SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty of MSM articles for source information on the injuries sustained.

BBM-Please post a link to support your statement of fact.

A spokesman for the sheriff's department said the officer had been called to the classroom because a student had refused to leave the room when a teacher and a vice principal instructed her to do so. The spokesman added that no injuries were reported.

I agree with a lot of this post. However, it did warm my heart to see that alleged defiant teen taken down. Had it been one of my own children/grandchildren in the same circumstances, I would have shook his hand.

My opinion only

Had it been my child or grandchild they would have faced consequences at home but I cannot even imagine myself thanking the person who had taken them down with unnecessary force. Me shake the hand of an abuser? Never in a million years.

I lived in Texas as a child and spent about 10 years in public schools there. I recall perhaps three times when children were "sent to the office" for a paddling. I never saw LE in the school.

I recall once when my Spanish teacher caught me sneaking a peek at Time magazine. She stood very close to me and screeched at me in a very loud voice for about two minutes. Note: I was a straight A student, active in school affairs, and came from a prominent and substantial family. She could have easily just told me to put my magazine away and to pay attention. I'm still peeved after all these years!

ETA: What might Officer Slam have done if the offender was a 325 lb tackle on the football team?

I find it very wrong for adults to treat children with disrespect. What do kids learn from that?

BBM- What injuries ?

BBM-Please post a link to support your statement of fact.

Are you seriously surprised that a young girl who was brutally body slammed by a cop, then picked up and thrown ten feet across the room received injuries?

The 16-year-old has a hard cast on her arm extending to her thumb after going to the hospital Monday night, he said. She also is complaining of neck and back injuries, and psychological injuries.

Sheriff Fires Deputy for Tossing Teen Across Classroom

I lived in Texas as a child and spent about 10 years in public schools there. I recall perhaps three times when children were "sent to the office" for a paddling. I never saw LE in the school.

I recall once when my Spanish teacher caught me sneaking a peek at Time magazine. She stood very close to me and screeched at me in a very loud voice for about two minutes. Note: I was a straight A student, active in school affairs, and came from a prominent and substantial family. She could have easily just told me to put my magazine away and to pay attention. I'm still peeved after all these years!

ETA: What might Officer Slam have done if the offender was a 325 lb tackle on the football team?

I find it very wrong for adults to treat children with disrespect. What do kids learn from that?

I remember "The Paddle" all too well. Our schools also used them and I experienced them on 2 occasions. One I deserved it and the other time it was a terrible over reaction by teacher because my "crime" was nothing more than an honest mistake in shop class. I was turning a wood project on the lathe and my wood project fell off the machine and flew on the floor and started spinning like a top on the floor.

Everyone in class started laughing at the situation and I was hauled to the principles office for causing a disruption when it was a simple honest accident that the screws did not hold to my wood project.

I got 2 "swats" for that and I also am mad to this day. :)
They hurt real bad and don't ever believe the kids that tried to hide that they didn't hurt. :)

Do you have stats on that? Because I've never seen that in a juvenile courtroom, and also on the Travis County misdemeanor docket sheet for upcoming procedures, I've also never seen that listed. Petty theft, drug possession, DWI, DUI, larceny, trespass.

It is known mostly as Contempt of Cop and the charges are never labeled this because that isn't a crime. What they charge you with is Disorderly conduct, Resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer, interfering with an investigation, and many other charges that stem solely from the cops arbitrary decision at the time.

I was sorta tryin' ta say what you said, only yours came out better.

I liked the way you said it too:

"Children have a right not to be beaten, raped, sold into servitude, starved, neglected or murdered."

I like it a lot.

Do you have stats on that? Because I've never seen that in a juvenile courtroom, and also on the Travis County misdemeanor docket sheet for upcoming procedures, I've also never seen that listed. Petty theft, drug possession, DWI, DUI, larceny, trespass.

The cases never go to court. That's the "with no trial" part.

Sheriff Lott:
"Too often, these teachers in these schools are calling on the cops because they have a disruptive student in the classroom. This is not a cop's job. Unfortunately, our Legislature passed a law that's called 'disturbing schools,' If a student disturbs school -- and that's a wide range of activities, 'disturbing schools' -- they can be arrested. Our goal has always been to see what we can do without arresting the kids. We don't need to arrest these students. We need to keep them in schools."

Sheriff Lott:
"Too often, these teachers in these schools are calling on the cops because they have a disruptive student in the classroom. This is not a cop's job. Unfortunately, our Legislature passed a law that's called 'disturbing schools,' If a student disturbs school -- and that's a wide range of activities, 'disturbing schools' -- they can be arrested. Our goal has always been to see what we can do without arresting the kids. We don't need to arrest these students. We need to keep them in schools."

