SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing/murdered person's cases in SC, specifically Horry County, SC are simply not getting resolved.. Why? Refusal to utilize all available resources, imo.

In 2005, the FBI held a symposium of LE experts from all over the world. The redefining of a serial killer was one of the objectives to enable the resources of the BAU2 to assist in state & local investigations. Eight years later, for various reasons, there are state law enforcement agencies that squander this very valuable resource, imo.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24502751/demanding-changes-to-missing-persons-cases-in-horry-county

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – The number of unsolved missing persons cases in Horry County is growing, families of the missing say it is unacceptable.
<sniped - read more>

SERIAL MURDER - FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit-2
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) hosted a multi-disciplinary Symposium in San Antonio, Texas, on August 29, 2005 through September 2, 2005. The goal of the Symposium was to bring together a group of respected experts on serial murder from a variety of fields and specialties, to identify the commonalities of knowledge regarding serial murder.

Attendees stressed the importance of law enforcement networking with other investigative agencies and cited the National Law Enforcement Teletype System (NLETS) messages, ViCAP Alerts, and the Law Enforcement Online (LEO) website as alternative mechanisms for sharing information to help determine other linked cases. The use of the FBI&#8217;s NCAVC, both the Behavioral Analysis Units and the Violent Criminal Apprehension Program, in linking potential cases was also encouraged.
The following definition was crafted:
Serial Murder: The unlawful killing of two or more victims by the same offender(s), in separate events.

Media Issues in Serial Murder Investigations

From the media&#8217;s standpoint, law enforcement withholds too much information and does not communicate adequately with the media. It is counterproductive for law enforcement to sustain contentious relationships with the media, while attempting to develop an overall strategy for a successful serial murder investigation. The only party who benefits from this negative relationship is the serial murderer, who may continue to avoid detection.

It becomes essential for law enforcement personnel involved in a serial murder investigation to design and implement an effective media plan. The media plan should provide timely information on a regular basis, without compromising the investigative endeavors.
Once a media plan is established, law enforcement can be more proactive than reactive in its media strategy.

I don't think specific areas searched are ever released, or should be, anyway.
But I also think having anyone under a 24-hr watch is super expensive and not done as often as we might wish or assume. JMO

My thoughts about where Heather is.
I think initially (12-24 hours after last phone activity) she was on private property. In someone's full control.
Then on Thursday morning after the car was still at PTL and no news of her missing I think someone took her on a road trip. Not too far but just far enough. I think during this time they had someone else watching for any activity at PTL to indicate that someone discovered HE was missing. The lookout person may not know where the road trip was just that they were a lookout for activity at PTL.
Therefore my perp probably missed work Thursday and probably some of Wednesday if not all of Wednesday. IF they had a mon-fri kind of job.

I just saw a weather forecast for MB tomorrow into Wednesday and I'm hoping the snow misses MB and surrounding areas. That will make any searches much more difficult.

It's definitely calling for snow here, or if not snow, freezing rain... along the coast in particular. I've gotten a gazillion winter weather storm alerts from my news app on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the primary cases involving women this age in recent years, Lauren, Kortne, Holly and Katelyn, that I follow closely, only Katelyn was found, eighteen months later, deceased, and about thirty miles from her home, if I recall correctly. No official POI has ever been named in her (or any of the cases, really except maybe Lauren's) although there has been suspicion on Katelyn's BF at the time. There was a rumor that where she was found was not far from the home of one of his relatives...not sure if this is true.

Anyway...if the BF is guilty...he went thirty or so miles, possibly to a spot he had been before. Just an observation. But also to show how many are never found.

My thoughts about where Heather is.
I think initially (12-24 hours after last phone activity) she was on private property. In someone's full control.
Then on Thursday morning after the car was still at PTL and no news of her missing I think someone took her on a road trip. Not too far but just far enough. I think during this time they had someone else watching for any activity at PTL to indicate that someone discovered HE was missing. The lookout person may not know where the road trip was just that they were a lookout for activity at PTL.
Therefore my perp probably missed work Thursday and probably some of Wednesday if not all of Wednesday. IF they had a mon-fri kind of job.

Interesting thought about the car! Are you suggesting that the car was intentionally left there so the perp(s) could gauge when Heather is suspected of gone missing? That makes perfect sense! As long as the car sat there, no one suspected anything. Once the car was no longer there, game on.

If perp is known to her, he could easily tell from social media she had not been missed, IMO.

Of the primary cases involving women this age in recent years, Lauren, Kortne, Holly and Katelyn, that I follow closely, only Katelyn was found, eighteen months later, deceased, and about thirty miles from her home, if I recall correctly. No official POI has ever been named in her (or any of the cases, really except maybe Lauren's) although there has been suspicion on Katelyn's BF at the time. There was a rumor that where she was found was not far from the home of one of his relatives...not sure if this is true.

Anyway...if the BF is guilty...he went thirty or so miles, possibly to a spot he had been before. Just an observation. But also to show how many are never found.

Yes, cluciano63, many victims are never located until an unsuspecting hunter or other outdoors person, dog walker, etc., happens upon them years or decades later.
Ironically, as I was reading the comments, the news was discussing a current NC murder trial that must have geographical profilers scratching their heads in confusion. The victim was dismembered and transported 1200 miles away to TX...

http://www.wral.com/convicted-kille...-his-ex-girlfriend-s-grisly-slaying/13316180/

Convicted killer's wife goes to trial in his ex-girlfriend's grisly slaying

RALEIGH, N.C. — Jury selection began Tuesday in the first-degree murder trial of a Raleigh woman accused of killing her husband's ex-girlfriend and then disposing of her dismembered remains in a Texas creek more than two years ago.

Do not discuss OMM or OMW in any way other that what is known thru the media and from law enforcement.

I am checking with Admin to see about posting a link to the FHFB for posters when they change.

Last night I noticed on the 48 hour crime map on HCPD's website that a a log of a "building/business check" was made around 11:49 pm on January 25th at a specific area on HWY 814. Could that possibly mean the people who own property at that location have been advised by HCPD not to leave the area & the officer did a check to make sure they were complying with their request?

Serious question.

I also noticed another "building/business check" was logged at PTL yesterday afternoon. So if nothing else--we know they are keeping tabs on PTL's location & activity in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, cluciano63, many victims are never located until an unsuspecting hunter or other outdoors person, dog walker, etc., happens upon them years or decades later.
Ironically, as I was reading the comments, the news was discussing a current NC murder trial that must have geographical profilers scratching their heads in confusion. The victim was dismembered and transported 1200 miles away to TX...

http://www.wral.com/convicted-kille...-his-ex-girlfriend-s-grisly-slaying/13316180/

Convicted killer's wife goes to trial in his ex-girlfriend's grisly slaying

RALEIGH, N.C. — Jury selection began Tuesday in the first-degree murder trial of a Raleigh woman accused of killing her husband's ex-girlfriend and then disposing of her dismembered remains in a Texas creek more than two years ago.

I believe the wife has family in Texas and it was across from their property the remains were dumped. It was a an intriguing case and one that reenforces the fact of just how far some will go to try to cover their tracks.

I would love a map of places searched.
I made a map that is over in the Media, Maps and Timeline thread, but for search areas, it only has the two search locations at Tidewater and McNair where the other bones were found. I haven't seen any articles with specific enough information about other sites (just "in x area", which is too vague to get a good idea how large an area was searched). If anyone has an article that has a specific area, I'd be happy to add it to the map.

I've been looking at the Daily Crime reports for the morning of December 18th. I've noted anything that stood out to me. You can take a look and see if anything looks interesting to you.

&#8226; On December 18th at 5:58 a.m. a vehicle was reported stolen from Mt. Leon Baptist Church.

&#8226; At 6:59 there was an assault at 26xx Hwy 905, just down the road from the Baptist church.

&#8226; At 3:47 a.m. there was a suspicious person/vehicle at 4000 block of Atalaya Pl.
I note this because the area looks interesting. It dead ends, then across the railway tracks is the dead end of Ronald McNair Blvd. Is that a gravel pit there? I believe there was a search on Ronald McNair on January 11th.

&#8226; At 8:13 a.m. there was an assault/rape reported at 60xx Horseshoe Circle.

&#8226; At 9:44 a.m. there was a burglary at 45xx Pee Dee Hwy.
I note this because all that's there is a couple of homes and a cemetery at that corner.
I also note it because on map view there is a marker in the middle of the field across the road that says "disney".

&#8226; At 11:46 there were shots fired near Shady Grove Rd. and Woodland Drive.

Here's the link.
http://spotcrime.com/sc/horry+county/daily/2013-12-18

Foul Play wasn't said by LE because then they would need to back it up when questioned. The disappearance of a young adult without any signs of struggle,threats of violence that were documented, etc doesn't point to foul play.

I agree. It is not for a fact foul play. That is why I asked my question. The original post stated they knew things and LE knew things, as facts, which is why I as asking. It was later changed to just their opinion. It gets tricky on here when people say they know things, when it is just their opinion. I thought, they really knew things and were a VI! Guess not.

I don't think specific areas searched are ever released, or should be, anyway.
But I also think having anyone under a 24-hr watch is super expensive and not done as often as we might wish or assume. JMO

I think it depends on the case. I can think of dour near me where the areas searched where released on the news, facebook pages, by SAR, the K9 team and family. They even did maps. In the beginng, only one looked like it wasn't foul play and in the end, even in the end, it wasn't the only one that was not.

LE doesn't always search when someone is missing. So, there is no reason why this information can't be shared. It is shared in an effort to not duplicate efforts.

I wonder in this case, if they are searching. And if they are, is is it because of their personal closeness to the family or in a job capacity or in case anything gets out of hand. I decided days ago to stop reading anything other than MSM because the rumors are getting out of control.

Very inspirational to see John Walsh has joined the Heather Elvis Team.. JW says, "you can make a difference"..
The tremendous amount of awareness created in Heather Elvis is simply amazing, imo..
Awareness is the key...

That is great! Can you post a link? I couldn't find that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01