Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone find it strange they are not looking for her body? If they know she is dead as they say, why not plea for her being found? I feel like they are trying to get information on the person that killed her.

Things that stood out to me:

They said they, more than one person involved

They know she is dead based on the investigation

They know she was alive for several days in McClellan/ Georgetown area. (Must have been eyewitnesses, video, or DNA)

They know there are people who know what happened.

Wow, sounds like they might have recovered remains but aren't telling.

Can anyone say Raymond Moody? IMHO

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Mc Clellanville is a small fishing community. There are many fishing and shrimp boats, sadly but her body may have been taken off shore and dumped.

I think they know who's involved but need more evidence to make an arrest

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I agree. When the FBI said through high profile investigations we have done in this State, we have charged people that when we have found new information and they didn't come forward, they were charged.

Mc Clellanville is a small fishing community. There are many fishing and shrimp boats, sadly but her body may have been taken off shore and dumped.

possible, but more likely dropped deep in the National Forest or buried in the back yard under the cover of darkness. She did not go out in a shrimp boat, no how, no way

MCCLELLANVILLE, SC (WCSC) -
Authorities investigating the case of a missing woman last seen in Myrtle Beach believe she was killed and are offering a reward for tips leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible.

Brittanee Drexel was 17 yeas old when she went missing while on spring break on April 25, 2009.

Officials say Drexel, who was from New York, was last seen leaving her hotel.

The teenager's cell phone pinged on the boarder of Charleston County shortly after she disappeared.

Officials have evidence she was near McClellanville, North Charleston and south Georgetown for several days and held against her will before she was killed.
(modsnip)

“"We know she isn't coming home alive. I need your help bringing people responsible to justice." - Drexel's mother. pic.twitter.com/f664lgW3WW
— Meaghan Wallace (@MeaghanLive5) June 8, 2016
Lt. Joey Crosby with the Myrtle Beach Police Department said they've conducted hundreds of interviews in an attempt to find the missing woman.

Copyright 2016 WCSC. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.wafb.com/story/32175205/update-expected-on-brittanee-drexel-case

The person I quoted said she was held in a basement. I was asking for clarification/proof/link.

I can't imagine any structures there with a basement. But then again, there is a dwelling in downtown Charleston that has what I would consider a pseudo basement. So, I suppose it's possible.

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160...d-but-officials-vow-to-find-out-what-happened

After hearing from the FBI this week, that hope slipped away. The authorities think the 17-year-old New York girl, who came to Myrtle Beach for spring break in 2009, was taken and held captive in McClellanville for days until she was slain.

“Brittanee was in this community for several days,” he said. “It wasn’t just a one-time passing-through. Other people came in contact with her, saw her, know that she was here. So we know that there is information in the community.”

possible, but more likely dropped deep in the National Forest or buried in the back yard under the cover of darkness. She did not go out in a shrimp boat, no how, no way

what makes you feel so strongly about that?

Just about anyone could be a perp and go unnoticed even if they are a stranger, given this was considered a resort area where strangers are in and out all the time.

What's weird is the presser now giving information that is more than just generic. In missing person cases that are years old people often presume the person is dead so if all they were saying is she is dead, that would not be very specific to her case. It could be a reasonable assumption.

But, it sounds like her family has been given info about her death in that it took days to happen after she was held against her will, and that her murder was brutal with more than one person involved. This is not generic info that we hear in case after case. This is very specific stuff and the authorities would probably not have just spouted this without first verifying it.

Who gave them info? When? How do the informers know the info? How did the FBI verify what info they received? In most cases info received is not all reliable and they work to weed the truth from the lies. So how did they determine that what was reported in the presser is true?

I am thinking that with such specific info having been verified to be true and thus announced to the public, the FBI knows what went down, how, and maybe even who was involved...but they do not have sufficient evidence to bring charges. Hence the presser...they are looking for help in tying up loose ends.

JMO.

I would love to know this too...how do they know she was alive for a few days and held captive? how do they know she is dead and died so brutal? Ah!

As the mother of a teen girl myself, my heart breaks for DD. I feel this is the worst update she could've gotten. Not only is her daughter dead, but she was held against her will before she was murdered. We all know the implications of that. She's probably imagining all the unspeakable things Brittanee might have gone through in her last days.

I just transcribed the press conference.... beginning where the news cut in.

MBPD
The next day Brittanee disappeared. We know that Brittanee made it to the Bluewater Resort. The last time we saw her was on surveillance camera leaving the resort. On April the 25th 2009, that image was captured and since then Brittanee has been missing. Since that time, the MB police department has been working diligently to find this vibrant, young lady.

We have conducted hundreds of interviews and followed just as many leads across this country. We, the Myrtle Beach Police Department and our law enforcement partners, have a unified goal. We are working together to discover and find out what happened to Brittanee Drexel and to provide closure to this grieving family. We met with the Drexel family the very first day. We made a promise to them. We promised to do everything in our power, use every resource available, work together as a team to acheive that goal. We will not give up. We will not stop this investigation. And we will continue to work this investigation until we have achieved this goal. As many of you are aware, cell phone evidence that's collected on Brittanee has led us to this area of SC. I now ask FBI Special Agent David Thomas in charge to share with you how our continued efforts will be moving forward.

FBI
Thank you. Again, my name is Dave Thomas. I'm a special agent in charge for the FBI here in SC. And I echo comments... I appreciate the family being here, the media being here. The FBI has been involved in this investigation with our closest partners-- Mark Kuell (sp?) with SLED, Sheriff of Berkley County, Charleston County, Warren Gall (sp?), Myrtle Beach asked us to help early on to see if the FBI had any resources in this investigation. And the agency investigators have worked tirelessly from Day One on this investigation. What we've come to discover through the course of the investigation now is that Brittanee Drexel did leave the Myrtle Beach area. We believe she traveled to this area around McClellanville and the North Charleston/South Georgetown area, and we believe she was killed after that.

We're here today seeking the help from the public, from you the media, in helping us get the word out about that. We know this is a great community. We know there's great people here. We know there's people that saw something, heard something, that has information that could lead us to closing out this investigation and bringing closure to this family who's dealt with this awful tragedy. Any time you work an investigation like this, they're extremely difficult. And we understand. And I said we've looked at thousands of leads so far, but there's still information that we need.

I've been authorized by the Director of the FBI to offer a $25,000 reward leading to the arrest and the conviction of those responsible for killing Brittanee Drexel. And so again, after this we urge anyone with information... no matter how insignificant you think it is, no matter how small, if you think we already have that information... to please call in to the tip lines and let us know. Because that information may be that one significant piece is all it will take to push us over the edge on this. And again, we're appealing to the community of good people here because we know there's tremendously good people in this community, and we know that people have heard something or seen something and may not even know how significant that information is.

Also, I will say that in other high profile investigations that we've done in this state, that the FBI has charged people that we've found that knew information and didn't come forward. And I won't hesitate to ask the US attorney's office to do that again in this investigation. I would like to think that people would come forward on their own, but we do know that there are people here that understand and know what happened. And during the course of our interviews, if we find out that people do know what happened to Brittanee Drexel and they didn't come forward, I won't hesitate to ask the US attorney's office to charge those people also.

We will take a limited amount of questions from you. Obviously we can't get into the details of this investigation, but if there's other information we can give you... we will take some limited questions.

I'm going to bring up Dawn Drexel first. This is Dawn Drexel, Brittanee Drexel's mother.

Dawn Drexel
First of all, I want to thank all of the law enforcement that is assisting on Brittanee's case. After seven long years of waiting and praying for the return of my daughter, we know she isn't coming home alive. Brittanee's life was stolen from her in a brutal and senseless fashion. I need your help in bringing the people responsible for her death to justice. They needed to be held accountable for taking the life of our precious young daughter. She had her whole life ahead of her. She had a lot of dreams and aspirations. They could have done this to anyone's child but they did it to mine... so I am here now asking for your help. I know there's a mother, father, sister, brother, son, or daughter in the North Charleston County and South Georgetown County areas that has information that will help solve the murder of my daughter Brittanee. Please help us to bring these killers to justice. Help us to put them in prison where they belong for the rest of their useless lives. They will never again take one of our children away in such a brutal fashion. We need your help so we can find Brittanee's remains and bring her home... to lay her to rest and make sure that monsters like this can no longer victimize this community or kill anyone else's child.

(I apologize--I'm not sure how this person is related to BD but he is obviously family.)
Family Member

We need your help. We need everyone's help to bring something from her home to us. We need your help. We need someone to help us. Seven years... please help.

Dawn Drexel
We just want Brittanee to know that we love her so much and that we will get her justice. Thank you.

FBI
At this time, we'll open it up a little bit for question and answers. Dawn and the family will not participate in that question and answer time right now. Appreciate your understanding with that. If you have questions for law enforcement, please.

R: (Inaudible) ...when did you reach that conclusion?
FBI: We've known it for some time but in interest of trying to protect the parents and maintain hope that we could bring her back alive, we've kept that information. And decisions were only reached last night by some of the executives here---whether how much information we should actually put out and how honest we should be. And I think we all came to the conclusion, collectively, that regardless of how difficult it is for the family---we spoke with the family yesterday to brief them---it is really difficult, but the public needs to know and the family needs to know and we need to come forth with as much information as possible to try to get someone in the community to come forward. And, we do know that Brittanee was in this community for several days. It wasn't just a one time passing through. So by being here for several days, other people came in contact with her, saw her, know that she was here. So we know that there is information in the community here. And that's again why we ask people to please look at the photographs, look back at their memories, think about things they may have seen, they may have heard of any of the news coverage and if they have information to please bring that information forward.

R: Do you think someone brought her here from Myrtle Beach?
FBI: We think she was held here against her will. At least for a portion of the time she was here.

R: Do you believe she left Myrtle Beach on her own?
FBI: We don't know whether she did or not.

What is the significance of the (inaudible)..?
FBI: We know from the investigation that she was here in the general area.

R: Alive?
FBI: Alive. From South Georgetown area/North Charleston/McClellanville centralized to this area is why we're having the press conference here, why we're pleading to the community here, and our investigation tells us she was here.

R: How do you know?
FBI: We know from the investigation.

R: Do you think she went anywhere other than here?
FBI: She could've went several different places but in this general area. She was in this general area for several days.

R: Do you believe she was killed here?
FBI: Yes.

R: (Inaudible)
FBI: I'm not going to talk about specific evidence or what evidence we have on file but again... we have enough information that we are confident of the fact that she was here.

R: There was a comment about several days. How long do you think that was?
FBI: Only that it would have been several days. We don't know exactly.

R: She was last seen at the Blue Water?
FBI: Yes. We believe she traveled from the Blue Water here to this general area and was here for a period of several days.

R: What makes you think she's been killed?
FBI: There's been an exhaustive amount of evidence in this case. Investigators are certain that that's what happened... and uh... I can't lead ya... give ya exact details on that but we are certain of that.

R: Do you have any people of interest in this case?
FBI: We have a lot of people that we've talked to and there's a lot of people that we're going to talk to. And the investigation is still very open. And it's been very open from Day One. I said... the investigators in this case, Myrtle Beach and SLED, and other investigators in this case are taking this personally---as every missing person case---and they've worked it tirelessly from Day One. And as they said, when a case like this is opened, it's never closed. It doesn't matter how long it takes it. When the FBI opens a case, when SLED opens a case of this nature, we never close it until we resolve it. So we will continue the investigation however long it takes to make sure that we do get to the end.

R: Do you believe this case is possibly connected to any other cases in the area?
We don't want to comment on that other than we're focused here on this specific case. We're talking about Brittanee Drexel and we want to bring a closure to this case and what happened to her right now.

R: (something about...) fliers in the past seven years?
FBI: In this case specifically, there's been numerous fliers and things put out in the Myrtle Beach area in different areas. The difference is we have offered a $25,000 reward. There was a reward offered early on in the case to see if we could generate information. And, I said I've been in contact with the Director who authorized me to up that reward to a $25,000 in the hopes of, again, that if someone does know something... we would hope they would come forward anyway but if that pushes someone into coming forward then that's great and we're happy to do that and assist in any way we can.

R: When you say that she was held against her will do you think that more than one person was involved?
FBI: It's hard to know at this point.

R: Do you know how she was held against her will?
FBI: We do not.

R: Has anything happened here recently in the last few months or weeks, that (inaudible) more information than before?
FBI: There's new information that's been coming in consistently from the day the investigation. The investigators, like I said, have worked this thing tirelessly. It's just collectively looking at we think we're at a point where one or two small pieces of information could put us over the edge and we centralized that here and trying to gather the community. As Ms. Drexel said, there's mothers here, there's fathers here. There's brothers here. There's sisters here. There's people in this community. This is a good community of great people and then we're reaching out to those people and they may have information they don't even know and something happened and they didn't realize that she was actually in this area... that if we do this blanket and push and hope from you with the media we can get enough information that those people will realize and come forward.

R: During those several days that she was in this area, did she have any contact with friends who may have been still in Myrtle Beach or anybody else for that matter?
FBI: No.

R: Was she in somebody's custody when she was operating around here. Was she free to go?
FBI: She was not free to go, no.

