SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure about the possibility of mental illness. South Carolina has a very mainstream, racist subculture. Its fairly common for people like this young man to be raised in an environment where adults openly express extreme racism and hate. If its all you've heard or known all your life, its easy for an impulsive young man with a new gun to act on that hate.

OTOH, in some ways, the endemic racism and hate is a manifestation of a type of mass societal mental illness, but not the type to be classified as organic or severe mental illness.

Sadly, South Carolina is not the only state in the south to have a mainstream racist subculture. BTW, I'm white & the hate & racism disgusts me no end!! The Civil War has been over 150 years & it's way past time for people to bury it & move forward.

I feel silly that I don't know the answer to this but it doesn't happen too often but is there a greater or more serious charge for killing a Senator? Even if that was not his intent and he just wanted to kill the church goers and one is a Senator, it would still seem like a more serious charge. Does anyone know ? TIA

is an 'assassination' worse than a regular murder (only in terms of charges) i'm not sure.

CNN is speculating that this was very planned, as far as the Senator goes. someone (don't have a name) said that he had traveled two hours to get there and the bible study was a planned thing. (can't find a source for this, a woman on CNN (guest, not host) was discussing it.)

This senator was a big player in the ''cops should wear cameras'' fight. did DSR have any police members in his family? Could that have something to do with it? Honestly, just wondering out loud.

I'm not so sure about the possibility of mental illness. South Carolina has a very mainstream, racist subculture. Its fairly common for people like this young man to be raised in an environment where adults openly express extreme racism and hate. If its all you've heard or known all your life, its easy for an impulsive young man with a new gun to act on that hate.

OTOH, in some ways, the endemic racism and hate is a manifestation of a type of mass societal mental illness, but not the type to be classified as organic or severe mental illness.

Let me say, as a lifelong South Carolinian, that is not true. Ask Gabby Giffords if the man who shot her was from SC. Or the the men who blew up the OK Federal Building.
There are racists and nutjobs EVERYWHERE! Yeah, we got our share, but we are not all racists.
All MOO.

I feel silly that I don't know the answer to this but it doesn't happen too often but is there a greater or more serious charge for killing a Senator? Even if that was not his intent and he just wanted to kill the church goers and one is a Senator, it would still seem like a more serious charge. Does anyone know ? TIA

Not sure on the killing of the senator, but I think hate crimes are federal, aren't they?

I just dont get and never will how a gun is a gift??

I wonder how common it is to gift your child with a gun on their 21st birthday? Were guns big in his family? My son and his wife are big into guns (he's in LE, and her dad was a sheriff) -- both have had extensive firearm training. So, them, I could see buying each other a gun. Maybe it's not so odd.

PD Chief is choking up thanking everyone for their help.

'Lot more to do...but can tell you solicitors office, US attorney's office preparing now to move onto prosecution stage'

Do you think it would have many any difference?

So do you think he shouldn't have been inconvenienced on his quest to find a gun? If criminals are going to get their mitts on a gun anyway, we should just hand one over to them?

I don't think the gifting of a gun is peculiar in itself, as long as it's to a law abiding citizen. Not to a white supremacist felon.

Mayor Riley: 'Want to commend chief, men and women of PD...not a better led PD in our country...extraordinary commitment..

'Terrible human being who would go into place of worship...now in custody where he will always remain....In this great country we hold sacred places where ppl come to practise their faith'

Joe Biden, Pres Obama have called Mayor Riley with sympathies.

Per CNN Suspect was armed when arrested. Thank gawd nobody else was killed.

Mayor Riley's statement very much about support, help and coming together of community to mouurn.

It is also common for people to have Confederate flags and stickers in the South.. 99.9% of them do not shoot up churches. My parents expressed some of these ideas and still do. I have no Confederate emblems and have never shot anyone despite the endemic racism hate, and mass mental illness I am surrounded by here all the time.

Gov Hailey: Want to thank Mayor, Bishop Norris, recovering in hospital...We woke up today (breaks down)...heart and soul of N.Carolina was broken...

She is very, very upset.

I wonder how common it is to gift your child with a gun on their 21st birthday? Were guns big in his family? My son and his wife are big into guns (he's in LE, and her dad was a sheriff) -- both have had extensive firearm training. So, them, I could see buying each other a gun. Maybe it's not so odd.
I think the gifter has to be 110% certain they have a firm handle on the 20 something's mental status. Why? Because if things go wrong, the gifter will have to live with the knowledge they played a rather large part in enabling a tragedy.

A portion of the 20 something population are dealing with hormones, personal problems, extreme anger, entitlement issues and the like. They really aren't fully mature, and they make very poor decisions. Some are up front with their mental challenges, some aren't.
Obviously this doesn't apply to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member