Europe says: "She texted me on Facebook saying that I was a traitor and that I had made my choice."

The falling out between families over this conflict is something Olga Irisova says she is also aware of. "The younger generation is more aware of what is going on in Ukraine," she says.

"Russian society is very polarised and divided right now, and I have also heard from my friends that unfortunately their relatives, their parents, they became victims of propaganda. Some of my friends who also live abroad and not in Russia, they also got messages from their relatives asking, 'Are you ok? We've heard that Russians are being beaten in Berlin or in London just for being Russians, and that's actually another narrative that Russian propaganda pushes."

She says that some parents have told their Russian children living abroad: "You don't know about Nazis, you are brainwashed by Western propaganda."

(...)

In almost every area of Russian society, there has been division over Russia’s invasion.

In the western region of Kostroma, police detained a Russian Orthodox priest, Father Ioann Burdin, over his church sermon against the war and a link he had posted to an anti-war petition.

However, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill has voiced support for Russia’s "special operation", saying Russian values were being tested by the West, which offered "only excessive consumption and the illusion of freedom".

(...)

An opinion poll published by Russian state polling agency VTsIOM last weekend, found Vladimir Putin’s approval rating had risen 6 percentage points to 70% in the week to 27 February, as the invasion of Ukraine began.

FOM, which provides research for the Kremlin, also said President Putin’s rating had risen 7 percentage points to 71% in the same period.

OpenDemocracy.net says it is important to note that Russian opinion polls are often used by the Kremlin to claim that the invasion is supported by the Russian public and it is not clear how the pool of people to poll is chosen.

(...)

Journalist Felix Light says it would be a mistake to believe that there is little Russian support for the war: "It isn’t one man’s war in that there is a very real body of opinion among part of the Russian public that is sort of supportive of this," he says.

(...)

This week, Russia’s finance ministry announced it would spend an additional 455 billion roubles (€3.25 billion) from the state budget on pay-outs to families with children aged between eight and 16, as well as increases to pension pay-outs.

What is interesting about this, is that it comes at a time when Russia can least afford this additional spending, as the cost of war mounts. It could be seen as a sign that the Russian leader is worried about his popularity at home, after his gamble of a quick and successful territorial grab in Ukraine failed to pay off.

This is new territory for Vladimir Putin, says Felix Light.

"Despite being an authoritarian leader, he’s always been very careful to make sure he’s on the right side of the public opinion.

"He was not expecting the reaction from the world and the economic damage that has been done. If he thought this was his final gift to the Russian people, he was very much mistaken."

(...)

"Unfortunately, these sanctions they hit not only oligarchs, they hit ordinary Russians including those who have opposed Putin for all these years," says Olga Irisova who says some Russians are already struggling to access both their savings and some medicines that they need.

(...)

Whilst no one can ever truly know what Vladimir Putin thinks, it was clear from his diatribe in his address to the nation just days before the invasion began, that he wanted Russia to be able to re-assert its imperial greatness in Ukraine.

"Clearly he miscalculated," says Irisova.

(...)

(Very long, interesting read at link)

Thank you for this well-compiled assemblage of the long article....

I love boxing, pull up fights on U T and watch, watched a Fight the other nite, Vitali Klitschko from Ukraine. I didn’t know he is the Mayor of Kyiv.

Kyiv's mayor learns from the IDF how to defend Ukraine

https://m.jpost.com/international/article-700968

The former World Boxing Organization heavyweight champion knocked out dozens of boxers from around the world during his first career.
But Klitschko, who then shifted to politics and has been the mayor of Ukraine’s capital since 2014, has never faced a fight like the current one against Russia.

Dnipro home of "a major space and ballistic-missile design bureau and manufacturer" yet Russians manage to blow up another kindergarden, a small shoe factory and another apartment building!? Are their forces that inept at targeting military targets? Do they have no reliable info from satellites to help with targeting?

One BBC reported walking within the wasteland of Mariupol saying, and I'm paraphrasing, this is all not accident in targeting, this looks exactly what parts of Syria looked like after the Russians. This is how they do "it".

Latest News, Breaking News Today - Bollywood, Cricket, Business, Politics - IndiaToday

From Sky News...

What has happened in the last 24 hours?

Today marks the 16th day of warfare in Ukraine.

In the last 24 hours, Russia said humanitarian corridors will open every day at 7am GMT to allow for the evacuation of civilians from certain parts of Ukraine. This is despite the failure of several agreed ceasefires.

If you're just joining us this morning, here's the latest:

• Boris Johnson tells Sky's Beth Rigby he fears Vladimir Putin may use chemical weapons as it is "straight out of Russia's playbook";
  • Volodymyr Zelenskyy says that he is worried about allegations of chemical warfare, after Russian accusations that US is developing biological weapons in Ukraine;
  • Russia says it will open humanitarian corridors at 10am Moscow time (7am GMT) every day to allow for the evacuation of Ukrainian civilians. Ukraine has yet to comment, and details are scarce;
  • Ukraine says 80,000 people were evacuated from the war-torn Sumy and Kyiv regions in the last 48 hours. The country's interior minister claims 400,000 have fled conflict zones in total;
  • The International Committee of the Red Cross says people in the besieged city of Mariupol are "attacking each other for food" as supplies run low;
  • Ukrainian officials say 1,207 bodies have been collected from the streets of the southern port city in recent days. Meanwhile, three people were killed in an attack on a children's hospital yesterday;
  • No progress was made on a ceasefire after talks between the foreign ministers of Ukraine and Russia in Turkey earlier today
Ukraine-Russia live updates: Putin offers hope on negotiations; Russian forces 're-posturing' for new attacks; 'nuclear terrorism' claim levelled at Kremlin

NEXTA on Twitter - 5 hours ago
#Belarusian dictator Alexander #Lukashenko arrived in #Moscow.

NEXTA on Twitter
Brovary District of #Kyiv Region after an air strike on the night of March 11. The #shells fell near a school and on the highway. According to preliminary reports, there were no casualties.
FNjcZXKXwAAAJhw
FNjcZXfXsAA_bt2
FNjcZZrX0AIzdxC
FNjcZb0XoAAMTUN

NEXTA on Twitter - 4 hours ago
Video of the crash site of an unknown object in #Zagreb. The mayor of the #Croatian capital said there is no indication that it was an intentional act. The circumstances are being investigated.

NEXTA on Twitter
The drone that fell in #Croatia came from #Hungarian airspace. Before that, it was in #Romania's airspace, #Croatian Prime Minister Andrej #Plenković said

NEXTA on Twitter - 1 hour ago
#Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin declared a boycott of Instagram

NEXTA on Twitter
The Prosecutor General's Office of the Russian Federation is asking the court to recognize the Meta company as an extremist organization and ban its activities in #Russia, the press service of the department reports.

NEXTA on Twitter - Video, 2 min ago
During a press conference, one of the #Russian pilots who was taken prisoner confessed to dropping bombs on residential buildings

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 5 hours ago
Riga renames street housing Russian Embassy – now it's the Independent Ukraine Street. The street will now be known as "Ukrainas neatkarības iela" in Latvian. Source: Latvian news site Delfi.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
These are the indicative estimates of Russia's losses as of March 11, according to the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
FNjoDY-XwAA0WEh

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 4 hours ago
2 Ukrainian soldiers killed, 6 injured as Russia shoots missiles at a military air base in Lutsk, western Ukraine.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 3 hours ago
Russians strike an asylum in Kharkiv. The number of victims is yet unknown. According to Kharkiv Oblast Governor Oleh Synehubov, 73 people were evacuated, but 330 were still inside at the moment of the attack. Many of them have disabilities.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 42 min ago
Village residents help to capture 29 Russian occupiers in Sumy Oblast. According to the National Police, residents reported seeing a group of suspects in a military uniform to the police. The Russian soldiers are now in the hands of law enforcement agencies.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 15 min ago
Majority of Germans support giving up Russian gas and oil imports, supplying arms to Ukraine. According to a recent survey, 55% of Germans are in favor of cutting energy ties with Russia, Der Tagesspiegel reported. Some 67% said that Germany should deliver weapons to Ukraine.

'Fear and lies': How Putin wants Russia to see the war

"It’s smarter to be free and to try to report something from abroad, than to sit in jail," says Tikhon Dziadko, editor in chief with Dozhd, an independent TV station that until earlier this month was able to broadcast from Moscow.

Now he is sitting with his colleagues in Istanbul, Turkey, having fled his own country.

On Thursday 3 March, everything changed for him, when Russia announced strict new laws including a potential 15-year jail term for those who questioned its invasion of Ukraine.

(...)

"Vladimir Putin, I think, he decided that all the games in democracy, all the games in pretending that there is some sort of law in Russia, all these games are over," said Mr Dziadko, speaking to French station ARTE.

"This is a brand new world, I don't like this world, but that's what I have to face."

(...)

The bombing of the children's hospital in the southern Ukrainian port of Mariupol this week was dismissed by Russian officials as "fake news". Russia claimed the former maternity hospital had long been taken over by troops.

(...)

"The majority of Russians get their news from state-controlled TV channels," says Olga Irisova, editor-in-chief of the website Riddle which seeks to explain Russia to the outside world.

She argues that Russian authoritarianism rests on three pillars: a relatively stable economy that is currently being shaken by biting sanctions, leaving two final pillars, "fear and lies". (BBM)

(...)

"The main narrative of Russian state TV media are now pushing is that the West provoked Russia, is that the West actually implemented the so-called 'Nazi' regime in Kyiv and this Ukrainian regime has been engaged in genocide of Russian speaking people in Eastern Ukraine for eight years," she says.

She says people in Russia are very sensitive towards this narrative "because in almost every Russian family there are some relatives that were killed during the Second World War and unfortunately most of the TV viewers, they buy this narrative".

She says the narrative also seeks to portray the Russian military and its soldiers and "liberators" of Ukraine, opposing the nationalists there. They are also denying that they are targeting civilians.

Instead, she says the Russian state-controlled media says: "The Ukrainian army are using people as live shields…That's how they are trying to frame what’s going on."

As unbelievable as this may seem to people who are used to a more free and questioning media in the West, she says many people will continue to buy into this narrative, particularly when the alternative is too terrible to contemplate.

"That's an important psychological part of this process," she says, even for those who feel deep down that something is not right:

"For Russian society, the older generation especially, it's really hard to believe that Russia could have attacked Ukraine. In that situation, we are the invaders, we are the bad guys and from a psychological point of view, it is just easier to believe the official narrative, that we are liberators, fighting for a good cause."

(...)

"The Russian media system has moved from a place where there was a limited and constrained spectrum of views to unanimous propaganda," says Felix Light, a journalist with the Moscow Times who has now left the capital, along with much of the foreign media there.

(...)

Mr Light says that whilst he lived in Moscow, there were always two camps of so-called 'independent' media in Russia: the ones implacably opposed to the system "who would go after Putin's family and report on corruption"; and the ones who were "liberal, independent and opposition minded, but also who had made their compromises with the system and still had their connections".

"They had friends in high places in the Russian political system but what this war has meant that all of that is not any use. Even these people are fair game for repression now."

(...)

Russia's Novaya Gazeta newspaper, whose editor Dmitry Muratov was a co-winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize, said last week it would remove material on Russia's military actions in Ukraine from its website, because of the censorship.

However, the newspaper said it would continue to report on the consequences that Russia is facing, including a deepening economic crisis and the persecution of dissidents.

(...)

On the day of Russia's invasion of Ukraine last week, he told the BBC: "Our peace-loving Russian people will now feel the hatred of the world because we are starting a third world war in the centre of Europe."

Ms Irisova says the fact that this publication is remaining, in some capacity is important.

"It's a very hard choice. It's either you are closed down completely, or you are repeating the lies of Russian propaganda," she says.

She says Novaya Gazeta announced its new editorial policy alongside a picture of a nuclear bomb, which was "very telling" and a message she says readers of the publication would understand.

(...)

Earlier this week, Russian actor Jean-Michel Scherbak wrote on social media that he was ashamed his country had started a war in Ukraine.

He said his mother, a long-time supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin, blocked him online.

The 30-year-old actor who is based in Europe says: "She texted me on Facebook saying that I was a traitor and that I had made my choice."

The falling out between families over this conflict is something Olga Irisova says she is also aware of. "The younger generation is more aware of what is going on in Ukraine," she says.

"Russian society is very polarised and divided right now, and I have also heard from my friends that unfortunately their relatives, their parents, they became victims of propaganda. Some of my friends who also live abroad and not in Russia, they also got messages from their relatives asking, 'Are you ok? We've heard that Russians are being beaten in Berlin or in London just for being Russians, and that's actually another narrative that Russian propaganda pushes."

She says that some parents have told their Russian children living abroad: "You don't know about Nazis, you are brainwashed by Western propaganda."

(...)

In almost every area of Russian society, there has been division over Russia’s invasion.

In the western region of Kostroma, police detained a Russian Orthodox priest, Father Ioann Burdin, over his church sermon against the war and a link he had posted to an anti-war petition.

However, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill has voiced support for Russia’s "special operation", saying Russian values were being tested by the West, which offered "only excessive consumption and the illusion of freedom".

(...)

An opinion poll published by Russian state polling agency VTsIOM last weekend, found Vladimir Putin’s approval rating had risen 6 percentage points to 70% in the week to 27 February, as the invasion of Ukraine began.

FOM, which provides research for the Kremlin, also said President Putin’s rating had risen 7 percentage points to 71% in the same period.

OpenDemocracy.net says it is important to note that Russian opinion polls are often used by the Kremlin to claim that the invasion is supported by the Russian public and it is not clear how the pool of people to poll is chosen.

(...)

Journalist Felix Light says it would be a mistake to believe that there is little Russian support for the war: "It isn’t one man’s war in that there is a very real body of opinion among part of the Russian public that is sort of supportive of this," he says.

(...)

This week, Russia’s finance ministry announced it would spend an additional 455 billion roubles (€3.25 billion) from the state budget on pay-outs to families with children aged between eight and 16, as well as increases to pension pay-outs.

What is interesting about this, is that it comes at a time when Russia can least afford this additional spending, as the cost of war mounts. It could be seen as a sign that the Russian leader is worried about his popularity at home, after his gamble of a quick and successful territorial grab in Ukraine failed to pay off.

This is new territory for Vladimir Putin, says Felix Light.

"Despite being an authoritarian leader, he’s always been very careful to make sure he’s on the right side of the public opinion.

"He was not expecting the reaction from the world and the economic damage that has been done. If he thought this was his final gift to the Russian people, he was very much mistaken."

(...)

"Unfortunately, these sanctions they hit not only oligarchs, they hit ordinary Russians including those who have opposed Putin for all these years," says Olga Irisova who says some Russians are already struggling to access both their savings and some medicines that they need.

(...)

Whilst no one can ever truly know what Vladimir Putin thinks, it was clear from his diatribe in his address to the nation just days before the invasion began, that he wanted Russia to be able to re-assert its imperial greatness in Ukraine.

"Clearly he miscalculated," says Irisova.

(...)

(Very long, interesting read at link)

Awesome post, chock full of info!

More families being torn apart by propaganda. Parents not believing their children and condemning them in favor of praising a murderer, just like they praise Stalin...to me, moronic.

I guess all it takes to stop the older Russian generation from starting to think is throwing a bit if money at them? Well Putin's got a supposed 70 billion, he can spare the 3 5 billion no problem...to keep his popularity.

If looks like the main problem in all of this mess is the cloistering of the Russian people from free media. That's the root and the birth of all this evil happening in Ukraine. I have to believe its because of their ignorance that a large percentage of Russians act and think with Putin, that they truly don't know he's the devil on Earth. God should strike down that
head of the Russian Orthodox Church, to me, he's the devil's advocate. AJMO

MAR 11, 2022
Ukraine’s Railroads Have Become Vital Cog in Kyiv’s War Effort - WSJ
[...]

Seats are allocated first-come, first-served. Women with babies or young children get priority; everyone else must wait their turn in a line stretching outside the station in near-freezing temperatures. Volunteers at Lviv station load cardboard boxes of food and aid onto passenger trains bound for cities at risk of being cut off by Russian advances. Military equipment is moving along the tracks, while wounded soldiers are transported to hospitals.

[...]

Trains are frequently rerouted or forced to make unscheduled stops to avoid shelling. Rockets landed near the line to Ukraine’s second-largest city of Kharkiv several days ago, and bridges have been blown up. Train cars are packed as much as five times their usual capacity, so speeds have been reduced to 60 kph (roughly 37 miles per hour), about half the usual speed, so drivers can stop in time if the tracks ahead are damaged.

[...]

Russia hasn’t systematically targeted Ukraine’s railroads so far despite their strategic importance, though some depots and other infrastructure have been damaged by fighting nearby.

[...]

Because most of the traffic is heading west, spare capacity on trains returning east is being used to ferry donations from western parts of the country that so far are relatively unscathed.

[...]

“Nobody knows when the trains arrive or depart,” said Irina Lozovka, who had nearly reached the station entrance after five hours standing in line for a train to Poland. ...

[...]

I found this:

Biological Threat Reduction Program

The U.S. Department of Defense’s Biological Threat Reduction Program collaborates with partner countries to counter the threat of outbreaks (deliberate, accidental, or natural) of the world’s most dangerous infectious diseases.  The program accomplishes its bio-threat reduction mission through development of a bio-risk management culture; international research partnerships; and partner capacity for enhanced bio-security, bio-safety, and bio-surveillance measures. The Biological Threat Reduction Program’s priorities in Ukraine are to consolidate and secure pathogens and toxins of security concern and to continue to ensure Ukraine can detect and report outbreaks caused by dangerous pathogens before they pose security or stability threats.

Current executive agents of the Biological Threat Reduction Program in Ukraine are the Ministry of Health, the State Service of Ukraine for Food Safety and Consumer Protection, the National Academy of Agrarian Sciences, and the Ministry of Defense.

Laboratory Construction
BTRP has upgraded many laboratories for the Ministry of Health and the State Food Safety and Consumer Protection Service of Ukraine, reaching Biosafety Level 2. In 2019, BTRP constructed two laboratories for the latter, one in Kyiv and one in Odesa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member