SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 #18 **ARREST**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, could someone clarify.. how long can TM/SM be held with other charges pending ? Do the other charges have to be filed within so many hours ? Or till their next court date in May ? I have heard/read both
TIA

Sharethe Light, I think that you may be misinformed on the pro bono comment..

Depending on the state, the attorney fees can run into the million$, especially should this evolve into a homicide/death penalty case...

But IF a defendant qualifies for a PD and the PD outsources to a private attorney, the client does not pay the private attorney.

But if a defendant qualifies for a PD the private attorney would be doing it pro bono. I guess it would depend how much time it consumes to defend the person whether or not it's good for the practice. I agree though most criminal defense attys enjoy high profile limelight.
The fact that hers has already given a statement makes me wonder if he volunteered or was chosen.

Does it matter to the public if the defense attorney is an assigned PD or a private attorney working pro bono?

Personally, I hope that all defendants get a great defense so when their convicted there's little chance of them getting their conviction overturned on appeal.

That's just my opinion. Some people may see it differently.

I am 10 pages behind, so this may have already been addressed. You are right about pro bono work. A good many attorneys almost have to do pro bono cases. Not sure why... wish we had an attorney posting so he/she could explain.

to keep their license, part of continuing education ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

How many folks think that Heather Elvis's investigation would be getting this much ms media attention, investigative resources, and judicial activity without the tremendous amount of community awareness created by the family, internet & other social media, friends, and complete strangers?

Initially, I think having two other girls go missing within 10 days of Heather brought a lot of attention to Heather's case. By the time the other girls were located and found to of left on their own, the Elvis family and friends had organized a very impressive awareness campaign. And have worked 24/7 to keep Heather in the media .

I swear if I saw her on the street I would never have recognized her as Tammy Moorer. She looks totally different than the pics on her facebook account. Amazing really.

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but I believe she photoshops the heck out of their photos in order to make herself look more attractive.

Does it matter to the public if the defense attorney is an assigned PD or a private attorney working pro bono?

Personally, I hope that all defendants get a great defense so when their convicted there's little chance of them getting their conviction overturned on appeal.

That's just my opinion. Some people may see it differently.

Matter to the public? IMO no. I think it matters a great deal to a defendant. The attys employed by the PD office often have a tremendous case load and plea a lot of cases. It's not to say there aren't great attys working in the PD office they are just typically overscheduled. I would want someone who could devote a little more time and attention to my case if I were a defendant. JMO

I think the amount of media coverage is due to Heather being an attractive, middle-class young woman, and the circumstances of the case being sensational, and involving a love triangle.

eileenhawkeye, I honor & respect your opinion but disagree. The Elvis family has been the primary catalyst for the tremendous awareness in her case. Not every missing/murdered person has a loving & caring family with the creativity, resources(sign shop), decision making ability, and community involvement that HE has had.
The Elvis's came off the ground running, imo. They realized from the very beginning that this was not going to be a sprint, but a marathon.. I applaude their tenacity, perserverence, and stamina.. I would like to think that I could, but I'm not sure that I could keep up their pace for over two months without an implosion..

I think they do it to be nice, give back and it also helps younger attorneys get more court exposure. Someone trying to make a name for themselves will want to be in court often.
All JMO

you are so sweet to think of attys that way!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I used to see numbers on FHEFB. Like 40,000 strong. 45,000 strong. How many strong was FHEFB before SM's name came out in the police report? Anyone remember?

Speaking of social media accounts in general, I think many of us are aware of a few people that use them to create a "perfect life." In their posts, their lives are filled with affluence, perfect husbands, perfect children...they never come down to earth, reveal a problem, or let down the mask. They have a terrible need to persaude even strangers that they "have it all." I have often wondered why? There is a sort of desparation in this strange need. No matter what the reality, it is bearable if you can convince others that your life is absolutely perfect.

I would certainly put TM in this category.

I think the amount of media coverage is due to Heather being an attractive, middle-class young woman, and the circumstances of the case being sensational, and involving a love triangle.
I think it has more to do with what the family of a missing person does, and how they work to get information out. Poor people don't always have the time or means to do that. Bob Harrod is not an attractive, middle class young woman, and he gets plenty of coverage.

eileenhawkeye, I honor & respect your opinion but disagree. The Elvis family has been the primary catalyst for the tremendous awareness in her case. Not every missing/murdered person has a loving & caring family with the creativity, resources(sign shop), decision making ability, and community involvement that HE has.
The Elvis came off the ground running, imo. They realized from the very beginning that this was not going to be a sprint, but a marathon.. I applaude their tenacity, perserverence, and stamina.. I would like to think that I could, but I don't think that I couldn't keep up their pace for over two months without an implosion..

The family has done a great job, but they would have a much harder time generating interest in the case if Heather didn't look like she did, and if the case didn't have the amount of drama that it does. Every family of a missing person doesn't start out on the same foot. Some have inherent advantages. For instance, a poor family would have to work much, much harder to get the amount of attention a rich family would be able to get.

I think it has more to do with what the family of a missing person does, and how they work to get information out. Poor people don't always have the time or means to do that. Bob Harrod is not an attractive, middle class young woman, and he gets plenty of coverage.

If poor people don't have the means or time to generate interest, then socioeconomic status does play a part. That tells me that a poor family would have to work much, much harder to get the amount of interest a family of better means is able to get. Just like a wealthy family would be able to get even more attention for their child's case than Heather's family has (such as getting the governor more actively involved).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member