151 Westpark Blvd
Columbia, SC 29210-3857
columbia.fbi.gov
(803) 551-4200

http://www.fbi.gov/columbia/about-us/what-we-investigate/priorities

What We Investigate

Snipped:
8. Combat significant violent crime

Even with our post-9/11 national security responsibilities, we continue to play a key role in combating violent crime in big cities and local communities across the United States. Beyond our work targeting violent gangs and other criminal enterprises, we focus on such issues as crimes against children (including online predators), crime on Indian reservations, the search for wanted fugitives, serial killings, kidnapping, murder for hire, bank robberies, and special crimes like the carriage of weapons on aircraft and crime on the high seas.

In Columbia, we work closely with a host of law enforcement partners to address the full range of violent crimes. See our Partnerships webpage for details.

For more details on our overall national efforts, see our Violent Crime and Major Thefts webpage.

Violent Crimes and Major Thefts:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts

----------

http://www.fbi.gov/columbia/contact-us/territory-jurisdiction

Snipped:

Myrtle Beach

1012 38th Avenue, N
Suite 201
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577-2996
Phone: (843) 626-7476
Fax: (843) 443-3374

Counties: Georgetown and Horry

Everyone in the MB area should be demanding that the FBI and Texas Equisearch be called in----or call them in yourself.

This is absolutely ludicrous that this amount of bones have been discovered by volunteers in an active missing persons case.

And the local LE says nothing? Really?

Please call in authorities to better assess this situation. Patience is a virtue but stupidity is a crime when it comes to a young girl's life. Seriously. This is a disgrace.

There's really not anything LE can say until they know whether all the bones found are human and whether they're from the same individual.

The fact that there are so many concerned locals on this board gives me hope that Heather's case will not grow cold. Because you guys will not allow it to. Right? :)

I think in light of the recent remains found, Heather's case will get more media attention and hopefully bring more awareness about her case, and others.

There's really not anything LE can say until they know whether all the bones found are human and whether they're from the same individual.

I respectfully disagree and hope that the volunteers make some headway.

'Nuff said by me. This case is way too sad and frustrating. :seeya:

Question for foxfire: Re: CUE and TES. Have you ever seen a case where more than one SAR organization has actively participated in unison in an active search alongside each other? I know LE has different agencies which work together...I guess what I'm asking is, do CUE and TES both have comparable resources? God Bless Monica and all her efforts; I'm just wondering if TES has some special equipment that CUE might not currently have access to? Would it be a conflict of interest if the family wanted TES to ALSO help? (For reasons of having more feet on the ground, equipment, resources, etc).

By the way, The Killing Fields I referred to upstream is where Tim Miller's (founder of TES) daughter was found.

:scared:
I respectfully disagree and hope that the volunteers make some headway.

'Nuff said by me. This case is way too sad and frustrating. :seeya:

Don't go, Honey. I almost lost it last night, but I'm still here. :) Its great to have different opinions on this board, its a good thing. :)

At this point, I think there are many angles / possibilities in this case. One thing I can not let go of is a possible connection to Amber Berbiglia, jmo. I'm wondering if her assault / murder was technically a failed abduction attempt on the part of the perp.

I agree M25... Imo, AB's abduction/violent murder indicates a stranger/slight acquainatance, and possibly by an authority figure/probable impersonator due to it being in broad daylight.
This is why the police impersonator and then stolen unmarked LE vehicle in Springdale, SC has me concerned.

SILENT VICTIMS :

One of the most startling aspects of sex crimes is how many go unreported. The most common reasons given for not reporting these crimes are the belief that it is a private or personal matter and the fear of reprisal from the assailant.

Approximately 28% of victims are raped by husbands or boyfriends, 35% by acquaintances, and 5% by other relatives. (Violence against Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Justice, 1994)

The FBI estimates that only 37% of all rapes are reported to the police. U.S. Justice Department statistics are even lower, with only 26% of all rapes or attempted rapes being reported to law enforcement officials.
<sniped-read more>
http://www.paralumun.com/issuesrapestats.htm

There are huge rewards in several cases, up to $250,000, and they do not seem to make a difference. People with real info are usually not going to be eligible for rewards, in that they likely have a little too much knowledge/shared guilt. Maybe there are a few, but I have not seen rewards, or reward size affecting missing persons cases often, if ever.

I also am not of the belief that LE often keeps quiet in cases like this hoping to "bring out" a suspect. It can happen, of course, but all too often I have seen silence mean lack of info, evidence, clues. Also, as we have seen in cases such as Dylan, Katelyn and Hailey, finding a body does not necessarily result in an arrest even when it appears there is a strong suspect, so I no longer believe LE is "just waiting to find the victim" to make an arrest" a thought which which is often posted here.

I still have not seen proof of a crime in Heather's case. I do wonder if LE has anything to point them in a solid direction, from missing person to crime victim. If not, it makes it difficult to address the public, though I still believe they should.

All JMO...from following way too many cases...
I'm going to agree with you on the point that LE has hit a dead end . I feel that if the perp is part of the same social circles as HE, rumors would start surfacing by now. Going on that line of thought I would think that someone would slip up either verbally or their action(s) would be noted as odd by someone in their circle. If the emails and phone records of HE have not moved this case forward (and we really don't know that as LE has been hush hush) ,then I guess this case will take the work of a few people with great resources dedicated to only this case to solve it. I don't believe it to be random by someone unknown to everyone.

I don't know about Texas Equisearch, but SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) states that they will not become involved, unless there were extraordinary circumstances, unless the local LE that has jurisdiction requests them. The FBI is the same way.

Now it was mentioned that if this turns out to be serial killer's site the floodgates would open and media would be all over this. If that turns out to be the case it might just provide the incentive to call in the FBI.

I thought it was stated upstream that SLED WAS involved?? Does anyone have a link re: SLED's involvement, or lack thereof? TIA

Gosh, Heather could be missing due to any reason and any person. She was very active online as well as with various people. She's come in much contact with several people at multiple jobs, both places she went to school, her community, her church, people she dated, her friends, etc.

Anything & anybody - that's a seriously frightening thought. Wish it could be widdled down..

Gosh, Heather could be missing due to any reason and any person. She was very active online as well as with various people. She's come in much contact with several people at multiple jobs, both places she went to school, her community, her church, people she dated, her friends, etc.

Anything & anybody - that's a seriously frightening thought. Wish it could be widdled down..

Reminds me of Jessica Heeringa's and Adrienne Salinas's cases...so many possibilities. :(

And yes, very frightening. I remember that fear when Jessica Ridgeway's abductor was on the loose...Looking at everyone around me, wondering if it could be them. That was the worst feeling in the world.

There are huge rewards in several cases, up to $250,000, and they do not seem to make a difference. People with real info are usually not going to be eligible for rewards, in that they likely have a little too much knowledge/shared guilt. Maybe there are a few, but I have not seen rewards, or reward size affecting missing persons cases often, if ever.

I also am not of the belief that LE often keeps quiet in cases like this hoping to "bring out" a suspect. It can happen, of course, but all too often I have seen silence mean lack of info, evidence, clues. Also, as we have seen in cases such as Dylan, Katelyn and Hailey, finding a body does not necessarily result in an arrest even when it appears there is a strong suspect, so I no longer believe LE is "just waiting to find the victim" to make an arrest" a thought which which is often posted here.

I still have not seen proof of a crime in Heather's case. I do wonder if LE has anything to point them in a solid direction, from missing person to crime victim. If not, it makes it difficult to address the public, though I still believe they should.

All JMO...from following way too many cases...

Aren't most rewards only if the victim is found alive? I think that is why they don't make a difference, because so few cases are solved because someone spotted the victim, called 911, and they were rescued. Also, it's a very thin line if it's someone who personally knows the abductor reports that they know where the victim is, unless they call 911 as soon as they find out.

Oh wow... I just cried buckets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The reason this case captured me from the beginning is because of how Heather's family's pain has come though. This is why I don't believe for a second that Heather left on her own. Hard to put into words (I know there are endangered runaways out there whose families care for them, but somehow this feels different to me.) Hope I'm wrong.

Aren't most rewards only if the victim is found alive? I think that is why they don't make a difference, because so few cases are solved because someone spotted the victim, called 911, and they were rescued. Also, it's a very thin line if it's someone who personally knows the abductor reports that they know where the victim is, unless they call 911 as soon as they find out.

on the flyer, it says "or leading to the closure of this case".

I hope none of those remains are Brittany Drexel or this could be a serial killer

IMO, the reason is either really simple & right in our faces, the usual suspect being someone she knew well...

.Or.

Maybe her disappearance is related to other missing & murdered persons.

And I hate those choices.

Fwiw, wasn't seeing suicide bc she had too much she was looking forward to.

Some people looked at are just too obvious that it simply doesn't make sense.

Truly at a loss. Is there a link between Heather & Amber? What about Brittanee?

I don't know about Texas Equisearch, but SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) states that they will not become involved, unless there were extraordinary circumstances, unless the local LE that has jurisdiction requests them. The FBI is the same way.

Now it was mentioned that if this turns out to be serial killer's site the floodgates would open and media would be all over this. If that turns out to be the case it might just provide the incentive to call in the FBI.

I can't imagine WHY local LE would not want all the help they could get....All these bones being found and another young girl missing.....the more help local LE can get the better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025