SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think about that often and find it chilling.

Yep. A search warrant showed that a suspected SK from Colorado (with links to other states.. can't recall his name now) had visited a bunch of missing persons websites/message boards during an active search for his most recent victim.

Despite LE having had this guy on their radar (as he was her last known contact), within the month or so he ended up going to another state where he assaulted a woman and left her in a burning apartment (she escaped!). Maybe he saw all the discussions about his suspicious story as a learning tool, because this time it was a stranger assault. There were also questions about car forensics from the first victim, so he went with another crime scene which he tried to burn to the ground. Complete speculation/MOO. WS is such an amazing tool but I hate to think the collective skepticism and critical thinking helps perps craft better stories.

So yeah. That's obviously an extreme case, and I doubt a presser or Nancy Grace's dance moves would make a real psycho second guess his plan, but even with Abby H., the media were quick to circulate a lot of "things to look for in a person's changed behavior/appearance" style tips. If the perp were to feel no one's really looking for him he might feel as safe to attack as the above mentioned loser. Imagine if Tidewater is a SK's dumping ground, and he's aware that remains were found on it, how smug must he feel that there's no presser or even some remote panic about it? Not a single widespread suggestion of an active predator?

Then again, if it weren't for that speeding ticket, I severely doubt that anyone would've come forward to report that RM had been in Surfside when BD disappeared. Either because he associates with fellow scumbags or because he associates with no one.

I see LE's hesitation to cause hysteria, especially in a tourist town, but the alternative is worse. :moo: Worst case scenario, people start modifying their routines to be more alert and safe. Sorry for the tangent.

HE25Kyellow_zps8402ab41.jpg

CGS & Foxfire, thanks for being so awesome. I stopped by this afternoon and dropped off 3 cases of water. I figured people coming back in close to dusk would be thirsty thirsty thirsty.

That was so nice of you. :)

So - How many sets of bones are we now waiting to be identified? Aren't these all being found in the same area? Sounds like forensic experts need to be shutting off a large area and clearing it - that's a lot of bones to be found by volunteers?!?! And nobody is finding anything pertaining to Heather? Are they still searching the river? Have we had any confirmation on what she might have been wearing or things she may have had on her? Are they interviewing friends and ex's?!

Everyone in the MB area should be demanding that the FBI and Texas Equisearch be called in----or call them in yourself.

This is absolutely ludicrous that this amount of bones have been discovered by volunteers in an active missing persons case.

And the local LE says nothing? Really?

Please call in authorities to better assess this situation. Patience is a virtue but stupidity is a crime when it comes to a young girl's life. Seriously. This is a disgrace.

I know there are thousands of missing people and John/Jane Does, but this is a lot of skeletons being found in a relatively small area. What are the chances that different killers chose this same area to dump bodies? I would think they must be somehow connected to one another, unless it's just a bizarre coincidence. I've never had a loved one go missing, and I'm not a professional searcher or LE, so I can only trust that they know what they are doing and why they are looking where they are...but really she could be anywhere...if she met someone there and drove off with them, who knows where they took her? It has to be the most devastating thing that a parent can go through. I just hope beyond all hope that they find her...and that all of these bones they are finding will help lead to arrests from other missing person's cases. It's mind baffling to me...I know young people think they will live forever and they don't always pay attention to what is going on around them, but I hope that all of this will reinforce to young women that they should NEVER go out to bars, etc alone... They should always go with a friend, and if they leave at 3 am to meet someone, they should always tell someone, a friend, anyone..where they are going and who they are going to meet. All of these young women were alone when they went missing.

There are cases related to the "Killing Fields", dump ground in TX off 1-45. There are theories that the bodies found there could be the work of more than one perp.

*not saying this is the case, just saying, it happens.

Re: the reward money, what are ya'lls thoughts on this (I know this has been discussed here in other cases).

Do you guys think a "cap" should be placed on the reward, that way someone doesn't hold out on waiting for the money to go up? Know what I mean?

Perhaps something like what the Harringtons did. They announced the reward at its present amount would expire by a certain time/day and go back to what it was prior to being doubled or tripled. Nothing came of it, obviously. Outside of people randomly stumbling upon evidence on their properties or while out somewhere like in Nevaeh's and Sandra Cantu's cases, how often does somebody actually get the reward? Seems like it's only targeted towards accomplices of the perp, since innocent bystanders shouldn't need the incentive and can remain anonymous.. :twocents:

Or does it also serve to incentivize people to actively search? What would happen with the reward if something incredibly significant were found on an organized search?

At this point, I think there are many angles / possibilities in this case. One thing I can not let go of is a possible connection to Amber Berbiglia, jmo. I'm wondering if her assault / murder was technically a failed abduction attempt on the part of the perp.

Everyone in the MB area should be demanding that the FBI and Texas Equisearch be called in----or call them in yourself.

This is absolutely ludicrous that this amount of bones have been discovered by volunteers in an active missing persons case.

Please call in authorities to better assess this situation. Patience is a virtue but stupidity is a crime when it comes to a young girl's life. Seriously. This is a disgrace.

I agree! Every case I follow has something I find unique about it that comes to mind as soon as I think about the case... Well, for this case it's just what you've mentioned! - LE saying nothing, and no major call for escalating to higher authorities...
This case is just the opposite of Holly Bobo's case; all kinds of agencies were called with hours, and even the Governor got involved in offering a reward!

I think a lot of the confusion in the time she was last seen, time last call was placed, time phone pinged can be attributed up to sloppy reporting.

All of this could be cleared up with a good solid press release with a timeline of the factual events. Apparently this isn't going to happen without the public or the media putting more pressure on LE. Frustrating, and is causing more confusion and speculation than necessary.

Mr. Elvis' posts about HE and his interviews are heartwrenching. ...

I worry if the perp sees the pain he is inflicting on the Elvis family..if it empowers him to strike again

Mr. Elvis' posts about HE and his interviews are heartwrenching. ...

I worry if the perp sees the pain he is inflicting on the Elvis family..if it empowers him to strike again

I personally can not stand to watch this. I'm depending on you guys and MSM to post any information, should it come available during these interviews.

I think a lot of the confusion in the time she was last seen, time last call was placed, time phone pinged can be attributed up to sloppy reporting.

All of this could be cleared up with a good solid press release with a timeline of the factual events. Apparently this isn't going to happen without the public or the media putting more pressure on LE. Frustrating, and is causing more confusion and speculation than necessary.

I agree, there needs to be clarification on when she was last seen or phone activity . As it stands. some people believe she was taken from PTL at 3 a.m. and others think she was taken from her condo...what if it was neither and someone thinks they rememeber seeing her or her car at a different location..will they share that info or dismiss it ??

I don't know about Texas Equisearch, but SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) states that they will not become involved, unless there were extraordinary circumstances, unless the local LE that has jurisdiction requests them. The FBI is the same way.

Now it was mentioned that if this turns out to be serial killer's site the floodgates would open and media would be all over this. If that turns out to be the case it might just provide the incentive to call in the FBI.

~Respectfully snipped~

Well before we call them a disgrace, let's remember that the remains have not been determined to be human as of yet. Hopefully when that determination is made, LE will speak out.

Salem

I don't know about Texas Equisearch, but SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) states that they will not become involved, unless there were extraordinary circumstances, unless the local LE that has jurisdiction requests them. The FBI is the same way.

Now it was mentioned that if this turns out to be serial killer's site the floodgates would open and media would be all over this. If that turns out to be the case it might just provide the incentive to call in the FBI.

Mr. Elvis mentioned in todays interview, SLED helicopters were flying AGAIN this weekend, so SLED has been involved.

If the bones turn out to belong to more than 1 person, will the FBI actually have to be requested to come in? Wouldn't they automatically take over if its serial? I'm asking bc I have absolutely no idea.

~Respectfully snipped~

Well before we call them a disgrace, let's remember that the remains have not been determined to be human as of yet. Hopefully when that determination is made, LE will speak out.

Salem

Hey there Salem----I did not call LE a disgrace, I said the entire dire situation is a disgrace. HE has been missing for over 2 weeks, her family is heartbroken, her father is beside himself, volunteers have found 4 sets of bones, and no presser within recent times.
If at anytime resources are slim, I prefer that additional resources get called in. It looks like it may be that time now.
Thank you.

There are huge rewards in several cases, up to $250,000, and they do not seem to make a difference. People with real info are usually not going to be eligible for rewards, in that they likely have a little too much knowledge/shared guilt. Maybe there are a few, but I have not seen rewards, or reward size affecting missing persons cases often, if ever.

I also am not of the belief that LE often keeps quiet in cases like this hoping to "bring out" a suspect. It can happen, of course, but all too often I have seen silence mean lack of info, evidence, clues. Also, as we have seen in cases such as Dylan, Katelyn and Hailey, finding a body does not necessarily result in an arrest even when it appears there is a strong suspect, so I no longer believe LE is "just waiting to find the victim" to make an arrest" a thought which which is often posted here.

I still have not seen proof of a crime in Heather's case. I do wonder if LE has anything to point them in a solid direction, from missing person to crime victim. If not, it makes it difficult to address the public, though I still believe they should.

All JMO...from following way too many cases...

Guys, we can send others to FB to look at interesting things. We cannot discuss these things or the thread will be put on hold again.

Mr. Elvis mentioned in todays interview, SLED helicopters were flying AGAIN this weekend, so SLED has been involved.

The volume was so low on that film clip (I even went to the news page and same thing) that there were huge gaps where I couldn't make out what he was saying. So I probably missed that. And I didn't listen to the last part as that was too tough. But local LE had to call SLED in. Same with FBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocky.marie