R: So no one from NY was involved?
FBI: We don't know exactly who was involved. And from what area... from Myrtle Beach to here. I mean we're focusing on this area because we know that she was here. But there could be numerous people involved. We're still investigating all of that.

R: You say that some people may know information...:
FBI: Somebody DOES know information.

R: So what would you say to someone who might fear for their own lives to come forward?
FBI: The FBI is here, SLED's here, the other law enforcement people are here. We have an outstanding reputation of protecting people and information. If they come forward, they will be protected. We'll ensure that. And that anything that we can do to assist them, we will.

R: You say that you know she was here. In addition to the cell phone evidence, is there anything else that leads you to conclude that?
FBI: We know she was here in this area. That's significant enough. And she was here for more than one day so she come in contact with other people while she was here. And so the fact that she come in contact with people and that she was in this area for several days, we know people here have information that could assist us. They may not know that they have the information, but again, we're hoping this will jog their memory and get them to thinking back during that time period.

R: These are people beyond those who were holding her against her will?
FBI: We don't know. We can only assume a lot of things at this point but you're in an area for several days, she would have contact with multiple people during that time frame.

R: How far away did you look up leads?
FBI: Everywhere.
MBPD: We received the leads from all across the country. We received tips from numerous locations and we've investigated each one of those.

R: Any from upstate NY?
MBPD: Initially in the investigation, yes sir. We did interview folks in upstate NY as well.

OK thank y'all. We appreciate it.

britt.jpg

This means something. Who are they talking to? Who would the perp(s) feel comfortable enough to let in on their "secret" that they were holding Brittanee captive? Or did they not make it seem that she was being held? Did they present her as something/someone else? Was she in disguise? The people who are connected to McClellanville need to think long and hard about if they saw a teenage girl they had not seen before in April 2009. I know it's a long ways past now, but this is when we were given the info, so we have to take it and run.

I don't think so, the reason I say this she didn't use her phone, if she were with someone willingly why did she stop answering calls, texting, etc...

Because she was pissed at her boyfriend, knew she was going to be in all kinds of trouble when she got back, and wanted one last enjoyable evening of freedom?

I just transcribed the press conference.... beginning where the news cut in.

R: Has anything happened here recently in the last few months or weeks, that (inaudible) more information than before?
FBI: There's new information that's been coming in consistently from the day the investigation. The investigators, like I said, have worked this thing tirelessly. It's just collectively looking at we think we're at a point where one or two small pieces of information could put us over the edge and we centralized that here and trying to gather the community. As Ms. Drexel said, there's mothers here, there's fathers here. There's brothers here. There's sisters here. There's people in this community. This is a good community of great people and then we're reaching out to those people and they may have information they don't even know and something happened and they didn't realize that she was actually in this area... that if we do this blanket and push and hope from you with the media we can get enough information that those people will realize and come forward.

That was a lot of work. Thank you for that. I cut out the part I want to focus on. This specific response tells me that the perp(s) had her around their family members at least for a short time and they are asking those family members to come forward with that information. It almost sounds like they believe she was in disguise, because why else would they say "you had information and you might not know it." ??

There seems to be a good deal of certainty when they mention BD was there for several days and subsequently killed.

Makes me wonder if they stating that because 1) Her phone continued to ping towers in that general area for a few days or 2) They received a tip or tips that seemed credible enough that it happened that way.

Personally, based on the tone and wording within the presser, I think they received several credible leads as to what happened and maybe even who did it, but the problem is they don't have anything strong enough to generate an arrest or even a warrant.

Then tough thing with small town crime in many cases is that a lot of people are related to each other, a lot of folks run in the same social circles. Word gets out you "snitched" and then there's trouble. So obviously there might be plenty of information to be had, people might just be scared to share it and attach their name to it.

There seems to be a good deal of certainty when they mention BD was there for several days and subsequently killed.

Makes me wonder if they stating that because 1) Her phone continued to ping towers in that general area for a few days or 2) They received a tip or tips that seemed credible enough that it happened that way.

Personally, based on the tone and wording within the presser, I think they received several credible leads as to what happened and maybe even who did it, but the problem is they don't have anything strong enough to generate an arrest or even a warrant.

Then tough thing with small town crime in many cases is that a lot of people are related to each other, a lot of folks run in the same social circles. Word gets out you "snitched" and then there's trouble. So obviously there might be plenty of information to be had, people might just be scared to share it and attach their name to it.

It sure sounds like they have a lot of solid evidence. Just not quite enough for a conviction. Here's hoping somebody develops a conscience or realizes what they saw and comes forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jameshoots