SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting avenue of pursuit would be "is there a video of HE's car turning off of Dick Pond Rd. onto Peachtree" and are there any video cameras on 544 going south towards the 707 turnoff(Murrells Inlet) or north on 544 towards Huck La,/Pine Hollow Rd./Dick Pond Road? wouldn't the latter route be used to take Forestbrook Rd.?

This is a good idea.

I have personal experience with LE on a shooting that happened at 3:30 am in MB a few months ago.

It was in a fairly desolate area and approximately 1 block from where my office is located. LE showed up and asked if we had security cameras, and to their luck I did.

But, I also found out that LE had found 12 OTHER businesses that had security cameras pointed at or towards the road in question. Needless to say, 1 of the cameras caught a nice 2-3 second clip of a gold car passing by at 3:32 am.

I'm not sure that they solved the shooting, but up to that point they didn't even have a car description or an idea the car was even in the area where the shooting occurred. That one clip gave them at least a gold car they could plug into their database.

My point is there are a ton of Security cams out there. I believe there are 2 on the swing bridge.

I'm sure LE is looking at businesses on these routes.

Is it possible for le to pull somebody's cell records & ping mapping coordinates if they only suspect them but not enough to bring them in for official questioning? I'm wondering if the area le was concentrating on in their search was actually due to somebody else's cell pings besides Heather. If that's the case, would any of it be publicly accessible via foia?

Yes but they need a search warrant.

OBTAINING A SEARCH WARRANT

Only judges may issue search warrants. To obtain a warrant, law enforcement officers must show that there is probable cause to believe a search is justified. Officers must support this showing with sworn statements (affidavits), and must describe in particularity the place they will search and the items they will seize. Judges must consider the totality of the circumstances when deciding whether or not to issue the warrant. When issuing a search warrant, the judge may restrict the when and how the police may conduct the search.

Can anyone guess why the search area seems to be closer to her residence than up/down Peachtree Rd. with all it's turnoffs,water reservoirs/brushy areas. If this was a spur of the moment "event" I would think the perp would dispose of the body and dump the auto pronto (leading me to believe they wouldn't be too far from each other) .

And someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I have not seen any big posters of HE's car itself.

I see pics of her everywhere...but not her car.

Isn't it important people see the car, especially since it would have been dark and seeing the driver would have been next to impossible?

I simply can't believe no one saw her car headed towards PTL.

And someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I have not seen any big posters of HE's car itself.

I see pics of her everywhere...but not her car.

Isn't it important people see the car, especially since it would have been dark and seeing the driver would have been next to impossible?
I think that's because they have the car(not trying to be funny .I know what you mean ,making that visual connection to the car).

interesting post about California, on FHEF posted by others

Yes but they need a search warrant.

OBTAINING A SEARCH WARRANT

Only judges may issue search warrants. To obtain a warrant, law enforcement officers must show that there is probable cause to believe a search is justified. Officers must support this showing with sworn statements (affidavits), and must describe in particularity the place they will search and the items they will seize. Judges must consider the totality of the circumstances when deciding whether or not to issue the warrant. When issuing a search warrant, the judge may restrict the when and how the police may conduct the search.
the government DOES NOT need a search warrant to pull your cellphone records.....

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/07/fifth-circuit-approves-warrantless-cell-phone-tracking

If the post on FB is true, it seems as I feared...LE does not know what they have. But on the brighter side, they seem to not have evidence of a crime either, JMO (if true...has to be considered rumor from FB)

my family and I saw the posters recently in MB about the disappearance of HE, we were so sorry to see that, of course we never go to MB without thinking about BD already. Then just saw online today about the disappearance of the other young woman 5 days later and the find of bones 5 days after that on the 30th. Have they identified the bones yet? Our thoughts are with these young ladies' families. We certainly hope they are found safe. Have they ever said where HE's phone last pinged? Or the other young lady, I'm sorry I can't remember her name.

Here is what I understand so far:

Bones Found:
There have been bones found in four locations near Tidewater and McNair. 2 locations had bones identified as human, one of those two locations had bones identified as belonging to a 20 Year old man. The other two locations had bones found over the weekend that have not been identified as human or animal yet. None of these were complete skeletons and all the bones MIGHT belong to the same person. So there is a minimum of one person's remains, a maximum is currently unknown.

Tidewater area was searched because concerned friends/volunteers thought the area was close enough to HE's condo to look there. Once the first set of bones was found, they left the immediate area to formal search teams and went to the NW side of the area between Tidewater and Ronald McNair and found some more bones. That entire area was being searched by CUE on Saturday (and they are currently still searching Sunday), IMO because human bones were found there and they were checking to determine if more human remains are in the area. That would be normal police procedure, anyway.

PTL area had been thoroughly searched, with no clues being reported.

