Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The video with this report shows them walking by the old train tracks.... This map you can see the train tracks are all the way back at the dead end of Tidewater.... Click 'satellite' in bottom left for terrain view.

https://www.google.com/maps/views/explore?gl=us&vm=1&ll=33.72701,-78.92921&z=18

I zoomed close as I could and I really think that is the waste management center all the way at end, container in lot look similar to rollcarts and that business on curve is recycling center - looks like piles of metal, cardboard etc scattered about.

ETA - Zoomed again; in very corner at dead end I see 'Best Distributing' noted as business; i think this is the builders/construction supply business i found last night. Perhaps the waste management and metals recycling are two business running from that one location on curve in road.... Last night I found 3 businesses located on Tidewater....the one on corner Tidewater/Waccamaw is a gas station/Subway.

From Dawn's statement:

The phrase ''positive identification'' makes it sound like a preliminary identification was made (whether it was based on items found on/around the skeleton, certain features etc.) and they're just waiting on dentals or DNA to confirm it.

Good catch Migmuu. I agree something makes them believe this is Brittanee. Monica's statement too that one of "their" families will have resolution.

Good catch Migmuu. I agree something makes them believe this is Brittanee. Monica's statement too that one of "their" families will have resolution.

If they can determine height, that should help a lot I'd think.

:please: Praying that it is beautiful Brittanee :please:

When they did the age progression of her last year I cried because she looks so grown up. It was so sad.

Im sure they know by now if it is her maybe they found her clothes or her pocketbook. And if its not her someone will have their loved one back home with them.

:please: Praying for all the families tonight.

Yeah, I saw that and thought the phrasing was odd. It definitely sounds like the searchers there found something that points to the UID being Brittanee.

Is this area where the remains found north or south of where she went missing? I know her phone made a beeline down highway 17 to the Georgetown/Surfside/Pole yard landing area. Maybe they suspect it's Brittanee because they found her phone?? IMO that would be a fairly good indicator that it's her.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Is this area where the remains found north or south of where she went missing? I know her phone made a beeline down highway 17 to the Georgetown/Surfside/Pole yard landing area. Maybe they suspect it's Brittanee because they found her phone?? IMO that would be a fairly good indicator that it's her.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

The area where her cell phone last pinged is much further south about 15 miles south of Georgetown, SC. She was last seen on video walking out of the BlueWater Resort in Myrtle Beach.

Yeah, I saw that and thought the phrasing was odd. It definitely sounds like the searchers there found something that points to the UID being Brittanee.

I would also guess the remains found could be of more than one person.

Popping in from the HE thread.

Not only is there a metal recycling business on the road, nearby (across Hwy 501) is also a cabinetry shop that also has a location just north of Georgetown. I notice that RM did cabinetry work. Not sure if there is a connection, but it would give reason to be in the area multiple times for business.

Thanks for popping in and sharing your local knowledge with us DMiller70.

I saw this on the news this am.
According to this link there were no clothes with the remains that were found.

http://www.wect.com/story/24322587/skeletal

Coroner Edge said that he is not aware of any families of missing persons being contacted yet. If clothes had been found with the bones, police would have contacted families to see if they recognized the clothes.

wm

I would also guess the remains found could be of more than one person.

Very possible Farmland, imo.. Seems, that I remember the skull, pelvis, and femur, are normally the last skeletal bones remaining from scavenger activity due to their size.
I would think that 100 yards is a very long distance for many scavengers to drag them..

UT Body Farm - 42 years of researching decomposition..
Human Body Farm - YouTube

The University of Tennessee Anthropological Research Facility, better known as the Body Farm and sometimes seen as the Forensic Anthropology Facility, was started in late 1971 by anthropologist William M. Bass as a facility for study of the decomposition of human remains..
(many more informative videos at youtube)

Finally! National coverage. This article speaks about Brittanee, Heather Elvis and Jamie Lynn Cross.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/3...g-south-carolina-women-while-police-discover/

While scouring a heavily wooded area for Elvis on Saturday, authorities found "adult skeletal remains," said Lt. Peter Cestare of the Horry County Police Department. It is not yet known whether the bones, which have been there "for some time," are male or female, he said.

The bones were found about 25 miles from where 17-year-old Brittanee Drexel was last seen in 2009. Drexel, a high school junior from the Rochester area, went with friends and without her mother's permission to Myrtle Beach on April 23, 2009. Authorities have long said they suspect Drexel is dead, but exhaustive searches for the teenager have never turned up remains.

I have a couple of questions.....

1) Is the mileage correct in the article, 25 miles from where Britt was last seen, correct?

2) IF a skull was found would there still be hair attached to it after all this time?

Sorry for the graphic question but I am curious and don't have any experience in finding human remains.

wm

Finally! National coverage. This article speaks about Brittanee, Heather Elvis and Jamie Lynn Cross.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/3...g-south-carolina-women-while-police-discover/

While scouring a heavily wooded area for Elvis on Saturday, authorities found "adult skeletal remains," said Lt. Peter Cestare of the Horry County Police Department. It is not yet known whether the bones, which have been there "for some time," are male or female, he said.

The bones were found about 25 miles from where 17-year-old Brittanee Drexel was last seen in 2009. Drexel, a high school junior from the Rochester area, went with friends and without her mother's permission to Myrtle Beach on April 23, 2009. Authorities have long said they suspect Drexel is dead, but exhaustive searches for the teenager have never turned up remains.

1) Is the mileage correct in the article, 25 miles from where Britt was last seen, correct?

2) IF a skull was found would there still be hair attached to it after all this time?

Sorry for the graphic question but I am curious and don't have any experience in finding human remains.

wm
That's incorrect on the mileage wm; they were either mapping Tidewater Dr/Rd in Surfside or more likely NMB. The remains were just over 6 miles inland from the area of the Bluewater resort 2501 S Ocean Blvd, MB.

The hair doubtfully would be attached to skull although hair tuft(s) could remain nearby and certainly if this area, which strikes me so eerily similar to Caylee Anthony's remains/terrain location, were grid searched and sifted as we saw in that case, you may find hair(s) but after this long DNA would likely be so degraded it'd be very hard to use. However, they sent these 'remains' to Texas for a reason - that lab is famous for finding DNA where none should theoretically exist any longer.

Did anyone else see the episode of Forensic Files where the woman's entire hair though, long, thick and braided which no doubt helped in keeping it intact, was found and by examining the flora and debris in it they were able to determine her body's most likely resting spot on a mountain side? Fascinating stuff....they found her skeletal remains after many years by that knowledge alone.

I am reposting this article from 2012 for our new members. The rape victim of the POI in Britt's case speaks out.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/2...ls-disappearance-past-victim-person-interest/

Harding was walking alone to meet a friend at her elementary school in Vallejo, Calif., when she encountered Moody on Jan. 20, 1983. He forced the young girl into his car, saying he intended to drop her off at a police station because “‘You’re too little to be out here by yourself,’” Harding recalled.

Moody drove to an empty cul-de-sac, where he raped the child repeatedly before she managed to escape after pleading with her assailant to use a bathroom. The young girl was able to tell police she saw a green sticker on Moody’s car, which police determined was needed to gain entry onto a U.S. Navy base in Vallejo. That ultimately led them to Moody, who confessed to the rape and to assaulting six other children. He served slightly more than half of his prison sentence.

Scroll right on slideshow for pic of RM. He looks like the composite sketch of the attempted abductor of the girls at the sister resorts w/o video surveillance. MOO

wm

1) I think the distance is actually 6 - 10 miles. A user in another thread said the media is mixing up Tidewater Rd. and Tidewater Dr.

2) Depends on the condition of the remains and the climate they're in. I mostly hang around the Unidentified forum and I've seen lots of cases where there's still a lot of hair attached to old (usually mummified) remains. For skeletal remains, there may still be a little hair attached to the skull.

I can only imagine how BDs mother feels right now :( poor woman.

I also hope Brits friends are quaking in their boots if they're truly as guilty as they seem, JMO

The people she was last with are not POI nor suspects in this case.

Thanks for popping in and sharing your local knowledge with us DMiller70.

I saw this on the news this am.
According to this link there were no clothes with the remains that were found.

http://www.wect.com/story/24322587/skeletal

Coroner Edge said that he is not aware of any families of missing persons being contacted yet. If clothes had been found with the bones, police would have contacted families to see if they recognized the clothes.

wm

But they did contact BD's Mom I thought..

#TeamConnor
#CureSMA
#ConnorStrong

www.facebook.com/prayersforconnor

The BBM part of Rochestergirl's post above made me wonder . . .

How likely does everyone think or feel it is that these remains are Brittanee's?

Regardless, I'm thinking of Britt and her family again today. :beats:

128657464991113191800301197_BRITTANEE_DREXEL.jpg

As much as I hate to say it, I hope these are her remains.

What a year this is...... first the McStay family then possibly the Jamison family and now possibly Brittanee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee