SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
this was a court decision based on a 2010 case. This ruling stands as law..
in a misguided 2-1 decision, the Fifth Circuit reversed the privacy-protective lower court opinions and instead ruled the government did not need a search warrant to access historical cell site records. That's because the court focused not on what the data revealed -- a person's location over an extended period of time -- but rather on who owned and generated that data: the cell phone providers. Since these records were owned and created by the phone providers, the user has no expectation of privacy in them and thus no search warrant was needed to access that data.

keep in mind the article was written with a bias against the courts ruling.

Well, that answers one of my questions. I suppose they could obtain records and determine which phones pinged in the area of PTL within a specific timeframe.

I agree 100%...no body, no crime. They simply HAVE to find her before they can do anything...that is unless they manage to get a confession out of someone. Her father said LE has hit a dead end though...but who knows. Things are said for a reason and since everyone has been so tight lipped, it is leading me to believe they DO have a suspect...just nothing to use to arrest them. Not even her friends or co workers are giving interviews...nothing...and that makes me wonder if LE has asked them not too....

And could be the grasping at straws/dead end is because they're missing that one piece, not because they have nothing at all... :please:

The searcher thing is a good idea. Some of those folks are so selfless and would turn it down, though. Monica Caison doesn't even take a salary! Endlessly amazed.

If I'm not mistaken, some reward funds end up going towards memorial scholarships and humanitarian organizations set up in the victim's memory. I don't want to consider the possibility yet, but if this has a tragic outcome, perhaps a cosmetology scholarship or a safety initiative for young girls could help HE's family see her memory live on, like many other victims whose legacies now protect and help other girls achieve their dreams. :twocents:

If I were in a CUE organized search that found someone and qualified for the reward I would want it to go to CUE for use by them. Either for travel expenses or more equipment or whatever.

How long will it take to determine if the bones found belong to one or more people?
And will they tell the general public right away?

The fact that the first bones found came from a young man came rather quickly, iirc.

Probably doesn't help it's the weekend, my guess is we might know if they are human by Monday night, and we hopefully will know more from DNA on the first sets in another week.

You're right! I think I remember somebody on here saying that either wolves or coyotes (I forget sorry) were becoming a problem, or at least that they've been seen more over the past few years. Jeesh, I forget. What I'm getting at is if its a wolf aren't they strong enough to carry a femur? The tiny bits could have been scattered due to small wildlife &/or rodents. No?

Is anyone familiar with wild animals such as this? Would they have a wide territory?

I'm curious to see if the bones belong to more than one person.

That was me! and yes, they're AWFUL. Infact I think last night I saw a post on the HCPD FB page from someone warning about Coyotes attacking pets in a local area.

An interesting avenue of pursuit would be "is there a video of HE's car turning off of Dick Pond Rd. onto Peachtree" and are there any video cameras on 544 going south towards the 707 turnoff(Murrells Inlet) or north on 544 towards Huck La,/Pine Hollow Rd./Dick Pond Road? wouldn't the latter route be used to take Forestbrook Rd.?

I feel like by now, that has to have been checked. And either it didn't pan out or it gave LE a piece of evidence that helps but isn't yet enough.

my family and I saw the posters recently in MB about the disappearance of HE, we were so sorry to see that, of course we never go to MB without thinking about BD already. Then just saw online today about the disappearance of the other young woman 5 days later and the find of bones 5 days after that on the 30th. Have they identified the bones yet? Our thoughts are with these young ladies' families. We certainly hope they are found safe. Have they ever said where HE's phone last pinged? Or the other young lady, I'm sorry I can't remember her name.

So only BD was a tourist in the area, right, the other two young ladies are locals? I was thinking about the fact that all three young women disappeared during holiday/tourist times (i.e. Christmas break or Spring break.) Probably just a coincidence, but it made me wonder what if the perp is someone who comes there on vacation.

Responding to both: the second (and third) women that disappeared last month were unrelated to this case. The third woman was found first, she had medical issues and had willingly walked away from her caretaker and then got lost. She is safe. The second woman's phone pinged in FL, she has been located and is safe. Lots of speculation regarding motive on that one though.

I think as long as the phone is on it keeps pinging as texts or anything else is coming in, not only when the owner is still texting right? For example in the BD case it seemed like they had pings after she stopped texting, that showed how her phone travelled southward. But we never did hear very specific ping information regarding whether there were any stops along the route southward or if it was just a steady drive southward, etc. I never understood in that case why pings weren't mapped for all the witnesses, the people she had been with, just to establish where everyone had been. At least we never heard of it that I can recall. Seems like they all went home and that was that. I wondered why the local LE didn't call in the FBI or something to obtain phone ping info on those who had left the state? I mean even without warrants wouldn't they start by just asking everyone would you like to volunteer your ping info, allow your service provider to provide it, is their permission even needed in a case like that? Does a phone keep pinging if it's switched off?

it's so frustrating with the no body no crime concept.... Because a person abandoning their car, for example, seems suspicious enough. If they are leaving or moving or taking off to somewhere, why dump their car? Why not keep it, or sell it? you know

I think as long as the phone is on it keeps pinging as texts or anything else is coming in, not only when the owner is still texting right? For example in the BD case it seemed like they had pings after she stopped texting, that showed how her phone travelled southward. But we never did hear very specific ping information regarding whether there were any stops along the route southward or if it was just a steady drive southward, etc. I never understood in that case why pings weren't mapped for all the witnesses, the people she had been with, just to establish where everyone had been. At least we never heard of it that I can recall. Seems like they all went home and that was that. I wondered why the local LE didn't call in the FBI or something to obtain phone ping info on those who had left the state? I mean even without warrants wouldn't they start by just asking everyone would you like to volunteer your ping info, allow your service provider to provide it, is their permission even needed in a case like that? Does a phone keep pinging if it's switched off?

In the BD case, though, the phone was moving. As it went from cellphone tower coverage to another. My hope is that a cellphone periodically checks regardless of whether it is moved (as in BD's case), used or called. If HE's last ping is in the area of PTL, then whoever else was in the area may have also had their phone ping about that same time frame. Not a lot of residences in the area from the YouTube clip someone posted on here. It should be easier to look at the pings and determine who lives near there and who doesn't. Of course, LE may have already looked at or is currently looking at this.

Another argument to bring in the FBI and/or Secret Service with their technical skill sets?

In the BD case, though, the phone was moving. As it went from cellphone tower coverage to another. My hope is that a cellphone periodically checks regardless of whether it is moved (as in BD's case), used or called. If HE's last ping is in the area of PTL, then whoever else was in the area may have also had their phone ping about that same time frame. Not a lot of residences in the area from the YouTube clip someone posted on here. It should be easier to look at the pings and determine who lives near there and who doesn't. Of course, LE may have already looked at or is currently looking at this.

Another argument to bring in the FBI and/or Secret Service with their technical skill sets?

Seems right. Like I know sometimes mine will be dark on the desk and suddenly light up for no reason. Wonder if its pinging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

For HE's cellphone, yes. But what about going to the carrier(s) and see which cellphones pinged in the area of PTL during that general time frame? What about in the vicinity of where her cellphone last pinged? (If it happens to be in the city, though, this maybe like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.)

And then there is the question I asked early on about cellphones and pings. If the cellphone is not moving, not currently being used or called, does it periodically ping nearby cell towers anyway? Just to maintain or verify its location. I tried using internet searches and could not find the answer or at least in terms I could understand.
We have lost many freedoms after 9/11,,the Freedom Act has opened the door for government agencies to poke their noses where THEY feel it's warranted.
As to your question ,I can only answer pertaining to my own.It periodically gives off a signal which is captured by the closest cell tower and will keep on doing do so as long as there is battery life and /or it's on. The LE can request from the local cell phone providers the numbers that "pinged" off any particular cell tower for any particular period of time.

The court believed that your location is voluntarily turned over when the "user makes a choice to get a phone, to select a particular service provider, and to make a call."

No body, no crime is simply not true. Plenty of murder cases are prosecuted based on crime scenes and other evidence without ever recovering the body. Generally, from most cases I have read up on, some sort of crime scene is usually involved, as well as the usual evidence of no bank activity, etc.

And neither is it true that an arrest will necessarily follow discovery of a body. The evidence has to be strong enough already, otherwise the body is another piece of evidence. But not always enough.

Hi I'm new here! I've read through everything posted and it's gotten so frustrating that nothing else has been told to the public,nothing to go on at all really! But my god u lot are fantastic,bright,caring and well I think u are all brill!! I hope I can add something somewhere sometime in this mighty site! :) xx

T-Mobile does not have good service at Peachtree Landing. AT&T does. I checked that angle out this past week. Hopes this helps.

I had a very intense conversation with a friend in LE..making every arguement I could think of for LE to obtain the records of the cell phone towers where HE's phone pinged during a certain time. Answer was the same for every arguement. LE has to have probable cause , cannot go on a fishing expedition and hope something turns up. Invasion of privacy issues.

I disagreed and felt it was no different than LE investigating a crime at a business and running all the fingerprints found there. And that since everyone knows their phones ping off cell phone towers , IMO they waive the privacy issue if they didn't turn their phone off by said tower.

Bolded & sized by me. I just caught your word several.

If any searchers are reading here that were smoking while searching - PLEASE STOP - bc you could potentially damage evidence you may come across!

It was quite surprising the number of people smoking the past three days, even leaders. Today we were told that if anyone smoked during the search to just make sure to pick up your cigarette butts and put them in your pocket.

The most worrying connections to me are Heather, Amber, and Brittnee D. All have similar physical profiles and all could have been targeted by a frequent visitor to MB. Heather and Brittnee have disappeared without a trace, possibly suggesting an experienced predator. The perp could also be aware of the seeming tendency of LE in the area not to draw attention to disappearances due to tourism concerns.Amber was found by her car, but from the news report video linked upstream, it sounds like she may have put up more of a fight than the perp intended which caused the perp to have to kill her by her car.

kytty..Jamie Cross was found safe..She left on her own

I totally agree and def applaud her for searching. We must have been typing at the same time. Just hope she and the others stop smoking while searching bc it's an absolute must-not-do while searching for any kind of evidence. Besides, looking at how dry the brush is, it's a potential fire hazard.

Thanks Foxfire and Jersey Girl...I wasn't one of the smokers (17 months smoke free, whoop whoop!). Sorry if I gave the impression that I was, or that I was ok with people smoking out there!

It was quite surprising the number of people smoking the past three days, even leaders. Today we were told that if anyone smoked during the search to just make sure to pick up your cigarette butts and put them in your pocket.
I would think it has more to do with wasting resources in a DNA search(on the cigarette butt) in case other evidence is found and any butt/can etc would be swabbed in the immediate area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14