It was reported that HE was last seen entering her River Oaks apartment sometime between 2 and 3 a.m. Dec. 18, according to an Horry County police report and that her vehicle, a 2001 Dodge Intrepid last seen in her driveway at White River Drive at that time.
http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_9c10bb9e-7495-11e3-bf49-001a4bcf6878.html OR HE was last seen at her parents house on Tuesday night, December 17 per previous news articles.
http://www.examiner.com/article/hea...-father-makes-plea-for-daughter-s-safe-return

The media reporting leaves us not really knowing if HE was actually SEEN between 2am and 3am, or if she was only heard from during that time, whether by phone, text or social media. It has been reported that HE returned from a date around 12am, but it is unknown who the date was. It was also reported that HE made some posts on social media around 2 am and spoke with her roommate, who was with her own parents in another city, around 3am.

HE's purse and phone are missing. The phone went offline around 3am. We don't know the exact time HE was last at her condo or left her condo, whether she went voluntarily alone, with someone else, or was taken without her consent.

It is unknown when HE's car appeared at PTL. It could have been anytimein the middle of the night (officially the 18th) or any time on the 18th or 19th before it was reported. If her father drove it home, I have to assume it was not treated as a crime scene and processed accordingly.

Is this information correct as far as it goes?

All posts mention roommate was out our town when HE called her, however [modsnip] HE went missing 5 days before

I have a question that's been on my mind since Heather's very first thread. I feel sort of ignorant asking it but its a legitimate question that concerns me. It's actually something that's come up in my church and it sort of itched me...

There are 186 registered sex offenders in Myrtle Beach alone. Idk how many are in Horry County (could be more than double the amount) as I only searched Myrtle Beach at the moment. This is a very religious area, state for that matter. Churches teach forgiveness and not to judge, that there's a higher power to do that, to give people a chance to turn over a new leaf and make a positive difference. Churches tend to bring everyone together as an extended family: worshipping together, mourning together, celebrating together, etc. Well my question is what about if that leads people to let their guard down around these offenders? Is it possible an offender could have gone to her church and befriended her family? Her family seem very spiritual, religious, like they have an aura surrounding them that says they only try to think good things & do good things. Idk. :) Like, they seem genuinely good. Could somebody have taken advantage of their trust? This is speculation, I know, but its also something that's real. I mean, I guess sex offenders have to go to church too, idk. All I know is that I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable sharing a pew with somebody that raped somebody else and I wouldn't want my kids around them. Is that a very bad Christian thing to say, to judge somebody like that, to be that protective? Or is that non Christian? I wonder if there was anybody that targeted her that could have been an offender and if so where would they see her? Church? Her job? Are sex offenders allowed to attend church if children are there.

the government DOES NOT need a search warrant to pull your cellphone records.....

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/07/fifth-circuit-approves-warrantless-cell-phone-tracking

For HE's cellphone, yes. But what about going to the carrier(s) and see which cellphones pinged in the area of PTL during that general time frame? What about in the vicinity of where her cellphone last pinged? (If it happens to be in the city, though, this maybe like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.)

And then there is the question I asked early on about cellphones and pings. If the cellphone is not moving, not currently being used or called, does it periodically ping nearby cell towers anyway? Just to maintain or verify its location. I tried using internet searches and could not find the answer or at least in terms I could understand.

Was this pertaining to just that one instance, or does it pertain to that particular instance and all others that may follow?
this was a court decision based on a 2010 case. This ruling stands as law..
in a misguided 2-1 decision, the Fifth Circuit reversed the privacy-protective lower court opinions and instead ruled the government did not need a search warrant to access historical cell site records. That's because the court focused not on what the data revealed -- a person's location over an extended period of time -- but rather on who owned and generated that data: the cell phone providers. Since these records were owned and created by the phone providers, the user has no expectation of privacy in them and thus no search warrant was needed to access that data.

keep in mind the article was written with a bias against the courts ruling.

So only BD was a tourist in the area, right, the other two young ladies are locals? I was thinking about the fact that all three young women disappeared during holiday/tourist times (i.e. Christmas break or Spring break.) Probably just a coincidence, but it made me wonder what if the perp is someone who comes there on vacation.

Again I believe LE main focus right now is finding HE

One way or another

If they are receiving tons of tips and possibly someone suggested thus idea

It only takes a phone call to Cali to go check out a lead.

The ole saying don't put all your eggs in one basket kind of thing

It shows me they are acting upon all the tips they receive.

JMO

If the post on FB is true, it seems as I feared...LE does not know what they have. But on the brighter side, they seem to not have evidence of a crime either, JMO (if true...has to be considered rumor from FB)

So only BD was a tourist in the area, right, the other two young ladies are locals? I was thinking about the fact that all three young women disappeared during holiday/tourist times (i.e. Christmas break or Spring break.) Probably just a coincidence, but it made me wonder what if the perp is someone who comes there on vacation.

Ditto

Amber Berbiglia - May 3, 2013.

Are holidays around this date? At first I was thinking Good Fri but not even thinking - way off the months.

I personally have not seen or heard of any ruling from the Supreme Court that would overrule what this news article is talking about.

What I see is a big pissing contest they had out in the courts to obtain records without a search warrant.

I'll look into this.

But I can tell you this if there is probable cause for a SW it only takes a short period time to get a judge to sign it and sent to the cell phone companies to receive your information instead of going through all this mess listed in this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli