SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookout is excellent for an Android phone,,,can it be put in remotely?

Yes it can. It's the one we used for my sister's phone. The way to do that is to go online and log into your Play store/Google account. And the great thing about it is the phone won't show any indication that something is being installed. Sorry, it's called Lookout's Plan B.

Hi new member here. Does anyone the amount of area covered by a cell tower? It seems all the locations of importance are close together and may use the same tower. Meaning whom ever is involved in Heathers disappearance may use the same tower at home or work as where her car was located and then ping info may not help LE? Does that make sense?

ETA: I did a google search and got a basic answer of 3-45 miles(thanks that narrows it down) depending on age and type of tower. I wasn't able to find specifics on the Myrtle Beach area.

welcome! :star: I just found this map.. not sure if it is helpful or not

http://www.city-data.com/towers/cell-Myrtle-Beach-South-Carolina.html

I feel really bad for the roommate.Having to move and help pack up HE's belongings.I do feel she is a victim in this as well.As a mother,how would you console or explain this to your daughter?I caught a glimpse yesterday how in a blink of an eye your life can change.My daughter's best friend was airlifted to the hospital after having a four wheeler accident.The not knowing how she was doing was agonizing for my daughter to say the least.Thankfully she only had a fractured pelvis and a concussion.I pray for the roommate and her family as well.

I just felt compelled to post this so please be gentle. There is so much going on with the "facts" and rumors and this person and that, that I know, personally I lost sight of the person that this is all about. I spent some time on her SM today just kind of getting to know her and I feel so sad. She was a young, beautiful, hopeful woman who was not afraid to express herself and I think that is something that her family should be proud of. I started reading her posts about love and the future and I realized that she truly believed (like we all did I guess) that she would one day fine the great love of her life, that she would get a chance to travel and excel in her chosen profession. She would have this amazing life with her amazing friends and my heart broke when I realized that IMO I don't think that she ever will get that chance. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I tend to get caught up in the "facts" of cases and forget the person, maybe it's a way to deal with the usual outcome. So today was a humbling experience for me. To the Elvis family, there are no words, the best I can do is to keep you in my prayers. To the person/people responsible, I truly believe that God's wrath will be stronger than anything that we mortals can do. And to my WS family, keep doing the awesome job that you are doing. I am very thankful for each and everyone of you. Praying that Heather comes home soon.

Just wanted to chime in here referring to STL's earlier post. Pings and coordinates of a cell phone can be narrowed down VERY close to a location, often times exact. We've had 911 hang ups that can be narrowed down to a house or 2. Over 4 years ago, my mom had the police knock on her door saying they believe someone called 911 from her yard. I currently have the Lookout app on my phone, and if I was to go online now and log into my account, it will show my phone being in my house. I can even get a street view of the house. My sister's phone was stolen, and we remotely put an app on her phone AFTER it was stolen and was tracking it online as the person was driving around with the phone. Once the phone was stopped at an address, she got the police to meet her at that address to get her phone back.

A little off topic, the lookout app is amazing. It will email you a picture taken using your phone's camera when someone enters my password wrong 3 times. You can also remotely send signals to your phone to engage either the front or rear camera, engage the mic, or even to scream if you can't find your phone because it's on silent. It's actually kind of freaky but I've caught my niece trying to get into my phone on many occasions. It was worth it for me after my phone was stolen while at a restaurant, and I never got it back and lost ALL of my 1000+ pictures.

This is really interesting and I am sure technology is advancing more and more along these lines.

Here is the thing I am wondering about.

We know that specific GPS signals can be obtained by 911 when a person calls directly because LE can do things while phone is on with them, but does the normal phone company logged information only include like Cell Tower pings and may not include GPS location? I wonder if any specific GPS location information is part of the information that is logged to the records that could be obtained OR is it just basic cell tower pings and the like.

I think unless the phone company already has certain information automatically logged to the recods, then I am afraid there is not much more they can do AFTER the cell phone is turned off or smashed or SIM card removed or sunk under water or something along those lines. Because the phone is then disabled, so they could not do anything fancy unless the phone is turned back on at a later date.

RE: SC having the death penalty

Yes they do, but they don't use it often. IMO if it wasn't good enough for Susan Smith, what is the point?

My initial thought was that Heather was killed accidentally in an argument. That thought led me to think that she may be found quickly because it wasn't planned, someone panicked and she would be found close to PTL. Now I'm thinking even if this is still the case that whoever did this had all day Wednesday and most of the day Thursday to rethink their initial responses./reactions to whatever happened. Heather could be just about anywhere. Too much time passed before LE started asking questions. Whoever did this had too much time underneath the radar.
This case will be solved only if people dig deep and remember things from Wednesday and Thursday that may be clues to where Heather is. Things that may seem like nothing.
Certain information should have come out much earlier in this case when people's memories of those two days were fresh. Even if LE had any potential suspect on 24/7 surveillance from the night of the 19th until now-the damage was most likely already done.

My hope is that more than one person is aware of exactly what happened and a killer would be a volatile person so the likelihood of them keeping themselves in check with any one else in "the know" is slim. It's only a matter of time until they make someone mad. IF someone else knows. I really hoping for this.

I really believe they are waiting to find Heather. LE will only make a move if they have to, without Heather, I think. They are in the process of doing the legwork. It is not impossible, but it is much more difficult, to prosecute a case without the victim. All t's have to be crossed, all i's, dotted. Everyone interviewed and questioned, all the information/evidence put together.

This is the tedious, time consuming process. And they have to do it, while taking care of all other crimes in Horry County.

Just my 2 cents,

Salem

Makes sense. Thanks, Salem.

What is the latest on the searches?

Susan Smith has sense been in trouble while in jail,sleeping with the guards.This is fact,reported in MSM years ago.That case haunts me to this day,live not far from the area.David Smith has went on to have more children but still carries the pain of losing Michael and Alex.

Welcome Clemson girl!!

The SS case was terrible.

I feel really bad for the roommate.Having to move and help pack up HE's belongings.I do feel she is a victim in this as well.As a mother,how would you console or explain this to your daughter?I caught a glimpse yesterday how in a blink of an eye your life can change.My daughter's best friend was airlifted to the hospital after having a four wheeler accident.The not knowing how she was doing was agonizing for my daughter to say the least.Thankfully she only had a fractured pelvis and a concussion.I pray for the roommate and her family as well.

Hey, fellow CU lover! :) Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really interesting and I am sure technology is advancing more and more along these lines.

Here is the thing I am wondering about.

We know that specific GPS signals can be obtained by 911 when a person calls directly because LE can do things while phone is on with them, but does the normal phone company logged information only include like Cell Tower pings and may not include GPS location? I wonder if any specific GPS location information is part of the information that is logged to the records that could be obtained OR is it just basic cell tower pings and the like.

I think unless the phone company already has certain information automatically logged to the recods, then I am afraid there is not much more they can do AFTER the cell phone is turned off or smashed or SIM card removed or sunk under water or something along those lines. Because the phone is then disabled, so they could not do anything fancy unless the phone is turned back on at a later date.

I'm not completely sure about what all the phone company logs, but I would think that gps coordinates are also logged, at least for most phones. It seems like most smartphones now have an unseen gps and other things that you can't turn off. For example if you have an Android, go to SETTINGS, APPLICATION MANAGER, then to ALL.

And on the last paragraph of your post, I agree completely. :twocents:

And for whomever asked if a spouse can put it on their spouses phone without their knowledge, yes, remotely using Plan B. The regular Lookout app? No, there's an icon that could be seen.

Hi new member here. Does anyone the amount of area covered by a cell tower? It seems all the locations of importance are close together and may use the same tower. Meaning whom ever is involved in Heathers disappearance may use the same tower at home or work as where her car was located and then ping info may not help LE? Does that make sense?

ETA: I did a google search and got a basic answer of 3-45 miles(thanks that narrows it down) depending on age and type of tower. I wasn't able to find specifics on the Myrtle Beach area.

Your cell phone pings all the towers that your phone is in range of. It wouldn't matter if your phone only uses one tower in your area. As long as there are other towers within range to receive pings from your phone they will be able to triangulate the phone's location and track movement of the phone.

I think LE knows if those interviewed were in that area during the times most important to the case. Phone records, gps info, public reports etc...

I bet someone that really cares for Heather is deeply struggling right now, they loved her and now she's gone, they can't publicly share their pain, so they are trying to keep it together. They are being watched by not only LE and the community, but also their family. They are having to live a life of deception and lies. Every move they make is being analyzed with their info out among the public, a public that will not forget and is looking for Heather.

I would hate to be them, life is pretty much a living in hell right now.

I've had a nagging question and wonder if anyone can help? I'm sure the answer is simple but beyond me. Why was BW not asked to come back to the condo to look things over and help determine if HE slept at home that night? I know she is not a suspect and was on vacation, not implying anything. I understand everything can be done by camera, but two people living together have things that kind of stand out to them. I can tell as soon as I walk in the door if my husband is home, was home and gone back out, or hasn't been home yet just by a couple of simple glaces around the house. Not just housekeeping issues but small habits that someone has that can be telling. TIA

Who says she wasn't asked this? I have not seen anything to indicate she is not back living at their shared apartment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a nagging question and wonder if anyone can help? I'm sure the answer is simple but beyond me. Why was BW not asked to come back to the condo to look things over and help determine if HE slept at home that night? I know she is not a suspect and was on vacation, not implying anything. I understand everything can be done by camera, but two people living together have things that kind of stand out to them. I can tell as soon as I walk in the door if my husband is home, was home and gone back out, or hasn't been home yet just by a couple of simple glaces around the house. Not just housekeeping issues but small habits that someone has that can be telling. TIA

Maybe she did.
I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just thinking we do not know all of BW's movements nor to what extent LE has asked her to help.
I think she probably did whatever LE has asked.

I'm not completely sure about what all the phone company logs, but I would think that gps coordinates are also logged, at least for most phones. It seems like most smartphones now have an unseen gps and other things that you can't turn off. For example if you have an Android, go to SETTINGS, APPLICATION MANAGER, then to ALL.

And on the last paragraph of your post, I agree completely. :twocents:

And for whomever asked if a spouse can put it on their spouses phone without their knowledge, yes, remotely using Plan B. The regular Lookout app? No, there's an icon that could be seen.

2.0 and 2.3 androids only....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member