SC SC - Johnny Lamar Brown, 44, Myrtle Beach, 3 Aug 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I doubt if his parents even have a computer or know how to use one, but surely his sister has had some experience with computers. I don't understand this, either. If I could afford it, I'd go to MB and help look for him myself. It's breaking my heart that there is so little interest in Johnny's case.

I imagine the parents don't use a computer and they rely on the younger people in the family to do what's need on one. I feel very sorry for Johnny's parents because they are worried sick. For them to stay in MB for a week, alone, with no transportation says a lot to me. I'm so thankful that the MBPD treated them so well. JMO

I feel like we're walking on tippy toes to not say the wrong thing, let me put it this way---
If this was my loved one I would want anyone who was willing to help, in any way, to do so. I would be the one who would be contacting the various resources at my disposal. I would be on here in a heart beat begging all of you to help me and provide me with direction. I would be begging the media (any media) to keep this story in the news. I would make sure that all those who were helping received the most honest information I could provide you with. I'd have a FB page up that didn't ask for money for me, but to help find my LO. If it was put up like that by mistake, I'd get it changed PRONTO. I'd use whatever means I had to find my LO. The only way I wouldn't do those things is if I was flat out told not to by LE (which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's possible I guess) or I was in some way responsible for what happened to my loved one. That's just me.... not this family, no one else...just me. And that's JMO.

Sorry to quote myself, but wanted to add that I think Johnny's parents are truly heartbroken and want him back yesterday. I don't think they're running the ship though.

I want to make it clear that when I say "responsible" I mean anything from making poor choices, an argument, or whatever.

edited to add--even then, I'd own it and move on to find my loved one.

I know his parents' hearts must be so heavy with worry right now. Feeling helpless would be typical of any parents, but when they are elderly, it's harder on them.
These people need our support and our love and our help to bring Johnny home. I don't know what I can do, I'm old myself, and have health problems to boot, but I know I can pray for them, so that's what I'll keep doing.

I know his parents' hearts must be so heavy with worry right now. Feeling helpless would be typical of any parents, but when they are elderly, it's harder on them.
These people need our support and our love and our help to bring Johnny home. I don't know what I can do, I'm old myself, and have health problems to boot, but I know I can pray for them, so that's what I'll keep doing.

I pray for all of them, too. The parents must feel helpless, as you said. They are probably not up on the latest technology and don't know what can be done via the internet and other means. I'm guessing there are people in the family that are.

If it might help to boost spirits for everyone, remember that the number of posters doesn't always = the number of readers online. So it may be that folks are reading about Johnny and doing things in their own communities without posting online!

Someone upthread mentioned something that I think is really important (my apologies, can't remember who it was) but it was the terrible with directions thing.

Some people with special needs often have a very difficult time understanding geography. Linear is not the same as circular. For example, I have an autistic family member who is very high functioning- but he does not understand time zones, and although we live in the same time zone... he always thinks we do not, because of the time it takes to get to visit.
Maybe the 'time it takes to visit' is an approach we can use in Johnny's case?
Like- did he know it took xyz long to get to the beach, and maybe that's how long it would take to get back home? But without directional ability?
So then we have a new radius we can work? Just a thought, anyway.

If it might help to boost spirits for everyone, remember that the number of posters doesn't always = the number of readers online. So it may be that folks are reading about Johnny and doing things in their own communities without posting online!

Someone upthread mentioned something that I think is really important (my apologies, can't remember who it was) but it was the terrible with directions thing.

Some people with special needs often have a very difficult time understanding geography. Linear is not the same as circular. For example, I have an autistic family member who is very high functioning- but he does not understand time zones, and although we live in the same time zone... he always thinks we do not, because of the time it takes to get to visit.
Maybe the 'time it takes to visit' is an approach we can use in Johnny's case?
Like- did he know it took xyz long to get to the beach, and maybe that's how long it would take to get back home? But without directional ability?
So then we have a new radius we can work? Just a thought, anyway.

