SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who keep your phone in your lap, do you drive a stick shift?

I drive a stick and do not put my phone in my lap. I have before when driving an automatic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post! Thanks for sharing. In regards to deleting of posts. It is also possible that she deleted some prior to disappearing, but we don't know because we were not looking. She was involved with OM, which her father didn't know and her posts are very... Um... Not something I would want my parents to read. Maybe she deleted some. To your point, if someone else deleted them, they will be figure it out bc it never goes away! Write it regret it! Also, I know not everyone is like me, but I remember when people remove their posts even a month or so later. Well, not everyone but someone close to me. So it is possible that someone would remember a huge chunk of posts being gone. My cousin is notorious for writing things on Facebook...complaining, and then deleting after she gets sympathy and pity.

Again, great post!
Thats a great point - I have a family member that used to do the same thing. I'm going to look at peoplebrowsr to see if it can pick up on my private posts.

Just jumping in here. Have not had enough time to read 10 threads on this case. Looking at the boat dock and ramp area and putting my head in that of the perp's.

The boat ramp is a great place to dump a car. 50/50 bet if it was left there or the original intent was to run it down the ramp into the water and something spooked the perp and he just left it there. I assume it was dusted and checked. Doubt an experienced perp would have left prints anyway.

It would need to be an individual who knew about the boat ramp. It's not something you would stumble across unless the perp is a stalker and drove all the roads a number of times and chanced across the boat ramp and boat dock....unless she suggested it as a meeting place.

Great egress to 544 and all the back roads in the area. Could not ask for a better place to drive a car into and dump it with a low percentage chance of being seen, and a quick escape in a second car, or quick escape on foot to 544 and anywhere else in the country.

Does not look like a place that I would want to meet someone after dark.

Are all the boats at the dock registered and membership required? Do they rent slips to someone traveling? If so, did LE check the log book to see what boats were there at the time she went missing, and after she left? Any still missing? Any police report about a stolen boats in the area?

Were ground scent dogs used at the ramp imprinted on a scent article? If not, huge chance was lost to determine if she was there or the car was dumped by others.

Lots of wooded area. Lots of lagoons. SAR worst case nightmare, short of the Rockies in the middle of winter.

Outlier theories:

1. Someone met her at the ramp in a boat with the pretext of going for an evening boat trip.

2. Interstate truck driver on 544.

From your user name, I assume you've been involved in SAR. Is it with dogs that you have? Just curious if bloodhounds or other type of ground scent dogs would've been able to detect her scent if others using the boat between, say the 18th and 21st or 22nd, had been walking through the area? (We read in Taleka Patrick case that the dogs picked up her scent near where her car was found almost a week afterwards. But that was on the shoulder of an interstate where one won't expect people moving thru the area on a regular basis.) I don't remember exactly what the weather was like, but I thought that there had been no rain between the 18th and the weekend.

I know very little about scent dogs. I ran across a lady once near a large wooded park that was waiting to run her SAR dog through a periodic (annual?) re-certification. Someone was going to hide in the woods and the dog was going to have to find them. She told me that her dog - part Belgian Shepherd and part German Shepherd - did not rely solely on ground scent, but rather what was in the air as well. (If I have that explanation correct.) She told me of case where SAR had gone out looking for an elderly person who had Alzheimer's. Bloodhounds spent all day in the area and found the scent, but couldn't locate the person. She stated she went out the next day and her dog found the person.

In the case here we don't what kind of dog was used, but I believe Horry County has bloodhounds, which is what I'm guessing you'd need here.

Does anyone here have a 20 y/old daughter?

What 20 yr/old sends a pic to her father from a "first date"?

Is anyone disturbed by HE having supposedly sent this picture? I sure am.

Date dismissed,..really? I'm starting to learn towards HE having possibly been set up. The OM and his wife are very convenient, but what if that's all they are?
This picture sent to TE, or to anyone from the date, on THAT NIGHT, bugs the Hell out of me.

Perhaps the 20 year old who wanted her dad to teach her to drive a stick? And the 20 year old who texted pics of the Christmas presents she wanted instead of saying, 'Hey Dad, I want a laptop for Christmas'?

I agree that often nothing is what it appears to be in these cases and what seems like the glaring POI is not. But, I don't know that the pic is a big deal because it could have just as well been sent it to her roommate or any number of other people. If I wanted to set someone up, I would send or facilitate sending timestamped content to the person they're most likely to text. I doubt that was her father.

I think there's a lot we don't know about her phone activity that night and early morning. And I think some of the pieces of what we do know can end up as a focus when, as another poster said, there may be something right under our noses we're not seeing.

I think there may be some surprises in the outcome of this case. I don't profess to know what happened. But I think sometimes the focus is lost because we're struggling to interpret insufficient data. Just my opinion and how I approach things I guess. I have no more insight than anyone else.

For those of you who keep your phone in your lap, do you drive a stick shift?

Yes. I also have a habit of using the cup holder. Can't even tell you why I put it in my lap at times.

BBM:But you can backdate an existing post. (You have to post, then backdate.)
http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/advanced_post_options#backdate-can
If someone had HE's phone, they could have done this with the last posts since no one was looking for her until the 19th, unless someone actually SAW those posts at the time they were posted. Or if they had her password, they could also do this.

In addition, as I mentioned previously, you can change your time zone in Tumblr, any posts you make will be at that time zone. Then you can change back to your current time zone and the new posts will be at the current time zone. The older posts don't change time with the time zone change. Someone would have to be thinking about this, but it can be done with minimal effort.

As to whether HE might have had any posts in her queue, that's anyone's guess. I know several people that randomly queue things depending on their mood. (maybe finds several things they like, but don't want to repost them all one one day, or has several thoughts at once and want to space them out)

But, as I said before, I don't trust Tumblr.

ETA: Nice SM activity list, BTW

Here posts may have been forward dated too….Anyone here play candy crush? When you need more lives, you roll your clock forward 2 hours and poof, 4 new lives. You can do this repeatedly and keep playing as long as you want. Earlier that day or even the night before she may have been playing candy crush, then posted some things on tumbler before she remembered to roll her clock back to the real time and date. In this case all of the sad depressing posts would have been before her awesome date, and then have no conflict between the times the date said he dropped her off.

From your user name, I assume you've been involved in SAR. Is it with dogs that you have? Just curious if bloodhounds or other type of ground scent dogs would've been able to detect her scent if others using the boat between, say the 18th and 21st or 22nd, had been walking through the area? (We read in Taleka Patrick case that the dogs picked up her scent near where her car was found almost a week afterwards. But that was on the shoulder of an interstate where one won't expect people moving thru the area on a regular basis.) I don't remember exactly what the weather was like, but I thought that there had been no rain between the 18th and the weekend.

I know very little about scent dogs. I ran across a lady once near a large wooded park that was waiting to run her SAR dog through a periodic (annual?) re-certification. Someone was going to hide in the woods and the dog was going to have to find them. She told me that her dog - part Belgian Shepherd and part German Shepherd - did not rely solely on ground scent, but rather what was in the air as well. (If I have that explanation correct.) She told me of case where SAR had gone out looking for an elderly person who had Alzheimer's. Bloodhounds spent all day in the area and found the scent, but couldn't locate the person. She stated she went out the next day and her dog found the person.

In the case here we don't what kind of dog was used, but I believe Horry County has bloodhounds, which is what I'm guessing you'd need here.

yes tracker is verified SAR manager

I just think that article is confusing, because her father repeatedly has said that he had not talked or seen her since, I don't even know when. I don't think he's lying.

I thought about that to. Maybe she texted her dad the pic with the caption. Later on talking to BW she may have said I told my dad I learned how to drive a stick. BW then interpreted it as she "talked" to TE instead of communicated with him.

That seems like really quick to be browsing/sharing. Does Heather's other posts show a similar pattern? If she never posted like that before, I would be suspicious.

I've seen it done on a lot of tumblr pages and don't find the speed of it odd, rather the timeframe odd...I mean, wasn't she still on this date? If he didn't see her using the phone then who was posting? If he noticed her using the phone, was she pretending to be happy while masking the sadness the posts portrayed. I think she'd be aware enough to realize the date could see it later on and wonder.

Date dismissed,..really? I'm starting to learn towards HE having possibly been set up. The OM and his wife are very convenient, but what if that's all they are?
This picture sent to TE, or to anyone from the date, on THAT NIGHT, bugs the Hell out of me.

