GUILTY SC - Grace Carlson-SantaCruz, 5 mos, Myrtle Beach, 3 Nov 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for your comment Redux. I am also a recovering addict/alcoholic and my story is very similar. I was a social drinker for over 20 years before it became a problem. I kept it together while my children were growing up and hit bottom (twice) once they were grown. While alcohol is my drug of choice, I dabbled in other drugs but always drew the line when it came to the highly addictive stuff.

Addicts do have choices and taking responsibility for their actions is critical to recovery. With over 20 arrests for a wide variety of offenses, Sarah is not just an addict, but a criminal. She's had plenty of wake-up calls to get herself straight. She chose not to. It sounds like she never took responsibility for her actions, blame it on the drugs, blah, blah, blah.

Respectfully sunflowerchick, where does personal responsibility play into your rant about addiction as a health crisis? There is a lot of help available for addicts, they have to make the choice to take advantage of it.

DSS cannot investigate a newborn child based on the history of a parent. DSS needs a report of abuse or neglect to the specific child to get involved.

Seriously?? Wow. That needs to change.

Thanks for your comment Redux. I am also a recovering addict/alcoholic and my story is very similar. I was a social drinker for over 20 years before it became a problem. I kept it together while my children were growing up and hit bottom (twice) once they were grown. While alcohol is my drug of choice, I dabbled in other drugs but always drew the line when it came to the highly addictive stuff.

Addicts do have choices and taking responsibility for their actions is critical to recovery. With over 20 arrests for a wide variety of offenses, Sarah is not just an addict, but a criminal. She's had plenty of wake-up calls to get herself straight. She chose not to. It sounds like she never took responsibility for her actions, blame it on the drugs, blah, blah, blah.

Respectfully sunflowerchick, where does personal responsibility play into your rant about addiction as a health crisis? There is a lot of help available for addicts, they have to make the choice to take advantage of it.

In my own personal experience, there is not a lot of help out there, unless you have money or insurance that covers addiction issues.

In my own personal experience, there is not a lot of help out there, unless you have money or insurance that covers addiction issues.

I used to think that same thing, until I hit bottom when I did not have money or the insurance to cover it. Saying they don't have the money or insurance is just another way for the addict to put the blame on somebody else rather than taking responsibility for their actions.

She chose to get high whilst she had a baby in her care... I think it's very selfish to keep a child that you can't look after properly. Either have the child adopted, or at least leave them in the safe care of relatives whilst you go off and do drugs.

I searched it and all I got was a local business at 800 shem creek circle

The Arrest Warrant said, "515 Sims Dr, Myrtle Beach, SC" and I got a residential home. Google says, "Socastee, SC" instead of Myrtle Beach. Same home.

why did they take her to the hospital 'before' sitting her down to talk to her???
No media mentioning names, odd.
IMO if she was 'tripping' out someone would find baby girl still in house.
IMO she probably did do this evil deed and took her time before going to the neighbors house.
It is 60 degrees and raining there..........

They may have wanted to be extra careful with her -- apparently she was not quite "all right," so they may have wanted her to have a quick exam to make sure she didn't have a head injury or that she wasn't clinically psychotic -- if it can be seen quickly. Dunno.

I used to think that same thing, until I hit bottom when I did not have money or the insurance to cover it. I was hospitalized for a week, which medical insurance paid all but $3,000. From there I went into a 12-step program that is free. It works if you work it.

As for the $3,000 hospital bill, they let me pay it off in installments over a 2 year period. Even if I didn't have medical insurance the hospital would have still had to admit me because alcohol withdrawal can be life threatening. If you don't can't pay your hospital bill, the hospital sends it to collection. If they can't collect from you in a year or two, they just write it off. Sure it hurts your credit rating, but being sober is worth that price.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but you did have insurance. I just recentley went through this with a loved one. No hospital would admit her unless she was near death. But if you need help before it gets to that extreme, choices can be limited. I spent a week calling every social agency I could find, begging pleading and crying for help until I finally got a referral to a place that was sliding scale fee. They let you stay and be monitored for four days to get over the worst of the withdrawals and make sure you didn't die. Then a referral to a doctor for further care. That was it. But we were grateful that we found some help at all.

did any man come forward yet as father to Grace?
any relatives at all for these little ones?
I see from above post the older daughter has a father in and out of her life.

WMBF Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=33 year old sarah lane toney

It looks like I may need to amend my initial diagnosis of postpartum psychosis. It may still have something to do with that, but if so, it was probably exacerbated with a thick icing of crystal meth and some bath salt sprinkles, along with a side dish of pot brownies.

I think there may be an off chance that mommy dearest planned on committing suicide, but quickly abandoned the idea once she realized that drowning one's self isn't as easy as it sounds...... whereas drowning an infant is much easier than it should be.

bbm

Hmmm -- That sounds plausible, IMO. Agreed, it is hard, from what I've read, to drown oneself -- it takes longer than one might think, and the primitive impulse to save oneself is hard to resist.

One cannot un-shoot a gun to one's head; it's tuff to undo eating a bunch of pills, tho possible; one cannot un-jump off of a 10-story building, etc., etc., but one does have a good chance of surviving an attempted drowning suicide. And if this is what it turns out to be, I'm guessing she figured her 9 y/o could take care of herself. SMH.

A little O/T, and it will not help Baby Grace, but right now I have friends that are fostering a meth addicted baby, and if/when Bio-mom's rights are terminated, they will adopt her. It is Bio-mom's 3rd strike. The first baby was born addicted and adopted by the grandmother. 18 months later the 2nd addicted baby was born and grandmother asked a young couple at church to take him. They did and he has been adopted. Now another 18 months later, baby #3 is born addicted and living with the my friend, whose sister adopted the 18 month old. She is 6 weeks old. They took her home from the hospital after 7 days and are currently weaning her off of methadone. Bio-mom signed papers to have her tubes tied to avoid jail time. It is really sad that it took 3 addicted babies for her to stop. Bio-mom has not even been sentenced for charges related to baby #2 and it's been a year and a half. I don't know what needs to change. I am thankful for my friends, their family and their church. I have seen first hand how hard it is to sooth these babies.

ETA: I'm not suggesting that Baby Grace was born addicted or that mom is on drugs. It's just that after baby Chance and some of the others, and now Baby Grace - this epidemic breaks my heart. This may not be the ideal place for my post... I don't know... Just sad today.

Thanks for the info and sad story which turned into a blessing.

We all have our moments, and usually it's a mad-rant, but a sad-rant (that's not the right term, really) is just as valid. Hope you feel better. The world can be a mighty tuff place sometimes.

Why do people do these things?

And bless your sweet heart.

News at noon. http://wbtw.com/

Summary: WBTW Search continues. Crews began searching at 9:00 am this morning. Sarah said she lost her baby in rushing water behind her Sims drive home. Search is continuing in that area. Due to the current it is likely she was washed into the intracoastal waterway. They are using sonar to search the waterway.

A friend was interviewed: She was trying her best to do what is right for her children. She had some demons she needed to deal with to be the best mother. Those demons include drugs and possible postpartum depression. She has two other children.

More good news. Dayam. Does she have custody of one or both?

So an autopsy will be able to determine if Baby Grace drowned? Not to be cynical - but I am....

Another cynic back-atcha.

What will the autopsy results tell us? We need to make sure at least what ~mom~ has said is so -- that little Grace was alive when she went into the water -- although I wish maybe not -- that she was already gone before that. There would be, I assume creek water in her little baby lungs, just like it is found with older children and with adults. Other injuries -- we'll see. SMH.

Yes, in these cases, our mantra continues to be what has already been said here, "What is wrong with people?"

And to that I'll add mine: Just dammit. :(

Was Grace found "near a creek" because the creek had gone down?

Hmmmm -- Thanks for posting. I had not noticed the "near a creek" wording until I saw this post. "Near a creek," makes me wonder a bit.

I had the same thought. It was damp, cold and rainy that day. Certainly not a good day for a swim. I think she was so high that she didn't know what she was doing. And I think she should be charged with murder.

bbm

Absolutely. Planning. Premeditation. It takes a few minutes to walk out of the house, a few more to go down to the creek and a few more minutes to find a place to wade in the water and "lose" her. Yes, that is First Degree Murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back