I hope you're right about that and people are doing what they can for Johnny. I feel discouraged because ,if you Google Johnny Brown, mostly everything that comes up is a direct result of WS members. <modsnip>, there isn't ONE single new item about Johnny! The Google search brings up, CUE, the local news, Topix, WS, etc. that were all due to people here. The ONE thing tha tthe family was able to do was to have a Facebook page put up that asked for donations to help them. <modsnip> there are computers at libraries (IF they don't have one at home.)they were given the names of all kinds of people who could help in their community,<modsnip>. I am not including the parents when I say family because I think they aren't able to do as much as they'd like. I feel truly sorry for them. The rest of the family needs to put there heads together and get a decent FB page that people will comfortable passing around. I don't share their FB because I (and many others)don't agree with it. IMO there are a couple of things that hinder the search for Johnny (right or wrong). I have come up against this while spreading the word.
1) people always ask why they let Johnny go off by himself with no ID and 2) the Facebook bothers people, so they won't share it.

It's too late to fix#1, but #2 can be fixed and they've been saying they were going to do it for weeks, but they don't. It's such a simple thing, but it could mean a lot to Johnny.

So, are you saying (regarding the radius) that we need to look 400 miles or 7 hours in each direction? Well, except east because that would be in the ocean, LOL, but a circle of 400 miles out from MB?? Can you make a map of that radius? That might be helpful for anyone in that area. It kind of makes sense. I believe I'm the directionally impaired person you mentioned in your post LOL, so any visual aids would be great!

It's been over 6 weeks now since Johnny became missing.
He seemed to be visible the first week or so, but has there been any sightings since then?
I just don't understand why he has not been found or at least seen if he is still in MB.
If he has left the area, there is no way to know which direction he may have gone.
The "not knowing".. That's what is so sad.

It's been over 6 weeks now since Johnny became missing.
He seemed to be visible the first week or so, but has there been any sightings since then?
I just don't understand why he has not been found or at least seen if he is still in MB.
If he has left the area, there is no way to know which direction he may have gone.
The "not knowing".. That's what is so sad.

You are so right, he could be anywhere by now. That's why I feel that more needs to be done to spread the word. I don't know what more we can do. At this point, we don't have any idea if there have been anymore sightings. If it's not in MSM we won't know and calling the family isn't helpful because whoever calls can't tell the rest of us. It's a no-win situation. I feel so bad for Johnny because surely he needs help. I pray that he is still alive and well.

I hope you're right about that and people are doing what they can for Johnny. I feel discouraged because ,if you Google Johnny Brown, mostly everything that comes up is a direct result of WS members. <modsnip>, there isn't ONE single new item about Johnny! The Google search brings up, CUE, the local news, Topix, WS, etc. that were all due to people here. The ONE thing tha tthe family was able to do was to have a Facebook page put up that asked for donations to help them. <modsnip> there are computers at libraries (IF they don't have one at home.)they were given the names of all kinds of people who could help in their community,<modsnip>. I am not including the parents when I say family because I think they aren't able to do as much as they'd like. I feel truly sorry for them. The rest of the family needs to put there heads together and get a decent FB page that people will comfortable passing around. I don't share their FB because I (and many others)don't agree with it. IMO there are a couple of things that hinder the search for Johnny (right or wrong). I have come up against this while spreading the word.
1) people always ask why they let Johnny go off by himself with no ID and 2) the Facebook bothers people, so they won't share it.

It's too late to fix#1, but #2 can be fixed and they've been saying they were going to do it for weeks, but they don't. It's such a simple thing, but it could mean a lot to Johnny.

So, are you saying (regarding the radius) that we need to look 400 miles or 7 hours in each direction? Well, except east because that would be in the ocean, LOL, but a circle of 400 miles out from MB?? Can you make a map of that radius? That might be helpful for anyone in that area. It kind of makes sense. I believe I'm the directionally impaired person you mentioned in your post LOL, so any visual aids would be great!

It is easy to get discouraged when you work hard and yet, results don't come. WS'ers count on each other to get them past this, to find new ideas, and new ways of searching.

We have many, many cases here where there is no family at all to help and we manage by focusing on the person that needs to be found, being grateful for what information we do receive, and supporting each other while we seek answers and fresh ideas.

You guys are doing an an AWESOME job on this case and regardless of information you may or may not receive, I know you all will do everything you can to find Johnny.

:yourock:

Salem

It is easy to get discouraged when you work hard and yet, results don't come. WS'ers count on each other to get them past this, to find new ideas, and new ways of searching.

We have many, many cases here where there is no family at all to help and we manage by focusing on the person that needs to be found, being grateful for what information we do receive, and supporting each other while we seek answers and fresh ideas.

You guys are doing an an AWESOME job on this case and regardless of information you may or may not receive, I know you all will do everything you can to find Johnny.

:yourock:

Salem

Thanks, Salem. I think I take this personally because I saw him and didn't stop (not knowing he would be in different clothes). He was so close and now he's no where to be found. I get a little emotional because I've tried, really tried to make up for that by doing whatever I can to help find him. I have to live with myself if he ends up hurt or worse. I want him to come home safe and I want to feel that people (including the family) are at least attempting to make that happen. I do appreciate the posters here who have tried so hard to brainstorm and have made real efforts to do that. It has helped me with the guilt I feel for not stopping and for waiting a day to call. I feel responsible for the fact that he's not home right now, but I also feel frustrated because I don't understand why the lack of attention on Johnny's behalf. There was no Silver Alert, no electronic signs used, no media out side of the local press, and not even a decent Facebook page to let people know about Johnny. I've read a lot here over the years and I get very upset about so many of the cases, but this is the one that got me to register because I feel so invested in it. I appreciate so much that WS is here, with a space dedicated for Johnny's case, because it's more than he's gotten elsewhere. Miss James, OLG, Nonni Brenda, Nosysw, Fabgod (for his song about Johnny) and everyone else who has taken the time to help this man who can't say what he needs to say are making my burden easier in the process.

Tomorrow will be better, I'm sure of it. Today was just a bad day...

You should have no guilt at all! I can say something but it would be hurtful to other's so I'll just zip it however, you should have ZERO guilt.

I know what you mean about families and other cases because I've used much restraint in not posting on the Nancy Jenkins thread. I sit on my hands when I read that one.

You should have no guilt at all! I can say something but it would be hurtful to other's so I'll just zip it however, you should have ZERO guilt.

I know all of the reasons why it doesn't make sense to feel this way, but some days it really overwhelms me. We're having bad storms tomorrow and whenever we do I feel just sick about the whole thing. Thank you, and I know, I just can't help it.

I know all of the reasons why it doesn't make sense to feel this way, but some days it really overwhelms me. We're having bad storms tomorrow and whenever we do I feel just sick about the whole thing. Thank you, and I know, I just can't help it.

PF, you don't need to apologize for anything!!! Hopefully, as time goes forward we will get answers to questions that are currently spoken, and unspoken. I know what you mean about the storms. When I drive around Augusta, Georgia I look for Johnny as I pass people on the street. Today, as I was leaving work, we were starting to get storms and my first thought was Johnny. The weather is going to get cold, and there is no way in heck that I believe he has found some sort of new "family" to hang out with and he has settled in enough to just continue living under a bridge somewhere. :banghead:

Thanks, Salem. I think I take this personally because I saw him and didn't stop (not knowing he would be in different clothes). He was so close and now he's no where to be found. I get a little emotional because I've tried, really tried to make up for that by doing whatever I can to help find him. I have to live with myself if he ends up hurt or worse. I want him to come home safe and I want to feel that people (including the family) are at least attempting to make that happen. I do appreciate the posters here who have tried so hard to brainstorm and have made real efforts to do that. It has helped me with the guilt I feel for not stopping and for waiting a day to call. I feel responsible for the fact that he's not home right now, but I also feel frustrated because I don't understand why the lack of attention on Johnny's behalf. There was no Silver Alert, no electronic signs used, no media out side of the local press, and not even a decent Facebook page to let people know about Johnny. I've read a lot here over the years and I get very upset about so many of the cases, but this is the one that got me to register because I feel so invested in it. I appreciate so much that WS is here, with a space dedicated for Johnny's case, because it's more than he's gotten elsewhere. Miss James, OLG, Nonni Brenda, Nosysw, Fabgod (for his song about Johnny) and everyone else who has taken the time to help this man who can't say what he needs to say are making my burden easier in the process.

Peekerfoo, I want to share with you, and everyone what I just found on another case. It is very similar to Johnny's case in lots of ways. I discovered it on my FB page from a friend. I called Kimster and asked her to set up a Thread for it on the very day I discovered Johnny's thread. Ivy Merck, Missing UGA graduate in Athens Ga. Well this will give us all hope for Johnny. She was found safe!!! And her family gives major credit to....guess who....Websleiths.com! Yea!!! Her family started posting with us, someone on WS suggested they start a FB page about her being missing. She had actually run away, but it wasn't known at first whether or not foul play was involved. This is the article discussing WS's involvement. There is hope for Johnny. http://onlineathens.com/breaking-new...g-athens-woman

The post is at: Ivy Merck 24 Kingsland, August 2012 #3 Page 42, Posted by LLLindsey at 4pm
:woohoo::woohoo:
The above like doesn't pull it up from my post, but go to Ivy's thread, where LLLindsey's post is and you can get it there...

BBM
Peekerfoo
Please don't try to place the blame on yourself by not stopping.
It may or may not have even been Johnny that you saw.
Sometimes a visual sight will merge with a picture and the merged memory will play tricks on what you thought you saw.
You have gone above and beyond what anyone could have asked for to help resolve this case so don't beat yourself up.
One of your new posters may be the one that is seen by the right person (or Johnny) tonight or tomorrow.

Peekerfoo,
Before you blame yourself, remember the Georgetown PD picked Johnny up and let him go, they are experienced officers, used to Runaways, missing persons, etc and they didnt manage to make the pieces fit and return Johnny to his family.
You were going about your business and it was probably the last thing you ever expected to see, yet you did make the connection and came here to do some unbelievable work all at your own time and expense. You are still inspiring others and getting the awareness out there so take it from me, you have done and are doing a great job no doubt about it at all!

PF, you don't need to apologize for anything!!! Hopefully, as time goes forward we will get answers to questions that are currently spoken, and unspoken. I know what you mean about the storms. When I drive around Augusta, Georgia I look for Johnny as I pass people on the street. Today, as I was leaving work, we were starting to get storms and my first thought was Johnny. The weather is going to get cold, and there is no way in heck that I believe he has found some sort of new "family" to hang out with and he has settled in enough to just continue living under a bridge somewhere. :banghead:

I agree, Reannan. I don't think that he's sitting around in cozy place with a whole new support system in place either. It's good that you have Johnny on your mind when you're out and about. Had he been on my mind the day I saw him (and not the robbery that took place the day before at my daughter's house) I may have done something different. I'll just keep looking and pass around the info via flyers and the internet. I'm not giving up on Johnny.

Peekerfoo, I want to share with you, and everyone what I just found on another case. It is very similar to Johnny's case in lots of ways. I discovered it on my FB page from a friend. I called Kimster and asked her to set up a Thread for it on the very day I discovered Johnny's thread. Ivy Merck, Missing UGA graduate in Athens Ga. Well this will give us all hope for Johnny. She was found safe!!! And her family gives major credit to....guess who....Websleiths.com! Yea!!! Her family started posting with us, someone on WS suggested they start a FB page about her being missing. She had actually run away, but it wasn't known at first whether or not foul play was involved. This is the article discussing WS's involvement. There is hope for Johnny. http://onlineathens.com/breaking-new...g-athens-woman

The post is at: Ivy Merck 24 Kingsland, August 2012 #3 Page 42, Posted by LLLindsey at 4pm
:woohoo::woohoo:
The above like doesn't pull it up from my post, but go to Ivy's thread, where LLLindsey's post is and you can get it there...

I read that and it really does give me some hope. I am so glad that Ivy wasn't harmed in any way and was reunited with her family. It was so great to see that WS was a part of that. Her family was wise to come on board and discuss the case.

BBM
Peekerfoo
Please don't try to place the blame on yourself by not stopping.
It may or may not have even been Johnny that you saw.
Sometimes a visual sight will merge with a picture and the merged memory will play tricks on what you thought you saw.
You have gone above and beyond what anyone could have asked for to help resolve this case so don't beat yourself up.
One of your new posters may be the one that is seen by the right person (or Johnny) tonight or tomorrow.

I have wondered that a million times--if that was even Johnny that I saw. I've even sat in my car near where I think I spotted him just to see if another guy might walk by again on his way to work or something. I've never seen him.

Regarding the posters--I was very dismayed yesterday because many of the posters/flyers are gone. I can look at it in a positive light and think that Johnny or someone who's seen him took them and they're going to call. I also think that it could be just random people who took them for whatever reason. I don't know whether to make more, or accept the fact that there have been no more sightings here and he probably isn't in this vicinity any longer.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself, but the guilt thing doesn't go away. I appreciate the kind words from people, but it just sticks with me. I'm sure I'll work it out eventually. Hopefully Johnny will be found safe and sound SOON.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shablee
Back