SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This entire case is probably the most "diverse" and multi-faceted I have seen in a long time. Because of the age we live in- with all the social media sites showing our moods, our weight, our sexual desires... It can go so many ways. No LE presser, no news... It's all sad. I hope for the best in this case but fear the worst. JMO

Here is what I have encountered from personal experience. My best friend died in a tragic accident several years ago. However, at first none of us knew it was a tragic accident and we all suspected foul play from her ex. Anyway, her family and I kept requesting a copy of the police report to no avail. We were told that they were not allowed to give us a copy...which is total BS. I reference FOIA and got 2 mailed copies the following week. A lot of which was redacted....BUT...it was done very poorly. The names and SSN's of all people at 'the party' were still easily visible. I couldn't believe it and neither could her parents. Needless to say it was a shoddy report, many of the pages were duplicates and it did not give us any real answers. All of this is from my personal experience with the VA State Police in a a tiny little town.

How horrible to lose your best friend. So sorry. You're a good friend to look further into the situation in order to satisfy that the accident was the true story.

When I lived in VA, outside of and later on Fort Belvoir, my social security number was the number on my VA driver's license. Also social security numbers used to be displayed on the front of our military id cards too.
Go figure!

I had not seen about the anonymous tip tent. I am so glad they did this. What a great idea because I do agree with the article that a lot of people do want to help but are afraid to give their name and information out.

Those are valid fears too for a whole host of reasons. For example if the tip involves a person doing something illegal and the tipster thinks it could be related to the case, but once LE checks it out, it had nothing to do with the case but still gets the person in trouble somehow because of the illegal part. That person may seek revenge on the tipster.

Just the fear of something like that happening prevents some people from helping even though they may have critical information to help find HE. So providing a way for anonymous tips is a great idea.

I know some states have a phone number that is supposed to be anonymous to leave tips on but IMO a lot of people are afraid to use it even though they claim it would stay anonymous. I like the idea of the drop box because a person should feel very comfortable using that method.

Some people may be very cautious and I could even see where some may be afraid of the drop box method and they may go so far as to get someone else to drop off the tip for them. Like...."Hey Billy" (10 year old neighbor down the street), "Here is 5 bucks. Can you run this slip of paper down to the drop box". :floorlaugh:

This entire case is probably the most "diverse" and multi-faceted I have seen in a long time. Because of the age we live in- with all the social media sites showing our moods, our weight, our sexual desires... It can go so many ways. No LE presser, no news... It's all sad. I hope for the best in this case but fear the worst. JMO

I am sooo glad this stuff wasn't around when I was growing up. I'd be 6 ft under I'm sure.

Weird that it's not her Facebook account. Whose would it be? Especially with her ex on the friends list. That seems very odd?

I think this might be my last post on this thread. I have nothing else useful to add. I firmly believe, and have from the start, that Heather's disappearance - and I'm terribly sorry for stating this, family members - death is down to her social circle. My only hope now is that somebody cracks under LE pressure. Or, as I strongly, strongly suspect, somebody has already passed their suspicions over to LE and this case is being investigated on the DL.

I may be 100% wrong but I think LE has a POI, a motive and a witness *of some kind*. I think they are on body watch before they can make a convincing case to the DA.

With all due respect to Heather's family, I think she died that night and several people are covering their asses. But someone will talk, if they haven't already, and that will tie into a suspicious wife/girlfriend/employer/parent.

With that said, I'm out until more is known. I can't get into the SM stuff, it's typical young adult from where I stand. Dr visits are not my area of expertise and weight gain or loss has nothing to do with Heather's disappearance IMVHO.

I very much hope she is alive and enjoying South Beach or Thailand or wherever, but I doubt it. I hope I'm wrong.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh: good sense of humor!
Don't ever recall a mess quite like this about a police report...
LE should hold a presser to clear the air, no?

Yes, they should. And why do County Police Departments have FB pages anyway? I don't have FB myself but these sites are public. So, I decided to check out the Horry County FB page. Wouldn't that be a good place for police to make a statement, issue a correction or state whether or not the report was obtained legally or permitted for public consumption?

Nothing has been posted on the page for some time (I forgot to note the date). People ask questions; no one provides any answers. Why have a FB then? The only information that comes from the actual Police Department people is when someone receives an award or something having nothing to do with the concerns of the citizens.

Really, why have a FB page? They should put the award stuff within a link on their official .org website page imo. Additionally, if a person writes info on the FB page that seems as if it might be important, someone else advises that they send the tip through another source. In other words, LE's not reading the FB page. Lame imo.

Yes, they should. And why do County Police Departments have FB pages anyway? I don't have FB myself but these sites are public. So, I decided to check out the Horry County FB page. Wouldn't that be a good place for police to make a statement, issue a correction or state whether or not the report was obtained legally or permitted for public consumption?

Nothing has been posted on the page for some time (I forgot to note the date). People ask questions; no one provides any answers. Why have a FB then? The only information that comes from the actual Police Department people is when someone receives an award or something having nothing to do with the concerns of the citizens.

Really, why have a FB page? They should put the award stuff within a link on their official .org website page imo. Additionally, if a person writes info on the FB page that seems as if it might be important, someone else advises that they send the tip through another source. In other words, LE's not reading the FB page. Lame imo.

It seems to be self serving as you said I don't think they have a PR person never mind a internet person to update the site..budget can't support it I guess..

I think they tried a sort of "tip tent" in Holly Bobo's case...even with a huge reward of $250k nothing has come through of any use, apparently...all this time later. Hope they get better results.

I am not 100% convinced that if people have info, they won't go to police, in most cases. I know it may be true in neighborhoods with gang shootings, etc...but I think most people who have valid info get their tips in, for the most part. I also would hope that LE does not need tips from the public to think of checking various cameras in the area...but you never know I guess.

I think their best hope in getting real info comes from the report being leaked...even if no one is acknowledging it, people know now, who might be good to focus on, and may recall something they saw. JMO

Bringing this over from the Admin at http://facebook.com/FindHeatherElvis

"Findheatherelvis: Every search that is done in regards to Heather Elvis and this case is to ONLY be done through CUE. We will ONLY be issuing those requests from now on. Earlier today, we had a miscommunication and that is why the Elvis family issued the statement they did. HCPD has CUE running their searches because they have a long-running working relationship with them which includes having volunteers sign-up and sign-in and sign-out of every search that takes place and their strict procedures for tagging and handling possible evidence. We apologize for the confusion. Thank you for understanding. ~April"

I believe this is within WS TOS, as it relates directly to the active search for Heather, and is clarifying an previous post (found under "Post by Others") that I posted upthread

I hope the turnout is significant
#FindHeatherElvis

Watching yet another show where a victim's body is found in an area previously searched.

ETA...LE in this same case, to get help they go to the community...not the media.

Watching yet another show where a victim's body is found in an area previously searched.

ETA...LE in this same case, to get help they go to the community...not the media.

Yes I saw it earlier today. The 11 yo old that was missing, right? .

WOW.

I must be getting old because I had no idea what a "Vine" was. Is it just me or are there too many SM sites to choose from these days.

I just stumbled over a "Vine" and "Tumbled" onto "Facebook" only to find out that someone sent me a "Twitter" which made me "Flick" an "Instagram" over to "Photobucket" and then I saw myself on "Youtube".

All this made me drink a "Pint" and then I fell on the floor "Googling" in "Myspace". :floorlaugh:

Did you remember to take a selfie to mark the monumental occasion? :tyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member