This is what happens when we let cops into schools and allow them to treat students like criminals.

aclu-3rd-grader-handcuff-facebookJumbo.jpg

An SRO did this to a kid in Kentucky. The kid is eight years old and has ADD. Why do we think this is okay?

Image, story and video:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/u...g-of-boy-8-and-girl-9-in-kentucky-school.html

This is what happens when we let cops into schools and allow them to treat students like criminals.

An SRO did this to a kid in Kentucky. The kid is eight years old and has ADD. Why do we think this is okay?

Image, story and video:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/u...g-of-boy-8-and-girl-9-in-kentucky-school.html

It isn't just kids either. Parents are bullied by these cops because they don't follow policy or procedure etc...
Or this case in Tennessee in 2013 where a father was arrested by the RO because he didn't follow correct "Pick up protocol".

Jim Howe was arrested by School Resource Officer Avery Aytes for not taking proper protocol when picking up his kids at an elementary school in Tennessee.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dad-arrested-pick-kids-school-article-1.1523389

Something else I am tired of is the excuse that Police always have to arrest someone because there is some random, vague law and police are just "following the law."

This is not true. There is the legal avenue that Police have Discretion.
They can choose whom to arrest, whom to focus on, what crimes are important to them, etc....
Just because there is some horribly written law out there does not mean they must arrest people who violate it.

Many times police play fast and loose with discretion when it suits them and then claim they have none when it suits them. They can't have it both ways.

Something else I am tired of is the excuse that Police always have to arrest someone because there is some random, vague law and police are just "following the law."

This is not true. There is the legal avenue that Police have Discretion.
They can choose who to arrest, who to focus on, what crimes are important to them, etc....
Just because there is some horribly written law out there does not mean they must arrest people who violate it.

Many times police play fast and loose with discretion when it suits them and then claim they have none when it suits them. They can't have it both ways.

For some time now, have felt US citizens have lost control over their LE, and that the country is on a very slippery slope because of it. Common sense is not prevailing day in and day out.

Now there is much retaliation and outright revenge within the US from LE aggression/bullying - no one needs that. The US has always been the 'go-to' country for help to fix oppression in other parts of the world. Unfortunately, that view is dimming imo. That worries me - who's next in line to fill that role?

Are you seriously surprised that a young girl who was brutally body slammed by a cop, then picked up and thrown ten feet across the room received injuries?

Sheriff Fires Deputy for Tossing Teen Across Classroom

I might be surprised if the BBM had actually happened. Did we watch the same video?

A body slam is when someone is picked up and hurled onto the ground. The girl was not picked up high enough off the floor for it to be considered a body slam. He did not throw her 10 ft. She was dragged across the floor.

IMO

I might be surprised if the BBM had actually happened. Did we watch the same video?

A body slam is when someone is picked up and hurled onto the ground. The girl was not picked up high enough off the floor for it to be considered a body slam. He did not throw her 10 ft. She was dragged across the floor.

IMO

I thought body slam was a mosh pit move, ala slam dancing.

I saw him slam his body against hers and throw her to the ground and I would say that counts as "brutally body slammed."

JMO.

eta:
Classroom cop is FIRED: School deputy who body slammed student is spotted smiling just hours before he is dumped ... as teen's lawyer reveals injuries - including rug burn on her face

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...riddled-injuries-including-rug-burn-face.html

IMO
The girl was not dragged. Watch the video. Even the Sheriff said that the reason he fired the deputy was because he threw the girl which is not allowed under policy.
In the video you can see that he yanks her out of the overturned desk and then flings her to the right of screen. For the action to be considered a DRAG he must maintain contact with her.
You can see he has no hands on her after flinging her and he then has to take several steps to even get to where she is lying on the floor. That is not a DRAG. That is throwing or flinging.

He also picked her up by her Neck to flip her over. That can easily cause injuries.

She also landed on her back during the flip. We also do not know what injuries she might have sustained during the cuffing process when he was bending her arms, pressing on her back, etc...

What does society learn from the disrespect shown to those in authority?

Anybody that has not been in a classroom in ages please spend a week volunteering in your local middle school classroom. Then come and tell us how it went.

It's something you can never imagine what those teachers and principals are dealing with every single day.

What does society learn from the disrespect shown to those in authority?

I think it depends on why you think someone has authority and who that authority is over and how they may exercise that authority.

I think you should RESPECT every one as a human being not because they have authority.
I don't think people who believe they have authority should be disrespecting anyone as a matter of course.

I don't see how she doesn't have a shin injury to her left leg where her leg hits the desk behind her.
I also have heard that the officer asked a nearby student to move away and that he removed the girls laptop off her desk which makes me believe the office knew he was about to do something that required more room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member