SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 #27***ARREST**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense will want Heather's SM in, if they plan to try to convince the jury she may have run off and is not dead. If one side gets SM in, the other side likely will too, IMO.

From what I've read online (I'm not a lawyer!!!), it seems that both sides will have some hurdles to jump in order to get the social media in. They will have to prove the accts belong to the person and that any post they want to use was made by the person. Many here don't believe Sid was posting on his own FB so wonder what prosecuters will do with it...plus both TM and SM are available to either admit to or dent their own accounts and posts. I think Heather's will be more difficult as she is not present to attest to, deny, or even explain her social media. I would think that would provide a strong basis for it to not be admissable. I wish one of WS's verified attorneys were here to chime in!

Yep, but in that case there had been a dead body in the trunk. In addition to the pizza.

But remember how that case ended.

I'd rather be popular but I can't help but to type an honest opinion when I have one (which is why I type it in the chance that a few others may share my point of view and look to fill the holes).

The jurors have to be sure the right person or people are being convicted.
Caylee's case was so muddied up with junk, the jurors weren't clear by the end of the trial how Caylee died.

That's why looking for holes in the evidence should be welcomed and not viewed as support for the suspect/s imo.

I can't quite believe that a business owner is parented from installing security cameras...maybe someone else with a business in the same area can confirm?

I know it is not PC to say so...but oh how I wish a different man had caught Heather's interest last summer...

JMO

I'm not saying that business owners are prevented from intalling security cameras, just that everything on the outside, from the paint color of the building to the signage, has to be approved by the HOA.

I interpreted his statement differently, ie that he meant that they didn't have enough for a conviction, so no chance of a plea...sounded more confident that there would be a trial because they expect to win...JMO
Fascinating. I never would have gotten that interpretation. I learn something new every day....
ETA: Thank you for that viewpoint. (I like learning new things)

I can't quite believe that a business owner is parented from installing security cameras...maybe someone else with a business in the same area can confirm?

I know it is not PC to say so...but oh how I wish a different man had caught Heather's interest last summer...

JMO

I own a business in MB and I can tell you that we have to have permission from our Landlord on our commercial property for ANY changes we want to make! Pretty standard.....

I interpreted his statement differently, ie that he meant that they didn't have enough for a conviction, so no chance of a plea...sounded more confident that there would be a trial because they expect to win...JMO

Yes, to me, the remarks reflect that, based on the evidence (and the lack of a body), the client has no incentive to admit to anything. And that the attorney prefers a courtroom arena, where there are rules favoring the defendant, to dismantle the State's claims.

check the DATES on those articles ya'll. . The attorney for SM said he believed it will go to trial when he had seen what evidence LE allowed him to see. AFTER he saw more evidence he said that he cant believe they arrested him for murder-- that they just had a theory they ran with.

Inside the courtroom: Murder charges read for first time in front of Elvis family
Posted: Feb 24, 2014 7:42 PM ESTUpdated: Feb 24, 2014 8:52 PM EST
By Stephanie Robusto - email
No one on either side of this legal battle will give details over what evidence has been collected, worrying about jeopardizing the investigation or giving out strategic details on how they plan to proceed.
After sitting down for the first time with Sidney Moorer this weekend, his defense attorney Kirk Truslow said he was able to go through some of the evidence the prosecution has collected so far.
Upon seeing the evidence, he believes the case will go to trial.

Berkeley County sheriff's deputies to discuss Heather Elvis disappearance with state, Horry County officials
Christina Elmore
Posted: Friday, March 7, 2014 10:00 p.m.

Truslow said that his client maintains his innocence. He could not offer an explanation why authorities would link Sidney Moorer to Elvis' death.

"Honestly, at this point, I have no idea other than they knew each other. I've not been privy to what they believed to be the evidence," he said.

Truslow said the few details that were made available to him left him "perplexed" as to why his client would be named a suspect. He would not elaborate on those details.

"I'm not even sure that you can classify it as evidence. It's more of a theory that they just ran with from the very beginning," Truslow said.

According to Truslow, Sidney Moorer was surprised when an investigation resulted in a murder charge, but he remains in good spirits.

"He knows he didn't do anything wrong. Having said that, no one likes to be locked up in jail without a bond," Truslow said.

check the DATES on those articles ya'll. . The attorney for SM said he believed it will go to trial BEFORE he had seen what evidence LE let him see. AFTER he saw the evidence he said that he cant believe they arrested him for murder-- that they just had a theory they ran with.

Inside the courtroom: Murder charges read for first time in front of Elvis family
No one on either side of this legal battle will give details over what evidence has been collected, worrying about jeopardizing the investigation or giving out strategic details on how they plan to proceed.
After sitting down for the first time with Sidney Moorer this weekend, his defense attorney Kirk Truslow said he was able to go through some of the evidence the prosecution has collected so far.

Berkeley County sheriff's deputies to discuss Heather Elvis disappearance with state, Horry County officials
Christina Elmore

Truslow said that his client maintains his innocence. He could not offer an explanation why authorities would link Sidney Moorer to Elvis' death.

"Honestly, at this point, I have no idea other than they knew each other. I've not been privy to what they believed to be the evidence," he said.

Truslow said the few details that were made available to him left him "perplexed" as to why his client would be named a suspect. He would not elaborate on those details.

"I'm not even sure that you can classify it as evidence. It's more of a theory that they just ran with from the very beginning," Truslow said.

According to Truslow, Sidney Moorer was surprised when an investigation resulted in a murder charge, but he remains in good spirits.

"He knows he didn't do anything wrong. Having said that, no one likes to be locked up in jail without a bond," Truslow said.

