SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do those in authority have to do to maintain order if they aren't to be listened to? What would you want to happen. Just sheer bedlam?

That's what would happen with no authority given to those who have earned it through education and hard work.

We weren't there. But from the looks on most of her classmates they were thinking..good riddance. They didn't look surprised or outraged by the incident. Seemed to be business as usual for that young girl.

That is a false argument. No Authority does not equal bedlam.
I don't know what education and hard work you think cops have that has granted them this authority. The only authority they hold they hold at the pleasure of the people. It is granted by the people and we have higher authority to remove that authority.
Have you seen the interviews of several of her classmates? I wouldn't say they were thinking good riddance or weren't surprised.
And from what they have said this student was usually quiet and not a problem. And even if she had been a problem there are proper avenues for addressing problem students that don't require some teacher to think his authority is absolute.

And what that cop did was no where in any authority he has been granted by the people.

So what do those in authority have to do to maintain order if they aren't to be listened to? What would you want to happen. Just sheer bedlam?

That's what would happen with no authority given to those who have earned it through education and hard work.

We weren't there. But from the looks on most of her classmates they were thinking..good riddance. They didn't look surprised or outraged by the incident. Seemed to be business as usual for that young girl.

Why do you think that? Do you know more about her than the rest of us?

I got the idea the kids were "Business as usual" because they were familiar with this particular officer's brutality and they all got out their phones so they could record his abuse. Although I doubt they expected him to go as far as he did.

BBM

Have read and heard a different opinion for the lack of response by all but one student - I tend to agree with the other opinion. You know she was new right?

BBM

Have read and heard a different opinion for the lack of response by all but one student - I tend to agree with the other opinion. You know she was new right?

And it was completely unprofessional for that teacher not to know the circumstances of his students and for the Admin to come to a classroom without first quickly reading her file.
I can not imagine the school was not aware of her circumstances and better prepared for this response.

Your mind was already made up, so you are going to see what ever you want to see.

Yep...just watched different perspectives and views of the video on youtube and thought about posting one here but then thought why bother.
There is one that shows that after being pulled from the desk she is up in the air and then slammed/dropped/thrown to the ground and lands on her back.
IMO

If that had been my child, I would shake his hand. I would also insist that my child apologize to all for the disruption she caused. She would also face consequences at home.

I can't imagine the circumstances under which I would thank someone for assaulting my child. Maybe if he threw himself at her because she was about to be hit by a car. But because she was acting out in school and his childish anger got the best of him? No. I read cases on here about the horrible things parents do to their children, or they let others do to their children... I don't know how they can be okay with it. It's shocking to me people would give others permission to abuse their children. I don't know how or why you can or would.

JMO.

Yep...just watched different perspectives and views of the video on youtube and thought about posting one here but then thought why bother.
There is one that shows that after being pulled from the desk she is up in the air and then slammed/dropped/thrown to the ground and lands on her back.
IMO

My heart hurts for her. I can't believe we live in a world where anyone thinks it is EVER acceptable to treat a young woman like that.

RE: Thanking and shaking the hand of former LEO Ben Fields...

I deal with all these "talk tuff" parents everyday in the course of my work; more often than not, they're the parents of the kids I work with who are court-ordered to attend our alternative incarceration groups. They're the parents who see any verbal challenge by their child/teen as a sign of disrespect and an attack on their parental authority. They often have an "I'll show him/her attitude", much like Ex-officer Ben Fields. It doesn't work for parents and it didn't work for Ben Fields.

One has to go a long way back in time for this response to hold true. Hanging onto the thought that this how things still are is, imo, a slippery slope.

Today, time and time again, those with education, training and experience (and a uniform and badge) are being found guilty of fraud, theft, brutality, rape, murder and every other offense on the US law books. Teachers, clergy, cops ... the list goes on.

Hope everyone lands on their feet - but under the impression it will be a long slide first.

All jmo - and lots of MSM articles to boot.

It's the few that abuse their power we read about. We never hear about the good ones.

My heart hurts for her. I can't believe we live in a world where anyone thinks it is EVER acceptable to treat a young woman like that.

Same. I'm wondering what her future holds now since she more than likely can't go back to that school even if she wanted to which I very much doubt.
It was a public shaming for her. I hope she can at some point put it behind her and move on with her life. IMO

i can't imagine the circumstances under which i would thank someone for assaulting my child. maybe if he threw himself at her because she was about to be hit by a car. but because she was acting out in school and his childish anger got the best of him? No. I read cases on here about the horrible things parents do to their children, or they let others do to their children... I don't know how they can be okay with it. It's shocking to me people would give others permission to abuse their children. I don't know how or why you can or would.

Jmo.

lmao.

I deal with all these "talk tuff" parents everyday in the course of my work; more often than not, they're the parents of the kids I work with who are court-ordered to attend our alternative incarceration groups. They're the parents who see any verbal challenge by their child/teen as a sign of disrespect and an attack on their parental authority. They often have an "I'll show him/her attitude", much like Ex-officer Ben Fields. It doesn't work for parents and it didn't work for Ben Fields.

So a parent who thinks what Fields did was a-okay might be a parent who would smack (or worse) his or her own child for backtalk?

I honestly can not comprehend this parenting style where a child is expected to never question anything and comply with all commands. How is that productive to learning or growing or being an adult?

I honestly think a lot of this is parents being so wrapped up in their off-spring that any thing that child does is a reflection on them and it "embarrasses" them when the child isn't perfect. So they micromanage every part of that child's life.
It also is partially because these parents can never admit they are wrong and especially not to some child. So everything must be 100% compliance no matter how ridiculous the request.

It's the few that abuse their power we read about. We never hear about the good ones.

They ain't so few anymore imo. Have posted a couple of times a good public relations campaign by LE would be really good about now. Have only seen 2 vids in the last year or so that depict a cop as a person - one Canadian and one American - both well done with much thought and work put into them.

That's it? That's all LE has?

I honestly can not comprehend this parenting style where a child is expected to never question anything and comply with all commands. How is that productive to learning or growing or being an adult?

I honestly think a lot of this is parents being so wrapped up in their off-spring that any thing that child does is a reflection on them and it "embarrasses" them when the child isn't perfect. So they micromanage every part of that child's life.
It also is partially because these parents can never admit they are wrong and especially not to some child. So everything must be 100% compliance no matter how ridiculous the request.

And any response to non-compliance is justified. If the officer had Tazed or shot her there are people who would have been just fine with it and still blamed her.

Sheriff Lott:
"Too often, these teachers in these schools are calling on the cops because they have a disruptive student in the classroom. This is not a cop's job. Unfortunately, our Legislature passed a law that's called 'disturbing schools,' If a student disturbs school -- and that's a wide range of activities, 'disturbing schools' -- they can be arrested. Our goal has always been to see what we can do without arresting the kids. We don't need to arrest these students. We need to keep them in schools."

Sheriff Lott sounds like good people.

This is why we have a generation of young adults with zero critical thinking skills. Thinking for yourself is verboten in our public schools. And creativity is punished rather than lauded.

Welcome to Murrica.

Sure we do. Perhaps you just haven't noticed because "employee did the job he was paid a salary by the public to do"-type stories aren't terribly interesting. How often do you expect to read stories like "cab driver delivered passenger safely despite bad traffic" or "line cook prepared meal without giving customer food poisoning"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member