SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not true that guns are "everywhere" and that anyone can get one at any time. It DOES matter whether someone gives a kid--or young adult--a gun as a gift.

My own 18 yr old would have a very hard time getting a gun. We live in a small town in NY and I've only ever seen guns in the wild when hunters cross our property. It's just not a gun culture here. I don't know anyone who has one.

In a gun culture where everyone has one....they seem to have a way of getting used. A gun becomes the final "answer" to problems. Why have one if they're not going to be used?

Anyway, I'm not getting into an argument about whether gun ownership is part of a syndrome of violence. I believe it is. (my last and only post on this topic)

If he said aliens are coming and I am trying to save you, we just take that at face value, too? He could be mad because his black girlfriend broke up with him. We know nothing except hearsay about this person. "A survivor said" (not me but someone told me) is not evidence of anything!!
Why are you so concerned with trying to disprove it was a hate crime?

There is a hate crime investigation going on. That doesn't happen unless they have reason to....according to the news anyway.

CHy1JcEWEAAtVc9.jpg

Cathy retweeted
Erik Sandoval ‏@ErikSandoval 39m39 minutes ago

SC governor says it's time to start healing #CharlestonShooting @local6news @CNN

I should have clarified I meant a hand gun as a gift. Not that a shotgun could not inflict damage tho. I as a Parent who had a young adult already showing disrespect for the law and a drug charge would not hand said adult a hand gun. How does the Father feel now. No way I would want to be associated with making this happen. Sure he could purchase one on his own. Yes how did the paper work, work for gifting this gun????
In SC, if you go to a gun show to purchase, if you buy from a dealer, you fill out the paperwork and wait for the dealer to send it in and get authorization to sell you the gun. If you buy from an individual, who is just there with guns to sell, no paperwork, just agree on a price, and do the deal. If you go to a store, paperwork. If you ask somebody you know to sell you a gun and he agrees, do the deal. That is how it happens here.
But its not like if you go on a hunting trip to another state, and the person/place that is hosting the hunt has stuff you are interested in or that he wants to sell, same thing. Agree on a price and make the swap.
This is all legal here in SC. We own guns, buy and sell guns, live with guns, and no one in my family has ever been involved in a crime involving them. We inherit them, give them as gifts, go to the range to shoot for fun. I'm sure if you are not raised in that environment, it seems extreme or weird, but is no problem for me. My nephew is a certified gun trainer, who gives people the test to be legally licenced to carry. His business is booming.

Let me add that we don't believe in criminals, domestic abusers, drug addicts and the like having access to guns, but I really don't know if there is a way to weed them out.

I cannot believe LE interviewed this lady and told her you can now go give a press conference or an interview and thoroughly disclose everything we've discussed with you since 12 MN.

I've been following story since 2nd tweet appeared, and it seems as though the female victim the suspect supposedly left alive to tell the story is the one who has spoken to church members? And where all these stories originated early on? I think it may be the grandma who sheltered the 5 year old?

CHy8KTWWsAEtlxq.jpg

Jeremy Mathsen retweeted
Dave Faherty ‏@FahertyWSOC9 12m12 minutes ago

Outside Shelby police dept right now. Sources tell us Dylan Roof, suspect in Charleston shooting, inside

I think the US has a mental health issue more than a gun issue. Make getting help for your mental issues free or very cheap. The weapons are only the tip of the iceberg.

It's not true that guns are "everywhere" and that anyone can get one at any time. It DOES matter whether someone gives a kid--or young adult--a gun as a gift.

My own 18 yr old would have a very hard time getting a gun. We live in a small town in NY and I've only ever seen guns in the wild when hunters cross our property. It's just not a gun culture here. I don't know anyone who has one.

In a gun culture where everyone has one....they seem to have a way of getting used. A gun becomes the final "answer" to problems. Why have one if they're not going to be used?

Anyway, I'm not getting into an argument about whether gun ownership is part of a syndrome of violence. I believe it is. (my last and only post on this topic)

This is not New York.

Ooh. Ominous...

Since January, Roof has been arrested twice, both at the Columbiana Mall in Columbia, S.C. According to arrest records, on February 28, Roof went into a Bath and Body Works store wearing all black and asked "out of the ordinary questions," including how many associates were working, when they closed and what time they leave. Mall employees complained and when an officer approached him Roof said "his parents were pressuring him to get a job."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-carolina-shooting-suspect-idd-as-dylann-storm-roof-21/

On CNN, LE official said witnesses told them the gunman stood up and said he was there "to shoot black people."

He didn't "announce" anything that hadn't been said by the police chief or mayor in a press conference.

The Rev. Sharpton is not the villain of every event.

If you were watching and listening to the news last night, you would know that Rev. Sharpton was the first one to publicly announce the death of the Pastor, on twitter and on MSNBC. The statements from the police chief and mayor came later on. At NO time did I say Rev. Sharpton was a/the villain.

This post is coming out of order, as I was just able to log on. But, I don't enjoy having my posts twisted to fit an agenda that I don't participate in, nor a view I don't share. This is a time for peace and healing, not attacking one another.

Glad they have this monster in custody.

Thanks rob for your insight. Some of it is very strange for me. Canadian here and our hand gun laws are incredibly strict. Even the storage of. No carry or open carry here. If i had a hand gun and was cleared to own one I must alert LE when I am transporting to the gun range. Down to what driving route I will take. You dont divert your route and dont stop for a bag of milk either. My Sis and BIL live in the States and both have hand guns. Somewhat familiar with AZ laws but yes it's hard for me to wrap my head around. We have many hunting guns in our home and storage laws do apply.

I guarantee you he read a lot of hate on the Internet about black people. I bet he has quite the Internet history. The Internet allows people to congregate with those who agree with their views. Every time there is a crime in the news involving a black person as the perp, there are comments on MSM sites about how much crime black people commit, etc. So then you have someone like Roof who reads that crap, and it feeds his anger and hatred towards black people. That's why I don't see those types of comments as just someone's opinion or harmless.

And yet, unfortunately, that is part of their First Amendment rights.

But I agree with you.

Why are you so concerned with trying to disprove it was a hate crime?

Because I have followed true crime long enough to know that a thorough investigation turns up weird things, weeks and months later. There is no way in a chaotic, tragic setting such as this, the investigation is over. See the DeeDee & Gypsy thread. I am not saying it is not a hate crime. The Justice Dept. opened an investigation at 8am that won't be done for months. There is just no way to know for a fact what all happened or what was said until depositions are taken, grand juries convened. This will take some time. Emotional responses to what someone said that some else said is not a fact. As Tricia posted earlier, because you read it or saw a video you cannot link to, does not make it a fact. But three posts later, people will treat as a fact. Then three months from now, someone will be discussing a statement as a fact and spend half a day looking back for a link that never existed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member