"Upon seeing the evidence, he believes the case will go to trial."

It looks as though he said this after seeing the evidence...

This is my point in previous posts is too. If the defense lawyer thinks the evidence is weak or not concrete, (because we don't know what the evidence is yet that led LE to arrest the M's for murder), then maybe the case isn't as solid as LE has led the public to believe.

Therefore I can't wait to hear all the evidence LE has gathered. But will have to wait until the trial. When can we anticipate that will be?

Since the evidence hasn't been revealed yet (we're putting our faith in LE), we don't know the totality of the evidence.
I know the chances seem slim and everyone here believes the Moorers are responsible for Heather's disappearance but what if only one of them really knows what happened (where Heather is)?

What if, for some reason, neither of them know where Heather is?

Until we hear all the evidence, how can we be sure?

If only one of them knows where Heather is though, then they'd be unable to turn on each other for the purpose of revealing her location. But they could turn on one another to say he or she committed murder. Still, the one who knows, wouldn't tell where they put Heather. But we're assuming they both know, right?

For me, yes, given the IE charges alone, the Moorer's were clearly together the night the calls that tie Heather to one of the Moorer's began, and Heather subsequently was murdered. And they lied. So I don't think one Moorer is far behind the other Moorer in this crime.

But I think anything is possible in this case. And I've always felt there are other players.

yes he said it will go to trial as of Feb 24 when he had seen some evidence.

on March 7 after he saw more evidence he said he cant believe they arrested SM based on what they had.

the dates on the articles tell what he thought based on what he knew at that time.

This is my point in previous posts is too. If the defense lawyer thinks the evidence is weak or not concrete, (because we don't know what the evidence is yet that led LE to arrest the M's for murder), then maybe the case isn't as solid as LE has led the public to believe.

Therefore I can't wait to hear all the evidence LE has gathered. But will have to wait until the trial. When can we anticipate that will be?

...or the defense lawyer is posturing as they do.

I can't wait to hear all the evidence either. I expect a lot of delays and separate trials, based on nothing but my intuition. :facepalm:

I had the same take on the attorney's statement--he doesn't think there's enough evidence, so there's no reason to plea; therefore going to trial.

This concerns me too and I think that connecting the circumstantial dots and having some DNA is not necessarily what it will take to convict these two.

I think they did it. But I don't feel complete confidence that LE has what it says it has, or, perhaps believes it has.

At times this sounds like a case of a crime scene (PTL) with little or no evidence, some phone calls, video of people moving back and forth, and the protracted absence of a person connecting these elements to murder. I don't think LE's evidence is that simple or lacking, but I think a defense lawyer might well have a decent go with some version of that sort of summary.

We shall see. And who knows, it may never go to trial. Stranger things have happened and if there was ever a case where something strange might happen, it's this one.

At any rate, I have mixed feelings about LE in this case, but I don't see what they see or have anything beyond limited perspective on their activities.

check the DATES on those articles ya'll. . The attorney for SM said he believed it will go to trial when he had seen what evidence LE allowed him to see. AFTER he saw more evidence he said that he cant believe they arrested him for murder-- that they just had a theory they ran with.

Christina Elmore

"Upon seeing the evidence, he believes the case will go to trial" on February 23, but on March 7, he not sure they can classify anything as evidence? That would mean that the evidence he saw on February 24 could not be classified as evidence. How would an attorney think a case would go to trial if there was nothing that could be classified as evidence? The logic is escaping me.

"Upon seeing the evidence, he believes the case will go to trial" on February 23, but on March 7, he not sure they can classify anything as evidence? That would mean that the evidence he saw on February 24 could not be classified as evidence. How would an attorney think a case would go to trial if there was nothing that could be classified as evidence? The logic is escaping me.

You know how defense attorneys work. The next thing you know he we will say that Mickey Mouse did it. Ugh. I think that if a judge signed the murder warrant(s) that they have the evidence they need. On top of that, the evidence that was still being processed would be the sprinkles on the icing on the cake. JMO.

WHERE IS HEATHER?????

Attorneys in civil cases want to avoid trials. Criminal defense attorneys are trial attorneys. Trials are where motions are born. Motions to suppress evidence and testimony and interviews. Motions, everywhere motions.

He knows LE and the State have enough to jail his clients and get them to trial. So he's going to trial, and in that environment he'll work to level the State's case and maximize his client's options for freedom.

I think his words and demeanor are those of a defense lawyer.

Maybe BB was posting some "inside" intel. Seems some of what he posted did come to fruition, the one's it was directed towards were arrested. And as we hear more and more, we're finding out the conditions the family were living in. Obviously now we know that there was a tremendous amount of investigating going on!

Sorry but Who is BB? :blushing: TIA

ETA Oh Wait, Is this the cousin?

...or the defense lawyer is posturing as they do.

I can't wait to hear all the evidence either. I expect a lot of delays and separate trials, based on nothing but my intuition. :facepalm:

I agree with what you say - all defense lawyers (and politicians) are wordsmiths. They are highly skilled at the spoken word - and we need to be just as careful as to what we hear. Listen Carefully!

I agree that SM's lawyer thinks the case will go to trial where SM's lawyer can sufficiently deflect to create reasonable doubt as to SM's guilt (he is already presumed innocent). But - all the evidence is not in yet - that will come in the discovery phase. IMHO - I see a trial in early 2015 at the earliest depending on discovery and discovery motions, pretrial motions (such as Change of Venue), etc.

Sorry but Who is BB? :blushing: TIA

ETA Oh Wait, Is this the cousin?

Bill Barret (sp?), Elvis family friend who was arrested for OJ earlier in the investigation. HTH

ETA, not the cousin. Totally different person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member