SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only four hours away from Charleston. Surprised they got him alive, honestly.

I just heard about this and deeply saddened. A place of worship should be a safe zone. Prayers to the families. I guess I will never understand evil. WTH is the world coming to?

I'm not so sure about the possibility of mental illness. South Carolina has a very mainstream, racist subculture. Its fairly common for people like this young man to be raised in an environment where adults openly express extreme racism and hate. If its all you've heard or known all your life, its easy for an impulsive young man with a new gun to act on that hate.

OTOH, in some ways, the endemic racism and hate is a manifestation of a type of mass societal mental illness, but not the type to be classified as organic or severe mental illness.

I am disgusted that his father gave him a gun AFTER he had already been in legal trouble. Not just once, but twice.

I don't think either of that legal trouble was violent. I am pretty sure the father never thought he would go nuts like that. Plus, if anyone wants to kill many people, they will find a way anyway.

I respectfully disagree.

If your son was arrested on drug charges, his second arrest, you don't give him a .45 three weeks later for his birthday.

I am curious as to what drugs. I can't seem to find any specifics - just that he was arrested on drug charges

So glad to hear they got him. And got him alive!!!! Very sad times we live in.

I am so glad he has been caught. I was quite afraid he might strike again.

I am curious as to what drugs. I can't seem to find any specifics - just that he was arrested on drug charges
I wondered if it was mushrooms, since he was trespassing in someone's "pasture."

I don't know if I'm getting confused but the friend with access to Roof's FB page who posted the new pic is black, no?

Not on FB so unsure how it's working.

I respectfully disagree.

If your son was arrested on drug charges, his second arrest, you don't give him a .45 three weeks later for his birthday.

Do you think it would have made any difference?

I feel silly that I don't know the answer to this but it doesn't happen too often but is there a greater or more serious charge for killing a Senator? Even if that was not his intent and he just wanted to kill the church goers and one is a Senator, it would still seem like a more serious charge. Does anyone know ? TIA

Was reading the story on Yahoo News and noticed they apparently disabled comments on it- at least I couldn't view them. Can you imagine the stuff the crowd that usually hangs out on there was posting?
Welcome to post-racial America.

I feel silly that I don't know the answer to this but it doesn't happen too often but is there a greater or more serious charge for killing a Senator? Even if that was not his intent and he just wanted to kill the church goers and one is a Senator, it would still seem like a more serious charge. Does anyone know ? TIA

He was a State Senator- no Federal law would be involved. Maybe someone in SC can enlighten us on state law?

I wondered if it was mushrooms, since he was trespassing in someone's "pasture."

That's what I was thinking. He was growing something on somebodys land. Pot maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1