I thought it was odd for her to send a picture to either parent, but especially her father. IMO, she and her father were not that close, actually, with either parent. Her father has said he didn't know about OM, anything about who her date was, anything about her ex, including any of their names, her work schedule, more that can't be said.... But yet she texts him a picture? My dad maybe wouldn't have known these things at 20, but I wouldn't have sent him a text during a date. I also don't think the mom knew either because if she knew, she would have told the dad.

Creative, calculating, deflective, manipulative, and no empathy for others, imo..
Unfortunately, because of where HE worked, she could have been easy prey for a creep with these characteristics. You know, the kind capable of anything, and certainly able to pass a poly. (No, i'm not suggesting date, this is just MOO).
If stalked by an experienced perp who wanted her, he would have known her lifestyle, plans and been very capable of following the entire night, just to grab HE at some point.
Just another thought here, IMHO, it's possible. All a creep would have to do is use what's already going on in HE's life, and it 'could' be cake. Scary, but possible, IMO.

I thought it was odd for her to send a picture to either parent, but especially her father. IMO, she and her father were not that close, actually, with either parent. Her father has said he didn't know about OM, anything about who her date was, anything about her ex, including any of their names, her work schedule, more that can't be said.... But yet she texts him a picture? My dad maybe wouldn't have known these things at 20, but I wouldn't have sent him a text during a date. I also don't think the mom knew either because if she knew, she would have told the dad.

But what this means is the date is lying and TE lacks awareness about Heather's pattern of behavior when contacting him. I just think that's a precarious place to go at this point, since LE can easily check the date's phone and there is currently no information that points a finger at the guy. Nor does TE seem that lacking in discernment. JMO.

Here posts may have been forward dated too….Anyone here play candy crush? When you need more lives, you roll your clock forward 2 hours and poof, 4 new lives. You can do this repeatedly and keep playing as long as you want. Earlier that day or even the night before she may have been playing candy crush, then posted some things on tumbler before she remembered to roll her clock back to the real time and date. In this case all of the sad depressing posts would have been before her awesome date, and then have no conflict between the times the date said he dropped her off.

Better way to get more lives - go to your application manager - clear the cache- go back to CC it'll ask you to play or connect- connect and it takes you right back to the level you were on that's linked to FB and your lives are refreshed. I learned this from a 13 year old. Sorry for going off topic.

I have a 20 yr old son, 19 yr old son, 18 yr old daughter... my boys very randomly send me pics- but they do sometimes send a pic of something they are blowing up to floridadaddy. My daughter sends me pics often... few times a week... I don't think there is anything at all off about that situation. Most everything else, yes. But not a girl sending her daddy a pic of something he's been telling her to learn to do!

IMO - she sent this picture to her dad because of their ongoing discussion of her learning to drive a stick - this is very specific. If it were a random picture, I'd agree that is is way weird.

I will agree with the poster upthread who suggested there may be a suprise at the culmination of HE's myserious disappearance. I am not alluding to anything at all, just kinda prepared to be surprised where this goes. Too many unanswered oddities in several directions.

It didn't bother me at first. I figured she was finally going out with a nice young man that the family approved of and had known for a while, and that they were both part of a running joke with the family.

But when I found out TE didn't even know the guy...I dunno. Unless she and her father regularly communicated by text, which we don't know, it does seem odd. Not in any kind of "something funny going on" sense, but just in the "it doesn't quite fit" sense.

Just trying to catch up. I know for me , I was super excited when I learned to drive a stick shift. I can guarantee if we had phones like this when I learned, I would have sent it to my dad.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk now Free

I have two sons around this age and see nothing at all questionable about texting a parent during a date - even a first date, particularly with someone you've known since HS. And I didn't know my older son's work schedule even when he lived with us. The schedule changed every week.

IMO - she sent this picture to her dad because of their ongoing discussion of her learning to drive a stick - this is very specific. If it were a random picture, I'd agree that is is way weird.

I agree. I think she sent the picture to him because she knew he'd want to know she was learning about stick shift.

Same as I might send my Dad a picture of a fish I caught, but not the new dress I bought. He'd be interested in the fish.

I also think the pic thing is odd. It was sometime after 10pm I believe. On a date, after 10pm and you think to send a pic to dad? I see what you're saying hockeymom4. I'd go on about my thoughts, but I don't really feel like causing blood pressures to rise at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia