DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff, TopCat. Thanks!

Love the 4th Amendment :)

Salem

The Tidewater location reminds me somewhat of the Killing Fields in that it appears to be rather directly off the highways, in this case, 31 and 501...

The Feds have been able to get the tower dumps for some time under a 1986 law. But it didn't apply to state and local jurisdictions. Each jurisdiction has had to wage their own fight. As often happens, some will use the methods and won't bother to fight for them until they are caught and called on the carpet, so to speak. Then they will go to court - which is what happened in the 5th Circuit.

According to the article I linked up thread, South Carolina has been using tower dumps and now they are being called on the carpet for it. So So. Carolina is going to have to court and push the issue and get a ruling for the local jurisdictions.

New Jersey has already been to court and the state of New Jersey requires a search warrant based on probable cause.

Every jurisdiction is different until the Supreme Court speaks on the issue. I don't think that has happened yet.

So yes, both posters could be right.

Salem

ETA: here's the article again: http://reason.com/blog/2013/12/04/police-use-tower-dumps-to-collect-your-c

Salem, again I thank you. What started out as a simple little question turned into something pretty interesting and I personally feel is significant. What you and Topcat provided is amazing.

So applying this new tech info you guys gave us, is it safe to say if Heather's not responsible for her own disappearance and somebody else is, that that perp probably had a smartphone as well and maybe his/her cell pinged off of a tower near her home &/or Peachtree?

I'm thinking of the Drexel's searching for HE and their dear little girl's bones may be what searchers have found also. Bittersweet............prayers

Another family was out searching today...Gayle Soles with (I believe) her brother and grandson...her daughter Crystal has been missing since 2005. How do these families find their strength, and what do you even say to them when you meet them? It's heartbreaking :(

Imo, info garnered from HE's timeline; cell phone pings, etc., should give investigators an indication of whether foul play is involved in her mysterious disappearance.
From our info many scenarios are possible, and the worse case scenario is stranger/slight acquaintance abduction.
If HE was abducted by an experienced predator. Cell phone forensics clues would likely be scarce, imo. Most experienced career criminals and predators use throwaway cell phones, are forensically aware, very calculating, and deflective. The lack of evidence and info is a clue in itself, imo.

Confessed murderer/sexual predator Donnie Frank Jones, Jr.(TN-2012) persuaded a friend to purchase multiple throwaway phones in order to conduct a ruse in the abduction/murder of nursing student Megan Sharpton. Fortunately investigators eventually tracked down the friend of DFJ Jr., and prosecuted him..

Pain of daughter's death too much for Tullahoma, Tenn., mom - 11?13/2013
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/nov/13/grieving-mom-finds-the-pain-too-much/
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
TN - Burning Body of Erika Megan Sharpton Found Along Road, Tullahoma
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177602&page=11&highlight=megan+sharpton

Another family was out searching today...Gayle Soles with (I believe) her brother and grandson...her daughter Crystal has been missing since 2005. How do these families find their strength, and what do you even say to them when you meet them? It's heartbreaking :(

So selfless and courageous. I guess they're all members of a "club" they'd rather not belong to, so to speak. Breaks my heart but so inspiring that they are joining together to try to help another family with the heartache they've experienced themselves. Gives you a little more faith in humanity, doesn't it?

Does anyone know exactly the distance of how far apart all 4 findings of the bones have occurred? Is there a map yet of this? TIA

Not all do Cgs, the mother of Megan Sharpton recently went to be with her daughter. The confessed murderer of her daughter DFJ Jr., recanted his confession and is seeking a new trial. Just couldn't bear the pain..

RE: what do you even say to them when you meet them

I learned very quickly that it is best to listen to them, and one thing you don't say to a family member of the missing/murdered is the word 'closure'. I learned the hard way..

new post on FHEFB by Bill...all in caps and he sounds like he is begging with all his might. It almost seems like he is speaking to a specific person and not just in general....heart wrenching.

Not all do Cgs, the mother of Megan Sharpton recently went to be with her daughter. The confessed murderer of her daughter DFJ Jr., recanted his confession and is seeking a new trial. Just couldn't bear the pain..

God help us :(

Just a thought. Many of you aren't local. I'm not quite local, but drive through there on occasion. I'm two hours from local.

Anyway, Myrtle Beach caters to guys playing golf. There are a ton of strip clubs (or use to be, have driven the bypass lately).

It does have a family side slash dark side.

Yes, and there's a strip club right around PTL if I'm not mistaken, mentioned upstream??

bolded by me....maybe that's why the local media is lacking as is the LE pressers

I have to disagree with this. There has been coverage in regards to HE, as well as the other two that were missing, on all 3 area news channels and in the paper everyday. I also disagree with those that have stated crimes are down played or kept quiet due to tourist. Pretty much everyday in the media you read/see within Horry county and MB city about a stabbing, shooting, assault, burglary, armed robbery, and even prostitution.

Topcat, I didn't mean to single you out on your comment it just happened to be the last one I read.

Yes, and there's a strip club right around PTL if I'm not mistaken, mentioned upstream??

There's also a strip club within walking distance of this weekend's search, on Waccamaw Blvd.

Imo, info garnered from HE's timeline; cell phone pings, etc., should give investigators an indication of whether foul play is involved in her mysterious disappearance.
From our info many scenarios are possible, and the worse case scenario is abduction.
If HE was abducted by an experienced predator. Cell phone forensics clues would likely be scarce, imo. Most experienced career criminals and predators use throwaway cell phones, are forensically aware, very calculating, and deflective. The lack of evidence and info is a clue in itself, imo.

Confessed murderer/sexual predator Donnie Frank Jones, Jr.(TN-2012) persuaded a friend to purchase multiple throwaway phones in order to conduct a ruse in the abduction/murder of nursing student Megan Sharpton. Fortunately investigators eventually tracked down the friend of DFJ Jr., and prosecuted him..
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/20014641/man-charged-with-murder-of-tullahoma-nursing-student

Didn't the start GPS tech on throwaways a couple years ago? Or did they just talk abut it? I thought the DEA helped push it through? Am I misremembering? Did it not get passed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli