SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SBM - couldn't agree more!

Isn't it strange how certain elements of a case just grab ya? For some reason when I first read about Heather, the car was an issue for me.

52d98c85ad09b.image.jpg

:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

Could CUE search be postponed due to SLED search? Just a thought.

That's kinda what I was wondering in a very confusing and wordy post up thread :)
I am wondering if they search independent of one another in this case.

After sort of walking myself through it, as her, I can't understand going there after the date. It was late, cold and why go? So I keep thinking maybe someone knocked on the door, someone she knew, she gave them a ride and then something went very wrong. I think they drove her car there to confuse LE, to make it look like she went there and left with someone. JMO. No proof, just going there to take a boat ride or giving someone a ride there, makes no sense to me. There are so many places better to meet up.
The week Heather disappeared we had record highs for the month of December, it wasn't cold at all.

That's kinda what I was wondering in a very confusing and wordy post up thread :)
I am wondering if they search independent of one another in this case.

I believe they work together, but using sonar/ultrasonic waves certainly could be distorted if you put 100 or so bodies..and bodies of dogs, horse, etc in the search area being covered, right?

Isn't it strange how certain elements of a case just grab ya? For some reason when I first read about Heather, the car was an issue for me.

It reminds me of a case.. was it Kathlynn Shepard? ... where belongings were curiously tossed far from everything that mattered. The car instantly hit me as being like that. "hey, LE look over there!" *points the other way as a distraction*

Also, IMO if you're searching with a helicopter you're either searching for a person/body (so other people in the area would be distracting), or you're searching for disturbed ground/evidence (so other people in the area would be a distraction) or you're using technology to detect body heat (so other people in the area would be a distraction).

IMO, of course.

But I'm pretty sure it'd be stranger to have helicopters looking at the same time as people on the ground, than not - unless someone has JUST gone missing.

JMO, like I said.

My first impression, reading this article, is not good. It's like a slap in the face to the family and those that are looking for HE.

Can you elaborate? I did not get that impression but I'm open to looking at things differently.

I was a moderator on a political blog a few years back. The opinions expressed don't rise to defamation because the mods here on WS are Very quick to monitor and edit/delete ones that may hit that mark. Libel requires intent to defame - I commend the mods here again are spot on those comments. MOO

The subject is interesting but very confusing as well. All people, who have ever gossiped, should be arrested!
Defamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Privacy reasons are stressed for the reason to bring charges in the link above. Yesterday I posted a pdf article by the Reporters Committee for the Freedom of the Press, Winter 2008, where it was explained that privacy issues weren't applicable when it comes to people named within police investigations. I'm not sure I'm stating the point exactly but, my point is, police reports are available for public viewing under most state laws.

I'm not bringing this up to argue with WS rules and I understand the problems of false accusation and the lingering suspicions following having a finger falsely pointed at someone (and feel compassion for those who are falsely accused) but, the laws really are confusing to say the least and should NOT protect criminals imo. Another point made is police records should remain open for these reasons - that people can look up those who've been exonerated as well if need be.

I'm linking the report again here, in case somebody wants to tackle a layman's explanation of these laws.
http://www.rcfp.org/rcfp/orders/docs/POLICE.pdf

Can you elaborate? I did not get that impression but I'm open to looking at things differently.

The article says that she was questioned after the meeting. So I pictured this woman sorta being cornered and saying not once but twice that yes she got involved but its not the norm.
Gov. Nikki Haley said Friday she had stepped in to help find missing 20-year-old Heather Elvis, a move, she said, is rare for the governor to do. and She said it is atypical for a governor to get involved in a missing person’s case, and did not elaborate on what help she provided.

Then she pointed out that the family "needed extra attention" and then mentioned that there were so many missing people in SC. Then praised the police department and redirected everyone's attention.

I don't think that a governor doesn't not get involved. And I don't think the family needs 'EXTRA' attention, they need help finding their daughter and like most parents, they will take any avenue to do it.

So, the article bothered me.

I think (guess) the governor is making a point to placate families of other missing people at the same time. She is saying, yes, she got involved in this case (though not how) and IMO it is only due to the ruckus raised on FB. But I still do not understand what they were wanting from her...were they denied any search tactics that they asked for? Had LE turned them down?

My first impression, reading this article, is not good. It's like a slap in the face to the family and those that are looking for HE.

*slap is a little strong......Maybe I should use the term snarky.
It seems self aggrandizing rather than as if the Gov actually cared. JMHO. Just the title of the article alone "Gov. Haley confirms she has helped find Heather Elvis" makes it sound like she actually FOUND Heather. Much of the article is written in the same way.

“I have been in contact with [South Carolina Law Enforcement Division] during the entire investigation, as well as with the police department here on the ground."

I seriously doubt she has been in contact with SCLED during the ENTIRE investigation. Why would she have been? That doesn't even make sense.

"We try and avoid direct contact because there are so many missing people in South Carolina,”

This to me seems like a good reason to HAVE direct contact with the families of missing people. Isn't it kind of concerning that there ARE so many missing people in SC?

She would have been better off keeping her mouth closed. Again, JMO.

The article says that she was questioned after the meeting. So I pictured this woman sorta being cornered and saying not once but twice that yes she got involved but its not the norm.
Gov. Nikki Haley said Friday she had stepped in to help find missing 20-year-old Heather Elvis, a move, she said, is rare for the governor to do. and She said it is atypical for a governor to get involved in a missing person’s case, and did not elaborate on what help she provided.

Then she pointed out that the family "needed extra attention" and then mentioned that there were so many missing people in SC. Then praised the police department and redirected everyone's attention.

I don't think that a governor doesn't not get involved. And I don't think the family needs 'EXTRA' attention, they need help finding their daughter and like most parents, they will take any avenue to do it.

So, the article bothered me.
This was a campaign stop, right? That's why the helicopters were out TODAY. It's not a coincidence. It should only bother you if you're not immune yet to the fakeness of politicians doing political stunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member