SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, anything that could be an alibi. Hmm. if I took a picture now, right now, and then edited in a diff background I wonder what the stats of the pic would tell. Would it only show the date and time, or would it also show it'd been edited. Of course it could have just been cropped... very confusing.

I don't have a link handy but there are many image processors that analyze JPEG artifacts to indicate where an image was edited. You're correct that the when would be ambiguous. And if it's a matter of bodies being edited into a background.. that could be explained away by attempts at creating a more flattering silhouette. :)

I can't see a photo of one's alleged whereabouts being any sort of dealbreaker in this digital age. JMO though. Doesn't hold weight to credit card receipts and phone pings.

My computer is going into time out until it decides it will work with me. Also the new version of Flowers in the Attic is about to come on Lifetime and I ain't missin' that. :) I'll check in on commercials via tapatalk!

.......goes back to humming "It's a Small World Afterall"......:blushing:

I was 4/5 & Daddy took me to WDW. ended up being quite traumatic, some dude was squished to death on that ride! I remember screams, a woman passed out, Daddy put his hands over my face, picks me up and runs! that song creeps me out in a major way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

From the time I started following this case things were different for me maybe a gut feeling idk but there is NO reason NO matter the circumstances that a Father & Mother should go thru hell for the truth most less bringing their child home good or bad! SOMEONE needs to pick up the phone & tell these parents where their daughter is THAT is #1 for now CLOSURE & if it is by a crime THEN LE can handle things BUT for this moment in time Heather Elvis's Dad, Mom and her siblings need peace!!!! I do feel however if things don't start progressing with the "non-talkers" people are going to start loosing self control & I myself as a Mother would do what I had to do to get answers to bring my baby home!

IMO, not likely anyone will confess, certainly not unless they are charged and trying to make a deal. I do not think she is alive...and whoever knows for sure is not about to let her parents know. They will cover their own butts. I think it was a personal, selfish crime.

*Now WS acting up again for me, lol

It appears that this free application can tell you if a photo has been altered.

http://impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html

JPEGsnoop is a free Windows application that examines and decodes the inner details of JPEG and MotionJPEG AVI files. It can also be used to analyze the source of an image to test its authenticity.

I have never used this application myself but it might prove useful in some cases. :fence:

The only reason I personally would park a car like that was if I was pulling in behind someone.

HE's car was parked parallel to the water though, not along the drive leading up to the water. The passenger door would open towards the water. A person could step out of the car, take a few steps, and jump directly into the water if they wanted to. The landing ramp was in front of the car. If a car was parked in front of her, that car would block the entrance to the ramp.

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2014/01/07/elvis-heather-missing-after-date-myrtle-beach-car-found

Posting the link where TE describes how the Dodge was parked at PTL.

LOL and I'm the opposite. At age 3 that is the only ride I would let my parents take me on. I refused to get off so we just went around and around and around. My dad hates that ride HAHAHA.

I was 4/5 & Daddy took me to WDW. ended up being quite traumatic, some dude was squished to death on that ride! I remember screams, a woman passed out, Daddy put his hands over my face, picks me up and runs! that song creeps me out in a major way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Don't bank on it, andalso. Just depends on the policy of the investigative agency and many other factors.

http://www.wtvy.com/home/headlines/104337718.html

Highway Serial Killers? Yes, Says FBI
Updated: Tue 8:31 AM, Oct 05, 2010

"We seem to have one a week that comes in," says Michael Harrigan, the special agent who oversaw the FBI's effort for the past three years. "It could be a killing that's 30 years old. It could be one that happened a week ago." Whether the oldest and coldest cases can be solved, Harrigan is uncertain. But he's hopeful.

Harrigan and other law enforcement authorities believe serial killers still operate along some of the most well-traveled roads in the nation.

<sniped - read more>

snipped by me...

that is eerily enlightening Foxfire

My computer is going into time out until it decides it will work with me. Also the new version of Flowers in the Attic is about to come on Lifetime and I ain't missin' that. :) I'll check in on commercials via tapatalk!

Thanks for the reminder!!! I love anything VC Andrews!

Really, anything that could be an alibi. Hmm. if I took a picture now, right now, and then edited in a diff background I wonder what the stats of the pic would tell. Would it only show the date and time, or would it also show it'd been edited. Of course it could have just been cropped... very confusing.

I think it would show when modified...not sure though

It appears that this free application can tell you if a photo has been altered.

http://impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html

JPEGsnoop is a free Windows application that examines and decodes the inner details of JPEG and MotionJPEG AVI files. It can also be used to analyze the source of an image to test its authenticity.

I have never used this application myself but it might prove useful in some cases. :fence:

Thanks for the link! Yeah. Can be a good tool, but easily falls victim to confirmation bias if one is actively looking for evidence of something being 'shopped. When Reddit was busy trying to sleuth the Boston Bombers someone posted an image of one of them sans backpack, ran through one of those analyzers, which showed a high amount of suspicious pixel activity and compression where the backpack used to be. No one noticed at the time that it had pulled the same result for areas of the photo that had that same color in it (some sign behind his arm or something). I'm sure LE's a little more sophisticated with their tools and judgement.

I think I'm commenting at this point because I have no idea what anyone's talking about re: photoshopping. Just gonna sit you-know-how.
x200.jpg

HE's car was parked parallel to the water though, not along the drive leading up to the water. The passenger door would open towards the water. A person could step out of the car, take a few steps, and jump directly into the water if they wanted to. The landing ramp was in front of the car. If a car was parked in front of her, that car would block the entrance to the ramp.

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2014/01/07/elvis-heather-missing-after-date-myrtle-beach-car-found

Is it possible that the car was parked parallel to the water, but the opposite way of what you suggest? So, that the driver's door would open towards the water and the driver could jump directly in the water if they wanted to?
IMOO.

So, if someone were to need an alibi in this case...how long would their alibi have to be for?

Is it possible to figure that out?

Thanks for the link! Yeah. Can be a good tool, but easily falls victim to confirmation bias if one is actively looking for evidence of something being 'shopped. When Reddit was busy trying to sleuth the Boston Bombers someone posted an image of one of them sans backpack, ran through one of those analyzers, which showed a high amount of suspicious pixel activity and compression where the backpack used to be. No one noticed at the time that it had pulled the same result for areas of the photo that had that same color in it (some sign behind his arm or something). I'm sure LE's a little more sophisticated with their tools and judgement.

I think I'm commenting at this point because I have no idea what anyone's talking about re: photoshopping. Just gonna sit you-know-how.
x200.jpg

May I pull up a "hand" and join you, as I am also still confused with the photoshop topic. :dunno::waitasec:

I'm not getting what TE says where the car was found and where you're saying it was and in what position it was found....

Attachments

• PTL.PNG
    PTL.PNG
    709.8 KB · Views: 84
There is a lot of information behind an image. It can tell you when the picture was taken and when it was last modified. It can also tell you what kind of camera, what aperture or shutter speed... lots of technical info. Sometimes you can even get the name of the person who did the editing... some software requires your info to register the software. You can't get all of that information from all images though.

I once edited a picture of my brother-in-law. It was published in the local paper and it was of him with his arm around the new (female) mayor. I moved his arm in the image so his hand was on her boob. My sister made the new image her desktop picture. He never said a word about it until a visitor mentioned it months later. He'd noticed the hand right away and was horrified that the whole town had seen it in the paper. :)

I remember a case (child *advertiser censored* I think) where a guy had used the swirl effect on his mac to blur his image. LE opened the image on a mac and basically "unswirled" the image and had a perfect shot of him.

May I pull up a "hand" and join you, as I am also still confused with the photoshop topic. :dunno::waitasec:

I think the photoshop comments illustrate how a person could create an alibi if they were deemed a suspect or person of interest, and they could use a photoshopped photo of their self and/or with others as physical proof that they were not in the vicinity where a crime was committed.
IMOO.

One of the tools in my arsenal but, after uploading to SM, a picture's original exif data is destroyed (as far as I know).

Exif Data Viewer

Exif data can show a lot of information that is stored in a file. Most of the info comes from the digital camera like type of camera and shutter speed.

Exchangeable image file format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Adobe Bridge and Lightroom for example, you can actually set all kinds of extra information. Like copyright information, e-mail address and website of the Photographer.

XMP (Adobe's Extensible Metadata Platform) and IPTC (International Press Telecommunications Council) technologies are basically the tools and standards used to create the exif data itself.

http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/
http://www.iptc.org/

And, no @CarolinaAsh, exif data will not show Photoshop edits &#8211; but, it can show some very telling stuff.

The key is to have the original photo.

I think the photoshop comments illustrate how a person could create an alibi if they were deemed a suspect or person of interest, and they could use a photoshopped photo of their self and/or with others as physical proof that they were not in the vicinity where a crime was committed.
IMOO.

..LOL as if today's technology couldn't unravel it, especially when it's the work of an amateur

I wish Heathers last date would come forth and speak out...Maybe she mentioned something...anything ! I don't understand why he doesn't come forth to the media....after all...Wasn't he the last person to actually 'see' Heather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisy82504